Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
You all know that instead of doing what you want DE would just remove ammo drops entirely, leave ammo as it is, and force us to rely entirely on Ammo Restores. Because doing things the simple/right way is not in the cards so long as DE_Steve is steering.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
I'm fine with non-regenerating ammo with pickups (because I think it would be bad to make people not have to leave their camping spots and just stand in one place and spew death from a gun), but it should seriously be slimmed down to just primary/secondary, and how much ammo you get back per pickup would then be dictated by weapon type.

(That people are basically able to do this with frame powers is another thing that is also objectionable, but that's a topic for a different time.)

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Sep 10, 2015

Denzine
Sep 2, 2011

One time, I did a thing.
I am against having to up anything that isn't a mission objective.

Let's make Carrier irrelevant.

Coldbird
Jul 17, 2001

be spiritless
Even doing that to ammo wouldn't change the biggest draw of Carrier, which is how it helps sustain toggle powers. They'd have to do something huge to energy too, which would likely have a much bigger effect on endgame stuff.

I'm actually kind of surprised they're talking about this big gun overhaul right now, with the map overhaul in full swing and demanding so much attention, and now they're just dropping this potentially huge project in on top of it.

RosaParksOfDip
May 11, 2009
90% of my desire to always run Carrier has nothing to do with sustaining my murdersprees and more to do with being incredibly lazy about picking up loot.

Denzine
Sep 2, 2011

One time, I did a thing.

Coldbird posted:

Even doing that to ammo wouldn't change the biggest draw of Carrier, which is how it helps sustain toggle powers.

Energy orbs jelly is not a mission objective.

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G
Anyone else have problem connecting atm?

Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

Aesis posted:

Anyone else have problem connecting atm?

Yeah looks like the login server is down. It managed to kick me out right as I got the new stance too.

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G
Looks like it's fixed now.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

After playing for a year and a half I finally got my first 75% off coupon! :woop:
Shame it happened on the same week as my paycheck only being 2/3rds as big as it should've. Swing and a miss, DE.

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G

Malachite_Dragon posted:

After playing for a year and a half I finally got my first 75% off coupon! :woop:
Shame it happened on the same week as my paycheck only being 2/3rds as big as it should've. Swing and a miss, DE.
Surely you can afford $50 for 4k plats :v:

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Not if I want to have a new non-poo poo PC built before the end of the year :negative:

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G
Pull an Azran then :)

LordBaxter
Sep 7, 2009

I finally managed to make everybody like me, if only for one day
I would be a lot happier with ammo pickups if maximum ammo capacity was balanced for each individual weapon rather than for a random few. The bronco and the aksomati have the same max ammo count.

It'd also be cool if shared ammo pools were more intelligent. If you bring a bow and a kulstar/angstrum they both share the same ammo pool, and that ammo pool is equal to the weapon with the lowest maximum ammo.

Cathair
Jan 7, 2008

Caffeine IV posted:

So, there you go. Not only does Critical Delay do less damage, it wrecks the Rakta Cernos' best feature -- that is, the fact that it can take a follow-up shot far faster than any other bow. That allows you to compensate for the rare non-crit shot, misses, or whatnot. Running out of ammo isn't even really possible on a bow, too. I personally run Heavy Caliber because, let's be real: I'm going to be missing some shots with a bow anyways, so if I hit something, it needs to stay dead.

Also, Critical Delay on the Rakta Cernos means you hate fun :mad:

tl;dr DON'T RUN CRITICAL DELAY ON THE RAKTA CERNOS

Counterpoint: DO RUN CRITICAL DELAY ON THE RAKTA CERNOS, IT'S A PERFECTLY LEGITIMATE BUILD CHOICE

First, why aren't you running Speed Trigger on there with Critical Delay? Rakta Cernos has plenty enough damage to 'waste' a slot like that if you forma it out. And on Tonkor, fire rate is largely irrelevant.

Second, Heavy Caliber is only a viable option for people who are really terrible at bows- normally it's possible to hit things halfway across the map once you get used to the travel time, but Heavy Caliber limits you to the effective range of a (post-buff) shotgun. A lot less, actually, since you can still pelt people to death from across the map with a shotgun if you don't care about ammo or time. And your effective range for a reliable headshot is even less. If you're going to run Hcal in a bow, why aren't you just using a shotgun instead? Would be a lot more fun. You wouldn't need Hcal to make sure things stay dead anyway if you weren't running a decent chance of dud shots without reliable crit.

But let's get to the critical philosophical disagreement here: most of the math you did would be very relevant to something like the Amprex but it completely misses the point on weapons like these, because:

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Counterpoint: Every bow needs to crit 100% of the time, Crit delay is the only way to do that on the Rakta Cernos. It's not like a shotgun or Soma where you've got another dozen rounds to even out the damage.
^this guy gets it.

