Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004
Yeah, I do sometimes, using the same general approaches as you have (flowchart & list by position). Its difficult and frustrating but I think there's probably value in it.

I pretty much run into what you are talking about with the flowchart, where I end up having to get down to either really specific stuff or the other side of the coin where I just want to right down ('xxx system') which covers tons of stuff. This is kind of where I'm at now with some of it but its eh...

reverse DLR, pretty comprehensible:

butterfly, trainwreck:

e: as I'm reflecting on this post I'll say I think where I have gotten the most use is really just vomiting a bunch of crap onto a chart, letting it percolate a few days, then coming back after some mat time and going through and saying "this works, this is poo poo, I don't actually do this, these vague words need to be improved on, etc".

Kekekela fucked around with this message at 13:10 on Sep 10, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

n3rdal3rt
Nov 2, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Mind translating this into English

Tenkai Kote Hineri (Turning Forearm Twist) - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gbJ4fQv6j1M (close enough)
Kote Gaeshi (Forearm Reversal/Return) - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QjylF_otJZM
Kouchi Gari (Minor Inner Reap) - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j9DnkH-2tGg

Better?

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

n3rdal3rt posted:

Tenkai Kote Hineri (Turning Forearm Twist) - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gbJ4fQv6j1M (close enough)
Kote Gaeshi (Forearm Reversal/Return) - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QjylF_otJZM

please tell me you're joking with these

n3rdal3rt
Nov 2, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Mechafunkzilla posted:

please tell me you're joking with these

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3bGH9v6OYa4
Does it help if they're wearing BJJ gi?

I don't know what you want to see as an example of what the techniques are that I'm talking about. I tried finding things that showed the basic motions. Nothing looks like a kata version when done in real time. Olympic Judo throws look different then the kata versions and no one seems to say anything about it.

I've said many times that what I'm talking about are not optimal things just that structurally they can give the desired effect of making someone fall down. I've used them to make someone fall down (a couple times, not every randori) but I don't video classes so I have no evidence.

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

I don't think of it as a flowchart, but a lot of Judo is forcible your opponent to react to something you do, then punishing that reaction. Most great Judo players have 2 great throws: their primary throw and the counter to the defense of that throw. A classic pair is seoinage and kouchi or ouchi.

quidditch it and quit it
Oct 11, 2012

n3rdal3rt posted:

I don't know what you want to see as an example of what the techniques are that I'm talking about. I tried finding things that showed the basic motions. Nothing looks like a kata version when done in real time. Olympic Judo throws look different then the kata versions and no one seems to say anything about it.

I've said many times that what I'm talking about are not optimal things just that structurally they can give the desired effect of making someone fall down. I've used them to make someone fall down (a couple times, not every randori) but I don't video classes so I have no evidence.

There is such a low percentage of that ever working on a resisting opponent that I can't imagine it's worth learning until you know everything else there is to know. In that video, surely the guy getting thrown could've just closed the distance, shut down one side of the guy, then taken him down with a trip or taken his back? It's another "works when you let it work" technique. gently caress letting my opponent decide if my takedown works or not.

Space Faggot
Jun 11, 2009

Novum posted:

I feel like if you guys directly attacked each other then this whole debate could sort itself out yet.

Go ahead, grab my wrist. No, my other wrist. No, not like that.

quidditch it and quit it
Oct 11, 2012

Space human being posted:

Go ahead, grab my wrist. No, my other wrist. No, not like that.

You're doing it all wrong! How am I supposed to throw you when you're stopping me?!

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011
My game flow is to pull butterfly and either transition to single leg X or do a hook sweep onto concrete/empty cardboard boxes.

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe

Kekekela posted:

reverse DLR, pretty comprehensible:

butterfly, trainwreck:

this is cool but where are the hitstun/blockstun numbers?

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

n3rdal3rt posted:

This is real bad, even the grip break that isn't a part of the throw itself is sloppy and nonsensical. Like, he's actually giving up a good position in order to re-square to his opponent, which would make the guy release his grip for...reasons.

I've made people fall down in sparring by shoving them in the chest, but I wouldn't go around touting the chest shove as a legitimate technique worth practicing.

Mechafunkzilla fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Sep 10, 2015

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

This is how you take down the type of opponent who tries to shake your hand and then immediately does an unexplained somersault

IT BEGINS
Jan 15, 2009

I don't know how to make analogies

n3rdal3rt posted:

Nothing looks like a kata version when done in real time. Olympic Judo throws look different then the kata versions and no one seems to say anything about it.

Yeah, no. I'm not a particularly good judoka or wrestler, but my successful throws and takedowns look 85%-100% like the kata versions. Same with the moves my teachers show me. poo poo, the cleanest tai otoshi I ever hit was in sparring, not during drills.

