Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
The new :siren:canon:siren: Uprising game has the dumbest fuckin' planet name yet

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Burnin_Konn/Canon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
That isn't terrible, just sci-fi generic.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I tried watching Buffy once. Didn't make it through the first episode.

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

Lucas certain tried quipping throughout the prequels, but both the writing and delivery failed. The Kotor games and comic are a good example of doing it right. I think that is fine, and when someone throws the "josh whedon" I assume they mean overly precious or fan-pandering quips.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

Chairman Capone posted:

On the other hand all his defenders are insufferable twats who think he's an avant-garde genius who goes over the head of anti-intellectual lowbrows and think there is a literal conspiracy to destroy his reputation.

Well, you know. Heroes on both sides and all that.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

^^^I had to check the previous page to make sure you weren't talking about Whedon^^^

While not a fan of Whedon, I never got the hate. It's one guys style! I'd much sooner prefer him to work on a beloved IP than some other directors.

I suspect the hate has more to do with Whedon's fans than Whedon himself.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI
Yeah, I have nothing wrong with snarky humor or Wheedon personally. I'd take a movie full of Whedonisms over Jar Jar Binks any day.

Firefly is an ok show that is basically ruined by its insufferable fanbase. It was all right and certainly had potential, but if you tell me it's the best sci-fi series of all time, I get the temptation to push you down a flight of stairs.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I remember listening to a recording of this solo Q&A panel Whedon did with a large crowd at one of the big conventions a few years ago, I think shortly after the first Avengers movie came out... I came away from it thinking he and his annoying fans kinda deserve one another. I mean, I've nothing against Whedon; I'm sure he's a pleasant guy, I think he's a good writer and I enjoyed Buffy and Angel a lot, but I have this impression that he buys into a lot of his own hype. :shrug:

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Age of Ultron was just bad though. Not to say parts of it don't work, but what an overlong, samey slog.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Avengers and AoU also nail that ugly/busy/uninteresting/cheap look while also costing millions of dollars. Firefly, a tv show made on a tv show budget, manages to look better than both of them.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Avengers and AoU also nail that ugly/busy/uninteresting/cheap look while also costing millions of dollars. Firefly, a tv show made on a tv show budget, manages to look better than both of them.

For all of Firefly's problems, it did have a really neat aesthetic that reminded me a lot of Star Wars. It nailed the whole 'rundown universe' thing that the OT did so well.

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

In the far future white people will quip at each other bilingually and appropriate what Whedon imagines other cultures' sex workers' practices to be. Also they'll probs paint Space Confederate flags on their spaceships.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

yronic heroism posted:

In the far future white people will quip at each other bilingually and appropriate what Whedon imagines other cultures' sex workers' practices to be. Also they'll probs paint Space Confederate flags on their spaceships.
Let's not overlook how they take pains to never interact with Asians in the purportedly Chinese-dominated futuresphere.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
I'll be happy if they sneak just one "gently caress" into the dialogue.

I don't think one is too much to ask! :buddy:

Van Dis
Jun 19, 2004

ImpAtom posted:

Frankly one of the things the prequel trilogy missed was that. The cast being largely dour and overly-serious detracted from it. You only really started to get some of it between Anakin and Obi-Wan as opposed to the original trilogy where pretty much everyone snarked on each other and it actually helped define their personalities.

You think the prequels would have benefited from more quips.

Can't say I agree.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
The issue was the person writing the quips and directing the actors to say those quips in the dullest way possible. What kind of autist weirdo doesn't want any quips in their Star Wars?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I recently watched the deleted scenes from the OT on YouTube, which I have not seen before.

I like the one with Luke and Biggs at Tosche Station but I get why it was taken out - it adds a bit of context about the Empire but if it had stayed in, it probably would've slowed things down a whole lot. I also enjoy the one from ROTJ where Jerjerrod is on the Death Star's bridge when the Emperor commands him to fire at Endor if the shield generator gets knocked out.

The one with the wampas getting into Echo Base in ESB seemed a bit ill-advised, though. Didn't really add anything, to my mind, and probably best left out of the movie.

Also: is Mace Windu coming back in the next season of Rebels?

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Wheat Loaf posted:

Also: is Mace Windu coming back in the next season of Rebels?

