Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
When I played a pair of games this past weekend with my dad, we used missions from the 5th ed Battle Missions book and he used the 4th edition Orks codex. If I were to start a new Ork army or play those Orks against people outside of casual games with my dad then yeah, I'd buy the new book, but right now there's not really a problem with it. Same thing with my Marines codex - if I go to a tournament or whatever I'll get the new one, but even if I were to play with the guys in my gaming group I doubt they'd care all that much if I used the 6th ed one. As for Dark Angels, I was actually happy to pick that codex up since it was both a straight upgrade from the last codex rules-wise, and it'd been a few years since the previous DA book came out.

Also, there's a new BFG PC game coming out and holy poo poo is it pretty:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gWteWul9cBE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hixson
Mar 27, 2009

panascope posted:

We had to buy the Horus Heresy books to put an end to Bulbasaur's incessant cheating.

O yeah I'm proxying this guy with the melta gun as a standard bearer. The standard lets you re-roll everything. You want to see the rules? I have the pdf on my miniature laptop in the other room. You can go scroll through it while I murder your army with 10 other special rules you don't know

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender
I own the paper codexes but these days I just use pdfs on my tablet when I game because it's so much easier. I've actually started editing those pdfs in Acrobat and removing everything but the army list, armory, and unit entry pages. The end result is a surprisingly useful 20-30 page digital document. I still carry the mini 7th ed rulebook most of the time, though.

e: also, gently caress GW for their stupid exclusive limited edition rules bundles. I didn't attend Warhammer World and I'm never going to, but I fully plan on using that Kharybdis-Berserker formation

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
:siren: Boon, I just sent a PM out about what eldar stuff I have. Let me know if you are interested!

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer

SRM posted:

Also, there's a new BFG PC game coming out and holy poo poo is it pretty:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gWteWul9cBE

Hmm, needs more scrunts.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

LordAba posted:

:siren: Boon, I just sent a PM out about what eldar stuff I have. Let me know if you are interested!

Send me a pm too after boon?

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Possibly of interest to folks in this thread, a new trailer for the Battlefleet Gothic game in the works.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

LingcodKilla posted:

Send me a pm too after boon?

Will do before the week is out.

Oh man, finally completed putting my last Tyrannocyte/Sporocyst. Putting together those chimneys is a pain. Now if only the Sporocyst was worth eating up a heavy slot...

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010
Yeah, I just use PDF's on my tablet. GW is the kind of company where if you bought a wedding from them they would charge you for the annual polishing.

Big ups to the people that set the chapters and such so you can jump to them.

The Sex Cannon
Nov 22, 2004

Eh. I'm pretty content with my current logo.

Cooked Auto posted:

Elysians or bust.

I think you spelled Steel Legion wrong.

Yeah, I'm curious about AdMech, too. I won a bunch of Skitaari stuff at NOVA, which means I'll probably have to start a ~1000 pts of skitaari, which will make me want to do a ~1000 pts of AdMech, which will make me want to get at least one Knight. This loving hobby.

Fsmhunk
Jul 19, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Can a 1000 point list even hope to hurt a knight?

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

The Sex Cannon posted:

I think you spelled Steel Legion wrong.

Well it well it was either those guys, or Krieg or Steel Legion. I'm honestly a fan of most IG model designs to be honest.

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

Fsmhunk posted:

Can a 1000 point list even hope to hurt a knight?

Necrons or Eldar could definitely cope

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
AdMech too. They have a startling amount of Haywire weapons.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

JesusIsTehCool posted:

Its the one thing you buy for your army that you use everytime time you play so I guess it has always just felt worth it.

except its not just a one off payment cause now codexexexex are a yearly thing and sometimes you gotta buy 2 for your army if Gee Dub wants to poo poo on you a bit extra

its dumb and bad

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Battlefleet Gothic gameplay trailer, looks like it has some potential

Or I could read the top of the page, and then again further down

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Sep 10, 2015

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
I wasnt onboard until I saw a ship ram another one, but thats p cool

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Ramming giant phallic objects is the best.... What's wrong with you?

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
no thats what got me going is what im saying

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Real men don't use bolters.

Cooked Auto posted:

Well it well it was either those guys, or Krieg or Steel Legion. I'm honestly a fan of most IG model designs to be honest.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
I dislike Cadian models, not necessarily because of anything intrinsic but because they are so overexposed.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
I loves me some Tallarns:

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
someone convert a cool Big Boss mini using a talaran dude, cheers

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
With the rapid release/minimal changes I'm surprised more people don't just stick to :filez: outside the core rulebook.

Hixson posted:

O yeah I'm proxying this guy with the melta gun as a standard bearer. The standard lets you re-roll everything. You want to see the rules? I have the pdf on my miniature laptop in the other room. You can go scroll through it while I murder your army with 10 other special rules you don't know

I'm so good at warhammer rules that I lost a bet so bad I'm forced to refer to Panascope as "warmaster" whenever we game

panascope posted:

We had to buy the Horus Heresy books to put an end to Bulbasaur's incessant cheating

How do you like the books so far?

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010

Ilor posted:

I loves me some Tallarns:

Tallarns are the best. Or Steel Legion.

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

Ilor posted:

AdMech too. They have a startling amount of Haywire weapons.

By that standard, if the 1000 points of Tau included even just a couple mechanized Fire Warrior squads with EMP grenades they could probably handle the Knight in close combat.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

JerryLee posted:

I dislike Cadian models, not necessarily because of anything intrinsic but because they are so overexposed.

