Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Captain Lavender posted:

Star Trek Chat - I just noticed its all on there.

Did Enterprise ever get good enough to watch? Anything worthwhile there?

And if you had to choose between Voyager or Deep Space 9, which would you watch?

I like seasons 3 and 4 of Enterprise. Seasons 1 and 2 aren't always terrible, just fairly boring mpst of the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sighence
Aug 26, 2009

Voyager won an Emmy.

DS9 did not.

The choice should be clear. :unsmigghh:

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

Popular consensus is that DS9 is the better of the two. Personally, I liked Voyager, but :shrug:

I guess if you like the campy stuff Voy would be the way to go. DS9 is a solid show though, with occasional gimmick episodes interspersed with the multi season dominion arc.

Dr. MonkeyThunder
Sep 21, 2005

All is, if i have grace to use it so...

jodai posted:

Monster Squad is on Netflix. It's an 80s movie where a bunch of kids fight Dracula and some other monsters. I had not seen it before and it's pretty fun.

I love this movie. It's not just some other monsters it's all of the old school universal monsters. It's also kind of self aware because the kids are horror movie buffs so they ask the important questions like can you kill a werewolf without silver? Does Dracula like pizza? and most importantly, Does wolfman have nards? Nope. Hell no. He does!

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

egon_beeblebrox posted:

I like seasons 3 and 4 of Enterprise. Seasons 1 and 2 aren't always terrible, just fairly boring mpst of the time.

No, sorry, Enterprise was terrible, legit awful. Capt Quantum Leap was terrible, his character was terrible, and continuity was worse than any show I've ever seen, worse than I believed was possible from professionals. And to pile it on, because it really deserves it, many major actions with consequence happen off screen. And the entire series is a time travel plot.

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

I've got tiiits that swingle dangle dingle

Mostly Martha is on Netflix now. It had an American remake but the German original is vastly superior. It is sad and lovely.

om nom nom
Jul 23, 2011

om nom nom nom nom nom nom
Grimey Drawer
I just started Danger 5 on Netflix and it is absurdly wonderful

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

kazil posted:

I guess I'm the minority because while I think Bojack gets better, I don't think it ever really gets good.

Like, people go on and on about how great it gets and I just don't see it.

People who call Bojack great aren't calling it great because it's a funny show. I love the show but I really can't remember the last time I actually laughed at the show. It's great because it's just such a realistic and horrible downward spiral of a trainwreck

jodai
Mar 2, 2010

Banging with all due hardness.

Volume posted:

People who call Bojack great aren't calling it great because it's a funny show. I love the show but I really can't remember the last time I actually laughed at the show. It's great because it's just such a realistic and horrible downward spiral of a trainwreck

I like that Bojack, a literal horse-man, has the more realistic story line while Todd, the scrubby 20 something human has a bunch of wacky hijinks. Also, every time Mr. Peanutbutter had a party, the banner would crack me up.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Captain Lavender posted:

And if you had to choose between Voyager or Deep Space 9, which would you watch?

The answer for 90% of people is going to be DS9, but watch Threshold (S2E15) from Voyager so you get to experience the most insane hour of television produced by any Star Trek series.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Boxman posted:

The answer for 90% of people is going to be DS9, but watch Threshold (S2E15) from Voyager so you get to experience the most insane hour of television produced by any Star Trek series.

Is that the one where they de-evolve, then Tom and Janeway mate?

Sighence
Aug 26, 2009

wormil posted:

Yes.

It's also the Emmy winner.

(It's for the sound)

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Sighence posted:

Yes.

It's also the Emmy winner.

(It's for the sound)

I thought it was make-up or the salamander creature's special effects. Either way it is a hilarious punchline to the franchise.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

wormil posted:

No, sorry, Enterprise was terrible, legit awful. Capt Quantum Leap was terrible, his character was terrible, and continuity was worse than any show I've ever seen, worse than I believed was possible from professionals. And to pile it on, because it really deserves it, many major actions with consequence happen off screen. And the entire series is a time travel plot.

Eh, I admit, part of the reason I like Enterprise is my man crush on Scott Bakula from when I watched Quantum Leap as a kid.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

wormil posted:

They don't just mate, they reproduce. The crew takes one look at the lizard babies and go "nope" then just leave 'em on whatever planet they find them on.

If you haven't seen the episode, read no spoilers going in. If you have and it's been a while, I encourage you to watch it again - I just re-watched all of Voyager not too long ago and it blew my mind how completely insane Threshold is.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Boxman posted:

They don't just mate, they reproduce. The crew takes one look at the lizard babies and go "nope" then just leave 'em on whatever planet they find them on.

If you haven't seen the episode, read no spoilers going in. If you have and it's been a while, I encourage you to watch it again - I just re-watched all of Voyager not too long ago and it blew my mind how completely insane Threshold is.

I like the fact that Kate Mulgrew got frustrated with how they wrote Janeway as an insane person and just went with it.

Show is still objectively bad but eh,

Year of Hell could have been cool if they didn't push the reset button at the end.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

The trouble with Voyager is that in their zeal to write a good female captain (absolutely a noble and worthy goal) they made Janeway literally better than everyone else in the crew at their respective jobs.

One of the awesome things about Picard is that he delegated all the stuff he wasn't good at. But in Voyager, if the poo poo's going down, don't send in Chakotay or Tuvok or Kim or Paris, send Janeway in.

The rest of the characters are just there for her to talk to.

Even Kirk didn't pretend to be a doctor or an engineer.

TNG is the best episode by episode, DS9 has an amazing 7 season story arc, Voyager is a mix that doesn't quite work because the characters aren't interesting.

