Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012
no john. you are the cyberdemons

and then john was in an illusio-pit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
I preferred the manga adaption, personally.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I'm confused by some of the monster replacements in Demonsteele. I know the floating weird monks are cacodemons, the dark enemies are the cloaked pinkies, but what are those disappearing or teleporting samurai/ninjas? And the ghosts?

That big skull tank is the cyberdemon, right?

I wrote a full list and items too! Its under "The Legions of Hell".

Cardboard Box A posted:

So someone made a game that looks to be entirely about the Hall of Mirrors effect and similar visual glitches

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nptXAYlRhFo

Looks like the kind of thing that's better played and not watched in trailer format. :v:

Thyrork fucked around with this message at 14:55 on Sep 10, 2015

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Thyrork posted:

I wrote a full list and items too! Its under "The Legions of Hell".

Looks like the kind of thing that's better played and not watched in trailer format. :v:

There was a proof-of-concept demo of this floating around a few years ago and this new video is a big step forward in clarity. The demo seems to have been taken offline but here's someone's playthrough: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6G_IU5lK1E8 (gameplay starts at ~1:00).

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Cardboard Box A posted:

So someone made a game that looks to be entirely about the Hall of Mirrors effect and similar visual glitches

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nptXAYlRhFo

Was expecting a doom map with actual hall of mirrors effect :argh:

Are there any doom maps intended to be played with noclip on? You could create some really weird mazes.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Sep 10, 2015

esselfortium
Jul 19, 2006

Cumulonimbus Antagonistic Posting

Zaphod42 posted:

Are there any doom maps intended to be played with noclip on? You could create some really weird mazes.

Well, there's an intentional voidglide speed route in map30 of Unholy Realms...

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
Where does one go to get UT2004 characters/skins? I recall having the usual suspects of Barney/Homer Simpson/TMNT/etc. on my old PC, but not where where I should be looking now.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

Minidust posted:

Where does one go to get UT2004 characters/skins? I recall having the usual suspects of Barney/Homer Simpson/TMNT/etc. on my old PC, but not where where I should be looking now.

Skin City has the biggest listing of Ut2K4 skins out there, but you'll need to go here to download them.

an_mutt
Sep 29, 2010

I was,
I am,
and I remain a soldier!

Sworn to dedicate my heart and soul to the restoration of human kind!

Zaphod42 posted:

The only thing that springs to mind is the fact that a non-clip player can still take damage from harm floors. Maybe some kind of map that is harm floor heavy, and every action is Walk One/Walk Repeatable to force players to turn noclip off and on to be able to progress? Amidst some kind of projectile hell? Turn off noclip at your own peril, etc.

Douk Douk
Mar 17, 2009

Take your pervert war elsewhere.
One thing that always annoyed me when I was in Noclip mode was that you could end up falling down a really long pit and be unable to change direction because you were in mid-air, so utilizing big pits would also be a good obstacle for a noclip map.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

closeted republican posted:

Skin City has the biggest listing of Ut2K4 skins out there, but you'll need to go here to download them.
That looks like exactly what I need, thanks!

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

an_mutt posted:

The only thing that springs to mind is the fact that a non-clip player can still take damage from harm floors. Maybe some kind of map that is harm floor heavy, and every action is Walk One/Walk Repeatable to force players to turn noclip off and on to be able to progress? Amidst some kind of projectile hell? Turn off noclip at your own peril, etc.

Douk Douk posted:

One thing that always annoyed me when I was in Noclip mode was that you could end up falling down a really long pit and be unable to change direction because you were in mid-air, so utilizing big pits would also be a good obstacle for a noclip map.

That's some clever ideas.

I was just thinking of a map that was so dense but winding and labyrinthine that you'd be accidentally walking from one room into a completely different room all the time, and just figuring out where you're supposed to go and which way is which would be confusing.

But giving the player actual threats and traps even in noclip would be pretty silly too. I'd mess around with the idea but I'm too lazy.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Here's something I haven't seen before that Romero posted on Twitter: A painting Don Ivan Punchatz, the guy who painted Doom's box art, did for an EGM cover at some point:

QwertySanchez
Jun 19, 2009

a wacky guy
For a second there I thought the middle Demon had a big cigar and the one on the left was clutching a big handful of money.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

The Kins posted:

Here's something I haven't seen before that Romero posted on Twitter: A painting Don Ivan Punchatz, the guy who painted Doom's box art, did for an EGM cover at some point:

Holy poo poo I am pretty sure I had that magazine. Definitely a rare piece.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

The Kins posted:

This is more hardcore than it seems at first glance! The left arm has clearly been severed and is hanging from the gun. Doom Guy is such a badass he hardly seems phased by this fact; possibly because he's flying so high on a near lethal dose of steroids/EPO/HGH/painkillers that he can totally see through the painting, maannnn

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

david_a posted:

This is more hardcore than it seems at first glance! The left arm has clearly been severed and is hanging from the gun.

I can't stop laughing :lol:

I was thinking about commenting on the awkward perspective in that picture. I mean its better than I could ever do but, yeah.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Aside from in the HUD, it weirds me out to see Doomguy's face.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012
Tangentially related.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KePqsSlaz1g

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Guys (and girls)!!! It's Reelism Eve! :toot:

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

You know what's an early FPS that I've been dying to play again?

