Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Kitchner posted:

That's what Wesley was doing with that child molester uhhh I mean ascended being.

Oh, I think you know. Deep down, you've always known.

:aatrek:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

A dumb racist who need to kill themselves

Kitchner posted:

I liked how Picard was sad to see O'Brien go and stuff in that deleted scene and then he telecoms him off the ship as a sign of respect.

:lol: that was a poo poo scene. "Oh, your favorite transporter room!"

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

My Q-Face posted:

"You have the Number One. I'm just off to my favorite toilet."
"Deck 37, Aft Bathroom Stalls, stall 4?"
"That's the one."
*Five minutes later*
"drat IT WORF, WHAT DID YOU EAT!".
fffffffaaaaaaaaaaart"K'pla!"

I'm Crap
Aug 15, 2001

Melchior posted:

this kind of makes me wonder if he was actually acting during his tenure on DS9 or just kind of wandered onto the set
they had to change the recipe of the kanar stuff because he was having to drink so much of it that he started "acting strange"

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

I'm Crap posted:

they had to change the recipe of the kanar stuff because he was having to drink so much of it that he started "acting strange"

Should have just tinted some actual alcohol green or whatever and ran with it.

Ambrose Burnside
Aug 30, 2007

pensive

My Q-Face posted:

its a good scene b/c it's awkward and tacitly insulting to the chief and betrays how picard has failed to form meaningful relationships w/ the noncom workin joes on the enterprise. oh, chief, youre leaving. sweet transporter room, i'm pretty sure you worked in here, right. you must love it here. the room you never get to leave b/c you just push the button to make the thing go.

Tujague
May 8, 2007

by LadyAmbien
Congratulations on your promotion, Mr. O'Brien! It's a shame you had to leave my ship in order for a chance at advancement, but you know how the best people in starfleet are always fighting for a spot on the Enterprise.

Anyway... Hey, isn't that your favorite mop over there? Yep, whenever some sticky poo poo got on the floor, you were always there with old Mop Number Three, ready to clean it up in the blink of an eye. Lot of good times you had with that mop. Hey, why don't you let me scrub the floor in front of you just once before you go? Ha, ha! I bet you never thought you'd see me pushing around Mop Number Three! Do you hold it like this? Or like this?

No? Okay, well... I'm certainly sad that you're leaving. I don't know how we'll find someone who can shove that old deck swab around as good as you. Bon voyage!

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

Tujague posted:

This happened like five times

Not only is that a low number considering the gods are right there the whole time, but when were those? The wormhole guys never felt like some get out of jail card for the writers to me.

Ambrose Burnside
Aug 30, 2007

pensive

Gutcruncher posted:

Not only is that a low number considering the gods are right there the whole time, but when were those? The wormhole guys never felt like some get out of jail card for the writers to me.

erasing the dominion fleet in transit through the wormhole is probs the most egregious example but the series finale is p bad too iirc

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Neither of those were pulling a get-out-of-jail out of their asses though. The prophets/pawraith stuff in the finale mightve been dumb, but it was definitely being worked towards for like half the season. Deleting the Dominion fleet might have not been worked towards for the whole arc, or even the whole episode, but it wasnt some writer's asspull. The episode largely involved the people on the station disabling the station's weapons to prevent destroying the minefield. Rom in fact did manage to disable the weapons but like a second too late. If the writers were just going "eh I dont know how to end this arc, just do whatever" then Rom either would have succeeded or everyone on the station would just be standing around going "gosh I wonder how we're gonna get out of this one" the whole episode.

RVWinkle
Aug 24, 2004

In relating the circumstances which have led to my confinement within this refuge for the demented, I am aware that my present position will create a natural doubt of the authenticity of my narrative.
Nap Ghost
It's kinda interesting that having the gods fix everything at the end of the story is quite literally one of the oldest literary devices dating back to the Greek plays. It's legit story telling but I can see why it would be considered passe. loving atheists.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
Making the Dominion fleet disappear was kinda bullshit. Everything everyone had done beforehand really didn't matter at all, because the gods finally decided to do a thing finally. They should have at least combined it with the next season story about the wormhole temporarily disappearing, so there was at least a tangible consequence to The Sisko pleading for help, instead of 'oh, spooky things will happen later.'