See, I feel like not running Critical Delay on a Cernos means you hate fun, because it means you care more about statistical optimums than what the weapon actually feels like to use. Same thing goes for the Tonkor: I want to know exactly what the pair of grenades I just fired is going to do, not have situations where I blow up a squad and then- whoops, there's three of them still alive, I'll have to shoot them again (once I finish reloading), but hey it's ok because once you average it all out I'm getting 15% more dps over the course of the mission and that's what really matters, right?

The question you should be asking for effectively single-shot weapons like these is not 'does it give me the best dps to mod for 100% crit', it's 'can I feasibly mod for 100% crit without loving up the damage too badly', and the answer is yes for both Tonkor and Cernos.

Cathair fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Sep 11, 2015

Cathair
Jan 7, 2008

Male Man posted:

With split chamber and point strike, rakta cernos lands a crit 93.3% of the time. That's reliable enough for me, especially given the high refire rate.

One of us did our math wrong, for a base crit chance of 87.5% I'm getting a ~76.6% chance of both arrows critting. With something like a ~1.4% chance of neither arrow critting. Which you will notice, at some point, given the volume of enemies you kill in this game. And that's not even taking into account the fact that Split Chamber only goes to 90% multishot, with a third probability factored in overall chances of that ideal double crit would be even lower.

That's not reliable enough for me.

Male Man
Aug 16, 2008

Im, too sexy for your teatime
Too sexy for your teatime
That tea that you're just driiinkiing
You're right, I fat fingered my numpad.

It's a 97.3% chance to score at least one crit. What are you shooting that you need two?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

EVERYTHING.

And with less than 100% crit rate you will never get red crits.

Cathair
Jan 7, 2008

SynthOrange posted:

EVERYTHING.

This, literally. Consider that the Rakta Cernos gets 4.4x damage on a crit (e: when properly fitted w/ Vital Sense). If I didn't somehow gently caress up basic math here, this means that if you have two arrows fired and only one of them crits, you're doing something like 61% of the damage you'd get if both arrows crit.

That's too big of a disparity to just handwave away. It's almost a dud. I mean, come on, why would people even be worrying about optimal damage builds or Hcal or whatever if all you needed was 61% of your gun's damage to kill everything?

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?

Aesis posted:

Pull an Azran then :)

This is funny to me for all the wrong reasons. :v: I do wonder if the last goon who bought plat from me didn't get hit because I didn't use a literal MR2 account that hasn't progressed in a year to trade plat that I bought with a paypal account through their site, instead using a established MR18 account and Steam Wallet cash.

Spooky Bear Ghost
Sep 17, 2010

lets get spooky
I kinda want some kind of mission thats a "hold up as long as possible" type thing, where you are guaranteed to die at the end. Like, holding off infested while colonists evacuate the planet/asteroid/colony ship. Hang out in a box shaped building with four ramparts aiming out, then just stay alive as long as possible until the enemies overwhelm you. Then ordis puts you in a stasis pod or something and sucks you back up, and you get loot based on how many colonists you save. Functionally it wouldnt be much different than survival, but also want to have a starship troopers holdout against tons of enemies type thing. :v:

LordBaxter
Sep 7, 2009

I finally managed to make everybody like me, if only for one day
What's a good secondary to catalyze? Thinking about aksomati or twin grakatas but I got a bunch of other stuff.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Twin grak, atomos, boltor w/ the syndicate mod, synoid gammacor

Cryophage
Jan 14, 2012

what the hell is that creepy cartoon thing in your avatar?

SynthOrange posted:

Twin grak, atomos, boltor w/ the syndicate mod, synoid gammacor

Vaykor Marelok, Lex Prime, Hikou Prime if you can get your hands on Concealed Explosives, Brakk

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

The Nukor is kind of stupid fun because any body part hit by it also enlarges, so you could potentially make someone a bobblehead

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

I do not understand the obsession with the twin grakatas. Two turds do not make a good gun.
E: I already have a crit-bullet hose, it's called Soma Prime.

Male Man
Aug 16, 2008

Im, too sexy for your teatime
Too sexy for your teatime
That tea that you're just driiinkiing

Cathair posted:

This, literally. Consider that the Rakta Cernos gets 4.4x damage on a crit (e: when properly fitted w/ Vital Sense). If I didn't somehow gently caress up basic math here, this means that if you have two arrows fired and only one of them crits, you're doing something like 61% of the damage you'd get if both arrows crit.

That's too big of a disparity to just handwave away. It's almost a dud. I mean, come on, why would people even be worrying about optimal damage builds or Hcal or whatever if all you needed was 61% of your gun's damage to kill everything?

I guess if you're somehow replacing critical delay with a version without the crit but still the full fire rate penalty that analysis would be correct.

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

I'M A LEAD FARMER, MOTHERFUCKER!