Lol.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

origami posted:

My game flow is to pull butterfly and either transition to single leg X or do a hook sweep onto concrete/empty cardboard boxes.

My game flow is to hit a nice takedown into side control, then have my opponent work his way into half guard, then full guard, then he triangles me

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

pissssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssss sssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssss

Gravy Boat 2k
My bjj coach Ryan Hall showing off the 50/50 on TUF last night: http://streamable.com/j1ww

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

de la peche posted:

There is such a low percentage of that ever working on a resisting opponent that I can't imagine it's worth learning until you know everything else there is to know. In that video, surely the guy getting thrown could've just closed the distance, shut down one side of the guy, then taken him down with a trip or taken his back? It's another "works when you let it work" technique. gently caress letting my opponent decide if my takedown works or not.
I can't be even be arsed to watch the whole thing because even the intro is terrible. The attack is stupid, the footwork's stupid, even the ukemi looks painful. Which is a shame because I don't think the wrist turn itself is entirely moronic. If you can find that grip and keep your arms straight, you should be able to injure that wrist. It's just, well, if the other guy just doesn't mind that, they can close the distance anyway.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

2DCAT posted:

My bjj coach Ryan Hall showing off the 50/50 on TUF last night: http://streamable.com/j1ww

You ever train with Mike Pope?

Rabhadh
Aug 26, 2007

2DCAT posted:

Obviously here in Ireland everyone is crazy about McGregor but do any of you guys have an opinion on him?

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747

origami posted:

Lol gently caress. You're playing the long game with this. Thug.

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

pissssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssss sssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssss

Gravy Boat 2k

VulgarandStupid posted:

You ever train with Mike Pope?

I think he's up at Disciple? I stopped heading that way once Tiago went back to Brazil.

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

Rabhadh posted:

Obviously here in Ireland everyone is crazy about McGregor but do any of you guys have an opinion on him?

I like him, appreciate the showmanship during the leadup but being gracious in victory. Seems like a genuinely witty and loyal guy as well.

Also Billy Quarantillo on team Faber (aks Channing - Wahlburg) is an awesome guy from my gym, please all send goon vibrations his way.

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

kimbo305 posted:

Link the site, or ideally, some lesson/training videos.

The site just has some basic information, no instruction video's or anything. I'm a euro goon and the site is in moon language so linking it isn't really usefull :)

The school teaches both Judo and JJJ and is affiliated with the Dutch Judo Association (so no McDojo I guess).

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Not really, no. Though I guess JJJ practitioners are as free as anyone else to enter open grappling tournaments.

On the Dutch Judo Association it mentions there are Jiu Jitsu tournaments in 2 different froms: Fighting and Duo. Duo is an exhibition form, and fighting is sparring with limitations (no full contact/KO). Not that I'm looking to take part in any tournaments, I just want to train to get in shape and do so while learning something that's somewhat usefull.

I'll give the JJJ entry course a try, if it's not what I want I can always go searching for a decent BJJ school in the neighbourhood.

Keg
Sep 22, 2014

IT BEGINS posted:

Yeah, no. I'm not a particularly good judoka or wrestler, but my successful throws and takedowns look 85%-100% like the kata versions. Same with the moves my teachers show me. poo poo, the cleanest tai otoshi I ever hit was in sparring, not during drills.

Lol.

Didn't that guy cause some kind of to-do by teaching BJJ techniques as a purple belt while wearing his JJJ black belt a few years ago?

Keg fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Sep 10, 2015

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!
I haven't done any aikido or other traditional martial arts really, just some mma/SW/Muay Thai as a low level hobbyist, but it seems to me that it's a bit mistaken to write of wrist locks and throws just beacause they won't really work on a trained opponent in a cage or on the dreaded streets. I mean most real world violence won't be UFC fights or desperate self defence against a deadly street fighter trying his best to murder you with his bare hand in an alley in Medellin.

A very large percentage of violent confronatations will consist of bouncers, security guards and police officers having to subdue and control various untarined, unathletic, drunk and/or high idiots. Isn't it possible that various wrist locks and throws could be useful tools in such fairly low threat situations when you want to subdue someone with a minimum amount of force? If so it seems like such techniques might be worthwhile to train for at least people working in such professions.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Keg posted:

Didn't that guy cause some kind of to-do by teaching BJJ techniques as a purple belt while wearing his JJJ black belt a few years ago?

fatherdog posted:

Submissions101 is run by Ari Bolden, a Japanese JiuJitsu and Aikido black belt who got a purple shirt from Bravo on the strength of his "previous grappling experience" and started his own school in Victoria. He then started doing "submission instructionals" on his youtube channel wearing a BJJ gi and his Japanese Jiujitsu black belt. His instructionals were, generally, laughably bad, but also quite popular because he was very good at advertising. When people starting noticing him, Bravo and him "parted ways" and he affiliated with Keith Owen, who appears to have been fast-tracking him through BJJ ranks.