Tujague
May 8, 2007

by LadyAmbien
Well, if literally having a race of timeless remote godlike uninterested mystery beings who live in a space tube and had already sworn up and down that they thought 3D life was dumb poo poo they didn't care about suddenly vanishing a gigantic war-ending enemy fleet for zero particular compelling reason isn't a deus ex machina, then I guess you win this argument, champ

Congratulations

edit This is a star trek thread, so in case you have massive autism, this post is 100% sarcasm and I am worried about getting into one of these arguments where the dictionary and I have to argue with some retard about what the dictionary and I say certain words mean

Tujague fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Sep 11, 2015

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

counterfeitsaint posted:

Making the Dominion fleet disappear was kinda bullshit. Everything everyone had done beforehand really didn't matter at all, because the gods finally decided to do a thing finally.

The stations weapons were broken thanks to Rom, allowing the Defiant to enter the wormhole :smug:

Gutcruncher fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Sep 11, 2015

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
just doin the sisko a favor imo

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

counterfeitsaint posted:

Making the Dominion fleet disappear was kinda bullshit. Everything everyone had done beforehand really didn't matter at all, because the gods finally decided to do a thing finally. They should have at least combined it with the next season story about the wormhole temporarily disappearing, so there was at least a tangible consequence to The Sisko pleading for help, instead of 'oh, spooky things will happen later.'

It should have been a suicide run of tens of thousands of those solar sail ships streaming up from the planet on lovely rockets and flapping open to speed up and penetrate their shields with olde-worlde non-tech that the dominion never considered needing to be able to scan. Explosions of fertilizer bombs with wood and brass fittings shooting everywhere and loving up the works. Bayjies blowing themselves up by the score. Their gods doing nothing to help them but quietly watch. Then later with the massive losses to the industrial and agricultural labour base you'd have a reason to keep continual famines.

But that would have actually made sense and been cool, so no. Make the chatty gods do it.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

shadow puppet of a posted:

It should have been a suicide run of tens of thousands of those solar sail ships streaming up from the planet on lovely rockets and flapping open to speed up and penetrate their shields with olde-worlde non-tech that the dominion never considered needing to be able to scan. Explosions of fertilizer bombs with wood and brass fittings shooting everywhere and loving up the works. Bayjies blowing themselves up by the score. Their gods doing nothing to help them but quietly watch. Then later with the massive losses to the industrial and agricultural labour base you'd have a reason to keep continual famines.

But that would have actually made sense and been cool, so no. Make the chatty gods do it.

Holy gently caress that would have been great.

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

shadow puppet of a posted:

tens of thousands? more like millions of heroic palestinian suicide bombers uh i mean bajorans

Shadow
Jun 25, 2002
If the wormhole aliens gave such a flying donkey dick about the Bajorans (according to the Bajorans) why did they let the Cardassian occupation take place without any intervention? Why intervene for the Dominion War?

Why is Sisko the Emissary?

Also I wish the Q were fleshed out more. There could have been so many episodes giving further depth to the Continuum. :(

RVWinkle
Aug 24, 2004

In relating the circumstances which have led to my confinement within this refuge for the demented, I am aware that my present position will create a natural doubt of the authenticity of my narrative.
Nap Ghost

Shadow posted:

Also I wish the Q were fleshed out more. There could have been so many episodes giving further depth to the Continuum. :(

I recall a Voyager episode where they beat that dead horse and made me despise everything related to Q. I think Janeway visited the continuum or something and everyone was extremely dull. It wasn't until Breaking Bad where they revived Q and made him interesting again.