Well it's not like they ever found his body.

gently caress, I wouldn't put it past Disney for Sheev to pop up in Episode 9 (and not because of David Bowie clones)

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I don't know why I visit The Force.Net sometimes, because the level of hoops some people are jumping through to justify their positions is hilarious.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

I'm listening to Aftermath on audio book, based on recommendations here that it's easier to handle that way. I do agree, it feels more like a script read through this way. I have to ask though, do audio books normally have this level of sound effects and score? I've only listened to a few in the past, but the ones I did never had this level of production.

I think I like it, but it's definitely more audio drama than "book".

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

thrawn527 posted:

I'm listening to Aftermath on audio book, based on recommendations here that it's easier to handle that way. I do agree, it feels more like a script read through this way. I have to ask though, do audio books normally have this level of sound effects and score? I've only listened to a few in the past, but the ones I did never had this level of production.

Plenty of Audio books do sound effects, it's been a thing for years.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Wheat Loaf posted:

I also enjoy the one from ROTJ where Jerjerrod is on the Death Star's bridge when the Emperor commands him to fire at Endor if the shield generator gets knocked out.

Checked this out because I'd never heard of it, and it's really a shame. Jerjerrod and Veers are cool, but they're the only imperial characters in the OT who aren't comic-book evil. I wonder how different Jedi would have been if they'd had a Tarkin-esque strong Imperial character who wasn't Palpatine or Vader. I also checked out this compilation of cut Rebel extras;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vHnhxHMJcJ4

Some of the rebel pilots have really terrible line readings, but I wish they'd been able to keep at least a few seconds of the Falcon crew, just to make the ship feel a bit more populated during the battle.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Arcsquad12 posted:

Interesting. I normally read on my Kindle, but I may have to go with audio books every once in a while. Different experience altogether.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Arcsquad12 posted:

I don't know why I visit The Force.Net sometimes, because the level of hoops some people are jumping through to justify their positions is hilarious.

I think you answered your own question.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Arcsquad12 posted:

What sort of thing?

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Arcsquad12 posted:

Well with Star Wars books it is, but it's pretty uncommon in most other ones I've heard, even fictional ones. It adds a lot of value to the proceedings.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Wheat Loaf posted:

What sort of thing?

Right now there's this whole kerfuffle over the Bring Back Legends facebook group allegedly harassing people at DragonCon and derailing panels. Apparently asking Timothy Zahn how he felt about someone else writing Mara's death is considered being hostile. One person has gone so far as to label people hating on Chuck Wendigs new book Sad Banthas, as if comparisons to the Hugo Awards fuckup this year are applicable to loving Star Wars books.

gfanikf posted:

Well with Star Wars books it is, but it's pretty uncommon in most other ones I've heard, even fictional ones. It adds a lot of value to the proceedings.

I have an audiobook cassette tape for The Lion The Witch and the Wardrobe from something like 1997 that has sound effects.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Arcsquad12 posted:

I have an audiobook cassette tape for The Lion The Witch and the Wardrobe from something like 1997 that has sound effects.
Did it also have a lot of music in it, besides an intro? I mean besides Star Trek it's not something I've encountered being heavily used, to the point it's almost (in a good way) like old time radio or the Star Wars radio dramas.

I guess it's just the things I listened to didn't use it that often.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Checked this out because I'd never heard of it, and it's really a shame. Jerjerrod and Veers are cool, but they're the only imperial characters in the OT who aren't comic-book evil. I wonder how different Jedi would have been if they'd had a Tarkin-esque strong Imperial character who wasn't Palpatine or Vader. I also checked out this compilation of cut Rebel extras;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vHnhxHMJcJ4

Some of the rebel pilots have really terrible line readings, but I wish they'd been able to keep at least a few seconds of the Falcon crew, just to make the ship feel a bit more populated during the battle.
I mean I kinda get it, the Falcon's doing all these flips and dives during the battle and the dudes are just sorta casually strolling around without being strapped in.

Second quad cannon guy is super into it though and it's loving great :haw:

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Arcsquad12 posted:

Right now there's this whole kerfuffle over the Bring Back Legends facebook group allegedly harassing people at DragonCon and derailing panels. Apparently asking Timothy Zahn how he felt about someone else writing Mara's death is considered being hostile. One person has gone so far as to label people hating on Chuck Wendigs new book Sad Banthas, as if comparisons to the Hugo Awards fuckup this year are applicable to loving Star Wars books.

