Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

preface all my posts with this
I had to get my Note 5 replaced today because of terrible spotty cellular connection issues. Had never had that happen before, and it was driving me absolutely insane, but after getting it taken care of it wasn't that big of a deal.

Overall I'm really enjoying the Note though. I saw a bunch of LG phones, such as the G4 and one of those curved flexes, and I just hate the way those look and feel. That leather on the back of the G4 felt awful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Don Lapre posted:

Yes. thats exactly why ambient mode on amoled android wear watches are all black. Black means no power at all to the pixel

I think there's something about a dark blue color that is more efficient if the pixel has to be lit, but if it doesn't need to be lit then it ain't lit and it ain't drawing power.

Screen on this X Pure is gorgeous, though I needed to turn off "vibrant mode" since it was all oversaturated and lovely looking. I normally don't notice that type of thing because I'm a bit colorblind but this was just eye-searing saturation and contrast.

FAUXTON fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Sep 10, 2015

JAF07
Aug 6, 2007

:911:
First impressions of the Pure: It looks big, but when you pick it up it doesn't feel that way. Also, reviews were saying the phone didn't have NFC, but it certainly does. That was one of the few things making me lean more towards the Nexus 5X.

I bought the generic white front/bamboo back one from Amazon thinking I'd just send it back and get a customized one from Motorola, but now that I have it I kinda like it.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Huh, Droid Life says the Moto Maker X comes with a free clear bumper case.

http://www.droid-life.com/2015/09/10/moto-x-pure-edition-unboxing-and-tour/

JAF07
Aug 6, 2007

bull3964 posted:

Huh, Droid Life says the Moto Maker X comes with a free clear bumper case.

http://www.droid-life.com/2015/09/10/moto-x-pure-edition-unboxing-and-tour/

It does, but it feels pretty cheap. It's a harder plastic, and I feel like it won't provide much protection if the phone lands the wrong way. It also comes with the turbo charger (since I read somewhere that people weren't sure if it did or not).

Coming from a Nexus 5, the Motorola enhancements to Google are pretty fantastic. The power went out in my apartment this evening, and the flashlight "karate chop" came in handy. Though the light sensors to turn the screen on are way too sensitive for my liking...I feel like the screen is turning itself on whenever it shifts in my pocket.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Syrinxx posted:

Yeah looks like if you have Prime you get 1 day shipping and the Pure will arrive tomorrow. Just in time too because the CM12 nightlies for my G3 are getting worse and worse for stability. It'll be nice to run a nearly-stock device and not have to root or flash other roms to get rid of bloat.

There was a post a while ago that suggested that the turbo charger is an add-on.

The print from Amazon and from Moto's site seems to make it clear that this comes with the phone.

It's too bad you can't do customization from Amazon.

"d[-.- posted:

b" post="450006019"]
Alternatively, screen protectors are stupid and unnecessary. I haven't used one since I had an HTC Mogul with a plastic screen. There's seriously no point.

I've been good with my phone but still I've got a few scratches that I'd rather not have. poo poo will eventually happen no matter how careful a lot of people are.

JAF07
Aug 6, 2007

Doctor Butts posted:

There was a post a while ago that suggested that the turbo charger is an add-on.

The print from Amazon and from Moto's site seems to make it clear that this comes with the phone.

It does come with the phone.

Also, here's the Pure next to a Nexus 5 for size reference. That's the clear bumper that came with the phone.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Thanks for the pic, but it might be a bit better without the bumper.

Also for some reason I find it really funny that there is a reflection of someone taking a picture of two cellphones with their cellphone camera.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

The plastic bumper is the kind of mold plastic you sometimes find in packaging, where you need to snap the plastic bits off that you actually use.

Model airplanes and cars were my thing when I was a kid and this plastic feels just like the plastic that all those molded parts came stuck together on.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Whenever I get mine sometime next week, I'll be sure to snap a pic next to my spare X 2013 for maximum size hilarity.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

FAUXTON posted:

While I can't compare it to previous Moto X models, this is a really drat nice phone compared to my N5.

Also, I was able to keep my grandfathered 25GB plan with Cricket despite purchasing and activating a nano SIM. Popped the new SIM in and it fired right up.

25GB? The hell? How'd you get that?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

JAF07 posted:

It does come with the phone.

