Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Peanut President posted:

Europe isn't in the middle of a bloody war (for once) so there's not a lot of immigration to the US of A.

Yeah, only a slightly bloody one with over 2 million refugees...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

OddObserver posted:

Ukraine isn't europe.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Peanut President posted:

Ukraine isn't europe.

Well, your mental continent map would certainly be politically-loaded, all right.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

Peanut President posted:

Ukraine isn't europe.

It's not in the EU (yet), but it most certainly is in Europe.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Jaramin posted:

Ethnic and religion divisions in Europe.

Wait, Berbers are not a Semitic people.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Jaramin posted:

Ethnic and religion divisions in Europe.
I'm going to call some Irish 'Germanic Catholics' next time I'm out drinking, see how that goes.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

OddObserver posted:

Ukrainians have immigrated either to Russia, or to countries where there are invisible on account of a preexisting Ukr. diaspora.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

A Buttery Pastry posted:

European immigration to the US hasn't had much to do with wars I don't think?

Have you ever heard of a year called 1848? It and the reaction to it kept up a good flow of European immigrants for years, probably decades afterwards. By the late 1800s, of course, that wasn't nearly as much a motivating factor, but by then it wasn't Central European liberals and Irish escaping the famine moving here as much as it was Russian Jews fleeing pogroms and Italians fleeing the economic clusterfuck that was post-unificiation Southern Italy. In both mid-century and late-century immigration, even though outright war wasn't a major push factor, the places people were emigrating from were dealing with extreme amounts of repression, violence and upheaval.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Same in the earliest days of colonization when people came mostly from the parts of the HRE most affected by the 30 Year War.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

The inclusion of Puerto Rico in the map tickles my fancy. Also at work we have as gaggle of Puerto Ricans, 2 "natives" (myself included), 2 1st generation (one from NY and another from AK) and a 1st generation "Cuban Rican" (half cuban half Puerto Rican).

Its the most "diverse" group of Puerto Ricans I have seen in the Coast Guard.

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa

Mikl posted:

It's not in the EU (yet), but it most certainly is in Europe.

/pol/ disagrees

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Tree Goat posted:

/pol/ disagrees

lol at Scandinavians trying to claim Eurocredentials.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Tree Goat posted:

/pol/ disagrees

I'm the lack of Austria.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

computer parts posted:

I'm the lack of Austria.
But they already have Germany on that map?

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Tree Goat posted:

/pol/ disagrees

What's up with Finland, Switzerland, and Austria?

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

OddObserver posted:

Mongrel nations without enough integrity to maintain a decent level of ethnic purity.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

OddObserver posted:

Switzerland and Finland are filthy traitors for not being in the EU. Austria is the same for leaving NATO.

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa

OddObserver posted:

my guess is "no data"

Party In My Diapee
Jan 24, 2014

OddObserver posted:

terra incognita

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

steinrokkan posted:

Mongrel nations without enough integrity to maintain a decent level of ethnic purity.
Finland, with 89% of people there being Finnish.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

A Buttery Pastry posted:

European immigration to the US hasn't had much to do with wars I don't think?

Well Europe was at one bloody war or other for most of its existence. You might be forgiven for thinking that because it was the regular state of affairs.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

kalstrams posted:

Finland, with 89% of people there being Finnish.

Well, the Finns are half Mongolian or something.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

OddObserver posted:

Austria is gone to prevent the Turkish refugees from reaching Germany Europe, of course.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Mikl posted:

Switzerland and Finland are filthy traitors for not being in the EU. Austria is the same for leaving NATO.

...but Finland is in the EU...

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

DarkCrawler posted:

...but Finland is in the EU...

That's what these Russian sleeper agents want you to think.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
/pol/ is weird.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

steinrokkan posted:

lol at Scandinavians trying to claim Eurocredentials.
Who says Scandinavians made that map? :colbert:

DarkCrawler posted:

Well Europe was at one bloody war or other for most of its existence. You might be forgiven for thinking that because it was the regular state of affairs.
Sure, but Europe was relatively peaceful (in terms of warfare at least) in the 19th century and the early 20th, which is when the majority of the people who hosed off to the US went.

Ofaloaf posted:

Have you ever heard of a year called 1848? It and the reaction to it kept up a good flow of European immigrants for years, probably decades afterwards. By the late 1800s, of course, that wasn't nearly as much a motivating factor, but by then it wasn't Central European liberals and Irish escaping the famine moving here as much as it was Russian Jews fleeing pogroms and Italians fleeing the economic clusterfuck that was post-unificiation Southern Italy. In both mid-century and late-century immigration, even though outright war wasn't a major push factor, the places people were emigrating from were dealing with extreme amounts of repression, violence and upheaval.
So not war.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Ofaloaf posted:

People who left because of the 48 and 49 revolutions tended to be more educated and politically active than most, they weren't your average immigrants, most German immigrants were poorer, less well-educated farmers and Germans and Irish mostly left because of horrible economic conditions during and after the 1840s.

