Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Autisanal Cheese
Nov 29, 2010

Castle Radium posted:

Haha, I just spotted the Cara Delevigne mention. Someone is definitely having a laugh.

Hehe yeah, I only just realised after I posted it who she is, there's no freaking way it's true. It's just that the three specials thing rings so true but I don't know if I can handle another 2009 :cripes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

Castle Radium posted:

Haha, I just spotted the Cara Delevigne mention. Someone is definitely having a laugh.

To be fair, I think people said the same thing when they got Kylie Minogue. (It's still horrifically unlikely though)

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!
While it's really unlikely, I have always really wanted to see them do exactly that. Introduce the next (or a future, but next is easiest) Doctor in the middle of the current Doctor's run. We've seen the opposite plenty, current Doctor running into his past selves, so why not see it from the other way 'round?

That said, yeah, we'd probably know who was cast months ago. It'd still be neat to do, even without a totally surprise reveal.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib

RyuujinBlueZ posted:

While it's really unlikely, I have always really wanted to see them do exactly that. Introduce the next (or a future, but next is easiest) Doctor in the middle of the current Doctor's run. We've seen the opposite plenty, current Doctor running into his past selves, so why not see it from the other way 'round?

That said, yeah, we'd probably know who was cast months ago. It'd still be neat to do, even without a totally surprise reveal.

Well, they sorta did this already in Day of the Doctor.

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006

RyuujinBlueZ posted:

Wasn't there this exact same discussion a couple of months ago in this thread?

qntm
Jun 17, 2009
That is exactly what they did with River Song.

Nude Bog Lurker
Jan 2, 2007
Fun Shoe
The Doctor Who thread over at /tv/ are master rusemen.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

TL posted:

Well, they sorta did this already in Day of the Doctor.

Yeah, except it was after a big public event specifically held to announce Capaldi as the next Doctor.

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

thexerox123 posted:

Yeah, except it was after a big public event specifically held to announce Capaldi as the next Doctor.

Also, unless I'm forgetting something else, his appearance there was pretty much just limited to an extra TARDIS and a quick shot of his eyes. He wasn't really a character in the episode, just a number.

Mr Beens posted:

Probably. And likely a few months before that, and so on.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Mr Beens posted:

Yep, and like I said then, it wouldn't be impossible, particularly if they auditioned this guy at the same time they did Capaldi, and signed him to a contract of utter secrecy.

Though 4 years is a long time to wait, especially for a young actor whose career could blow up in the meantime. Remington Steele Doctor Who is a pretty good gig, but what if you're offered James Bond before it starts?

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
Next Doctor revealed to be an unknown face by the name of Taron Egerton.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Astroman posted:

Yep, and like I said then, it wouldn't be impossible, particularly if they auditioned this guy at the same time they did Capaldi, and signed him to a contract of utter secrecy.

Though 4 years is a long time to wait, especially for a young actor whose career could blow up in the meantime. Remington Steele Doctor Who is a pretty good gig, but what if you're offered James Bond before it starts?

Some 20 year-old punk is not going to be offered James Bond.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Irish Joe posted:

Some 20 year-old punk is not going to be offered James Bond.

Timothy Dalton was offered Bond at 22, supposedly. That's close.

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

egon_beeblebrox posted:

Timothy Dalton was offered Bond at 22, supposedly. That's close.

But was he a punk?

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

BSam posted:

But was he a punk?

I'd like to imagine so.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

2house2fly posted:

Next Doctor revealed to be an unknown face by the name of Taron Egerton.

Sure, just change this to a question mark handle.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

The_Doctor posted:

Sure, just change this to a question mark handle.

I would be down with this. He carried a movie alongside Colin Firth, Mark Strong, and Samuel L Jackson and was amazing in the process.

(I don’t know how many times I’ve re-watched the church fight on Youtube. God, Kingsman was such a good movie in the end)

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

CobiWann posted:

(I don’t know how many times I’ve re-watched the church fight on Youtube. God, Kingsman was such a good movie in the end)

Well, I wouldn't exactly call it a fight...

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Also acceptable:

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Too 'urban'.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

CobiWann posted:

I would be down with this. He carried a movie alongside Colin Firth, Mark Strong, and Samuel L Jackson and was amazing in the process.

He's about the only actor I can picture for the young Han Solo movie.

Think you mean too "street".

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

The_Doctor posted:

Also acceptable:

Huh, that's pretty good.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Fast or strong, wise or angry, urban or street? What do you need now?

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Chairman Capone posted:

He's about the only actor I can picture for the young Han Solo movie.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

That movie was dumb but his Harrison Ford impression was spooky good

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
S9 episode titles announced:

9x01 The Magician's Apprentice
9x02 The Witch's Familiar
9x03 Under the Lake
9x04 Before the Flood
9x05 The Girl Who Died
9x06 The Woman Who Lived
9x07 The Zygon Invasion
9x08 The Zygon Inversion
9x09 Sleep No More
9x10 Face the Raven
9x11 Heaven Sent
9x12 Hell Bent

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

HD DAD posted:

9x11 Heaven Sent
9x12 Hell Bent

Missy's gonna find The Satan Pit and team up with Satan, only to be shocked when he betrays her.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

HD DAD posted:

9x04 Before the Flood

Turns out... Noah's Ark was really a TARDIS!!!!!!

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Annnnnd episode previews:

http://www.radiotimes.com/news/2015-09-14/steven-moffats-exclusive-doctor-who-series-nine-episode-guide

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
episode 5 they pick up that "Capaldi acted in this series the doctor took his face from somewhere" plot point no one cared about.

The talk about how complicated and different the finale is makes me think it will be overcomplicated and kind of suck like many past finales.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

e11 Heaven Sent may hark back to the Doctor getting stuck in strange odd ball mazes outside the universe. I hope it does. They are my favourite of the classic series.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
I'm calling it now that the Zygon two-parter is going to be pretty meh. But everything else sounds pretty cool.

Especially looking forward to Gatiss's found footage episode.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
I have to admit, I'm super excited for Heaven Sent/Hell Bent because there's no way that naming scheme will lead to something boring. Could it be bad? Yes. But probably not boring.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Heaven Sent: There's an intergalactic Battle of the Bands, so The Doctor travels back in time to recruit the one singer who can save the universe - Ronnie James Dio.

Hell Bent: Dio gets incapacitated, so The Doctor must instead rely on his backup band - SLAYER!

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

Silhouette posted:

Heaven Sent: There's an intergalactic Battle of the Bands, so The Doctor travels back in time to recruit the one singer who can save the universe - Ronnie James Dio.

Hell Bent: Dio gets incapacitated, so The Doctor must instead rely on his backup band - SLAYER!

Then the first episode of series 10 is Bat Out of Hell with special guest star Meat Loaf?

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Silhouette posted:

YOU THOUGHT IT WAS DIO, BUT IT WAS ME, THE VALEYARD!

...wait, that's not right.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Jsor posted:

Then the first episode of series 10 is Bat Out of Hell with special guest star Meat Loaf?
I would give an obscene amount of money to see Meat Loaf in Doctor Who. Or Tim Curry for that matter. :smith:

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.
“Nothing’s sad till it’s over. Then everything is.” Eloquent.

Can't wait to see that Loch Ness thing from 9x05 in all its bad CGI glory.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Silhouette posted:

Show me what you got!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Forktoss
Feb 13, 2012

I'm OK, you're so-so
I hope next season the two-parters go full 60s Batman. THE MASTER MAKES HER PLAY / THE DOCTOR SAVES THE DAY

• Locked thread