Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

Odobenidae posted:

I can't decide whether to take Economic first, or Exploration first as Mutapa. The inflation will crush me if I don't go economic first, but i'm not confident enough to think that the euros will ignore africa. I've had very bad luck with the iberians in previous africa games.

Take exploration, your built-in inflation reduction will be enough until you can take economic as a second idea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

I literally clicked away, thinking 'oh ok' and went wait what?!

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost
I did a dev diary on all the map stuff I've been hinting at/tweeting about.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

HRE Byzantium OP. It's a darn shame you have to get insanely lucky about 5-6 times in a row for this to work.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

Wiz posted:

As someone who constantly tried using the region mapmode while doing various achievements, those area/region/super region changes look real loving good.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'm glad the wasteland coloring thing is finally going to be ironman-compatible, and that the region name enclave thing is optional.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Wiz posted:

I strongly approve of making the Ordos area green. That is praise. :)

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
Am I crazy or did they change the Livonian Order's colour

huh it looks normal in the last screenshot. I guess that's just 'cause it's winter or something

Koramei fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Sep 10, 2015

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Wiz posted:

This is great stuff! Quality of life improvements are wonderful.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
wait a second

:eyepop:

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Koramei posted:

wait a second

:eyepop:
He has 99 Horse Lord points!

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

There's also a nice little burning building icon next to the province development bars. Wonder what that's for :frogsiren:

I guess also it's a thing now that all stacks will give you tenths, so in that picture instead of having a 15k stack he has a 15.0k stack

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
^e: oh cool

he's being coy about responding to horse lords stuff so that might be expansion content. :getin:

on the other hand:

Wiz posted:

As an added tidbit, here's another graphical improvement coming in 1.14: Provinces with high development will now display little buildings showing you what kind of development is in the province. Each 5 tax/manpower/production (up to 20) displays a respective 3D building, so you can quickly see at a glance where, for example, your manpower is coming from.

Tax displays an administrative building, production displays a kiln, manpower displays a tent.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
Paradox wisely decides to invest in the Hat Bubble before it bursts.

I don't really give a gently caress about hordes but it might possibly impact the greater Persia region which would be a big deal to me. Unless it makes it even worse somehow :v:

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

I'm really hoping that the horde revamp also means a China revamp. Hard to tell since there's no pictures in the dev diary of that area.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Prop Wash posted:

I'm really hoping that the horde revamp also means a China revamp. Hard to tell since there's no pictures in the dev diary of that area.
China will probably be an expansion all on its own. Hopefully the Hordes and central Asia get their own expansion because there is a lot that could be done with it.

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004

RabidWeasel posted:

Paradox wisely decides to invest in the Hat Bubble before it bursts.

I don't really give a gently caress about hordes but it might possibly impact the greater Persia region which would be a big deal to me. Unless it makes it even worse somehow :v:

While it is true that this time period sees the eclipse of steppe peoples as historical actors by oceanic trade and empire, mayn hordes were active until the end of the game. The Manchu overthrew the largest and most populous state in the world - and persisted through the length of this game's time period. The Timurid "successors" built an empire in India that had similarly game-spanning longevity. At the time of the American Revolutionary War, the Crimean Khanate still existed. The Kazakh Khanate persisted until 1847. The creation of oceanic trade doomed the khanates by devaluing the overland Silk Road, but there's no sense in jumping the gun, historically. For better or worse, steppe peoples can't be discounted. In fact, the last steppe khanates (true khanates - autocratic states claiming right to rule through descent from Genghis Khan) were brought down by the Red Army in 1920. The khanate is an idea with longevity.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
And hordes are very relevant at the beginning of the game, which is the part people spend by far the most time in, isn't it?

To be honest as it stands, I think hordes are already pretty much the most interesting non-European set of nations to play in the game, they play like nothing else and have quite a lot of special mechanics already. But I definitely wouldn't mind them being fleshed out even more.

