Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
lornekates
Oct 3, 2014

Web Developer for phelous.com dot com.

KKall posted:

Summer of Shakespeare is finally, FINALLY done.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=judjEmaTJAs

Yay! Will watch when I get home.

Somehow I completely missed the release of SoS: Klingon Hamlet Part 2: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MEPUEVMCmeY

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

I must know your secrets.

KKall posted:

Having just recently seen Henry IV Part 1, I can totally see how some things fit that way better than Hamlet. Great video!

Cyron
Mar 10, 2014

by zen death robot

Arcsquad12 posted:

Moviebob takes on Shyamalamadingdon with a review of The Visit
It's exactly what you'd expect from nu falling patreon numbers double down on the whining Moviebob.

Conserdring this is a guy who made a video for calling out the people who idenafy with nerd culture, I find it funny that a few months latter his videos are him crying about his precious childhood.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D

KKall posted:

Great work as always, especially near the end where you show all the sayings that have melded themselves into our everyday lingo, it's wonderfully fascinating.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
What was the theme of this year's Shakespeare Month/Season? Last year I think it was something like how the director presents Shakespeare's writing to the audience.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Arcsquad12 posted:

It's exactly what you'd expect from nu falling patreon numbers double down on the whining Moviebob.

M. Night Shyamalan is a brilliant man, because he was able to get away with pretending his middle name is actually "Night" because he knew racist idiots would be too busy making fun of his last name.

Junior Jr.
Oct 4, 2014

by sebmojo
Buglord

Arcsquad12 posted:

I saw The Visit a few days ago and it was more of a meh film rather than terrible. It had some nice moments like when the grandmother was getting emotional in one scene...but then they gently caress it up by going in a completely different route with the grandparents. I guess ever since I watched The Sixth Sense I kept looking for a lot of details in this film that would explain the twist, for a moment I thought one or two characters other than the grandparents were acting suspicious...but I was wrong. As for The Visit supposed to be a 'horror film', I thought it was more stupid and funny than scary...especially the bit when the fake granddad said he never liked the brother just before making him eat his poo poo...It was kind of funny how he acted like a dick to that kid.

But anyways, Moviebob really goes out of his way to say every "bad" movie has to be the unholiest ungodly piece of poo poo to ever exist. I've already seen him do this with Pixels like he thinks he's doing good for the people but he isn't.

Also, "ERR-ve Boll?" How do you gently caress up saying his name?

Thunderfinger
Jan 15, 2011

Mraagvpeine posted:

What was the theme of this year's Shakespeare Month/Season? Last year I think it was something like how the director presents Shakespeare's writing to the audience.

I think it is Shakespeare by way of the cultures of various countries. Also Klingon.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Junior Jr. posted:

I saw The Visit a few days ago and it was more of a meh film rather than terrible. It had some nice moments like when the grandmother was getting emotional in one scene...but then they gently caress it up by going in a completely different route with the grandparents. I guess ever since I watched The Sixth Sense I kept looking for a lot of details in this film that would explain the twist, for a moment I thought one or two characters other than the grandparents were acting suspicious...but I was wrong. As for The Visit supposed to be a 'horror film', I thought it was more stupid and funny than scary...especially the bit when the fake granddad said he never liked the brother just before making him eat his poo poo...It was kind of funny how he acted like a dick to that kid.

But anyways, Moviebob really goes out of his way to say every "bad" movie has to be the unholiest ungodly piece of poo poo to ever exist. I've already seen him do this with Pixels like he thinks he's doing good for the people but he isn't.

Also, "ERR-ve Boll?" How do you gently caress up saying his name?

