Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine
And now for my own question: What are the best ways for someone to exercise/lose weight without walking? I figured swimming is probably the best option but let's say they don't have access to a pool. Would pushups, situps, etc., be the best option?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

Golbez posted:

And now for my own question: What are the best ways for someone to exercise/lose weight without walking? I figured swimming is probably the best option but let's say they don't have access to a pool. Would pushups, situps, etc., be the best option?

There are videos online for chair yoga, chair tai chi, chair weightlifting, etc. Modified Pilates circuits are a great way to strengthen the core. Traditional sit-ups aren't great for the back or neck.

Weight loss is mostly diet, though.

Edit: I assumed the person couldn't walk or had limited mobility here. With average mobility but no access to a gym, stumptuous.com is a great resource.

AlbieQuirky fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Sep 10, 2015

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Golbez posted:

Exercise? Take your pick. Lift weights, do body weight resistance exercises, cycle, swim, elliptical, rock climbing, whatever. Lose weight? Eat fewer calories than you burn, weigh and measure your food and track it with an app like MyFitnessPal, then weigh yourself regularly and adjust your intake until successful.

You can only out run/swim/lift so many chocolate bars (that number is 3). You have to eat less than you burn to lose weight.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

My question: for people on a Paleo eating regime, why are seed flours (buckwheat, amaranth, quinoa, etc.) considered to be nutritionally superior to grain flours (wheat, rice, corn, etc.)?

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

AlbieQuirky posted:

My question: for people on a Paleo eating regime, why are seed flours (buckwheat, amaranth, quinoa, etc.) considered to be nutritionally superior to grain flours (wheat, rice, corn, etc.)?

This is a real can of worms for the stupid small questions thread.

Paging Stymie to tell us that grains are poison.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Paleo regime always sound funny in a stupid way. I imagine people eating off the floor with their fingers.

Kurtofan fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Sep 10, 2015

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

AlbieQuirky posted:

Perhaps this is a stupid question, but aren't those grains also seeds?

El Jeffe
Dec 24, 2009

Golbez posted:

It's by jmtb02, called This Is the Only Level. I love his stuff, he also did Achievement Unlocked!, because meta gaming is the best gaming.

That's it, thanks!

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     

Golbez posted:

If your goal is to lose weight you need to focus on your diet and lowering your calorie intake. You're not going to lose weight by walking and probably not any other exercise realistically. If you walk 1 hour a day you might burn like 200 calories. That's 3 oreos. You can burn more calories by running or maybe bicycling but you have to do it like an hour a day. And even if you are doing that if you're not monitoring your diet you'll probably end up eating more to make up for those calories burned during your exercise.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

AlbieQuirky posted:

I mean, I'll humor this. The logic of paleo is that processed grains are the product of agriculture and should be minimized or omitted, some grains are worse because they contain gluten which is hard to digest. Agriculture is new and our bodies haven't had time to adapt to it, so we should try to eat the diet to which our bodies were accustomed prehistorically.

The "natural" diet is primarily vegetables, some meat, and a bit of fruits with a little bit of wild grain thrown in there occasionally. Ideally, macronutritionally, your diet should be lower in simple carbs, higher in fiber and protein and low in foods that produce inflammation like some seeds and white potatoes.

My takeaway is that it's not a terrible way to eat since the basic message is "eat lots of vegetables and less liquid sugar and pig buttholes", which will obviously be more healthful than the opposite, but for reasons unrelated to evolution or Paleolithic eating habits. You go down the crazy hole when people insist on eating facsimiles of stuff like pizza or muffins anyway, even though there's obviously nothing "paleo" about a crust made entirely out of almonds and ground beef.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.
Is there any way to bypass Java's security settings in the browser? I need it to run on a site that doesn't meet Java's requirements, but the exception list won't work.

an overdue owl
Feb 26, 2012

hoot

I swear I once saw a move that had a line that was something like: "I'm sympatico with you, are you sympatico with me?"

I might be remembering that line wrong, but I definitely remember the word 'sympatico' being used in the sense of 'we have similar feelings about this thing' or 'we are alike' but when I try to google it, I can't find any definition that matches this. Maybe I'm spelling it wrong or maybe it's not a commonly used word?

Anyone have an idea of the movie I'm thinking of? Or disregarding that, if this is a word at all?

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

an overdue owl posted:

I swear I once saw a move that had a line that was something like: "I'm sympatico with you, are you sympatico with me?"

I might be remembering that line wrong, but I definitely remember the word 'sympatico' being used in the sense of 'we have similar feelings about this thing' or 'we are alike' but when I try to google it, I can't find any definition that matches this. Maybe I'm spelling it wrong or maybe it's not a commonly used word?

Anyone have an idea of the movie I'm thinking of? Or disregarding that, if this is a word at all?

The TV show Peep Show used it once. Someone suggested an online dating service for professionals Sympatico was a proposed name. I am not sure what film it may have appeared in though. The dictionary definition is

quote:

The definition of sympatico is getting along and having mutual understanding with another. Also spelled

And they used a police officer and their patrol partner as an example

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine

tuyop posted:

You can only out run/swim/lift so many chocolate bars (that number is 3).