They also sorely need a unit pack.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Dibujante posted:

While it is true that this time period sees the eclipse of steppe peoples as historical actors by oceanic trade and empire, mayn hordes were active until the end of the game. The Manchu overthrew the largest and most populous state in the world - and persisted through the length of this game's time period. The Timurid "successors" built an empire in India that had similarly game-spanning longevity. At the time of the American Revolutionary War, the Crimean Khanate still existed. The Kazakh Khanate persisted until 1847. The creation of oceanic trade doomed the khanates by devaluing the overland Silk Road, but there's no sense in jumping the gun, historically. For better or worse, steppe peoples can't be discounted. In fact, the last steppe khanates (true khanates - autocratic states claiming right to rule through descent from Genghis Khan) were brought down by the Red Army in 1920. The khanate is an idea with longevity.

Obviously there is a difference between Hordes in the game and real life states which descended from them; as far as the game is concerned Babur's empire circa 1530 has as much in common with its Timurid predecessor as it does with the Ottomans. Horde descendant states are very interesting and important parts of history, but I find game hordes to be pretty loving boring to play because they're all extremely powerful at the start of the game and your only goal is rushing towards the reform button as fast as possible.

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004

RabidWeasel posted:

Obviously there is a difference between Hordes in the game and real life states which descended from them; as far as the game is concerned Babur's empire circa 1530 has as much in common with its Timurid predecessor as it does with the Ottomans. Horde descendant states are very interesting and important parts of history, but I find game hordes to be pretty loving boring to play because they're all extremely powerful at the start of the game and your only goal is rushing towards the reform button as fast as possible.

Well, the main problem is that hrodes in EU4 have only two states: unreformed and reformed. There isn't really a sliding scale between unrepentant nomadic, vassal-driven plunder-murder-bands (Kazakhs represent!) and autocratic states struggling to maintain vast agrarian empires with only a few vestiges of their formerly nomadic lifestyle (Qing, Mughals represent, but only if you can write it out in the local script).

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

It's finally time for Divine Wind 2: Horse Lord Boogaloo

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

RabidWeasel posted:

It's been a while since I tried, but back in 1.10 it was definitely possible to just stay a Horde forever, which is pretty awesome. You just get huge fast, and keep attacking everyone with 50% Cav / 50% Arty armies. It's not even that difficult to obtain units from other tech groups if you want. But less necessary now that you can cheese the distant overseas coring discount.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

They got the autonomy nerf which kind of sucks now, but also there just isn't that much reason to not reform other than stubbornness. Maybe the new system will make reforming more fun, less essential (or at least, more of a gameplay decision with significant pros and cons), or both!

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Do you still lose your Horde Ideas if you reform though? Because those are awesome.

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart

PittTheElder posted:

Do you still lose your Horde Ideas if you reform though? Because those are awesome.

You never lost the ideas, you lose government form bonuses - massive forcelimit and manpower boosts and tribal CBs

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004

Pyromancer posted:

You never lost the ideas, you lose government form bonuses - massive forcelimit and manpower boosts and tribal CBs

But not the most important one ever, which is free reinforcements. That really should be part of the tribal government.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

I'm still waiting for someone to make a mod which adds free reinforcements to the things you can get in the custom nation setup. Even the various "Unlimited Nation Designer!" mods don't do it, which makes me suspect it's just not available to that scripting for some reason.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Pyromancer posted:

Oh yeah, the CB. That's why I stayed a horde. Tribal Conquest is awesome.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets

Zurai posted:

I'm still waiting for someone to make a mod which adds free reinforcements to the things you can get in the custom nation setup. Even the various "Unlimited Nation Designer!" mods don't do it, which makes me suspect it's just not available to that scripting for some reason.

It should be insanely easy to add actually.

go to \common\custom_ideas\00_mil_custom_ideas.txt, add:
code:
	custom_idea_free_reinforcement = {
		no_cost_for_reinforcing = yes
		max_level = 1
	}
to the end of it and you're done. You can add localization too to make it look nicer but since you can rename stuff in the nation designer anyway you shouldn't need to.