Moneybob hates all that is not optimized by executives for Content Consumption

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
Also stop going to Shyamalan movies looking for a twist, he did that in like, three movies out of the ten or whatever he's made, it's like watching Bad Boys 2 and wondering when the Decepticons are going to show up.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
Having not seen The Visit, Pixels, Terminator Gen, or Fantastic 4, I'm still inclined to give a pass on MovieBob's whining in those reviews at least. There have been very few positive opinions of those movies to begin with. And we're talking about M. Night Shyamalan here in his latest review; whose continuing ability to put out a new film only makes me more annoyed for every wannabe filmmaker who wished they could have his job. My main complaint about the Visit review is his one positive line about the Wachowskis, who I think have also outlasted their 1999 goodwill a long time ago.

I rather see Movie Bob double down on his manchild nerdrage than simply go through the cycle of drumming up nerdrage, then yell at his audience for taking that nerdrage too far. Maybe it's just me. I kind of think Really That Good was his attempt to check his own negativity, but it's being spun here as him still whining about how great his childhood was.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
The Visit is not good but if you make a video going into near hysterics about how it's the absolute worst thing possible I legit don't even think you've seen the movie because I can't grasp how someone, even someone doing a bit, can muster that much emotion over The Visit. It'd be like a food blogger screaming to high heaven that grey mash gruel was the absolute worst food ever made. He's not wrong that that food sucks, but holy poo poo how can you expect me to believe you genuinely give a poo poo about such a non-product.

Echo Chamber posted:

Having not seen The Visit, Pixels, Terminator Gen, or Fantastic 4, I'm still inclined to give a pass on MovieBob's whining in those reviews at least. There have been very few positive opinions of those movies to begin with. And we're talking about M. Night Shyamalan here in his latest review; whose continuing ability to put out a new film only makes me more annoyed for every wannabe filmmaker who wished they could have his job. My main complaint about the Visit review is his one positive line about the Wachowskis, who I think have also outlasted their 1999 goodwill a long time ago.

I rather see Movie Bob double down on his manchild nerdrage than simply go through the cycle of drumming up nerdrage, then yell at his audience for taking that nerdrage too far. Maybe it's just me. I kind of think Really That Good was his attempt to check his own negativity, but it's being spun here as him still whining about how great his childhood was.

Haha

Infamous Sphere
Nov 8, 2010
Blargh oh my god yes, I have read fanfiction, in a way it's a guilty pleasure/so bad it's good thing. I can't read trashy romance though. Fanfiction..oh god..some of the anatomical limitations are..well..let's just say these women don't very much und

KKall posted:

Hooray! I'm looking forward to watching this one, this has been a great summer of Shakespeare :)

Would you ever consider talking about My Own Private Idaho for one of these? I did an analysis of it ages ago, but it was mostly about it being a queer movie and a road movie. I know that the Henry IV stuff in it (can't remember if it's Henry IV or Henry V, I'm a clankhead who never studied any Shakespeare) doesn't take up much of the film, but it would be interesting to see the film analysed from a Shakespearean perspective. Probably more Shakespearey than A Midsummer Night's Cream, at any rate,.

JB50
Feb 13, 2008

The Vosgian Beast posted:

Also stop going to Shyamalan movies looking for a twist, he did that in like, three movies out of the ten or whatever he's made, it's like watching Bad Boys 2 and wondering when the Decepticons are going to show up.

Looking at his IMDB about 7 out of 10 of the movies hes produced have had twists.

Its kinda his thing.

Im not sure about Lady in the Water did that have a twist?

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

JB50 posted:

Looking at his IMDB about 7 out of 10 of the movies hes produced have had twists.

Its kinda his thing.

No

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

JB50 posted:

Its kinda his thing.

Yea the twist was you paid money to watch a man jerk off in your face for two hours instead of a movie

JB50
Feb 13, 2008

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Yea the twist was you paid money to watch a man jerk off in your face for two hours instead of a movie

Ya I heard it was bad.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
It made me long for The Village

Moatman
Mar 21, 2014

Because the goof is all mine.

JB50 posted:

Its kinda his thing.

The twist was one of the archetypal characters was actually a different archetype.
I think. Haven't seen it in years.

