Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

loquacius posted:

Man, imagine if he really had stuck with the beta plan and made the entire comic a Flash animation. John would probably be gearing up to enter the Medium about now

It also would have spelled doom for its future considering recent rumblings

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Note to Self
Mar 21, 2012
And if he'd been smart enough to axe flash entirely, he'd probably have finished years ago.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Note to Self posted:

And if he'd been smart enough to axe flash entirely, he'd probably have finished years ago.

If my grandmother had wheels, she'd be a ... well, actually, a corpse with wheels.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...
Arguing for the removal of the flashes from Homestuck is like requesting the removal of Stephen Fry from QI.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Mmmmmm, QI.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Starting a new day -- is it better etiquette to edit a day-old post to add content, or to double-post?

Vriska is often very good at analysis; she's just terrible at finding solutions to problems. Back in 2011 she had a long chat with John.

Vriska posted:

AG: I think the game knows it's always gonna 8e played 8y kids, and it always rigs it so they enter right around the cusp of sexual maturity, whatever the race is.
AG: Which kinda makes sense, since if they succeed, they've got their whole lives ahead of them to do whatever the hell they're going to do in their universe, like start repopul8ing and whatnot.
AG: That means the game also knows it's got to deal with all these drat kids who are coming of age while playing it!
AG: I really think how successfully they mature is tied to success in the game. It challenges the players in all the ways they need to 8e challenged to grow, which is different for every individual, and veeeeeeeery different for every race.

Assuming she's basically right, which of the kids qualifies as matured since the beginning of the game? Unqualified yeses to Dave and Dirk, based on their conversations on LOTAK, and to John, ever since he took on responsibility after Terezi's F1X TH1S. Again judging by lilypad conversations, Roxy's done a lot of introspection and chosen to give up drinking. We have insufficient evidence on Jade, who's been asleep the whole time, and on Jane, who's been zapped since the meteor entered the new session.. I'd call Jake a clear "no", with Rose a probable no (see her temper tantrums about the various Rose-based sprites). Y'all's thoughts?

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Yeah, Rose is only now properly maturing and actually confronting her flaws. Jake is an interesting case since he's confronted his own flaws and in the face of them utterly folded.

I'd say Jane matured over their adventure, before all the other kids turned up and everything went to hell. She eventually learned to trust her friends and communicate with them, particularly with Roxy before they even entered and Dirk after the trickster thing.

Jade is harder to place because she never had a great deal of stand-out flaws to overcome. If there's anything I'd say she has never had ambition of her own - her whole life she's been led by the nose by Skaia, then various ghosts in the dream bubbles, then the Condesce (not really her fault there) and now Calliope. Jade needs to learn to want to do something for herself. Which she might be having to confront with whatever Calliope is leading her to.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Jade has grown more independent.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Tenebrais posted:

Jade is harder to place because she never had a great deal of stand-out flaws to overcome. If there's anything I'd say she has never had ambition of her own - her whole life she's been led by the nose by Skaia, then various ghosts in the dream bubbles, then the Condesce (not really her fault there) and now Calliope. Jade needs to learn to want to do something for herself. Which she might be having to confront with whatever Calliope is leading her to.
I just remembered -- the current Jade spent three years all alone on the battleship. That should have been a fair amount of time for introspection. Agreed that her decision with Calliope is going to lead to a big personal sacrifice, accompanied by change.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

Tenebrais posted:

Jade is literally now part dog, so you're probably on to something.

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!
Caliborn spent a lot of time and hard work improving his artistic abilities, even going so far as to experiment with claymation.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Ammat The Ankh posted:

Caliborn spent a lot of time and hard work improving his artistic abilities, even going so far as to experiment with claymation.

Caliborn has grown the most of all the characters, both in artistic skill and personal development.

Not sure what that means symbolically for the story, but it's true.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

I don't honestly think he's had much personal development. He's always been determined and brute-force-y. Hussie directly states he's emotionally and physically stunted and doomed to be that way.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Dude he got Riiiiiiiiiipppped!

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Bobulus posted:

I don't honestly think he's had much personal development. He's always been determined and brute-force-y. Hussie directly states he's emotionally and physically stunted and doomed to be that way.

He learned to use teamwork to work with the leprechauns to solve problems, and he now considers them friends when before he found the concept to friendship disgusting. Caliborn can adapt and change to get what he wants. he's tenacious and he'll always try brute force first, but if that doesn't work he'll try something else until he finds something that does.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

He learned to use teamwork to work with the leprechauns to solve problems, and he now considers them friends when before he found the concept to friendship disgusting.

sorry, nothing to do with the conversation, but I'm just kind of thinking about this sentence out of context and laughing

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

he'll always try brute force first, but if that doesn't work he'll try something else until he finds something that does.

Trying stuff until you find one that works is also a brute force approach.

