Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know
Sopranos was pretty iconic.

"Woke up this morning... "

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

Vitamin P posted:

BSG and Buffy are the only shows I can think of where the intro music actually added in a 'more than the sum of its parts' way. Maybe Scrubs and Firefly.

Maybe I'm not understanding the exercise, because True Detective, Mad Men, Halt & Catch Fire, Vikings, and tons more examples of recent dramas have fantastic intro themes that do a lot to set tone, setting, and theme.

I'm not even that big a fan of Walking Dead, but the theme music and intro sequence are fantastic.

(Seriously, though, Halt & Catch Fire has an insanely awesome intro.)

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Xealot posted:

Maybe I'm not understanding the exercise, because True Detective, Mad Men, Halt & Catch Fire, Vikings, and tons more examples of recent dramas have fantastic intro themes that do a lot to set tone, setting, and theme.

I'm not even that big a fan of Walking Dead, but the theme music and intro sequence are fantastic.

(Seriously, though, Halt & Catch Fire has an insanely awesome intro.)

Halt & Catch Fire has such a good intro. It's so simple and says everything all at once, it really is an amazing piece of work.

dem dirty wafers

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Vitamin P posted:

BSG and Buffy are the only shows I can think of where the intro music actually added in a 'more than the sum of its parts' way. Maybe Scrubs and Firefly.

There are definitely a lot of shows where the intro theme has become evocative of the show. Whether it is necessary to it (in term of setting the mood and such), I think, boils down to a lot of opinion. Deep Space 9's theme, for example, is very majestic and lonely and fitting for an outpost on the edge of nowhere (which then becomes the center of everything because it's a fokkin TV show), but it's hard to say whether it's necessary to the show, or if those feelings are because I already strongly associate it with the show.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Wrong, idiots! The correct answer was Psych.

Tavarin
May 10, 2003

I am definitely a madman with a box
Sorry, the correct answer is Freakazoid.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Aphrodite posted:

Wrong, idiots! The correct answer was Psych.

You know that's right.

Also, I don't know what it adds, but I really like Marco Polo's intro

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

You remind me of the boss
What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

I'm a thousand posts out. Have I missed anything?

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Kilo147 posted:

I'm a thousand posts out. Have I missed anything?

Dubsmashwars. There's a good roundup a few pages back, and then the new ones are here: https://www.crowdrise.com/dubsmashwars

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

You remind me of the boss
What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

Red Oktober posted:

Dubsmashwars. There's a good roundup a few pages back, and then the new ones are here: https://www.crowdrise.com/dubsmashwars

I can't not vote for Clark Gregg :swoon:

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Vitamin P posted:

Babylon 5's ever-changing intro music, particularly the third season's when the poo poo hit the fan and the music reflected it.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

jng2058 posted:

Babylon 5's ever-changing intro music, particularly the third season's when the poo poo hit the fan and the music reflected it.

boom boom SCREETCH, boom boom SCREETCH...

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Ugh yeah B5's music was very 90s but it they did some fantastic stuff with the themes, especially that season 3 opener which was an extended version of the battle in The Long Twilight Struggle.

BlueBayou
Jan 16, 2008
Before she mends must sicken worse
Unf the Babylon 5 openings were so baller.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

BlueBayou posted:

Unf the Babylon 5 openings were so baller.

Right? That gradual progression to hey, we're a place of peace and diplomacy to work out problems between the races of the galaxy, to we give no shits because it is the end and the beginning.

B5 derails are the best.

hope and vaseline fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Sep 10, 2015

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

hope and vaseline posted:

Right? That gradual progression to hey, we're a place of peace and diplomacy to work out problems between the races of the galaxy, to we give no shits because it is the end and the beginning.

B5 derails are the best.

Better than dubsmash, anyway. :colbert:

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

B5 derails are the best.

Someone needs to produce a new space show quick. A new Star Trek or something. So many classic shows from that period: TNG, DS9, B5, Farscape, Andromeda.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy
NASA isn't really as big as it used to be.

Maybe if the new show was about social media?

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

NASA isn't really as big as it used to be.

Maybe if the new show was about social media?

"Myspace...the final frontier."

I know Myspace isn't a thing anymore, but the pun works better that way.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

B5 derails are the best.

So what you're really saying is that Marvel needs to start a new TV show written and produced by JMS, seeing as he's about the only writer Marvel comics ever had who wrote comics after successfully producing a TV show.

It wouldn't even be his first time handling stuff in the MCU, since he wrote the script for Thor 1.

bou
Aug 3, 2006

Sorry if i'm a little late to the discussion but when it comes to great intros i have to remind everyone of Banshee. Music is badass and the subtle foreshadowing changes to the sequence is genius in itself.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EbsG-UTHWMs

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

HotCanadianChick posted:

So what you're really saying is that Marvel needs to start a new TV show written and produced by JMS, seeing as he's about the only writer Marvel comics ever had who wrote comics after successfully producing a TV show.

It wouldn't even be his first time handling stuff in the MCU, since he wrote the script for Thor 1.

Off the top of my head I can think of Allan Heinberg who created the excellent Young Avengers after stints on prime time soaps like The OC and Party of Five, and Reginald Hudlin who was the president of BET and wrote a much maligned Black Panther run. JMS has burned quite a few bridges with Marvel though so I doubt he'd come back anytime soon.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

JMS has burned quite a few bridges with Marvel though so I doubt he'd come back anytime soon.
pro click zone if you like reading about famous comic people slapfighting on social media: http://www.toonzone.net/forums/threads/jms-versus-marvel-on-spider-man-sales.5187511/

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

B5 derails are the best.

