Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Sharkopath posted:

Strangelove in game says she really just wanted a baby she could pass on her genes and the bosses will with and didn't give a drat who the dad was, so she just asked the person she was working with.

She never expected Huey would be as messed as he was or she probably would have been more selective.
im not saying anything about strangelove specifically but 'she's butch so she can't be bi' is a really hosed up world view, in general

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

This hand of mine shines and roars! It's bright cry tells me to grasp victory!

Strangelove wasn't just picking the first guy she saw though she definitely felt something for Huey by the end of Peace Walker.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Endorph posted:

im not saying anything about strangelove specifically but 'she's butch so she can't be bi' is a really hosed up world view, in general

Yah fair.

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

Maybe this was explained in tapes or something but why did Volgin only awaken when fake snake did?

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
Should i ask the other thread for an online listing for research requirements or some kind of list of neato things you're working towards at the end of the game? Seems kind of spoilerish.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc

Frankston posted:

Maybe this was explained in tapes or something but why did Volgin only awaken when fake snake did?

One of them said he wakes up at the same time as kid mantis' plane crash, which im pretty sure is way before snake or venom waking up.

But then again i feel like someone said Volgin woke up when snake did because his hate for snake is his demonic energy drink.

Sex Tragedy
Jan 28, 2007

father of three with an extra large butt
Venom isn't a random guy like many are saying, it's you. Meaning you killed yourself in MG1.

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

Intel&Sebastian posted:

But then again i feel like someone said Volgin woke up when snake did because his hate for snake is his demonic energy drink.

Yeah that's what I recall hearing at some point

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
They really shouldn't allow you to get a detailed listing of FOB defenses when deciding who to invade. I just pick on guys with 8-20 underpaid guards and 1 platform and go in hot with shotguns and rockets and "infiltrate" the core after I've killed all his men. I feel bad about it am ashamed of my words and deeds but I've tried invading my own FOB and better-prepared guards are a goddamn nightmare. It turns out those mortars I've obsessively stolen from every outpost under the sun get used by the guards, so the instant you're spotted some dickhole three platforms over is dropping mortars on your last known location constantly.

Intel&Sebastian posted:

I knew something had to be up when they first called him Venom Snake in previews. There's kind of a precedent with "old snake" having two snake names but it was still a tip off.
MGS4 is very clear about it at the beginning though, as they introduce him as "SOLID SNAKE" and then the S and I fade out. There's never any question that he's Solid. Ocelot's mission 1 intro is basically coy winking about Venom not actually being Big Boss with every line once you look at it from that frame of mind.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
Ah right, i knew it was a joke name put on him by his gay husband but i forgot it was actually connected to "solid" in the first place. Very damning.

And you know, ive come around on the cover of Man who sold the world they used. The original and the Nirvana versions aren't broody or dark or slow enough.

DasKuend
Jun 19, 2014

Supreme Rear Admiral of Star Citizen

ImpAtom posted:

Turns out that Hideo Kojima was never actually working on Metal Gear Solid V. It was instead a fake, a phantom Hideo, designed to attract attention from Konami and the fans and to uphold his legend while the real Hideo Kojima created his true game in secret.

OH GOD YES PLEASE

Strangelove asks Huey to get them up again at the end of Peace Walker, if we assume Huey is male that would classify her as male loving. Them being his legs but she flirts with him.

Also Strangelove touches a little girl (under age) and likes her.

DasKuend fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Sep 10, 2015

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

There's a tape you get after Liquid fucks off with his gundam where Ocelot posits that Liquid has latent psychic powers (it's really Mantis but they don't know it) and Venom is in complete disbelief over the existence of paranormal phenomenon.

It's like, were the COBRAS not part of the hypotherapy? Was Volgin being a human Pikachu forgotten?

DasKuend
Jun 19, 2014

Funky Valentine posted:

It's like, were the COBRAS not part of the hypotherapy? Was Volgin being a human Pikachu forgotten?
"All mission on record were part of the therapy", he's an exact copy.

So this could mean only missions where he learned his handywork were passed on but super secret mission not.

DasKuend fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Sep 10, 2015

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Of all the poo poo that got cut, why did no-one step in and say "Kojima, stop, the SKULLS are the loving anti-fun."

