Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Chinston Wurchill posted:

The Piper/Mean Gene/Orndorff one is already up and it was a fun watch.

Caught the last 15 minutes or so of Cena/Rock II before NXT and found it really boring. Was it that boring live? I forget.

Yeah, it was especially disappointing since Cena/Rock I was better than I expected.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

Cena Rock 2 is easily my least favorite big match.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
Mania 29 was pretty underwhelming in general aside from the Taker/Punk match.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
All I remember from Rock/Cena 2 is really the end and wondering why the only moves they could do were the Rock Bottom and the Attitude Adjustment.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

It didn't help that the buildup for the previous year was great, and actually had you wondering who would win, really building the "once in a lifetime" tag.

Then they just did it again and just like most sequels it wasn't as cool. Twice in a lifetime just doesn't have the same ring I guess.

Two Beans
Nov 27, 2003

dabbin' on em
Pillbug

MassRafTer posted:

It's a Calvacade of stars. An Arcade of stars would be Starcade.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KI9ojroPMGE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vmYrSphGSfE

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

IcePhoenix posted:

It didn't help that the buildup for the previous year was great, and actually had you wondering who would win, really building the "once in a lifetime" tag.

Then they just did it again and just like most sequels it wasn't as cool. Twice in a lifetime just doesn't have the same ring I guess.

The branding for it pissed me off because eventually they revealed it had always been a three year plan starting at WM27. If it's a three year plan, maybe don't bill it as "Once in a Lifetime" and "Never Before, Never Again".

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

sticklefifer posted:

The branding for it pissed me off because eventually they revealed it had always been a three year plan starting at WM27. If it's a three year plan, maybe don't bill it as "Once in a Lifetime" and "Never Before, Never Again".

"Never Before, Never Again" was the bill for their tag match I think though so I think they at least held to that, to be fair.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Thats because Miz loving ruined the buyrate.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

IcePhoenix posted:

"Never Before, Never Again" was the bill for their tag match I think though so I think they at least held to that, to be fair.

It was used for the Survivor Series tag match, but they kept using it running up to Mania 28 along with Once in a Lifetime.

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

oldpainless posted:

Thats because Miz loving ruined the buyrate.

that's not true at all and is a complete bullshit corporate excuse

r-truth helped ruin it

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

it's amazing to me how much people cared about the subtitle for a marquee wrestling match

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

It was like she was evicting walking garbage.
Pillbug

Big Coffin Hunter posted:

that's not true at all and is a complete bullshit corporate excuse

r-truth helped ruin it

r-truth helped save it from being worse, you mean

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

oatgan posted:

it's amazing to me how much people cared about the subtitle for a marquee wrestling match

Well c'mon, it's a total bullshit tagline. It may as well have been "This is the only chance you'll ever get to see this match! Ever! EVER! Buy Wrestlemania!"

Then they just did the same match the following year. There had to have been better ways to make it sound important outside of "once in a lifetime".

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

The once in a lifetime phrase was actually referring to Connor the Crusher

The American Dream
Mar 1, 2007
Don't Forget My Balls
In reference to HHH eating a clean pin right?

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

The American Dream posted:

In reference to HHH eating a clean pin right?
If they can just find a cure.... The Asskicker's getting his loving win back

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Wait, Triple H is the Asskicker? I thought it was the Undertaker because "Bad asses always kick an rear end in a top hat's rear end"

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

you're confusing the big dog for the asskicker, a completely understandable mistake

Bard Maddox
Feb 15, 2012

I'm just a sick guy, I'm really just a dirty guy.

Big Coffin Hunter posted:

you're confusing the big dog for the asskicker, a completely understandable mistake

roman reigns is the big dog

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

Bard Maddox posted:

roman reigns is the big dog

not until he beats taker in his own yard

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

I thought roman was the top dog

Choom Gangster
Oct 29, 2006

Metaphorically, the WWE thinks really highly of dogs.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
Because I'm insane I'm going through all the stuff I missed (including Tough Enough, Raws, Smackdowns, PPVs etc.) from when I stopped watching wrestling in 2002. I'm on Wrestlemania X8 now and can someone explain why I'm watching a Saliva concert and why loving Scott Hall is fighting Austin? I watched the previous PPV and RAW so I get the story, but it seems really lame to stick Austin with such a weak feud. It's kinda lovely to see his stock fall like that.