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

hardest time i ever done :(
Both Rose and Roxy overcame debilitating teenage alcoholism so I have no idea where any uncertainty as to their gaining maturity and perspective would be coming from.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Rose needed Vriska to police her into giving up alcoholism, so I'm not sure she gets credit for that. In the non-Vriska timeline, she couldn't give it up alone.

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Rose needed Vriska to police her into giving up alcoholism, so I'm not sure she gets credit for that. In the non-Vriska timeline, she couldn't give it up alone.

Vriska may have provided the assist, but having dealt with alcoholism and teenage alcoholism especially in real life, I would never give full or even major credit to anyone but the individual overcoming addiction.

In this work of fiction about fake teenagers.

And anyway she gave equal credit to Kanaya's support as well.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

Arsenic Lupin posted:

I know you don't mean it like this, but that's kind of a crummy way of looking at things.

"Oh you couldn't bootstrap your way out of an addiction by yourself? What a failure".

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!
No one can do poo poo in this comic without Vriska

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Mazerunner posted:

I know you don't mean it like this, but that's kind of a crummy way of looking at things.

"Oh you couldn't bootstrap your way out of an addiction by yourself? What a failure".
I'm sorry, I genuinely was talking about fictional teenagers. I don't think living, breathing people should be scolded or shamed or judged about how they deal with their disorders. I was looking at it as an A/B test: (Rose + Kanaya can't give up alcoholism) vs. (Rose + Terezi + Kanaya can give up alcoholism). Real human beings never get a chance to do an A/B test. (Can I rerun the last 7 years? Ta ever so.)

Leaving aside the alcoholism, Rose completely loses it when confronted with all the Rose-based sprites. Dave had issues with his, but didn't throw himself to the floor with a pillow over his head; same with Jade and hers. Rose also violently resists doing her quest, even though Dave, John, and Jade demonstrably made the universe better with theirs.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Ammat The Ankh posted:

No one can do poo poo in this comic without Vriska

John can certainly punch Vriska in the face without Vriska.

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Leaving aside the alcoholism, Rose completely loses it when confronted with all the Rose-based sprites. Dave had issues with his, but didn't throw himself to the floor with a pillow over his head; same with Jade and hers. Rose also violently resists doing her quest, even though Dave, John, and Jade demonstrably made the universe better with theirs.

Jade did this with her sprite. She only managed to get over this hang up when the two stopped being separate entities.

Edit: Also, Dave hasn't really done much of his quest. As he put it, all he did was swindle the nakadiles out of their boondollars via the stock exchange, and then hop around the timeline doing busywork for Rose and Jade. Davesprite did more of Dave's quest, but didn't get as far as stoking the forge; that's still left to be done.

Plom Bar fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Sep 10, 2015

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Rose's main problems vis a vis her problems with authority and self-identity remain unresolved. It's not that she hasn't matured at all, but she's not really a functioning adult yet. Or rather, she's not as close to it as some of the other characters around her.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Burkion posted:

John can certainly punch Vriska in the face without Vriska.

It is impossible to punch Vriska in the face without Vriska, actually.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Plom Bar posted:

Jade did this with her sprite. She only managed to get over this hang up when the two stopped being separate entities.

Edit: Also, Dave hasn't really done much of his quest. As he put it, all he did was swindle the nakadiles out of their boondollars via the stock exchange, and then hop around the timeline doing busywork for Rose and Jade. Davesprite did more of Dave's quest, but didn't get as far as stoking the forge; that's still left to be done.

I'm still going to say trying to slap your sprite into shape at 13 beats lying on the floor with a pillow on your head at 16. Of course, then there's the extreme adultness of a 16-year-old saying

Dave posted:

DAVE: jade this is STUPID
DAVE: my quest is a STUPID PIECE OF GARBAGE QUEST for LAME lovely LOSER FUCKHEADS WHO SUCK BALLS WHILE CRAPPING THEIR PANTS

Perhaps I should just say that the GAME OVER timeline showed nobody -- except Kanaya -- at his or her best. Post-GAME OVER we get this:

quote:

DAVE: what about your quest
ROSE: Hm?
DAVE: the poo poo with your planet and the rain and stuff
DAVE: wasnt there still something to do there
ROSE: I... guess so?
ROXY: yeah
ROXY: i did mine!
ROXY: or at least a version of it specific to my situation
ROXY: i get the feelin they change around and such depending on what the lay of the land is
ROXY: my reality was hosed so my denizen just kinda... rerouted me
ROXY: nothin too fancy
DAVE: yeah exactly
DAVE: i did this really stilted like mashup of what i assume my "real quest" was
DAVE: like involving breaking a sword and UNbreaking a sword and a fuckin BIRD was involved and then the bird unceremoniously DIED somewhere
DAVE: it was kind of a mess
DAVE: like me i guess so maybe that made sense
DAVE: who knows what yours would have in store for you now
DAVE: i mean
DAVE: if you even wanted to bother
ROSE: I'm not sure if I have the inclination, and realistically, there isn't even much time for that, is there?
ROSE: We're supposed to be fighting adversaries imminently.
ROSE: I can't squeeze it in before the battle.
ROSE: And after, we'll have supposedly "won", so what would even be the point of doing it then?
DAVE: shrug

So whatever Dave's quest was, he's done it, or at least thinks he has.

e: Or just this.