Money Bags
Jun 27, 2013

I'm Crap posted:

Kanar has that effect on Cardassians. I for one prefer my kanar dropped into a solo cup of red bull and pounded like there's no tomorrow. Different strokes for different folks i guess.

Money Bags
Jun 27, 2013

But seriously, why would they concoct some crazy space liquor for the show when there's tons of perfectly good Jägermeister lying around?

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

RVWinkle posted:

I recall a Voyager episode where they beat that dead horse and made me despise everything related to Q. I think Janeway visited the continuum or something and everyone was extremely dull. It wasn't until My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic where they revived Q and made him interesting again.

:iamafag:

By the way, does the Star Trek fandom have any general feelings about how the brony fandom embraced John de Lancie, or how he embraced it in turn?

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

Money Bags posted:

perfectly good Jägermeister

"Perfectly good Jägermeister"? What is this?

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

Pththya-lyi posted:

By the way, does the Star Trek fandom have any general feelings about how the brony fandom embraced John de Lancie, or how he embraced it in turn?

"Fandom"

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Pththya-lyi posted:

Seems a smart enough career move to me.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
"These people are disgusting loving weirdos, but hey, it puts food on the table and beer in the fridge."

- John de Lancie in 1988 & 2013

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

It must be terrible to have the attention of the Breaking Bad fandom be a welcome, civil and boundary-respecting, relief.

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,

RVWinkle posted:

I recall a Voyager episode where they beat that dead horse and made me despise everything related to Q. I think Janeway visited the continuum or something and everyone was extremely dull. It wasn't until Breaking Bad where they revived Q and made him interesting again.

The amount of detail with which they showed the continuum in TNG was fine. "I've even been the scarecrow"

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

eSports Chaebol posted:

The amount of detail with which they showed the continuum in TNG was fine. "I've even been the scarecrow"

That was Voyager, "Death Wish". I don't think they go to the Continuum in TNG, just Voyager.

RVWinkle
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost
Back in the 90's I went to Vegas and visited the Star Trek "Experience" or whatever they called it. I don't really remember the ride/movie thing that much but DS9 themed bar was awesome. It was supposed to be modeled after Quark's bar but in retrospect it was more of a generic sci-fi theme with blue lighting and interesting faux Tesla coils embedded into the bar. They had this huge drink meant for 4 people called the "Warp Core Breach". It was filled with dry ice and $30 worth of liquor in a giant snifter. We were already pretty drunk but sober by Vegas standards so we each ordered one and proceeded to get sloppy. They had staff dressed up as Ferengi and Klingons which was pretty cool at the time because cosplay wasn't the big deal that it is today. Anyway, I was trying to start a fight with the Klingons but they were avoiding me, probably because it was a pain to clean puke out of their costumes. I'm not sure how we got back to our hotel but my equally drunk friend was driving so I didn't have to worry.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

FrensaGeran posted:

That was Voyager, "Death Wish". I don't think they go to the Continuum in TNG, just Voyager.

Yeah in TNG though the continuum is this weird desert road with a shack and an assortment of people in it who are all out if place and doing nothing but being boring.

Or was that Voyager?

Either way that was cool because it was like "Yeah your brain doesn't really understand what it's seeing so it's just doing the best it can to interpret this poo poo" which is why it looks totally bizarre.

The civil war thing was loving poo poo though. They used the same excuse but instead of both sides being a variety of people again in some weird out of place scenario it was literally all the American civil war and instead of getting the feeling it all looked mad because it was all too strange to comprehend it looked like they all got dressed up for the crew.

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,

FrensaGeran posted:

oh wow i misremembered that totally. i guess because it was done well so i assumed it must have been TNG

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

The desert road was in the Voyager Q episode where a Q was trying to commit suicide. Which was actually really well done.

Then later on Voyager had the Civil War bullshit, which was bullshit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DIDLl0D9M3o

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

A dumb racist who need to kill themselves

Shadow posted:

If the wormhole aliens gave such a flying donkey dick about the Bajorans (according to the Bajorans) why did they let the Cardassian occupation take place without any intervention? Why intervene for the Dominion War?