People shouldn't underestimate how much of a shithole somewhere like western Ireland or Southern Italy were for pretty much all of the 19th century. Escape was often simply a necessity for not starving to death.

Finally the Jewish story is interesting but all things considered they didn't make up a whole lot of the raw mass of immigrants. You had a fair few more people immigrating from Scandanavia which was one of the most peaceful places in the world at the time (though some German Danes left because of oppression in Germany).

khwarezm fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Sep 11, 2015

crabcakes66
May 24, 2012

by exmarx
:911:

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

khwarezm posted:

Finally the Jewish story is interesting but all things considered they didn't make up a whole lot of the raw mass of immigrants. You had a fair few more people immigrating from Scandanavia which was one of the most peaceful places in the world at the time (though some German Danes left because of oppression in Germany).
Yeah, Scandinavian immigration is pretty indicative of the economic situation in the three countries, with Swedes and Norwegians being much more likely to go than Danes, because their economies sucked real bad. Hell, some Swedes decided to stay by the time they reached the wild west of Copenhagen, even if it had originally just been a place to make enough money to get to the US. If I recall the numbers correctly, the majority of Danes that left for America were Danes in Germany escaping oppression, who upon arrival settled all over the place and generally integrated super fast into Anglo-American society, rather than congregate in Danish speaking communities. An approach which does make a certain kind of sense if they largely came from ethnically mixed areas where the line between Danish and German had been fluid for centuries before nationalism forced them to take sides.

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

I find it incredibly hard to believe that there was not a single Turkish, Greek, Egyptian, or Arabian victim of 9/11. Hell in NYC of all places I'd be astounded if you could pick out ~2.5k people at random without filling out most of a map from their backgrounds.

Peggotty
May 9, 2014

It's about citizenship not background

Ponsonby Britt
Mar 13, 2006
I think you mean, why is there silverware in the pancake drawer? Wassup?
As we all know, the Pentagon has long been infiltrated by reptilians, some of whom died on 9/11. Yet the map does not include the lower fourth dimension. Clearly a conspiracy theory, to make us think that the reptilians are clever and powerful enough to protect their agents from harm. Don't believe the hype! They were just as blindsided as we were.

A map of their infiltration point, which you will notice also does not appear on the official version of that blue-and-red one.

Ponsonby Britt fucked around with this message at 08:53 on Sep 11, 2015

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

khwarezm posted:

People shouldn't underestimate how much of a shithole somewhere like western Ireland or Southern Italy were for pretty much all of the 19th century. Escape was often simply a necessity for not starving to death.

Ireland has one of the fastest growing populations in Europe, and it is still almost 2 million lower than the pre-famine population. That's how extensive the famine was- I'm hard pressed to think of many other areas that had higher populations in the 19th century than in the 20th or 21st.

Honj Steak
May 31, 2013

Hi there.

Kavak posted:

Ireland has one of the fastest growing populations in Europe, and it is still almost 2 million lower than the pre-famine population. That's how extensive the famine was- I'm hard pressed to think of many other areas that had higher populations in the 19th century than in the 20th or 21st.

Tbf there are almost two million people in Northern Ireland, so the population is actually almost the same as in the 19th century.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Honj Steak posted:

Tbf there are almost two million people in Northern Ireland, so the population is actually almost the same as in the 19th century.

Population was over 8 million pre-Famine. Current population is about 6.3 million including the north.

Honj Steak
May 31, 2013

Hi there.

Kavak posted:

Population was over 8 million pre-Famine. Current population is about 6.3 million including the north.

Wikipedia says it was only "over 6.5 million" in 1841. :shrug:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Irish_population_analysis

edit: ah only "the 26 counties which would later form the Republic". Sorry, my bad.

Honj Steak fucked around with this message at 11:13 on Sep 11, 2015

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Kavak posted:

I think its actually one of the only countries on Earth that has a lower population now than it did in the mid nineteenth century.

and it wasn't just the famine, Ireland kept up a rate of emigration far higher than its population could support up until the 1950s, the population was continually sliding downwards, look:

At least somewhere like Germany or Italy tended to be able to replace its immigrants with strong population growth at home, not in Ireland, even given our reputation for fecundity.

khwarezm fucked around with this message at 15:03 on Sep 11, 2015

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

khwarezm posted:

I think its actually one of the only countries on Earth that has a lower population now than it did in the mid nineteenth century.

That's pretty interesting actually. I can't even think of any other candidates for that. Maybe some tiny Pacific islands?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

khwarezm posted:

and it wasn't just the famine, Ireland kept up a rate of emigration far higher than its population could support up until the 1950s, the population was continually sliding downwards, look:

At least somewhere like Germany or Italy tended to be able to replace its immigrants with strong population growth at home, not in Ireland, even given our reputation for fecundity.

What are the others?