Keg
Sep 22, 2014

Thanks, I thought the channel was familiar

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

Kekekela posted:

Yeah, I do sometimes, using the same general approaches as you have (flowchart & list by position). Its difficult and frustrating but I think there's probably value in it.

I pretty much run into what you are talking about with the flowchart, where I end up having to get down to either really specific stuff or the other side of the coin where I just want to right down ('xxx system') which covers tons of stuff. This is kind of where I'm at now with some of it but its eh...

I think a lot of people will start to subconsciously piece together a decent gameplan lesson to lesson, and they just occasionally need to step back and think about it to rearrange things. But I'm the special kind of retard who is incapable of it, subconsciously I just collect whatever moves feel like the most fun and I hit them in a random sequence to no logical end because grappling is so much fun, and I have to really force myself to not do so. It was a mindblowing, plateau-breaking revelation when I just said to myself "hey why don't you just take their back and choke them every roll instead, moron" awhile back. And then when I realized that I should only go for rolling backtakes after the direct backtakes fail, that was also really mindblowing. I'm really dumb, I just get entranced by jiu-jitsu and how cool it is.

Kekekela posted:

e: as I'm reflecting on this post I'll say I think where I have gotten the most use is really just vomiting a bunch of crap onto a chart, letting it percolate a few days, then coming back after some mat time and going through and saying "this works, this is poo poo, I don't actually do this, these vague words need to be improved on, etc".

I find myself checking my big mass of scribbles every week or two, writing out the stuff that I've learned recently, and trying to decide if it fits into my plan or not. I've cut down from a whirling mass of stupid guards down to just half/closed/butterfly/x, and a whirling mass of stupid attacks to a couple of good ones that don't put me in a bad position if they fail. Suddenly I'm tapping everybody? What is this?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Rabhadh posted:

There's (extremely voluminous) MMA threads that talk about McGregor all day, if you wanna check those out.

My take on his striking:
- his immense reach is a huge asset and something he integrates into his overall game
- he has a good suite of distraction/changeup tactics that he leads with and blends into his actual (effective) striking. Like, he doesn't care if his lead hook kick lands or not. He just needs you to be puzzled by it, pause, and reset. This brings the dictation of rhythm back to him.
- his power is good, but his damage comes from accuracy and pretty good technique. The fluid and stable way he covers ground doing a 1-2 is really nice. Just an example of his solid firing base
- his defense is based largely on distancing and countering threat, and not upper body movement

Space Faggot
Jun 11, 2009

DekeThornton posted:

A very large percentage of violent confronatations will consist of bouncers, security guards and police officers having to subdue and control various untarined, unathletic, drunk and/or high idiots. Isn't it possible that various wrist locks and throws could be useful tools in such fairly low threat situations when you want to subdue someone with a minimum amount of force? If so it seems like such techniques might be worthwhile to train for at least people working in such professions.

In a "real" situation, you're much more likely to pull off a technique you've used against resisting opponents in sparring/rolling. Plus, it's not really difficult to scale back a foot sweep to "ease" someone to the floor to control them rather than smashing their head into it. There's all kinds of hypothetical situations where standing wristlocks could work, but in those same situations plenty of pressure tested, competition legal techniques also work.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Space human being posted:

In a "real" situation, you're much more likely to pull off a technique you've used against resisting opponents in sparring/rolling. Plus, it's not really difficult to scale back a foot sweep to "ease" someone to the floor to control them rather than smashing their head into it. There's all kinds of hypothetical situations where standing wristlocks could work, but in those same situations plenty of pressure tested, competition legal techniques also work.

On top of this, gambling that the guy you're trying to restrain didn't wrestle in middle school doesn't seem like a great approach.

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!

Mechafunkzilla posted:

On top of this, gambling that the guy you're trying to restrain didn't wrestle in middle school doesn't seem like a great approach.

It is, if you live in western Europe.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

DekeThornton posted:

It is, if you live in western Europe.

Or any where that isn't the Midwest.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

2DCAT posted:

I think he's up at Disciple? I stopped heading that way once Tiago went back to Brazil.

He is/was up in Boston lately. Came to Wai Kru. He said he was Ryan's main training partners. He's a beast.

IT BEGINS
Jan 15, 2009

I don't know how to make analogies

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

Do you guys ever nerd out and start making flowcharts and stuff to help your grappling? How do you organize it?

I used to try and make flowcharts out of everything but found it kind of impossible, unless maybe you break it down into a ton of small flowcharts. Recently I've been just writing down common positions and writing down a numbered (prioritized) list of what I want to do from each position, and that seems to work pretty well for me. I open it up every couple of weeks and say "nope" then shift a few things around as I work out what's not working for me.

