Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Josh Lyman posted:

I don't understand why flagship phones don't use larger sensors. Surely they have the space.

Not really

https://9to5mac.files.wordpress.com/2014/10/yyilrrwitdilkrsd.jpeg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
The mental image of a phone manufacturer trying to build APS-C – let alone 35mm full frame – is very amusing.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

I was nearly at the point where for most trips with my family I don't bring a DSLR and this new model iPhone will probably push me further along. As I get less and less interested in shooting at range and more and more interested in portraits, this is especially true. Never thought that would happen.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

Question: If I want to give iOS9 a swing now, cause hey we're almost/at GM anyway, can I do it by signing up for the public beta now?

I'm asking cause for the heck of it I tried it on my iPad mini 3 and after installing the profile and rebooting, when I go to search for an update I just get an error message stating "Unable to check for update".

Is the problem that I'm trying to update from iOS8.4.1?

EDIT: Whoops. Did some more reading...the GM is just for devs, no OTA. I'll just delete the profile and wait till Sept 15th like the rest of the world.

Snuffman fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Sep 10, 2015

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib

Snuffman posted:

Question: If I want to give iOS9 a swing now, cause hey we're almost/at GM anyway, can I do it by signing up for the public beta now?

I'm asking cause for the heck of it I tried it on my iPad mini 3 and after installing the profile and rebooting, when I go to search for an update I just get an error message stating "Unable to check for update".

Is the problem that I'm trying to update from iOS8.4.1?

No, you just need to find a copy of the GM ipsw and restore it.

robodex
Jun 6, 2007

They're what's for dinner
Yeah if you can find the ipsw, you can just update manually through iTunes. Mind you, that's probably considered :filez:

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib

robodex posted:

Yeah if you can find the ipsw, you can just update manually through iTunes. Mind you, that's probably considered :filez:

It is. Google is your friend though.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

I don't know if I missed it, or if I'm just in information overload -- did they state whether or not the 6S has 2GB of RAM? Also, is the Live Picture functionality (in camera.app at least) only going to be on the 6S, or is that an iOS 9 feature? I mean, shutter speed has been pretty quick for a few generations now, but I could see it only being officially supported by the 6S sensor.

Also, bummer that OIS once again didn't make it into the non-Plus model. Apple's DIS algorithm(s) is actually pretty solid, especially in videos, but it doesn't approach OIS. If I did anything more than take pictures of my cats 90% of the time, I'd have a hard time choosing between a 6S and 6S+.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

RAM is never mentioned by Apple themselves and the devices will probably have to ship before we really find out what's inside (clock speed, RAM, etc). Live Picture is 6S only.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.
Has anyone contacted Apple to find out if TMobile prepaid plans (specifically the 100minute/5GB 4G for $35/mo) plan would work with their payment plans?

Also, I haven't seen clarity on this but are the prices listed by Apple per month a flat fee or will they be tacking tax on as well?

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

Baller Witness Bro posted:

Has anyone contacted Apple to find out if TMobile prepaid plans (specifically the 100minute/5GB 4G for $35/mo) plan would work with their payment plans?

Also, I haven't seen clarity on this but are the prices listed by Apple per month a flat fee or will they be tacking tax on as well?

Supposedly you can get an Unlocked device through their Upgrade Program but I believe at the time it only gives you options to go through the carrier to check to see if you're eligible? I'm not exactly sure, there's just not enough info out right now.

I'm kind of in the same boat. I use Cricket and would love to take advantage of Apple's deal rather than go through a carrier.

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib
Running the GM of 9.0 the plus is really smooth. Time will tell as to how smooth everything remains, but as long as the skips and stuff are gone when playing music and jumping around in apps I will be happy. Not sold on an upgrade this time around after I thought about it more.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

mAlfunkti0n posted:

Running the GM of 9.0 the plus is really smooth. Time will tell as to how smooth everything remains, but as long as the skips and stuff are gone when playing music and jumping around in apps I will be happy.

Managed to update my 5S and mini 3 :ninja:

Its very slick so far. A few things bugging me (where's my on-the-go podcasts? how do I get the sound effect for siri activation back rather than vibration?) but other than that, a smooth transition overall.

Oh, and my notes.app seems to be missing all the new features...the icons for lists and drawings are supposed to be on the bottom of the screen right?

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Notes should give you an option to upgrade to the new format when you open it. Otherwise check in settings. If you have a Mac notes won't sync until el capitan comes out.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Notes should give you an option to upgrade to the new format when you open it. Otherwise check in settings. If you have a Mac notes won't sync until el capitan comes out.

And that's why.

Let's see if the El Capitan GM release fixes that. :)

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

XyrlocShammypants posted:

As I get less and less interested in shooting at range and more and more interested in portraits, this is especially true. Never thought that would happen.

The iPhone has a 4mm fixed lens with a crop factor of 7.21, which gives you an effective 28mm field of view if you were to compare to full frame. Ideally you'd want a fast zoom or prime of say 80mm to 200mm for portrait use, especially if you want the nice bokeh (blurry backgrounds).