EDIT: Also Voyager had that two episode combo that potentially negated the existence of an entire season of the show. Dick move.

Fate Accomplice has a new favorite as of 22:43 on Sep 10, 2015

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

The best episode of Voyager was the one where 7 of 9 fought The Rock, and Jeffrey Combs was there.

jodai
Mar 2, 2010

Banging with all due hardness.

egon_beeblebrox posted:

The best episode of Voyager was the one where 7 of 9 fought The Rock, and Jeffrey Combs was there.
Haha, I thought I imagined that one.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

egon_beeblebrox posted:

The best part is that Jeri Ryan had a messy divorce with some Chicago senator dude that ended up with B-Rock the Islamic shock Obama getting a boost in the direction of the presidency.

She had the self esteem to say 'I'm not going to swing my titties around like an extra in Roadhouse, tyvm' and his political ship sank.

Coatlicue
Sep 14, 2012

it doesn't matter
how fast or how far,
you're still runnin' like a fool
Anyone else watching Top of the Lake? It's a mini series about a girl that goes missing in a small remote New Zealand town. It reminds me a lot of Twin Peaks. Really sad though. I had to take breaks between episodes. This is on Netflix.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

egon_beeblebrox posted:

Eh, I admit, part of the reason I like Enterprise is my man crush on Scott Bakula from when I watched Quantum Leap as a kid.

Yeah I loved Quantum Leap as a kid but I have an irrational hatred for Enterprise and everything about it. Except Trip. Trip was alright. And Jolene Blalock was actually not bad as a Vulcan since she has no emotions in real life. Surprised those two haven't been suckered into SyFy movies, Vulcans vs Zombies or something.

edit;

Coatlicue posted:

Anyone else watching Top of the Lake? It's a mini series about a girl that goes missing in a small remote New Zealand town. It reminds me a lot of Twin Peaks. Really sad though. I had to take breaks between episodes. This is on Netflix.

I watched one episode and never felt the need to watch more.

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

Got some good input on Star Trek. I'm super into TNG, so I feel like DS9 is the way to go now, with a continuing story that's in the same general realm. Voyager is in some far off quadrant right? Yeah. I'll see'em both.

TNG so good y'all.

I want to contribute, but I really don't have anything noteworthy I can find. Soo... Crocodile Dundee is up?

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

Captain Lavender posted:

I want to contribute, but I really don't have anything noteworthy I can find. Soo... Crocodile Dundee is up?

Some of the jokes reeeeally don't go over well these days, but mostly it's still super-charming.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

egon_beeblebrox posted:

Some of the jokes reeeeally don't go over well these days, but mostly it's still super-charming.

That's not a knife mate, this is a dynamite fishing, Colombian drug dealing, bat guano sucking sniper mission and an Aussie ripoff of that fat middle easterner guy in Raiders. He's so incompetent. Watch out blokes here comes a stingray I'm going to hug it...

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

syscall girl posted:

That's not a knife mate, this is a dynamite fishing, Colombian drug dealing, bat guano sucking sniper mission and an Aussie ripoff of that fat middle easterner guy in Raiders. He's so incompetent. Watch out blokes here comes a stingray I'm going to hug it...

Isn't most of that number 2? It ain't good.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

egon_beeblebrox posted:

Isn't most of that number 2? It ain't good.

Yeah i get them confused. It's been a while.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Narcos is pretty cool you guys, it's a story about everything that happened around Pablo Escobar. Basically that part where Jesse visited the Colombian cartel in Breaking Bad: the series. Pretty high budget with real locations, everybody who's supposed to speak Spanish speaks Spanish so that's a bold move. It could use a bit more personal-drama depth but it's real cool nontheless and paints a very wide picture.

Rolled Cabbage
Sep 3, 2006

Coatlicue posted:

Love this show but still have not managed to watch the last episode for that reason. The Hinterland has a similar vibe and pops up on Netflix every so often. There is a new season due out, so if its not on now it will be very shortly.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
Top of the Lake was probably the best dramatic TV show I watched in the last year, only Mr Robot was as good I thought, and it's very different. I loved the female-driven energy of it though, her first encounter with the cute guy was him going down in HER in a club bathroom.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen
I just discovered Jericho. I love this show.

Obdicut
May 15, 2012

"What election?"
The weirdest thing about Enterprise was Tripp getting impregnated without his consent by someone who just figured it couldn't happen, no access to abortion, and everyone laughing at him about it.

spite house
Apr 28, 2009

Coatlicue posted:

Yeah, Jane Campion is reliable. I liked it, the performances were great and the setting was fascinating, but it went a little bit over-the-top at the end.

I have a theory that the Holly Hunter character is actually Rust Cohle's missing mom.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room
I want to get into Top of the Lake, but I'm really dumb and can't see Elisabeth Moss as anyone other than Peggy Olsen.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Who ever thought that Zooey Bartlett would go into show business.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Retail Slave posted:

I just discovered Jericho. I love this show.
The final episode was the biggest buildup for the next season that never came. We got a motherfucking tank!!!

syscall girl posted:

Yeah pretty much every one of those things was the second movie, except for your tacky Steve Irwin joke.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

coyo7e posted:

The final episode was the biggest buildup for the next season that never came. We got a motherfucking tank!!!

Boy do I have some good news for you...

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Opopanax posted:

Oh nice! The only thing I can remember from the first season was that it was really good, and that gaining that thing was the most awesome poo poo ever at the time. ;)

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Opopanax posted:

What's the good news? The comic or is there something even better happening?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Kaizoku posted:

What's the good news? The comic or is there something even better happening?

They made a season 2