Wing Commander 6 looking good

kayakyakr posted:

Someone needs to produce a new space show quick. A new Star Trek or something. So many classic shows from that period: TNG, DS9, B5, Farscape, Andromeda.

I think it's insane that they haven't made a new Star Trek show, like what the gently caress are they doing. There's no way that won't be a huge hit in today's TV environment

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Off the top of my head I can think of Allan Heinberg who created the excellent Young Avengers after stints on prime time soaps like The OC and Party of Five, and Reginald Hudlin who was the president of BET and wrote a much maligned Black Panther run. JMS has burned quite a few bridges with Marvel though so I doubt he'd come back anytime soon.

And a minor talent Marvel might have forgotten by the name of Joss Whedon. Dude didn't just make movies for them, he wrote one of the seminal runs of X-Men.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

Hakkesshu posted:

I think it's insane that they haven't made a new Star Trek show, like what the gently caress are they doing. There's no way that won't be a huge hit in today's TV environment

Michael Dorn has been trying to get a "Chronicles of Worf" show going some time now.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Gaz-L posted:

And a minor talent Marvel might have forgotten by the name of Joss Whedon. Dude didn't just make movies for them, he wrote one of the seminal runs of X-Men.

Well I just assumed everyone knew about that Whedon guy

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

I don't know if Whedon will work with Marvel again after talking about the issues he had making Avengers 2.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Well I just assumed everyone knew about that Whedon guy

Sorry, my post was pretty badly phrased, I'd meant to say he was pretty much the first TV show producer to start writing at Marvel, not the only one.

As far as some drama occurring between him and Marvel, I'd never heard of that (I try to avoid following comic industry news precisely because there are too many stories of people acting like petulant manchildren in it).

It's a shame, as he might have been a good choice as a show runner for a Marvel show.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

Hakkesshu posted:

Supposedly CBS thinks the movie failure of Nemesis was because of franchise fatigue from having too many Star Trek shows on TV for too long, and in order to avoid that they now want to minimize how much Trek they make - i.e., no new TV series.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

XboxPants posted:

Supposedly CBS thinks the movie failure of Nemesis was because of franchise fatigue

I don't disagree with this. By that point Star Trek had become so complacent. Everything felt so rote and perfunctory.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

Phylodox posted:

I don't disagree with this. By that point Star Trek had become so complacent. Everything felt so rote and perfunctory.

It just seems like a victim of timing and curious decision making. Just before "nerdy" became trendy, and after TNG got long in the tooth. I mean, Nemesis came out 4 years after the bleh Insurrection and 8 years after the series ended. Voyager was pretty bleh, and the Enterprise series just sucked, a bad idea all around. There was no reason to expect Nemesis to do well. The series needed a good reboot, which came what, 7 years later?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

A Star Trek TV show right now would be a competing property with the movies and CBS doesn't want to do that. TV and movie rights for the franchise are held by different owners.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Pander posted:

It just seems like a victim of timing and curious decision making. Just before "nerdy" became trendy, and after TNG got long in the tooth. I mean, Nemesis came out 4 years after the bleh Insurrection and 8 years after the series ended. Voyager was pretty bleh, and the Enterprise series just sucked, a bad idea all around. There was no reason to expect Nemesis to do well. The series needed a good reboot, which came what, 7 years later?

Also they let a guy write it who had never seen an episode of Star Trek and knew literally nothing about it. That didn't help.

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

The MSJ posted:

I don't know if Whedon will work with Marvel again after talking about the issues he had making Avengers 2.

Except the creative committee is now defunct, and most of the fuckery came from them.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

XboxPants posted:

Supposedly CBS thinks the movie failure of Nemesis was because of franchise fatigue from having too many Star Trek shows on TV for too long, and in order to avoid that they now want to minimize how much Trek they make - i.e., no new TV series.

bull3964 posted:

A Star Trek TV show right now would be a competing property with the movies and CBS doesn't want to do that. TV and movie rights for the franchise are held by different owners.

TV series and merchandising is controlled by CBS who is not exactly known to be forward thinking. Abrams had a whole plan in place to cover a bunch of different formats including a TV series and a whole chain of movies. CBS dragged their feet, Abrams gave up, went to do the same for Star Wars.

A new timeline Stargazer series on Netflix or a lower-decks series on HBO could be so good.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

That's fine, his talents are better suited for Star Wars anyways. I really wouldn't want an JJ helmed TV series.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

The MSJ posted:

In the last interview he did before taking a break he said that the disagreements were minor, and of the sort that happens any time you are working on other peoples projects, and he would be interested in working with them again.
There is always a problem when you do text transcripts of Whedon interviews, it often lacks the context of how he says things. So things that you can clearly hear are him making jokes, often comes out super serious. In other words the issues he had with Marvel were wildly exaggerated.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
I mean, the guy went back to Fox after the Firefly nonsense. I don't think anything Marvel supposedly did would ever compare.

(Especially since his own production company is still making a TV show for the TV side of Marvel.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Sci-fi shows had amazing intros in the past.

No one has guitar work like this anymore
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uLAsBzOOhLQ

Though Blake's 7 clearly had a reason for sounding similar to the Star Trek Theme.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tlSgxLE5ydk

You know, the BBC should make a new Blake's 7.

Anyways, Agents of SHIELD, I really hope they fill out the cast with some interesting and recognizable characters. Also, hoping for that Kree infiltrator subplot. I mean both Noh-varr and Mar-vell would be good TV level characters for a single episode.

• Locked thread