Unless you want to clamp on a bunch of crap to your phone, your dslr is far, far more capable of doing good portraiture than your phone is.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

carry on then posted:

RAM is never mentioned by Apple themselves and the devices will probably have to ship before we really find out what's inside (clock speed, RAM, etc). Live Picture is 6S only.

The iPad Pro apparently has 4GB.

Senf
Nov 12, 2006

TinTower posted:

The iPad Pro apparently has 4GB.

And we only know this because Adobe hosed up and tacked it on to one of their press releases, which is hilarious.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
Is there anything new/different between Public Beta 3 and the GM?

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

Rasheed was, with Aliases, the top 7 PvPers in Bone Krew.

No one talks about this.

Question Mark Mound posted:

Is there anything new/different between Public Beta 3 and the GM?

Less bugs, better battery life as a result of less error logging, larger e-penis

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Any idea how those of us on the public beta will get the gm? Will we just be able to install it on release day through software update?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Any idea how those of us on the public beta will get the gm? Will we just be able to install it on release day through software update?

That's likely, yes. That's probably why people keep asking why their phone is showing an update available, but aren't actually able to do it. Apple probably has the release all ready to go but won't let anyone get it until their desired date.

Supgaiz
Jun 27, 2011

I'm in the public beta on my phone and today it downloaded the update for the 9.1 beta. Going by the instructions on beta.apple.com it looks like you'll have to restore to an iOS 8 backup or manually download and install iOS 9 GM or release to get removed from the beta track.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I just grabbed the ipsw and option-update installed it, same as I've always done with betas. Never needed udid or anything and works fine.

The lack of news app because I'm in the uk sucks though as I wanted to mess about with that.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I didn't know the 9.1 beta was there, it wasn't there this morning. Guess I'll stay on the beta train.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

What does GM stand for 😇

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

Golden master, the build they will ship out as iOS 9 unless a showstopper bug is found.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

I didn't know the 9.1 beta was there, it wasn't there this morning. Guess I'll stay on the beta train.
Don't you need to have a dev account for that?

Athletic Footjob
Sep 24, 2005
Grimey Drawer
Not anymore.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

carry on then posted:

I feel like the only time people care about RAM in the iphone is in September.

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

Rick posted:

Or when safari tabs reload all the goddamn time.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
iPhone/Apple store guys (or anyone who knows...) I have AppleCare+. Does my phone have to be appreciably damaged to get the 79 dollar swap? I want a mint one for a resale but it feels... wrong... to damage mine more than the one or two dings on the bezel.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Feenix posted:

iPhone/Apple store guys (or anyone who knows...) I have AppleCare+. Does my phone have to be appreciably damaged to get the 79 dollar swap? I want a mint one for a resale but it feels... wrong... to damage mine more than the one or two dings on the bezel.

iPhone thread, tell me how to basically commit a form of insurance fraud.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

LionYeti posted:

Or when safari tabs reload all the goddamn time.

Agreed. I don't care how much cpu power or ram is in my phone, but I jump from safari to answer a text and jump back in 10 seconds later - it shouldn't be reloading.

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib

Rick posted:

Your feelings are wrong sorry to have to tell you.

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Damn, this is good coffee.

EL BROMANCE posted:

Agreed. I don't care how much cpu power or ram is in my phone, but I jump from safari to answer a text and jump back in 10 seconds later - it shouldn't be reloading.

Yeah it's loving terrible. I'm already pretty locked in but if they fix this bullshit and the whole "hold onto Wi-Fi for dear life even when the signal is dead" thing I'll be a customer for life.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

illcendiary posted:

Yeah it's loving terrible. I'm already pretty locked in but if they fix this bullshit and the whole "hold onto Wi-Fi for dear life even when the signal is dead" thing I'll be a customer for life.

Blackjack2000
Mar 29, 2010

EL BROMANCE posted:

The iPhone has a 4mm fixed lens with a crop factor of 7.21, which gives you an effective 28mm field of view if you were to compare to full frame. Ideally you'd want a fast zoom or prime of say 80mm to 200mm for portrait use, especially if you want the nice bokeh (blurry backgrounds).

Unless you want to clamp on a bunch of crap to your phone, your dslr is far, far more capable of doing good portraiture than your phone is.

More capable, sure. I understand the optical principals at work here. A 28mm equivalent perspective means that your subject will get foreshortened if you get close enough to fill the frame, and the huge DoF means that the background and foreground are too sharp and can distract from the subject.

All I can say is that I spent years trying to become a good photographer. Learning all about exposure, flash technique, composition, etc. etc. etc. and never got that good. I point my iPhone at people at people and get really great pictures. Better than I ever got with a DSLR. I get that the DSLR is more capable and I'm just a bad photographer, but that's kind of the point.

Pretty much the only reason I tolerate the absurd prices for iPhone is for the camera. There are many other features that I love, but I could do without them.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

EL BROMANCE posted:

Content blocking might help a bit with the tab reloads.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

milkaxor
Mar 5, 2003

I choose you!

japtor posted:

Content blocking might help a bit with the tab reloads.

I don't think it is a ram issue. I have similar behavior on desktop safari. I think it is a design choice, not a ram constraint.