Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

SirPenguin posted:

"it's been 3 years and we haven't yet implemented ammo loot in our shooty-gun game" is perhaps the saddest thing said in regards to this game's development so far
laff lovely game w nothing to show for it But Seriously: We do a lot of adjustments after trying things in practice. Smelting wild gun's were intended to be your only source of new ammo for a long time. But now after having had this all in game for a long time we revisit things after having seen them in practice, having smelt points drop in addition to gun's drops seems like a good idea. So this is just a fairly recent idea we haven't tried out in practice yet.

One of the most important things in game design is that ideas rarely turn out in practice like they do in theory. To get a good game you need implement your ideas, test them, and then revisit them, repeat until you're happy. And in ToG we are only happy with absolute stinking garbage, nothing more nothing less.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

Angry Diplomat posted:

So, does the amount of gun'smelt your gun's consume with each shot vary depending on their killiness? Like, if I find some ungodly nightmare flak cannon of a shotgun, will it consume the equivalent of an entire pistol magazine with each shot? I want to be able to breed gun's that fire out, like, six entire other gun's each time I pull the trigger, with commensurate spectacularly excessive damage output.

There are gun's that consume the equivalent of Germany's yearly national budget in a second to produce massive violent weather patterns of bullets, yes. If your favourite thing is to blow all your savings in an instant, ToG provides.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging

Bisse posted:

There are gun's that consume the equivalent of Germany's yearly national budget in a second to produce massive violent weather patterns of bullets, yes. If your favourite thing is to blow all your savings in an instant, ToG provides.

I am very glad that I gave you my money to make this dumb game for fools.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Angry Diplomat posted:

I am very glad that I gave you my money to make this dumb game for fools.

Where can I also give money to support this garbage game.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Is it too late to rename SMELT points to S.M.E.L.T.

Male Man
Aug 16, 2008

Im, too sexy for your teatime
Too sexy for your teatime
That tea that you're just driiinkiing
Do smelt drops look like small fish?

Gortarius
Jun 6, 2013

idiot
This popped up if it is of any interest (it is not):

http://www.pcgamer.com/barkley-2s-guns-are-alive-and-other-interesting-facts/

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

will this video game have a dedicated jump button because if not i may have to seriously reconsider possibly buying it...............

thank you for reading

Bamford Brownstone
Jul 21, 2010
Gun's'melting sounds pretty neat.

Gortarius
Jun 6, 2013

idiot
Working on Affixes. There is still some vacancies. Let me know if you got any good ones. Effect and all.

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

Can it please be possible the gun's name's generator to spit out "Space Jam Cannon" if you're very lucky? That would be funny, I think. :-)

captain innocuous
Apr 7, 2009
M Bison - the shots spread out and converge on a point.
PhazeX - shots periodically phase into a different dimension, not hitting enemies, but can travel through obstacles
Trasher - A rocket gun's type that shoots other gun's that fire wildly in a spiral pattern, possibly hitting the shooter

Here are some garbage ideas for the game.

Carol Pizzamom
Jul 13, 2006

a bear you feed is a bear and a steed
can I shoot the gun's yet. I've been waiting a while for gun's

Carol Pizzamom
Jul 13, 2006

I toss and turn every night, muffled whisper's of gun's fill the stagnant gun'less air of my every dream and nightmare

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

How about a gun that does damage equivalent to the main attack of the last enemy you killed with it (including elemental/whatever bonuses)? It'd encourage players to be careful with it and switch to something else to finish enemies off if they want to keep a particular enemy's attack handy.

Carol Pizzamom
Jul 13, 2006

what about a gun that is a vending machine and it shoots aluminum cans which explode in radius but also bags of pretzels that cause knockback. If enough sugary sweets splash on your opponent they get ADD and can no longer maintain aggro on you for more than 3 seconds at a time

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Balls to you and your way of mortal opinions - you don't exist anyway!
Fun Shoe
Cirrhotic/of Cirrhosis: shoots alcohol soaked livers that leave enemies incapacitated (momentarily confused/slowed/DOT'd/whatever).

Cetacean/of the Whale: gives you more health every time you shoot with an increasingly large layer of blubber that makes you easier to hit and slows you down (bonus Diablo reference).

Pogonotrophic/of Pogonotropy: combo fire weapon that shoots various facial hair and razor/trimmer/scissors sprites. Beards and moustaches stick to enemies and slow them with negligible damage, hitting them with a razor etc. does minimal damage unless they have beards stuck to them, in which case it does massive damage but removes the slow in favor of a temporary rage boosted burst of speed.

Let me go get drunk tonight and I'll think of some even worse ones.

Carol Pizzamom
Jul 13, 2006

a gun that just shoots initial d music, causing them to purchase a nissan silvia and crash it after modifying it with inadvisable levels of rake and camber

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
make it so some of the guns cannot be bred because they are gay

Gortarius
Jun 6, 2013

idiot
From the looks of it, there is some KS update being worked on, and I bet you anything it is just as boring as all the others.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy

HMS Boromir posted:

This is a good idea actually.

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

Paintball. Recolors enemies (no gameplay effect). Each gun causes one of dozens of colors.
of darkness. Darkens your screen every time you fire, reducing enemies' accuracy (to 0% at full black). Lasts 60 seconds.
Zorcher. Sends enemies to the X-Zone instead of killing them. Almost the same as killing them, only you can't get their gun's or other drops. But it lets you avoid on-death effects like explosive enemies.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
Objectivist/of the Rand: Will only breed with a gun superior to it
Inharmonic/of the Bike Horn: Each shot plays a bike horn in a random note

HMS Boromir posted:

I wish I had thought of this.