Tatum Girlparts posted:

But this one's better

CaligulaKangaroo
Jul 26, 2012

MAY YOUR HALLOWEEN BE AS STUPID AS MY LIFE IS

Cyron posted:

Conserdring this is a guy who made a video for calling out the people who idenafy with nerd culture, I find it funny that a few months latter his videos are him crying about his precious childhood.

This is the same guy who made a video claiming He can't enjoy any Spider-Man media what-so-ever now, just because he didn't like the last couple Spider-Man movies. And to be honest, I'm not even sure why he didn't like the first Amazng Spider-Man. The only specific gripe I can remember from his review were the web shooters having muzzle flares. And I think that was the second video he made, because his first video was just a bunch of general "this is stupid and I hate its."

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Tatum Girlparts posted:

It'd be like a food blogger screaming to high heaven that grey mash gruel was the absolute worst food ever made.

"Hey! You call this slop? Real slop has got chunks of things in it! This is more like gruel! And this Château le Blanc '68 is supposed to be served slightly chilled! This is room temperature! What do you think we are? Animals?"

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

KKall beat me to finishing a Summer of [Series] by one day.

Tomorrow I'm going to be hosting Bad Reviews Live from noon EST until midnight (with a 30 minute break at 3pm), when I'll premiere the final episode of the Sonichu review. It's been a wild loving ride, and I'm glad it's over, but I don't really regret doing it in the end. So tune in if you want to watch me get shitfaced over the course of 12 hours.

Jay O
Oct 9, 2012

being a zombie's not so bad
once you get used to it

icantfindaname posted:

Hey Jay O, I don't see anyone else ITT discussing the ANNCast, but I'd like to put in my request that you do FLCL for an episode. If it's not long enough maybe do an episode on Gainax in general, and cover a bunch of their shows at once?

We considered FLCL, but much like Evangelion or Miyazaki movies, it's been talked to death, and unlike the former subjects, there's...not much to say? It's all style with a strong but extremely straightforward core of substance. It's like an animated series of 90's alt comics about a young boy entering sexual maturity and taking control of his own life and eh. As for doing a show on Gainax in general, that would be a lot of material to sit through. So we'll probably just stick to individual series discussions.

Incidentally, we just put out a podcast about Code Geass! And it turns out that the show has ardent, aggressive fanatics even in the year of our lord 2015! We got a lot of salt for this one, and I thought we were pretty kind to it! (Okay, Zac wasn't kind to the second half of it, but me and our guest were pretty chill.) That wasn't good enough for the TAKE CODE GEASS SERIOUSLY crowd though. Yikes.

Cyron
Mar 10, 2014

by zen death robot

Jay O posted:

We considered FLCL, but much like Evangelion or Miyazaki movies, it's been talked to death, and unlike the former subjects, there's...not much to say? It's all style with a strong but extremely straightforward core of substance. It's like an animated series of 90's alt comics about a young boy entering sexual maturity and taking control of his own life and eh. As for doing a show on Gainax in general, that would be a lot of material to sit through. So we'll probably just stick to individual series discussions.

Incidentally, we just put out a podcast about Code Geass! And it turns out that the show has ardent, aggressive fanatics even in the year of our lord 2015! We got a lot of salt for this one, and I thought we were pretty kind to it! (Okay, Zac wasn't kind to the second half of it, but me and our guest were pretty chill.) That wasn't good enough for the TAKE CODE GEASS SERIOUSLY crowd though. Yikes.

I am still shocked people are still defending Code Geauss. I never finish the first season, it not even that good in retrospect, I find everyone unlikable.

Cyron fucked around with this message at 07:15 on Sep 11, 2015

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012
Why would you be surprised at that? It's a pretty decent series. The second half is pretty dumb but there's nothing bad about the series overall and it has alot of enjoyable aspects.