Schweinhund posted:

If you walk 1 hour a day you might burn like 200 calories. That's 3 oreos.

ok slow down lemme take notes

Is that 3 chocolate bars AND 3 oreos, or 3 chocolate bars OR 3 oreos? Is it a perfect exchange rate, 1 bar == 1 oreo, or is there a rounding issue?

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004
Just learned about the Schengen Area - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schengen_Area#Stays_in_excess_of_90_days

My understanding from reading the article is that if I spend 2 months in Spain - I can only spend a month in any country within the schengen area? So what would happen if I stay 3 months in Spain and then try to fly into Netherlands? Also, what is the deal with Romania? It shows as "legally obliged to join".

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     

Golbez posted:

ok slow down lemme take notes

Is that 3 chocolate bars AND 3 oreos, or 3 chocolate bars OR 3 oreos? Is it a perfect exchange rate, 1 bar == 1 oreo, or is there a rounding issue?

1 hour of walking = 3 oreos (~180 calories)

1 hours of running = 3 hershey's bars (~600 calories)

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

:siren:EVERYTHING I SAY ABOUT JAPAN OR LIVING IN JAPAN IS COMPLETELY WRONG, BUT YOU BETTER BELIEVE I'LL :spergin: ABOUT IT.:siren:

PLEASE ADD ME TO YOUR IGNORE LIST.

IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A JAPAN THREAD, PLEASE PM A MODERATOR SO THAT I CAN BE BANNED.
What kind of music is Porcupine Tree?

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
So an old lady I work with told me she's throwing away all of her son's toys. I'm like ok, well I'll buy some of it! I go to her house and it's nothing but heroscape terrain, legos, and DnD mini-figs

How do I store all this poo poo in a way that keeps it portable and seperated? The 7 hex tiles are about the size of the palm of my hand (for reference.) I'll be posting this also in the GM advice thread. I know it's like $150+ worth of Heroscape tiles but I don't want to flip it.

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now

kapalama posted:

What kind of music is Porcupine Tree?

Prog rock?

e: is that what you meant by "kind"?

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

AlbieQuirky posted:

I phrased my question poorly. My apologies.

I don't actually want to discuss the merits/demerits of Paleo eating, but to know the explanation Paleo advocates advance for considering seed flours superior to grain flours. Or at least a pointer to where to look for that? I've been through the prominent websites like Mark's Daily Apple, Robb Wolff, Chris Kresser, the Hartwigs, and haven't been able to pick out a focused discussion of this point.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

an overdue owl posted:

You're spelling it wrong. As an English-language loanword, it retains the spelling common to Italian and Spanish, simpatico.

The movie doesn't ring a bell, but people said "simpatico" a lot in the 70s and 80s in the U.S., then it kind of fell out of favor here.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

an overdue owl posted:

The song Justin Timberlake sings in bad teacher?

http://youtu.be/CX8sddUj1uA

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

AlbieQuirky posted:

I phrased my question poorly. My apologies.

I don't actually want to discuss the merits/demerits of Paleo eating, but to know the explanation Paleo advocates advance for considering seed flours superior to grain flours. Or at least a pointer to where to look for that? I've been through the prominent websites like Mark's Daily Apple, Robb Wolff, Chris Kresser, the Hartwigs, and haven't been able to pick out a focused discussion of this point.

God, I'm having trouble finding my source but years ago when I was reading about paleo the argument was basically:

Seed flour = fats
Grain flour = carbs and gluten

Fats>carbs and gluten

Therefore, seed flours are better.

Van Dis
Jun 19, 2004

Golbez posted:

Ride a bike four hours a day while watching what you eat.

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

:siren:EVERYTHING I SAY ABOUT JAPAN OR LIVING IN JAPAN IS COMPLETELY WRONG, BUT YOU BETTER BELIEVE I'LL :spergin: ABOUT IT.:siren:

PLEASE ADD ME TO YOUR IGNORE LIST.

IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A JAPAN THREAD, PLEASE PM A MODERATOR SO THAT I CAN BE BANNED.

Van Dis posted:

Ride a bike four hours a day while watching what you eat.

One interesting things I saw someone working on, but never saw for sale was a generator driven by a stationary bike. SO you could only watch TV when you were pedaling to keep in on.

thrakkorzog
Nov 16, 2007

kapalama posted:

One interesting things I saw someone working on, but never saw for sale was a generator driven by a stationary bike. SO you could only watch TV when you were pedaling to keep in on.

It's probably because that's a spectacularly dumb idea.

It's not to hard to set up a stationary bicycle as a power source. Slap some magnets on bicycle wheels, wrap some wires around them, and you have a basic generator. Even without getting into the issue of whether a stationary bicycle could generate enough electricity to power a TV, there's also the issue that the most efficient way to power the generator is to keep the bicycle wheels as frictionless as possible.

