Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

OhYeah posted:

Ask him what would happen if he cut his "shopping allowance" for his girlfriends by half or even by two thirds. If he's worth 8 figures, he's probably spending a five figure sum per month.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

Fried Watermelon posted:

Everyone I know is getting a baby to save their marriages!

well it aint to save their bank-accounts

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

My wife turns 35 this month and we still haven't been interested in having babies. Watching others go through it is the most effective birth control.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Reverse Centaur posted:

My wife turns 35 this month and we still haven't been interested in having babies. Watching others go through it is the most effective birth control.

lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ojrcPR4KUXs

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Hey now, he's totally not quite as fat as that...

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Being single at 30 is what allowed me to career change and go back to school so late in life and take on such a tiny debt is what I keep telling myself

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

I'm 28 and I don't even know if I'm happy in a monogamous relationship, let alone marriage.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

THC posted:

I'm 28 and I don't even know if I'm happy in a monogamous relationship, let alone marriage.

Polyamory and tinder surfing seem to be the new thing now. If I had a nickel for every chick who claimed to be polyamorous I'd be rich about now.

Maybe the monogamous relationship as we know it is an outdated concept?

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

It's not, tons of people are in happy relationships, but I guess more people are doing casual dating now. I'm just weird and have depression.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011

THC posted:

It's not, tons of people are in happy relationships, but I guess more people are doing casual dating now. I'm just weird and have depression.

Fair enough- I just make a lot of poor choices when it comes to women. I don't wanna derail the topic but the stories I have about my exes are ridiculous. This one chick had a psychotic brother who shot and killed two horses and genitally mutilated one of them. He also made several attempts on her life when she was younger and she has an active restraining order on him. Everything ended when she threw me an ultimatum that I absolutely had to meet him if I wanted to continue dating her and she still loves him inspite of everything that's happened.

There's more to the story, that entire family is like the sopranos.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
Why don't you just marry a well-off, educated, grounded, kind, considerate and motivated woman like I did? She was the one that found me as well on okcupid.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

cowofwar posted:

Why don't you just marry a well-off, educated, grounded, kind, considerate and motivated woman like I did? She was the one that found me as well on okcupid.

Yeah seriously, I married a gorgeous vaguely ethnic Kitsilano babe with a great career and she treats me like gold. She pursued my clueless rear end, too. It's clearly very easy, everyone over 25 should have a hot wife here. And a condo and a car.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

My hard working Russian wife supports my model train hobby and let me get a 2 bedroom apartment so I could have a train room. Marriage is great, emotionally and financially. I have to go to Kiev next week though so there's a small price to pay. Although if it wasn't for the whole war and instability thing Kiev is a pretty cool place to visit.

Also my in-laws sold their Moscow condo for good money and sunk it into a new house outside of Kiev and now prices are of course garbage because of the war and economy and they realized owning a home is a huge pain in the rear end and they wish they had an apartment instead but selling now would be financial suicide. Pride of ownership :(

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

Rime posted:

Really? Everyone I know is just starting to get married one by one, or at least come out of the closet as "permanently together". My only close friend with a kid died two months after she was born this year. :(

Personally, being a stupid loving overgrown teenager and living a crazy life is far too much fun to trade for silly things like job security or long term prospects, so phooey on any girl that just wants to be boring anyways. :v:

How old are you?

Better question, how long have you been out of college or high school?

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011

Baronjutter posted:

My hard working Russian wife supports my model train hobby and let me get a 2 bedroom apartment so I could have a train room. Marriage is great, emotionally and financially. I have to go to Kiev next week though so there's a small price to pay. Although if it wasn't for the whole war and instability thing Kiev is a pretty cool place to visit.

Also my in-laws sold their Moscow condo for good money and sunk it into a new house outside of Kiev and now prices are of course garbage because of the war and economy and they realized owning a home is a huge pain in the rear end and they wish they had an apartment instead but selling now would be financial suicide. Pride of ownership :(

Did you just recently get married? Does your last name start with an M? Do you often show up at clubs spinning epic poi balls all over the place to techno and trance? Because I think I might know you.

Also congrats to the lot of you for finding decent partners.

Kraftwerk fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Sep 11, 2015

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

Kraftwerk posted:

Polyamory and tinder surfing seem to be the new thing now. If I had a nickel for every chick who claimed to be polyamorous I'd be rich about now.

Maybe the monogamous relationship as we know it is an outdated concept?

IME ones who swear up and down about monogamy and how crucial it is, are the ones who will end up having an affair and then a shotgun wedding after messily justifying it as still being monogamy.

Brannock posted:

How old are you?