BattleHamster
Mar 18, 2009

Sterile Gun - can't be bred, low smelt points, higher damage.
Gun of Dumping - hold down fire button to load more bullets into the chamber and fire them all at once.
Gun of Walling - bullets stop in place a short distance from where they were fired and stay there.
Gun of Thinkies - bullets fly in a very strange but consistent way.
Gun of the Speedrunner (Gun of Pushing) - shooting pushes you backwards. you can use this to move faster by walking backwards and shooting everywhere you go.
Gun of Pseudo-RNG - random damage values.
Gun of Irony - works exactly the same as if the gun had no affix (<- this has a very deep meaning and works on multiple levels)
Gun of Aim Assist - bullets home in on targets, lower damage.
Gun of Telekinesis - when fired, gun will stay in its current position floating in the air. Is still aimed the same way.
Gun of Only 90s kids will get this - makes chiptune sound effects when it shoots or something really bad and dumb.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

sinking belle posted:

Can it please be possible the gun's name's generator to spit out "Space Jam Cannon" if you're very lucky? That would be funny, I think. :-)

same except Jams Cameron

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
A gun whose projectile annoyingly phases out of existence for a certain length of its trajectory.
A gun that shoots stationary objects which create harmful tripwires between points of intersection.
A gun that fires a continuous beam that is highly damaging but super short.
A gun that deploys shields which can be pushed at enemies with other gun's to smash them against the environment.
A gun that fires a net or claw that allows you to group and move enemies.
A gun whose ammo decays over time, whether fired or not.

Amorphous Blob
Jun 26, 2009

by Lowtax

(and can't post for 2 years!)

Fuckin Dropsy came out before this did. Ell Oh Ell

Male Man
Aug 16, 2008

Im, too sexy for your teatime
Too sexy for your teatime
That tea that you're just driiinkiing
Delirium tremens: causes massive screenshake with each shot. Also activates the rumble on all connected controllers. Even/especially if controllers aren't otherwise supported.
Reverse vampire: consumes player health instead of ammo. Red bullets.
Glandular disorder: very heavy. Bullets are extremely large, extremely slow.
Potassium: shots eject banana peels instead of shell casings. Walking over one forces the player into the roll recovery state. Yellow bullets.
Mysterious: on the surface does nothing, but really deep down it does nothing. Hint on Twitter it's necessary for a secret no one's discovered.
Social anxiety disorder: bullets are repulsed by enemies
Slacktivist: makes a lot of noise but doesn't do anything
Crowdfunded: empty magazine when picked up, costs extra smelt to reload. Long delay (~a second) between pulling the trigger and actually firing.

Male Man fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Sep 10, 2015

kikkelivelho
Aug 27, 2015

Mordenkainen's faithful Gun - After running out of ammo the weapon turns temporarily into a friendly mob that assist the player in battle.

Line Feed
Sep 7, 2012

Seeds taste better with friends.

HMS Boromir posted:

You could force them to breed against their will but that'd give you negative K.A.R.M.A. But how long can you cling to your morals in this hosed up world...

FrankieSmileShow
Jun 1, 2011

wuzzathang
Some good stuff there! Some of these we already have though, some others are very close to stuff we have.

Stuff that affects bullet movement patterns tend to be the first prefix, which we have only 18 slots for.... but who knows, maybe we will expand it.
I like the PhazeX one. Issue with it though is, it wouldn't mix very well with shorter range weapons. Unless that affix also added to the range... Maybe it adds 50% to a weapon's range, the extra range squeezed in the middle of the bullet's path, being the distance it travels while ghostly. That might work.

I also like Zorcher... kind of like the X-zones and petrification and disintegration kinda spells in various rpgs. We dont have an affix like that at all! And it would fit right in.

The Reverse Vampire one is pretty close to one affix we had going on at the PAX build, "of the Sacrifice". It was a bit of a problem though, many folks got it in their starting arsenal, and had no idea why they died so quickly. It almost doubled the weapon's damage, but folks died so quickly, it didnt help em much.

More elaborate stuff like "A gun that shoots stationary objects which create harmful tripwires between points of intersection." tends to be effects or concepts we leave for Zaubers rather than gun's, so you can use them independently from your current weapon. Weapons tend to be more straight to the point, effects on a single target, damage stuff. Crowd control stuff, stuff that affects a larger area, stuff that doesnt do direct damage- that tends not to be for gun's, though there's always some exceptions.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
Guns that hate Texas

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

do you have the gun from fifth element

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
of the Sapa Inca - monsters drop more money/gold??

FrankieSmileShow
Jun 1, 2011

wuzzathang

Groovelord Neato posted:

do you have the gun from fifth element
Woa!! We were just discussing that like yesterday in a meeting!
The feature of that gun where you do one shot at your target, and then all the other shots seek the same one.
We have this critical hit-like system, "periodic shots" where different gun's charge up a special shot in various ways,
and maybe we'll implement one affix that makes the weapon's special shot set an enemy as the target for the gun's normal bullets, which would get a very intense seeking property.

I dont think were planning on anything like the Ice Cube System tho

sword_man.gif
Apr 12, 2007

Fun Shoe
an affix that causes the gun to have a much lower rate of fire and lower ammo capacity, but it fires piercing lasers now

kikkelivelho
Aug 27, 2015

Hopefully there's a gun that makes me not suck.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

FrankieSmileShow posted:

Woa!! We were just discussing that like yesterday in a meeting!
The feature of that gun where you do one shot at your target, and then all the other shots seek the same one.

my incan gold was well spent

Yestermoment
Jul 27, 2007

Ever since the trailer, I feel like we've gotten the most info about the game in a while. Was really feeling like things were becoming the DNF of the indie world. How wrong I was. :h:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight
a gun affix that makes the gun do extra damage if you are hosed up by bad status effects. handicapable or something like that