Like everything that's popular, it draws out fanatics that will crucify you for calling it anything less than perfect but the show isn't bad by any stretch of the imagination.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Jay O posted:

In the world of fandom, indifference is every bit as bad as outright trashing a show. If you're meh to something then you just clearly did not get it and did not give it a chance.

Jay O
Oct 9, 2012

being a zombie's not so bad
once you get used to it
Well, the oddly virulent response to our "meh" reaction did result in some truly bizarre hate mail.

The rest of the hate-mail was less funny. But yeah, lotta Code Geass fans are a mess. Who knew?

And yes, neither of us even has a British surname, let alone any British heritage.

Spark That Bled
Jan 29, 2010

Hungry for responsibility. Horny for teamwork.

And ready to
BUST A NUT
up in this job!

Skills include:
EIGHT-FOOT VERTICAL LEAP
I don't think the Empire of Britannia can even be thought of as the same as Britain...

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Spark That Bled posted:

I don't think the Empire of Britannia can even be thought of as the same as Britain...

I dunno, both are pretty terrified of having Charles at the top :rimshot:.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

Jay O posted:

Well, the oddly virulent response to our "meh" reaction did result in some truly bizarre hate mail.

The rest of the hate-mail was less funny. But yeah, lotta Code Geass fans are a mess. Who knew?

And yes, neither of us even has a British surname, let alone any British heritage.

Isn't Chapman ultimately an English name of some derivation?

I mean, they're still insane. I just like name etymologies.

E: But, I mean, the handle ANNZac is dangerously close to ANZAC so still ultimately filthy Brittanian sympathizers no matter what.

Linear Zoetrope fucked around with this message at 11:22 on Sep 11, 2015

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

I take it that it's not a show that's worth watching. I've been putting off listening to that podcast episode for spoilers since there was an off chance that I might consider watching it one day but I'll probably just go ahead and listen to it.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

watho posted:

I take it that it's not a show that's worth watching. I've been putting off listening to that podcast episode for spoilers since there was an off chance that I might consider watching it one day but I'll probably just go ahead and listen to it.

It's a fairly mediocre robot show that's trying to be Gundam in a lot of areas. The first season is okay, but the second is a giant wet fart.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Mokinokaro posted:

It's a fairly mediocre robot show that's trying to be Gundam in a lot of areas. The first season is okay, but the second is a giant wet fart.

It's a lot more campy and theatrical than (most) Gundam, though, for good and bad.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
Or you could just forget that dumb robot show and watch Eureka Seven.

Disclaimer: Eureka Seven frequently forgets it's a robot show (and is better for it). And has that dumb, unnecessary, shounen as hell "limit of questions" plot. Which I guess was technically the main plot.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Code Geass wasn't bad or anything, but would it have gotten as much attention as it did without all the CLAMP designs?

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Jay O posted:

In the world we live in today, someone whose idea of a threat is quoting someone on Reddit is kind of refreshing. This man is a hero, and I support him.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Jay O posted:

Yeah, that's true. For my own piece of nerd whining I did take issue with Zac saying FLCL wasn't really anime or whatever in the Code Geass podcast. No, it's anime as poo poo, and saying it's not is basically GBS territory where people will say "it can't be anime because I like it / it's good :smugdog:" w/r/t literally every good piece of media from Japan

icantfindaname fucked around with this message at 13:10 on Sep 11, 2015

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Darth Walrus posted:

It's a lot more campy and theatrical than (most) Gundam, though, for good and bad.

If you want to watch a robot anime then just loving watch G Gundam,

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Code Geass is a dumb show with pretty fight scenes and ludicrously short skirts. Of course there is a group of fanatics defending it to the death.

In a bit of disappointing news, SF Debris "new" show he promised for September 10th is actually just a rerelease of his Foundation Trilogy videos. I guess his voyage to screenwave isn't yet complete.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 13:23 on Sep 11, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Testekill posted:

If you want to watch a robot anime then just loving watch G Gundam,

Truth.

Eureka Seven is also quite good.

• Locked thread