Good grief.

Come to think of it, weren't TFN really obsequious to Karen Traviss as well, or am I thinking of somewhere else?

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

thrawn527 posted:

Based on this post and your username, you should get the recent audiobooks of the Zahn trilogy. They have a ton of production behind them and similarly feel like a "dramatized" version of the book. It really makes Zahn's books feel like the OT films.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

gfanikf posted:

Did it also have a lot of music in it, besides an intro? I mean besides Star Trek it's not something I've encountered being heavily used, to the point it's almost (in a good way) like old time radio or the Star Wars radio dramas.

I guess it's just the things I listened to didn't use it that often.

Full music and sound effects. It was a bit more conservative, with more empty air for just sound and dialogue, but music was used for major scenes.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Wheat Loaf posted:

Good grief.

Come to think of it, weren't TFN really obsequious to Karen Traviss as well, or am I thinking of somewhere else?

I find it odd that homophobia is only being brought up now, especially considering the Site's history with Karen Traviss. She had a gay Mandalorian couple in her books, but nobody batted an eye. They were too busy disliking them for her Jedi Fascism stance and her toxic relationship with the fanbase. Which is why I think this whole Chuck Wendig thing is getting overblown. Perhaps people just think your book is poo poo? Not because you have gay characters in it? There's certainly going to be a few homophobic reviews, but to label everyone hating on Aftermath a bigot is kinda ridiculous.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Force Awakens merchandising game heating up

:laffo:

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

thrawn527 posted:

Interesting. I normally read on my Kindle, but I may have to go with audio books every once in a while. Different experience altogether.
The original abridged Thrawn Trilogy audiobooks had sound effects, music, and Denis Lawson/Anthony Daniels. The new unabridged ones do too, minus the celebrities. Some audiobooks even do full-casts for main characters, and the members of the cast will do the "extras" as well.

Casimir Radon fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Sep 11, 2015

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

Arcsquad12 posted:

I find it odd that homophobia is only being brought up now, especially considering the Site's history with Karen Traviss. She had a gay Mandalorian couple in her books, but nobody batted an eye. They were too busy disliking them for her Jedi Fascism stance and her toxic relationship with the fanbase.
Except for the thing where TFN was backing her to the hilt, rather than disliking her.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

There's a lesbian couple in Aftermath but all that really does is acknowledge that there are gay people in Star Wars, wooptydoo. It's kind of like the pants making GBS threads after Postcards from Buster on PBS had a segment with a lesbian couple. The main focus was on maple syrup production but apparently Buster remarking "That's a lot of moms!" was the signal that this was a good hill to die on.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI
I'm a couple hours into the Aftermath audibook now.

The teenage kid is really kind of annoying. The ex-Imperial guy is kind of cool, though. The book isn't really written much like a book at all, but more like a script, so it actually DOES work better as an audio drama. I wonder if this guy has more of a screenwriting background, because it sure feels like it. Is he in JJ's stable?

It really is kind of an odd book, though. It has two seemingly unrelated plots going on at once, and little short stories with unrelated characters randomly thrown into it.

Also I finished season 1 of Star Wars Rebels and watched the between seasons special and it's starting to get good. Vader, Tarkin and Ashoka all show up, and now the gang is in with an actual group of Rebels. My main complaint with Rebels is its' seemingly low budget compared to the Clone Wars. Many characters never get their faces shown and where Vader is talking to the Emperor, you can't even see him, implying that they didn't make a 3D model for him in time. Hopefully as time goes on, they can put more money into the show so it doesn't feel so limited.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Casimir Radon posted:

There's a lesbian couple in Aftermath but all that really does is acknowledge that there are gay people in Star Wars, wooptydoo. It's kind of like the pants making GBS threads after Postcards from Buster on PBS had a segment with a lesbian couple. The main focus was on maple syrup production but apparently Buster remarking "That's a lot of moms!" was the signal that this was a good hill to die on.

If anyone remembers some of the drama on the TOR forums this was something that had to be clarified.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Van Dis posted:

You think the prequels would have benefited from more quips.

Can't say I agree.

I think you dislike J.J. Abrams and so you're trying to justify why his Star Wars film will be bad 'objectively' even if that means ignoring the previous films. I'm not responding to your concerns about "it'll be too CGI looking" because that makes sense. v:shobon:v

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Sep 11, 2015