Star Wars: Dark Forces

First FPS game I've ever played, poo poo was tight. Memory's a bit hazy on it, but I remember that level where you got kidnapped by Jabba the Hutt and had to fight his big-rear end lizard dogs with your loving fists, that one place where you got to fight Boba Fett, and that drat sewer level that scared me so bad as kid I had to use a cheat code to skip past it.

That's on steam ya? Might pick it up sometime

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
It's on Steam but I don't know if anybody has gotten it running perfectly.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Reelisms Greetings!

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Animal-Mother posted:

It's on Steam but I don't know if anybody has gotten it running perfectly.
XL Engine actually runs it really well. There might be a slight issue or two but it's really playable.

Casimir Radon fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Sep 11, 2015

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
The slight issue is that you can't play the final levels of the game.

The Steam version uses DOSBox with a custom modern-style key mapping, so I'd just use that version.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Parrotine posted:

First FPS game I've ever played, poo poo was tight. Memory's a bit hazy on it, but I remember that level where you got kidnapped by Jabba the Hutt and had to fight his big-rear end lizard dogs with your loving fists, that one place where you got to fight Boba Fett, and that drat sewer level that scared me so bad as kid I had to use a cheat code to skip past it.

It's not Dark Forces, but you should definitely play the new pcorf Doom wad (Doomed: Space Wars). http://www.doomworld.com/vb/wads-mods/68923-doomed-space-wars-released/

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Elliotw2 posted:

The Steam version uses DOSBox with a custom modern-style key mapping, so I'd just use that version.
I'm pretty sure it worked for me.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Parrotine posted:

Dark Forces loving rules.

Yeah the dosbox steam should be fine.

And indeed, the most memorable part of the entire game are those loving sewers.

I wasn't allowed to play Doom as a kid (:argh:) so I played a poo poo ton of Dark Forces instead. Lol same thing.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Elliotw2 posted:

Somebody went and fixed a couple issues here. I haven't gotten much further though, so I have no idea if that makes it all fine. XL Engine should be super cool by now but...

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

God drat it I thought yesterday was the 10th. I was really looking forward to coming home today after 13 hours of field and lab work and settle down with some REELs :mad:

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Mak0rz posted:

God drat it I thought yesterday was the 10th. I was really looking forward to coming home today after 13 hours of field and lab work and settle down with some REELs :mad:

Technically it should be released at 9 PM PST because any game that goes live on the "11th" is technically released at 9 PM PST on the 10th. That's how Steam does it and that's how I expect Kins to do it if he's worth his salt.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Technically it should be released at 9 PM PST because any game that goes live on the "11th" is technically released at 9 PM PST on the 10th. That's how Steam does it and that's how I expect Kins to do it if he's worth his salt.
Well, I guess I'm just not worth my salt.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

The Kins posted:

Well, I guess I'm just not worth my salt.

:woop::woop::woop:

(Me IRL)

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!
I found that the included version of DOSbox with Dark Forces on Steam was outdated, and updating it fixed all the problems I was having with it.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Kins is Australian. They're not exactly renowned for how they handle video game releases.

Geight posted:

I found that the included version of DOSbox with Dark Forces on Steam was outdated, and updating it fixed all the problems I was having with it.

That's funny because when I did that I noticed absolutely no change. I wasn't really having much issue with it to begin with, except DOSbox (both the Steam version and the newest release) outright crashing whenever I tried to open the key mapping tool...

Mak0rz fucked around with this message at 06:06 on Sep 11, 2015

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!

Mak0rz posted:

That's funny because when I did that I noticed absolutely no change. I wasn't really having much issue with it to begin with, except DOSbox (both the Steam version and the newest release) outright crashing whenever I tried to open the key mapping tool...

poo poo, I dunno then. Dark Forces is hard. Computers are hard. :saddowns:

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
I wish the guy who was making the Dark Forces source port finished it, rather than leaving it as a buggy thing that occasionally erases all of your save data.

Highblood
May 20, 2012

Let's talk about tactics.
I came

:supaburn::circlefap::supaburn:

Highblood fucked around with this message at 07:02 on Sep 11, 2015

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

Zaphod42 posted:

Dark Forces loving rules.

Yeah the dosbox steam should be fine.

And indeed, the most memorable part of the entire game are those loving sewers.

I wasn't allowed to play Doom as a kid (:argh:) so I played a poo poo ton of Dark Forces instead. Lol same thing.

I remember this mining level, the one that you got to fight the phase 1 shock (?) Storm Trooper near the end of it. Made a big fanfare of it in the game, where these twin cylinders raise out of the ground accompanied with red hi-beam lights and sirens wailing like shits about to hit the fan. And then out just crawled this mess of wire, robotics and pure hate, something that is clearly in pain at being alive and wants to take it out on you.

Turned tail and booked it back the way I came, except oh god the door's locked, why is the door locked, spin back around and well poo poo, he's gone, that trooper can stick and move. Don't know how and don't care, pull a 180 back around the bend and he's right in my face :stonk:

Couldn't empty the clip of my lovely stormtrooper assault rifle fast enough, jesus tap dancing christ I practically broke the drat space bar on my keyboard. That thing was dead before it hit the ground and I just could not stop unloading into it. My overactive first grade fear had taken hold of me and would not let up until the pride of the Empire's R&D department was nothing more than a smoldering husk of copper and ash.

Yeah now I definitely gotta play this game again

White Light fucked around with this message at 07:26 on Sep 11, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Take me at your own risk.

Kiss From a Hog
That motherfucking wizard in a monster truck gets me every time. Who provided his lines?