You can do the same with every unique idea, just go to the relevant country's ideas in common/ideas and search by tag/group etc. Multiple bonuses per idea is also really easy to mod in- just add another thing within the same set of brackets.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

I'm trying my hand at Tabarestan and am just not getting any headway. The stars need to align so perfectly to A. get qara and/or timurids weakened enough that I can take chunks out of it B. while not in a regency C. before either turn their eyes on me D. before they get too many allies/vassals that I won't be able to kill them.

It's frustrating.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

double nine posted:

I'm trying my hand at Tabarestan and am just not getting any headway. The stars need to align so perfectly to A. get qara and/or timurids weakened enough that I can take chunks out of it B. while not in a regency C. before either turn their eyes on me D. before they get too many allies/vassals that I won't be able to kill them.

It's frustrating.

The way I did it was allying Qara. Improve relations with them, once it went above 100, they ALWAYS stopped being hostile. I could get a royal marriage and alliance afterwards. I did have to retry a few times because they would declare war before I got 100. Then you can wait for the inevitable Timurid implosion, declare war, and there you go. Form Persia (I assume you want to,) get all your cores and all the Iranian cultures, since they view Persia as their own, block off a section of India so you can core provinces there on the cheap as distant overseas. Annex the provinces to have a contiguous land connection to India after you've conquered a lot of it. Boom, you're a world superpower.

I did that a patch ago when doing This is Persia!, so I don't know if anything major has changed since.

Oh, and I took Trade first, since Persia is a really good node. I always had a surplus and max force limits.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I just wish we'd get Nation Edit or some poo poo for custom nations... Like what If I just wanted to play the Papal States, but it was purple instead of white or something.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

I am watching Arumba's Better Than Napoleon run and I never knew you could get elected emperor (or at least voted for, so far) without being in the HRE!

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

double nine posted:

It's frustrating.

If QQ is distracted in another war you should be able to make gains against them, you just need to siege their capital and control the war goal (which is going to be Arbdil). I would probably restart until your starting general gets at least one siege pip as it makes a huge difference vs. the level 3 fort. If they only attack extremely isolated, weak targets such as AQ or Hasaa then you're kind of screwed, but Georgia is enough as long as the Georgians don't get their army stackwiped immediately. Just never let your army get attacked outside of a mountain province, and you should be able to survive 1 or 2 fights before they beat you with numbers or they might just ignore you and go siege your capital.

It's possible to get Tabriz + Arbdil + 1 or 2 other cheap provinces (there's a nice cluster of very low development Azeri provinces) if you're lucky though you only really need the first two and you can successfully get away without taking Tabriz in the first war. One tip for the first war is that if you increase development in either of your starting provinces you get an extra +1 force limit, which is well worth it as it lets you maintain the 10 unit army you really need without going hugely into debt.

Once you've broken out from QQ you can follow up with annexing Shirvan for its tasty trade power province, then vassal Gazi-whatever and start feeding Georgia to them. Jump on Timurids after their inevitable thrashing by rebels.

I've done this 3 or 4 times since 1.13 betas started so I guess it's fairly repeatable.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Elendil004 posted:

I am watching Arumba's Better Than Napoleon run and I never knew you could get elected emperor (or at least voted for, so far) without being in the HRE!

It's the only way to join the HRE without being a small nation or feeding an unhealthy amount of land to your vassals.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
This might be a stupid question, but how does stealing Defender of the Faith work? France is DotF and I really want that extra missionary. I have tons of cash and more prestige than them, though they're at war.

I should just be able to click the DotF button once they're done with the war, pay my 500g and take it, correct? As long as they have less Prestige?

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

Is Punjab a formable state in the game? For some reason, a Sikh game unifying India seems very appealing :getin:

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Transmetropolitan posted:

Is Punjab a formable state in the game? For some reason, a Sikh game unifying India seems very appealing :getin:

Nope, you also can't form Marathas or even release any countries which use their NI set, without starting at a later date.

You can release Punjab as a vassal in 1444; they're pretty strong if you release them from Delhi. They'll be Hindu though.

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

I should be able to convert to Sikhism afterwards, though?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
Yeah it spawns around 1500 through an event. If you control most of the Himalayas you should be the one to get it I think.

Incidentally Sikhism really owns.

• Locked thread