I like their art but not so much their models because they are, as you say, overexposed and kinda stiff and boring as well.

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

BULBASAUR posted:

How do you like the books so far?

The books themselves are a really nice quality. I'm really glad I didn't have to buy 3 different books to get all my rules or whatever. Most things seem pretty balanced. Yeah, some of the rites of war have goofy drawbacks (no fortifications oh no) but you can do so much different stuff it's neat. Justaerin Terminators are some serious bullshit though and I need Ghost Hand to write a strongly worded letter about buffing them.

panascope fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Sep 11, 2015

Sleepyjacked
Sep 21, 2010

Moola posted:

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
I'm helping someone write campaign rules and I'm taking the army list rules and battle impacts. What do you guys think of this/what holes am I missing?

quote:

Army List Construction
- 5,000 Points
- All units must be chosen as part of a legal detachment
- Up to 4 detachments may be selected
- Come the Apocalypse allies may not be chosen
- Codex releases mid-campaign will not be used
- May include up to 3 Lord of War choices
- Super-Heavy and Gargantuan Creatures are allowed
- All Army Lists will be made public once built.

Battle Army Selection
- Any number or collection of units may be chosen from the army list without regard for Force Organization up to and not to exceed the battle points limit, the following applies:
o Special rules gained from originating formation or detachment are retained, this includes any dedicated transports gained as part of a detachment. Dedicated transports retained in this way must accompany the unit chosen for a battle.
o A single Lord of War may be selected for each 1,000 points. This restriction is lifted if there are less than 1,000 points remaining in your Army List.
- A player is not required to reveal army selection to his/her opponent until just prior to the roll for determining deployment.
- During the course of the campaign, additional points may be gained from battles as conserved points and may be used to purchase new units anytime between campaign games. These units must adhere to all of the above rules for army selection.

Battle Results and Impact to Army Lists
- For each non-LoW unit destroyed (fleeing does not count as destroyed for this purpose) during battle, roll a d6, on a 5+ the unit is restored to full strength. If the roll is failed, the unit is destroyed.
- For each non-LoW unit below 50% (including vehicle hull points or multi-wound model wounds) at the end of a battle, roll a d6, on a 4+ the unit is restored to full strength. If the roll is failed, the unit counts as destroyed but the remaining points may be conserved.
- For each non-LoW unit at or above 50% (including vehicle hull points or multi-wound model wounds) at the end of a battle, roll a d6, on a 3+ the unit is restored to full strength. If the roll is failed, the unit retains its current size/wound/HP count. If this brings them below the squad minimum, the unit is considered destroyed but the remaining points may be conserved.
- For LoW units, roll a d6 for each hull point or wound lost, on a 5+ a single HP or wound is restored per dice roll.
- A LoW which has been destroyed may only roll for lost HP/wounds if the controlling player has won the battle (recovered the wreckage/carcass). Roll for HP/wounds in the same manner, however, a 6+ is required to regain a single HP/wound. If no HP/wounds are recovered the unit is destroyed.
- For each battle fought where a damaged/wounded LoW is not a participant, it may roll again at a 5+, up to half of its lost HP/wounds rounding down – this means a LoW missing one HP/wound may not recover to full strength after the initial battle.
- Independent characters and dedicated transports count as separate units for the purposes of determining whether a unit is restored following a battle.
- For units which flee off the board or are fleeing at the end of the game, they are treated as either at or above 50% or below 50% as described above for the purposes of determining Army List impact.

Boon fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Sep 11, 2015

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

Moola posted:

Why convert, when you already have AL RAHEEM!

But if it's Tallarn conversions you want, how about this Rough Rider?

Or maybe these Veterans w/ shotguns, demo charge, and flamer (they never made a Tallarn flamer mini, so I have to convert them all)

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Cadians are boring, basically any other flavor IG are better. Tallarn and Praetorians are definitely my faves and whenever I get around to starting a small IG force, it'll be one of them.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
Yeah, I always liked the Praetorians, but by the time they came out I already had scads of Tallarns. I had started to get my hands on some old metal Catachans to use as Penal Legion (because they look like loving convicts to start with), but then GW went and removed the Penal Legion from the Codex. Assholes. :bahgawd:

Here they are with their spit-and-polish warden-sergeant:

Sade
Aug 3, 2009

Can't touch this.
No really, you can't

Ilor posted:

Yeah, I always liked the Praetorians, but by the time they came out I already had scads of Tallarns. I had started to get my hands on some old metal Catachans to use as Penal Legion (because they look like loving convicts to start with), but then GW went and removed the Penal Legion from the Codex. Assholes. :bahgawd:

Here they are with their spit-and-polish warden-sergeant:

These motherfuckers own really hard.

Any Death Korps fans in the house? I've been thinking about starting some IG or AM or whatever the gently caress, but forgeworld models are so drat expensive. Is there any way around selling a kidney for 500 points of space nazis?

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

In the Emperor's name, let none survive.

Sade posted:

Any Death Korps fans in the house? I've been thinking about starting some IG or AM or whatever the gently caress, but forgeworld models are so drat expensive. Is there any way around selling a kidney for 500 points of space nazis?

:china:

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Sade posted:

I got 10 riders for sale/trade... PM if anyone wants to deal.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

:china: :respek: :ussr:

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

Hail satan resin.

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you
if the smell is any indication it is Satan's resin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
What are some the most interesting or dynamic sergeant conversions you guys have seen? I'm trying to pose one of mine in an interesting way and am having trouble finding inspiration

• Locked thread