Better question, how long have you been out of college or high school?

25, and about 7 years.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Kraftwerk posted:

Did you just recently get married? Does your last name start with an M? Do you often show up at clubs spinning epic poi balls all over the place to techno and trance? Because I think I might know you.

Also congrats to the lot of you for finding decent partners.

I don't know what half those words mean so sadly no, not me. This not-me dude sounds like he's having a lot of fun though!

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011

Baronjutter posted:

I don't know what half those words mean so sadly no, not me. This not-me dude sounds like he's having a lot of fun though!

He basically does this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iLMdnH8HtpI

Just better than what you see in the video and often with fire. His wife has this intense expression in most pictures almost like she's permanently pissed off.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
I thought weed cured depression????

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Reverse Centaur posted:

Yeah seriously, I married a gorgeous vaguely ethnic Kitsilano babe with a great career and she treats me like gold. She pursued my clueless rear end, too. It's clearly very easy, everyone over 25 should have a hot wife here. And a condo and a car.

Congrats on getting a dream waifu from the right upscale Vancouver neighborhood

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

which one was Kitsalano girl again?

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
Holy gently caress how am I supposed to know who you are now, JawKnee. :psyduck:

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
http://news.nationalpost.com/news/c...llar-phenomenon

quote:

How a Cape Breton game of Chase the Ace turned a charity fundraiser into a million-dollar phenomenon

Willena MacQuarrie called her grandchildren over to the front window of her home in Inverness, Cape Breton, and told them to look outside at all the people. People. Some were alone, though most were in groups, wandering up and down Central Avenue on the Friday night of Labour Day weekend, waiting.

They had come from all corners of Cape Breton and from as far away as Alberta, Halifax and New Brunswick. Most arrived by car. But a few came by boat, crossing the Northumberland Strait from PEI, tying up in Inverness harbour.

People are coming into town Friday nights and sleeping in their cars just so they can be up early to line up for tickets, MacQuarrie says. This whole thing has taken on a life of its own. It is crazy.

It is not your good old bingo game, as it might have been, back in the day, but a new lottery/fundraiser/cultural craze called Chase the Ace. A game of chance that has been transforming pretty Inverness, population 1500, into the biggest East Coast kitchen party ever every Saturday since summer began, as fortune seekers pursue a jackpot that started at $2000 and is expected to balloon to a million by the time of this weekends draw.

Willena MacQuarrie has been chasing the ace since last October, a simpler time, she admits, when the games organizing charities the local Royal Canadian Legion branch and a centre for adults with intellectual disabilities set out with the modest goal of raising about $20,000 each.

How does the game work? You buy a ticket. Get your ticket picked from a bin and you get a 20% cut of the weekly ticket sales, plus a chance to pick a card. Pick the ace of spades and you win the jackpot. Dont pick the ace, and 30% of ticket sales are added to the jackpot while the remaining 50% gets divided among the benefiting charities. Tickets are sold in bundles of 12 for $20. They come in four colours: yellow, green, orange and hot pink.

MacQuarries ticket was drawn in week three. She pocketed $35, but didnt draw the ace. (She spent her winnings on candy for the grandkids). Her card was then discarded and the game played on, and the jackpot got bigger, and bigger, and what began as a local fundraiser became a cultural phenomenon. Last weeks winner didnt draw the ace either, although they did pocket $136,000. Ten months worth of Saturdays later, and the ace is still out there with only seven cards left in the deck.

We never expected it to get to this, says Legion vice-president Cameron MacQuarrie, Willenas brother-in-law.

What he means is: he never imagined Inverness might achieve maximum ace.

In the early days, the Saturday draw was held at the Legion hall on Central Avenue. That is, until the crowds outgrew the venue, prompting organizers to offload the overflow of people to the local arena. But then the arena overflowed, and so the grandstand at the racetrack was opened to the public. For this Saturdays event a school gymnasium has been added to the list of gathering spots, as organizers anticipate the towns population will swell to 10,000.

Last week we sold 400,000 tickets, says Cameron MacQuarrie. We are looking at doubling that number this week. We are bracing ourselves.

Legion members have had meetings with the RCMP, paramedics, the Ministry of Transportation and the Nova Scotia Alcohol and Gaming department, addressing issues ranging from public safety to where to park the influx of cars. Seven hundred vehicles parked on the infield of the racetrack last Saturday for five bucks a pop, a tidy sum that speaks to a Chase the Ace ripple effect enriching local businesses. That includes one wee entrepreneur, whose lemonade stand is said to have netted her $250 in sales over a three-hour span.