I'm up to Traitor's Caravan, and this is the dirt loving worst. Can't even just call in fire support to level them, because I have to rescue that loving truck.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

Funky Valentine posted:

There's a tape you get after Liquid fucks off with his gundam where Ocelot posits that Liquid has latent psychic powers (it's really Mantis but they don't know it) and Venom is in complete disbelief over the existence of paranormal phenomenon.

"There's a perfectly reasonable explanation for that time I had a near-death experience and saw literal ghosts," says the man who believes in Santa Claus.

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
It just means that big boss thinks men shooting bees and ghosts are completely natural things, but psychics are ridiculous.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Hijo Del Helmsley posted:

Of all the poo poo that got cut, why did no-one step in and say "Kojima, stop, the SKULLS are the loving anti-fun."

I'm up to Traitor's Caravan, and this is the dirt loving worst. Can't even just call in fire support to level them, because I have to rescue that loving truck.

Armor Skulls are vulnerable to rapid-fire weapons more than they are explosives because you have to chip off the armor before you can destroy their health bar. Try to use CQC to counter their machete attacks too, that leaves them motionless for a few seconds, use that to unload on them with an assault rifle or machine gun. Alternatively, take over one of the APCs, its heavy machine gun will DESTROY Armor Skulls.

I don't get much use out of it but I freaking LOVE that there's a CQC move that lets you snatch a guy's gun right out of his hands to either hold him up or shoot him. It came in REAL handy on a Subsistence mission.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
Yeah the trick to armor Skulls is don't bother with explosives, rapid-fire is the way to go. LMGs are a good way to fight them. If you're ballsy baiting a machete attack, CQC countering, and unloading the LMG into their upper body will destroy their armor (from the counter) and then melt their health. I think antimateriel sniper rifles can also penetrate their armor. Quiet's in particular is so potent that you can basically just kite them around while she pops them one by one. I haven't tried using my own but the Serval is capable of downing gunships and knocking down fences and lightposts so maybe so. It almost one-shots the sniper Skulls on normal Code Talker.

Extreme Skulls are not much fun though since they have almost triple the health and can just about one-shot you (or in the case of the snipers, do one-shot you).

Also for Traitor's Caravan what you can do is go into the fenced-in area near the truck, do not pick the lock on the gate nearest the truck, and crawl to within 15m of the truck behind the tarped fence to see the Skulls come out. Then crawl the hell away and call down Sleep Gas Fire Support on them 3-4 times. It's expensive but it will knock them out without them alerting, and they'll sort of shuffle into the locked gate and get stuck there because Skulls can't open locked doors like guards can. Don't try this on Extreme because they auto-alert at low Health/Stamina and don't drop a regular airstrike or you'll blow up the truck.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Nakar posted:

MGS4 is very clear about it at the beginning though, as they introduce him as "SOLID SNAKE" and then the S and I fade out. There's never any question that he's Solid. Ocelot's mission 1 intro is basically coy winking about Venom not actually being Big Boss with every line once you look at it from that frame of mind.

I like this for two reasons: it helps people who just want to play MGSV play it without worrying too much about the backstory, but it's also Ocelot going "Oh, yeah, you were Big Boss, you ran MSF, REMEMBER? Huh? REMEMBER?" Venom's mentally all, "Uh... yeah! Sure. That was me."

Machinegunboyo
Apr 26, 2010

life is good
At first I was disappointed in the twist but I've grown to like it. I especially like that venom isn't a clone or a significant character, but just the random rear end medic who boss trusted his life with. It makes his transformation into the legendary soldier, the villain and his downfall a bit more dramatic

Shitty Wizard
Jan 2, 2013

ASK ME WHY
I VOTED
FOR TRUMP
I just realized that co-op would have been extremely feasible considering how big FOB's can get with as well as the # of AI supported online.

Hell, it's not like the AI code would COMPLETELY break with multiple targets, considering buddies exist.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

I figured the twist was coming from the moment you typed in your name. I just knew Kojima was pulling another Raiden switcheroo on us.

Did it spoil it for me? Maybe, a bit...

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

lovely Wizard posted:

I just realized that co-op would have been extremely feasible considering how big FOB's can get with as well as the # of AI supported online.

Hell, it's not like the AI code would COMPLETELY break with multiple targets, considering buddies exist.

I suspect that a lot of that kind of thing didn't happen because of last-gen console limitations. The fox engine is magic but it's still absurd they got it running on PS3/360 at all, even if it is running like poo poo.