OldTennisCourt fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Sep 13, 2015

Xerzes
May 16, 2012

OldTennisCourt posted:

Because I'm insane I'm going through all the stuff I missed (including Tough Enough, Raws, Smackdowns, PPVs etc.) from when I stopped watching wrestling in 2002. I'm on Wrestlemania X8 now and can someone explain why I'm watching a Saliva concert and why loving Scott Hall is fighting Austin? I watched the previous PPV and RAW so I get the story, but it seems really lame to stick Austin with such a weak feud. It's kinda lovely to see his stock fall like that.

They wanted Austin/Hogan. Austin said no, because Hogan.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
You're not truly going through the early 2000s unless you're watching Velocity, which the Network doesn't have yet.

Goddammit WWE, you promised at launch you'd have it.

Monkeycheese
Feb 24, 2002

ninja minúsculo

sticklefifer posted:

You're not truly going through the early 2000s unless you're watching Velocity, which the Network doesn't have yet.

Goddammit WWE, you promised at launch you'd have it.

no they didn't.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Monkeycheese posted:

no they didn't.

When they were doing the content promos, they showed Velocity and Heat logos along with Raw and Smackdown when talking about what you'll get with access to WWE's archives, so yeah, they did advertise it that way.

Monkeycheese
Feb 24, 2002

ninja minúsculo

sticklefifer posted:

When they were doing the content promos, they showed Velocity and Heat logos along with Raw and Smackdown when talking about what you'll get with access to WWE's archives, so yeah, they did advertise it that way.

they never said they'd have it at launch

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

They didn't not say it.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Monkeycheese posted:

they never said they'd have it at launch

"They promised they'd have it at launch" is different from "they promised at launch they'd have it".

Either way they said they'd have it and I want it. :mad:

ARMBAR A COP
Nov 24, 2007

I need to relive the Paul London/Akio series on velocity

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

PUNKS DIET SODA posted:

I need to relive the Paul London/Akio series on velocity

YES

As the resident dude who harps on the lack of Velocity, let me just say that I am disappointed in the lack of Velocity. The Saturday night 1-2 punch of Velocity and Confidential was the best two hour block.

Smackdown was way better than Raw at the time, but factoring in the B-shows makes the brand split into a complete blowout.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
That's really weird. For some reason I'd always heard/assumed Smackdown was the B show while RAW was the one to watch during the brand split.

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
I want to hear Tazz's famous solar system remark. I think it was on Velocity or Heat or something.

mclast
Nov 12, 2008

catchphrase over

OldTennisCourt posted:

That's really weird. For some reason I'd always heard/assumed Smackdown was the B show while RAW was the one to watch during the brand split.

Heyman wasn't running it the whole time.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

OldTennisCourt posted:

The plot happened on Raw, SD was basically just "some dudes have matches, they are good".

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

OldTennisCourt posted:

Raw was still the flagship as far as WWE were concerned (and almost always got the better end of the Draft), but there were lengthy periods of SD clearly being the superior brand, especially around 2002 with the 'Smackdown Six', and again from about 2007-2009 with Mania 24's main event and the Punk/Hardy feud.

Muddy Burphy
Dec 4, 2010

The #RXT REVOLUTION has two words for ya..
SCOOP IT!

:frogc00l:

he knows...
Vince wasn't as hands-on with Smackdown, so aside from a few bleak time periods, SmackDown seemed to be the more solid show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
IMO, it was around the time of Wrestlemania 27 where the gap between A and B shows became really pronounced (even though Raw had always been the true "flagship"). The big gold belt opened the show, and was never really presented as equal to Raw's WWE Championship again.