I tend to have 3 modes of note taking for bjj: 'flowchart-y' stuff where I list a position and things I know/should work on from there, brain vomit where i just spit out whatever I'm still thinking about after a class, and more organized 'Q/D/C' notes. In the latter, Q stands for questions to ask, D stands for things to do, and C stands for comments (general stuff to remember). Examples:

From top to bottom left to bottom right, QDC, brain vomit, flowchart stuff.

quidditch it and quit it
Oct 11, 2012

Man, I need to get more organised... all this 'writing stuff down' actually looks like it would help me considerably.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

Keeping track of questions that pop into your head is a good idea. I should do that.

quidditch it and quit it
Oct 11, 2012

Polaris 2 is looking pretty cool, I shall be drinking rum later and shouting well-meaning but useless encouragement to Tom Barlow and Dan Strauss.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Those mind maps and spider diagrams are pretty cool. I feel it's something that could benefit me now. I take notes on techniques and stuff, questions to ask etc., after every class but until recently, I figured planning these things out (the diagrams) wouldn't help me much as I was a bit swamped with positions and techniques. It's been a year now so I'm feeling more and more familiar with the passes, the skills, the finishes, everything basically is making a lot of sense to me now. With that being said, I wonder if anyone here can remember what it was like in their first year, and share their thoughts. I think I've come to a point where I've learned how to swim, I'm familiar with the levers and basic dos and don't, I don't tend to get lost or drown and find myself very comfortable in awkward and daunting positions (technical mount, stacked for a stack pass etc). I feel my defense is a lot stronger than my attack, though someone in the gym explained to me that that was very normal, in order to successfully mount attacks, you need to survive first of all, then stablize, improve position, stablize there, then know which submission to attempt, with conviction & awareness. It seems to be very much like a heirarchy & it takes a lot of mat time to get to the apex (whereby attacks and submissions are coming). I roll every chance I can get, with everyone I can. I very rarely roll with less experienced people (lower tabs, or however you want to term it), only because, there are very few people who roll regularly who are less experienced than I in my club. Hopefully, with some recent promotions, this will change and I can experience being in dominant positions. Anyway, I've rambled. I wanted to garner some tales from guys and understand where you were, how you felt and how confident etc. you were at the 1 year stage.

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?
Doing my first MMA class tomorrow. I'm excited to see how underhooks feel as opposed to having to grab that lapel.

A random story I just remembered too... At my old club in Aus we were always told to train our throws off the sleeve lapel grip because thats the easiest grip to get. The ideal lapel grip being half way between the opponents neck and nipple. So for years we trained that grip only. One day we had the coach of the italian olympic judo club come for a few sessions to run classes. As we started our first randori and grabbed the grips, he sort of held his head and yelled stop. He said in his broken english 'why you do grip like that. thats wrong. stop. everyone stop. you arent japanese fighters, you dont grab lapel. You grab behind the neck. you not flexible and fast like japan. you grab strong behind the neck from now on. ok go!' and I sort of laughed inside but he was dead serious and for the rest of the lessons he would scold us and fix our grip for us to make it a behind the head grip for most of our throws if he ever saw us doing the lapel grip. Makes me laugh to remember everyone standing there like 'oh ok, my grip training for years has been wrong aye?'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

Nierbo posted:

Doing my first MMA class tomorrow. I'm excited to see how underhooks feel as opposed to having to grab that lapel.

A random story I just remembered too... At my old club in Aus we were always told to train our throws off the sleeve lapel grip because thats the easiest grip to get. The ideal lapel grip being half way between the opponents neck and nipple. So for years we trained that grip only. One day we had the coach of the italian olympic judo club come for a few sessions to run classes. As we started our first randori and grabbed the grips, he sort of held his head and yelled stop. He said in his broken english 'why you do grip like that. thats wrong. stop. everyone stop. you arent japanese fighters, you dont grab lapel. You grab behind the neck. you not flexible and fast like japan. you grab strong behind the neck from now on. ok go!' and I sort of laughed inside but he was dead serious and for the rest of the lessons he would scold us and fix our grip for us to make it a behind the head grip for most of our throws if he ever saw us doing the lapel grip. Makes me laugh to remember everyone standing there like 'oh ok, my grip training for years has been wrong aye?'

I don't do a lot of stuff in the Gi, but when I do BJJ with the Gi, I find that grabbing in the first place mentioned can sometimes be pulled all the way to stomach level before the tension stops it. If you grab behind the neck, like this guy says, the collar can only slide to the first place mentioned. So that kind of makes sense to me, it's just better control.

I'm the opposite of you, I do mostly no-Gi and MMA so underhooks are key, but when I do gi I'm very hesitant and I don't know where to grab.

VulgarandStupid fucked around with this message at 07:09 on Sep 13, 2015

• Locked thread