Speedball posted:

I figured the twist was coming from the moment you typed in your name. I just knew Kojima was pulling another Raiden switcheroo on us.

Did it spoil it for me? Maybe, a bit...

I think it was expected you'd guess it. The game isn't really subtle about it.

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013
Misunderstood tweet fav'd by dumb PR people or intentional?

Shitty Wizard
Jan 2, 2013

ASK ME WHY
I VOTED
FOR TRUMP

ImpAtom posted:

I suspect that a lot of that kind of thing didn't happen because of last-gen console limitations. The fox engine is magic but it's still absurd they got it running on PS3/360 at all, even if it is running like poo poo.

I'm hoping someone jury rigs even just free roam with co-op. People have modded co-op into games with zero netcode, and this is a pretty big title game with peer to peer multiplayer (FOB stuff) built in. Not holding my breath, but it seems like the tools are there to do it.

DasKuend
Jun 19, 2014

The skulls on extreme were super easy with explosives took a rocketlauncher with laser sight so you can move nonstop and take no time to aim. Is it maybe most people complaining about difficulty use controllers and not the mouse?

Also use Quite she did half the work for me to be honest.

Poniard
Apr 3, 2011

The hamburger tapes holy poo poo

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

I highly doubt the twitter reps that gave ten different answers on what time the game was even unlocking for launch are in on some the 9/11 DLC conspiracy. There are going to be a lot of disappointed people tomorrow.

Grizzled Patriarch fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Sep 11, 2015

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
In order to unlock the 9/11 DLC you have to fulton one of your pet goats to the GW AI core.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
Actually I think itd be funny as hell if we got a dlc mission tomorrow where Snake sneaks into Bin Ladens Afghanistan base.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

ImpAtom posted:

I'm playing on PS3, and I'm amazed at how not-poo poo the running actually is. It gets a little jittery if a bunch of explosions all go off at once or whatever, but unless I engineer scenarios where stuff like that happens, it's pretty drat solid.

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.
Ocelot like the rain too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=87YXRvfMDlM

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Hijo Del Helmsley posted:

I'm playing on PS3, and I'm amazed at how not-poo poo the running actually is. It gets a little jittery if a bunch of explosions all go off at once or whatever, but unless I engineer scenarios where stuff like that happens, it's pretty drat solid.

It runs at literally half the frame rate with massively reduced textures. It runs surprisingly well for what it is but way worse than on the PC/next-gen.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

This is what Ocelot saw in his dreams every night between 1964 and 2014.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

DasKuend posted:

The skulls on extreme were super easy with explosives took a rocketlauncher with laser sight so you can move nonstop and take no time to aim. Is it maybe most people complaining about difficulty use controllers and not the mouse?
Explosives work fine until they put the armor on (or after it gets removed) but I guarantee you that you were not easily chewing through them with a rocket launcher on Extreme. It was most likely Quiet doing the majority of the damage, rockets barely chip off any of the armor at all but Quiet's headshots can destroy the armor in 1-2 shots. The armor also seems to be instantly destroyed by the CQC counter.

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

As long as the times refuse to change, we're going to make a hell of a racket.

Nakar posted:

Explosives work fine until they put the armor on (or after it gets removed) but I guarantee you that you were not easily chewing through them with a rocket launcher on Extreme. It was most likely Quiet doing the majority of the damage, rockets barely chip off any of the armor at all but Quiet's headshots can destroy the armor in 1-2 shots. The armor also seems to be instantly destroyed by the CQC counter.

Which rifle was she using? Because I did the fight on extreme with a riot shotgun and a missile launcher. Anytime I saw Quiet land a hit it was doing a lot less than half a bar of damage.

Cnidaria
Apr 10, 2009

It's all politics, Mike.

This is canon.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

Full Battle Rattle posted:

Which rifle was she using? Because I did the fight on extreme with a riot shotgun and a missile launcher. Anytime I saw Quiet land a hit it was doing a lot less than half a bar of damage.
Sinful Butterfly, the antimateriel rifle. I think it's the penetration that causes it to deal abnormal damage, she actually killed two of the Skulls during the fight before I even realized they were down. But she can do it a lot faster if you assist her in chipping down the armor.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

When men become demons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Man, the game fell the hell apart in the third act. It seems they would have seen Mass Effect 3 and -not- follow its example.

• Locked thread