Also, here's the Pure next to a Nexus 5 for size reference. That's the clear bumper that came with the phone.

I hadn't realized that the Nexus 5 was getting outsized by so much.

Daily Forecast
Dec 25, 2008

by R. Guyovich

BottleKnight posted:

That leather on the back of the G4 felt awful.

I got the plastic. I don't care what LG says about it being premium cow leather or whatever: thin, small leather items made in China are almost always, always made of cat or dog skin. I don't like the idea of dead cat on my phone. :(

You can't use most cases with the leather anyway.

END OF AN ERROR
May 16, 2003

IT'S LEGO, not Legos. Heh

Daily Forecast posted:

I got the plastic. I don't care what LG says about it being premium cow leather or whatever: thin, small leather items made in China are almost always, always made of cat or dog skin. I don't like the idea of dead cat on my phone. :(

You can't use most cases with the leather anyway.

I had a leather G4 for about a week and the corners of the leather case were already showing wear. And the phone does nothing but go in and out of a pocket all day. Premium.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

LastInLine posted:

I hadn't realized that the Nexus 5 was getting outsized by so much.

4.95" vs 5.7" screen, I'm actually shocked how similar in size they look.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

ThermoPhysical posted:

25GB? The hell? How'd you get that?

I had a stroke. It's 20GB :suicide:

Wylie
Jun 27, 2005

Ever to conquer, never to yield.

JAF07 posted:

It does, but it feels pretty cheap. It's a harder plastic, and I feel like it won't provide much protection if the phone lands the wrong way. It also comes with the turbo charger (since I read somewhere that people weren't sure if it did or not).

Coming from a Nexus 5, the Motorola enhancements to Google are pretty fantastic. The power went out in my apartment this evening, and the flashlight "karate chop" came in handy. Though the light sensors to turn the screen on are way too sensitive for my liking...I feel like the screen is turning itself on whenever it shifts in my pocket.

Glad I'm getting my new X in a few days, because after 2 years of no cellphone-related trauma I just knocked my 2013 X off my desk and spiderwebbed the glass. Everything's still usable, but if I had to use this phone for more than a week more I'd go nuts.

Definitely going to invest in the insurance plan now, though.

And yeah, the stuff Motorola puts on top of stock Android are entirely the reason I love the X. It knows I'm driving, so it reads my text messages to me and I can reply without even looking at the phone.

Raised by Hamsters
Sep 16, 2007

and hopped up on bagels
Radio strength seems to be an afterthought in most reviews, but for those of you who are starting to get your Moto X Pure phones, any inclination if they are continuing Moto's reputation for decent radios and antennas?

Semi related, and this is more of an app thing but - Are there any apps that let you force radio selection on an android phone? IE, I want to tell my phone to use the 4G radio, I don't care what it thinks is more efficient, I don't care if it thinks it does not have a signal, I don't care what it will do to the battery. So sick of seeing "no service", flipping airplane mode on and off, and magically having all the 4G service I want.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Raised by Hamsters posted:

Radio strength seems to be an afterthought in most reviews, but for those of you who are starting to get your Moto X Pure phones, any inclination if they are continuing Moto's reputation for decent radios and antennas?

Semi related, and this is more of an app thing but - Are there any apps that let you force radio selection on an android phone? IE, I want to tell my phone to use the 4G radio, I don't care what it thinks is more efficient, I don't care if it thinks it does not have a signal, I don't care what it will do to the battery. So sick of seeing "no service", flipping airplane mode on and off, and magically having all the 4G service I want.

I haven't had any issues but I know where my N5 would start losing wifi signal along the back of my house so I'll see if my Moto X improves on that.

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."

Internet Explorer posted:

Never had a screen protector or a case on any of my Android phones since the Nexus S and never had a screen scratch or break. Treat your poo poo with care and you're good.

This is me I feel you.

I currently have an m8 and I dropped it last week putting a pretty rough dent in the bottom left corner of the phone.

I have friends who have grip tape and clearly it's a running joke on this board but I'm not quite sure where to buy it.

Does anyone have a recommendation? I've finally come to terms with it, my hands are too small for this phone :(

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

64bit_Dophins posted:

This is me I feel you.

I currently have an m8 and I dropped it last week putting a pretty rough dent in the bottom left corner of the phone.