Tenebrais posted:

Rose's main problems vis a vis her problems with authority and self-identity remain unresolved. It's not that she hasn't matured at all, but she's not really a functioning adult yet. Or rather, she's not as close to it as some of the other characters around her.
Dave and Dirk and Roxy are thinking about the nature of what is a good person and what person do they want to be. Rose doesn't seem to be.

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

Arsenic Lupin posted:

I'm still going to say trying to slap your sprite into shape at 13 beats lying on the floor with a pillow on your head at 16.

More to the point, I feel, is that Jade never really "found peace" with the implications of her sprite self's existence and what that said about her role in everything. She talked about it with Karkat for a while with no resolution, and that was about it until they became the same person. And for all we know, this could actually still be a source of existential angst that simply hasn't been explored with the audience. Perhaps she and Davepetasprite still have words to mince with each other about it. I dunno.

I'm of the opinion that all the kids have grown in some significant and substantial way, if perhaps not always in the most productive way. Jake's the only one I would say has experienced negative growth, though I wouldn't pin that all on him either.

Note to Self
Mar 21, 2012
I saw someone on tumblr comment on someone else's witty own with something like,"oh my god this is so badass, you're like an irl karkat"

How does someone read this entire comic and come out the other end thinking Karkat Vantas is a badass? Don't get ke wrong, he's a fun character, but the only hater he's stunted on in his entire life has been himself. The boy is thoroughly owned!

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

Note to Self posted:

I saw someone on tumblr comment on someone else's witty own with something like,"oh my god this is so badass, you're like an irl karkat"

How does someone read this entire comic and come out the other end thinking Karkat Vantas is a badass? Don't get ke wrong, he's a fun character, but the only hater he's stunted on in his entire life has been himself. The boy is thoroughly owned!

Karkat is ready to throw himself into fights against literal gods to help his friends just because he's loyal to them and feels it's the right thing to do

pretty badass if you ask me

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Magres posted:

Karkat is ready to throw himself into fights against literal gods to help his friends just because he's loyal to them and feels it's the right thing to do

And then he got knocked unconscious before the battle even started.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Magres posted:

Karkat absolutely deserves the title hero, but he's not a badass. He himself admitted that Kanaya and Terezi are much more badass than he is, and Kanaya wouldn't have knocked him out if she thought he could take care of himself. Karkat and Dave are Knights, and are both all about sacrificing themselves for the good of the cause. So is Vriska, even though she's a Thief. Rose and Jake both sacrificed themselves in Game Over, but they haven't sought out the opportunity in the way the Knights and Vriska have *cough suicidal cough*.

Classtoise
Feb 11, 2008

THINKS CON-AIR WAS A GOOD MOVIE
Karkat is like the antithesis of a badass.

He's a great character, and I loving love the shouty little bastard, but he is in no way a "badass".

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Classtoise posted:

Karkat is like the antithesis of a badass.

Is that an assbad? Or a goodbutt?

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Cat Mattress posted:

Is that an assbad? Or a goodbutt?

Butt is a synonym, not an antonym. It's goodvagina. :pseudo:

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Plom Bar posted:

More to the point, I feel, is that Jade never really "found peace" with the implications of her sprite self's existence and what that said about her role in everything. She talked about it with Karkat for a while with no resolution, and that was about it until they became the same person. And for all we know, this could actually still be a source of existential angst that simply hasn't been explored with the audience. Perhaps she and Davepetasprite still have words to mince with each other about it. I dunno.

I'm of the opinion that all the kids have grown in some significant and substantial way, if perhaps not always in the most productive way. Jake's the only one I would say has experienced negative growth, though I wouldn't pin that all on him either.

I forget how the chain of events went, but didn't alpha jade merge with dogsprite jade when she died and god tiered?

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Karkat absolutely deserves the title hero, but he's not a badass. He himself admitted that Kanaya and Terezi are much more badass than he is, and Kanaya wouldn't have knocked him out if she thought he could take care of himself. Karkat and Dave are Knights, and are both all about sacrificing themselves for the good of the cause. So is Vriska, even though she's a Thief. Rose and Jake both sacrificed themselves in Game Over, but they haven't sought out the opportunity in the way the Knights and Vriska have *cough suicidal cough*.

Fair! I was conflating badass and heroic

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

pandaK posted:

I forget how the chain of events went, but didn't alpha jade merge with dogsprite jade when she died and god tiered?

Yes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Magres posted:

Fair! I was conflating badass and heroic

Don't blame yourself; blame the '90s.