Kelly Neil manages the Downstreet Coffee Company, just down the street from the Legion. She characterizes the Saturday scene as a carnival, a down-home Woodstock, infused by a kitchen party vibe. Cape Breton cousins, twice and thrice removed, and some fresh back from Albertas oil patch, can be found catching up on the towns clogged main street. Buskers busk. Barbecues smoke. Bands play at the arena. Even a pair of Jehovah Witnesses joined the fun on a recent Saturday, preaching a message of salvation.

Lets see this thing through to the end and bring as much money into the community as we can, Neil says.

But every story has two sides. And, on one side, Legion volunteers have been working like maniacs to manage Chase the Ace, missing out on a glorious Cape Breton summer.

There is some fatigue, Cameron MacQuarrie admits.

But there is money to be won, a pile of loot that grew too big for the local bank branch to comfortably handle, and has since been transported off-site by a security firm for safe-keeping.

So what happens when somebody actually does win? When that ace gets drawn and the carnival leaves town and Saturdays in Inverness go back to being Saturdays in Inverness?

What then?

What then? Willena MacQuarrie says, with a gentle laugh. Ill be at home on Saturdays babysitting the grandkids. Life will be back to being the same old thing.

Holy loving poo poo maritimers (or whatever the gently caress you call these morons) are loving dumb

Nuke the entire loving eastern seaboard to glass

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

Rime posted:

Holy gently caress how am I supposed to know who you are now, JawKnee. :psyduck:

I don't know, actually read user names?

Cultural Imperial posted:

Holy loving poo poo maritimers (or whatever the gently caress you call these morons) are loving dumb

Waiting on the reveal this is just the modern version of The Lottery.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
:goonsay: let's post about girls on a web forum, surely the babes will fall into our laps

That lottery sounds pretty convincing, 1/400k chance to go for 35% of weekly or the jackpot. It's better odds than lottomax and 6/49, which are revenue monsters due to people who are number challenged.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

Rime posted:

I have this handy picture under my name that will help you remember

that or my scathing wit

I should have changed my name to swagger like us, oh well, next time

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

It's like Syrian refugees walking to the netherlands

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

JawKnee posted:

which one was Kitsalano girl again?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mXQCABue8y8

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

I thought weed cured depression????

No, Prozac does. Weed cures boredom.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

She completely fits that stereotype, too. Six hours of gym per week.

Although Starbucks is apparently pass now. It's all about David's Tea.

Rick Rickshaw
Feb 21, 2007

I am not disappointed I lost the PGA Championship. Nope, I am not.

Yep. Throwing all of their limited money into undeserved pockets (well, aside from the charities, I guess) can't cause problems.

Burning gas, wasting time, and no doubt causing a few extra fender benders all the while. What a god drat net-negative for the whole community. It's sad that this is probably the only thing to come along in years that actually causes the community to spend some time together.

TerminalSaint
Apr 21, 2007

Where must we go...

we who wander this Wasteland in search of our better selves?
Lol, heard on the radio that 20% of Red Deer residents are spending 50% or more of their gross income on housing.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.
When various financial people sagely quote that you shouldn't spend more than X% of your income on housing, where X is typically 30, they're all seemingly unanimous in the correctness of this figure, but never specify whether they mean gross or net - and it makes a rather large difference. Which is it?

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
I would assume net, because budgeting based on gross is dumb?

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

Rime posted:

I would assume net, because budgeting based on gross is dumb?

I agree; however, to a first approximation no one can even tell you what their net annual salary is without breaking out a calculator.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I know roughly how much I make per pay day, beyond that no idea. I think that's pretty normal for most hourly workers. For me it works out to about 23k a year, I guess this is net? It's the money I actually get paid and take home to pay rent and such.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate
If you make 60K+ a year you can afford to live by yourself. You just have to learn now to budget yourself well, maybe don't take 6k in vacations a year and you'll be fine.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
Wouldn't most people know their monthly net income? I mean bank statements display this prominently, and as a rough guess you could add two bi weekly paystubs pretty handily.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

sbaldrick posted:

If you make 60K+ a year you can afford to live by yourself. You just have to learn now to budget yourself well, maybe don't take 6k in vacations a year and you'll be fine.

This varies a lot based on where you are and you just can't make generalizations like this. If you work in the middle of San Francisco, no you can't live on your own on $60k.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Twerk from Home posted:

This varies a lot based on where you are and you just can't make generalizations like this. If you work in the middle of San Francisco, no you can't live on your own on $60k.

San Francisco isn't part of Canada. You can easily live on $60k in Vancouver, which means you can do it anywhere in Canada.