Why is Sisko the Emissary?

If you want to watch the whole series, don't read the spoiler. His mother was one of the prophets/wormhole aliens, and because of the way they view time nonlinearly, she left the wormhole to meet his father on earth and give birth to him because that's what was going to happen, so that's what she did. So essentially, Sisko is a predestination paradox.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

MikeJF posted:

The desert road was in the Voyager Q episode where a Q was trying to commit suicide. Which was actually really well done.

Then later on Voyager had the Civil War bullshit, which was bullshit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DIDLl0D9M3o

Yeah I had a gut feeling it might be one of the weird good Voyager episodes.

What's weird about the civil war thing is they could have had all the Qs having a western shoot out in a town on that dust road with of all the Qs looking like weird out of place people using the wrong guns for the time.

Nope civil war because america

Orange Sunshine
May 10, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Tujague posted:

Well, if literally having a race of timeless remote godlike uninterested mystery beings who live in a space tube and had already sworn up and down that they thought 3D life was dumb poo poo they didn't care about suddenly vanishing a gigantic war-ending enemy fleet for zero particular compelling reason isn't a deus ex machina, then I guess you win this argument, champ

The bottom line on the wormhole aliens was that they probably didn't give a poo poo about the bajorans or 3d life.

But they had a problem, which was that the rear end in a top hat pagh wraiths kept breaking out of their fire cave prison and trying to take over the wormhole and kill everyone in it. So they had to manipulate the situation to make sure this couldn't happen, which they could do quite readily since they existed outside of time and could see the future. They created the bajoran religion and the emissary and sent out the orbs and so on to make sure that in the end, the pagh wraiths would always fail.

So they could be left alone in there to do whatever they did for their timeless eternity.

Vanishing the dominion fleet as Sisko wanted turned out to be necessary to their overall plans, so they did it.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

My Q-Face posted:

If you want to watch the whole series, don't read the spoiler. His mother was one of the prophets/wormhole aliens, and because of the way they view time nonlinearly, she left the wormhole to meet his father on earth and give birth to him because that's what was going to happen, so that's what she did. So essentially, Sisko is a predestination paradox.

Sisko is simply the Emissary because he's the first person (from their point of view) that ever encountered them and spoke to them in any meaningful way and told them how the rest of the universe works. They were initially going to cut themselves off from the linear universe but he convinced them to stay and interact with it. So they were all 'okay but this is your problem' and appointed him as their go-between. Literally an Emissary.

Later on it turns out that they caused his birth so that he could fulfill his role of opening the tenth Orb to rescue them from the Pah-Wraiths, but they didn't do that until after the first time they met him.

The Bajoran religion was basically an accident - the Orbs were just probes sent out to test the physical properties of the universe beyond the wormhole - but it seems like they've accepted their role a little bit, depending on where they're up to when you encounter them. Later in the show once everyone's caught up on things it seems like they've kinda gotten into it. And Bajor was a convenient place to build a Pah-Wraith prison.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 10:21 on Sep 11, 2015

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Shadow posted:

It's hinted they can see the long picture on such a scale that they allowed it to happen to ultimately put Bajor in a better place. Bajor's religion around them is largely misguided in structure.

There was an episode where some guy came from before the occupation and he immediately wanted to start a new caste system and throw out progress they only made because of the occupation, for example. In other words they'd be some backwater that wouldn't matter to the universe and would be content living in some odd techno dark age until the end of time if not for getting their rear end kicked, probably fighting religious wars.

Basically think about it like the plot of Watchmen, except there was a true greater enemy that dragged them all together.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Yeah, let's not forget that from 80 years suffering in the Occupation, then neutrality in the Dominion war, they're going to get a 1000 year golden age, presumably as Federation members and a major hub thanks to the wormhole. Sisko got that in one of his visions.

• Locked thread