The problem is that most pieces of exercise equipment, like exercise bikes, usually offer some sort of artificial resistance, and that would make trying to generate electricity from them a pain in the rear end. So people would go from an almost frictionless bike that might be able to power a TV, to a bike with slightly more resistance, where the TV shuts off and on at random.

It's a hell of a lot easier to just buy a stationary bike, then park it in front of the TV. Thousands of gyms do something similar.

As for how to lose weight, it's not that difficult. If you burn more calories than you take in, then you will lose weight. It's not exactly rocket science.

Skip the double cheeseburgers for lunch and order a salad.

You don't have to go all in on some fad diet. Odds are that if you go with a fad diet you're just gonna get pissed off when you can't eat your favorite food and gobble down some potato chips and baloon up again.

I've seen the Atkins dieters go a week of eating nothing but meat, then they wanted to eat all the bread.

You're much better off with the basic, eat less, exercise more diet plan. It's not an easy answer, but I have found it easier to stick with.

thrakkorzog fucked around with this message at 13:43 on Sep 11, 2015

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

"Bone Broth" is just a food hipster term for "Regular Broth" right?

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
If that helps I lost 5 kilos in a month just by eating less and doing 1 hour of stationary bike every day. No more soda, no more biscuits, eat fruit and drink water instead, you can still have a special dessert every once in a while.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
You can broth tons of different things. Fish, vegetable peelings, what have you.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.

The Moon Monster posted:

What guy above said, looooooads of broths have no bones whatsoever. Probably even the majority. Doubt most people boil bones to make broth anymore.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Xandu posted:

Is there any way to bypass Java's security settings in the browser? I need it to run on a site that doesn't meet Java's requirements, but the exception list won't work.

Java is a massive bitch. It may help to fiddle with Javas general security settings, which hilariously go from "medium" to "very high", or to downgrade the version or something. But really, gently caress Java.

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

The Moon Monster posted:

Most broth is roasted bones (or fish carcasses, veg peelings, w/e) with aromats like onion, celery, etc. to enrich the flavour. Bone broth is just the bones, creating something that tastes worse than real broth but that hipsters can charge through the nose for.

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG

Busy Bee posted:

Just learned about the Schengen Area - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schengen_Area#Stays_in_excess_of_90_days

My understanding from reading the article is that if I spend 2 months in Spain - I can only spend a month in any country within the schengen area? So what would happen if I stay 3 months in Spain and then try to fly into Netherlands? Also, what is the deal with Romania? It shows as "legally obliged to join".

Yes, you can only spend 90 days at a time inside the Schengen area. If you want to overstay your visa and come to the Netherlands after spending your 90 days in Spain, I'd advise you not to fly but go by car.
But overstaying your visa could lead to problems once you leave the Schengen area, since immigration will see when you entered when they put the exit stamp in your passport.
So I'd really advise you to not do this. Being deported isn't a problem when you want to travel back, but possibly being barred from entering Europe in the future obviously is.

Romania and Bulgaria need to implement Schengen at one point, because they're continental EU members (as opposed to the UK and Ireland, who form their own Common Travel Area). But the Netherlands (and possibly Denmark? I'm not sure anymore) doesn't trust them to do a good job of protecting the outer borders or whatever, so they're not fully in yet.

EvilMayo
Dec 25, 2010

"You'll poke your anus out." - George Dubya Bush

kapalama posted:

I'm 100% sure ed Bagley junior does this.

Van Dis
Jun 19, 2004

The Moon Monster posted:

Possibly. But on the other hand, haven't you ever heard of Nail Soup?

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

thrakkorzog posted:

The problem is that most pieces of exercise equipment, like exercise bikes, usually offer some sort of artificial resistance, and that would make trying to generate electricity from them a pain in the rear end. So people would go from an almost frictionless bike that might be able to power a TV, to a bike with slightly more resistance, where the TV shuts off and on at random.

This is solved by introducing a few basic principles of physics. Namely, a big flywheel turned by a little gear train. The wheel's mass across the gearing provides the resistance, you get a lot more power than you would manually turning a wheel, and the wheel continues to spin without input and you don't get constant outages.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Do I have a reason to be concerned when my roommates:

1) Pour water straight from our shared pitcher into their mouth (without physical contact)

and

2) Store cooked food uncovered in the fridge?

Both practices seem really gross to me but I'd like to know if I'm overreacting.

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

I don't see how either of those would negatively affect you. Be glad they are courteous enough not to put their lips on the shared water pitcher.

Uncovered food in the fridge will not be good eats for your roommates, but it shouldn't affect you. You can put a box of baking soda in the fridge if you are worried about smells.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

How does food sealed in a container with air from outside the fridge and then chilled differ from food chilled in the fridge, whose air is also from outside the fridge? The only thing I could think is that moisture escapes and gets dried out by the evaporator, and for some foods (ie steaks) that can actually be a positive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

These children have taught me how to believe.
I cover food in the fridge because it dries out and I'm more likely to drop it/something in it if I don't. It's not much of an issue