I have friends who have grip tape and clearly it's a running joke on this board but I'm not quite sure where to buy it.

Does anyone have a recommendation? I've finally come to terms with it, my hands are too small for this phone :(

Get something like this so you can anchor your fingers on the back?

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B007O354AM

Not pretty, but functional.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

64bit_Dophins posted:

This is me I feel you.

Oh, hey. I'm the lamb that walked into that griptape slaughter. Just go to a skate/ski shop or something and ask for any scraps. They'll just give you some free or for a buck or two.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

wooger posted:

Update from the UK: Moto X Style still isn't available to order in the UK, Motorola are repeating all their previous errors in the European market and delaying their phones until everyone has forgotten about them (or at least until the new Nexus & iPhone are announced).

This despite holding the launch event in London.

Motorola literally went from 0% to overtaking microsoft at 3% of the uk market by launching the original moto G there. There must be a flub in the pipeline, they're serious about the uk\europe.

incoherent fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Sep 11, 2015

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

Knock on wood I guess -I've owned an HTC Aria, Motorola Atrix 2, HTC M7, and a 2nd gen Moto X and they all (I still have them) have perfect screens. Never had a screen protector on any of them.

The Aria is still alive after I bought it a new battery 16 months ago. It runs ICS and is just too adorable to get rid of. Right now it's an alarm clock. :3:

Mental Hospitality fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Sep 11, 2015

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Droid Washington posted:

Does the battery saving of an AMOLED display benefit from only black pixels,or dark pixels in general? Like a "dark theme" with a very dark grey background.

Yes, which is why the default light theme of 5.1 is loving dumb as heck

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

Hadlock posted:

Yes, which is why the default light theme of 5.1 is loving dumb as heck

The only thing turning me off from the new Moto X is the switch to an LCD. The blacks on the AMOLED on my '14X are so good. I mean, the screen just disappears into the frame. Kind of afraid at this point of ordering the new one and being disappointed in the display.

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

Is there a way to remove search history from the task switcher or whatever this square button menu is called.
On 5.1.1, nexus 5

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

If you are rooted, Chainfires Recently can do it

Without root I doubt it

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Raised by Hamsters posted:

Yes, this is in the service menu. Go to the dialer and type *#*#4636#*#* and it's under phone information.

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy

incoherent posted:

Motorola literally went from 0% to overtaking microsoft at 3% of the uk market by launching the original moto G there. There must be a flub in the pipeline, they're serious about the uk\europe.

Its still pretty annoying. I was pretty much waiting with money in my hand on the third and i'm still sitting here waiting.
I mean, yeah it hasn't even been two weeks and its not the end of the world that i'm not able to buy a phone, but come on Motorola, just take my money!

Raised by Hamsters
Sep 16, 2007

and hopped up on bagels

LastInLine posted:

Yes, this is in the service menu. Go to the dialer and type *#*#4636#*#* and it's under phone information.

I looked that up, and apparently can't do that without rooting (Verizon galaxy s5), but thanks.

END OF AN ERROR
May 16, 2003

IT'S LEGO, not Legos. Heh

Just got an invite for the OnePlus Two and totally don't have an extra $400 laying around :(

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe
It's OK you totally aren't missing out

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Just got an invite to punch myself in the face repeatedly for $400. Wish I had the cash!

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Tiny Lowtax posted:

Just got an invite for the OnePlus Two and totally don't have an extra $400 laying around :(

It's a lovely phone and you'll get laughed at.

Depths
Apr 15, 2009

SENPAI
Never settle for nothing except for trash like the garbage monster you are

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
I feel like my OPO is worth exactly the 320 or so I paid for it in 2014, certainly don't think the same would be true for the more expensive OPT in 2015.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
So does anyone have the Pure yet? How is it? Is the battery life good? What about antenna strength?

I'm on a Galaxy S4 that I rooted a billion years ago and haven't updated out of fear that Verizon will nuke my root but I'm thinking its finally time to upgrade so I can take advantage of my grandfathered unlimited plan.

Red Warrior
Jul 23, 2002
Is about to die!
Also does the camera in the Pure live up to the hype?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wylie
Jun 27, 2005

Ever to conquer, never to yield.

Just got my tracking number from Motorola- my Pure is allegedly on a plane somewhere over the Pacific right now. I should get it Monday, hopefully.