Malachite_Dragon posted:

Buttchucks First Impressions: I'm easily impressed, but I kinda like them. They're quick, they look slick, they have a kick-rear end idle animation. Everyone knows looking cool is the most important part, utility be damned :colbert:

Malachite_Dragon posted:

I do not understand the obsession with the twin grakatas. Two turds do not make a good gun.
E: I already have a crit-bullet hose, it's called Soma Prime.

:frogout:

P.S. They're still not as cool as Secura Dual Cestra.

BeAuMaN fucked around with this message at 06:25 on Sep 11, 2015

Cathair
Jan 7, 2008

Male Man posted:

I guess if you're somehow replacing critical delay with a version without the crit but still the full fire rate penalty that analysis would be correct.

Had trouble parsing this for a second- I guess you're trying to say that dud shots don't matter because the R. Cernos' charge speed is so high, but that's a pretty mangled way of saying it.

The analysis you're responding to is basically "If you run only Point Strike, a fair number of your shots will end up doing dramatically less damage". If you're okay with that because you can quickly get another shot off, that's fine, but it doesn't make it not a fact.

The thing about this bow's high charge speed is that it can only count for so much because the arrows have travel time and therefore a need to aim. It's going to cost you at least a fraction of a second to aim each individual shot anyway, no matter how fast you can charge it (unless you're only using the thing at point-blank range, in which case, again, just use a shotgun you goob). If we were talking about a hitscan semi-auto like a Latron it'd be different, I'd say Critical Delay wouldn't be worth it because follow-up shots are practically instant for those kinds of clickspam guns. But for a bow, every shot matters.

Mostly I just don't get why people think it's fun to have a weapon that randomly 'malfunctions' and fails to kill something when you thought it was going to. It makes the gun feel like a piece of junk, like playing STALKER with your rifle's durability in the red zone so it jams all the time. That's a fun mechanic in its proper place, but that place is not here.

Cathair fucked around with this message at 06:26 on Sep 11, 2015

wid
Sep 7, 2005
Living in paradise (only bombed once)

LordBaxter posted:

What's a good secondary to catalyze? Thinking about aksomati or twin grakatas but I got a bunch of other stuff.

Depends if you want to use them for high level content or just because they're fun. Because there are fun secondaries while only a few (Vaykor Marelok, Synoid Gammacor, Atomos) are useable at high levels. Unlike primary, it's easier to list secondaries that are trash: anything with the word "Cestra", Ballistica, Spectra, Seer, single Viper and Furis and of course, Lato and MK-1 crap.

Souplesse
May 31, 2011

Gentlemoas.

Cathair posted:

Counterpoint: DO RUN CRITICAL DELAY ON THE RAKTA CERNOS, IT'S A PERFECTLY LEGITIMATE BUILD CHOICE

Hold on, hold on; I was joking about the funhating- I forgot that wasn't really totally ludicrous hyperbole for someone to say in this thread :(

I hadn't considered putting Speed Trigger on with Critical Delay because that's another mod for damage gone, and I have a mental hangup about 'wasting' slots like that. It's totally reasonable to ignore that for most situations, but I'm always modding to go as far into an endless mission as possible, which means damage. Now, I don't find going for hour-long Survivals or whatever fun, and I basically never do it, but I'm uncomfortable making a build that leaves potential damage on the table because the next Prime'll come out someday and I will get desperate enough to do it.

As for Heavy Caliber, I routinely make shots from across the Void Defense map or Draco, and I'm comfortable with how it feels. If it's farther than that, then it's not really an enemy that I'm going to care about; if it has to die, I'd rather move up and reduce the pressure to aim than take longer and still possibly miss. Headshots are a non-factor to me, too: when I loose an arrow, I want that to punch through as many bodies as possible, and lining up chests is much, much easier than lining up heads.

Basically, the issue is that even with 100% crit, you will eventually run into enemies that take a second arrow or grenade to kill. I'm in Male Man's camp; 97.3% chance to crit is reliable enough for me, and I'd rather push that kill threshold forward a few minutes, even if only theoretically. If you're uncomfortable without perfect accuracy and crit rate, by all means, mod towards that.

e;oh, and I love point-blank arrows because that's badass :c00lbert:

Souplesse fucked around with this message at 07:06 on Sep 11, 2015

Highwang
Nov 7, 2013

No Pineapple?
No Thank You!

Aesis posted:

Forma two more and remove ammo stock.

So close. 45k per shot, 90k burst. :staredog:

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

^^ max your point blank.

Highwang
Nov 7, 2013

No Pineapple?
No Thank You!

Sandweed posted:

^^ max your point blank.

I feel like if I did that I would cause an excess flood crash in the code somehow.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
I haven't heard much in the way of reactions to Equinox yet. Has anyone here actually tried the thing? Is it actually any good or just fun and gimmicky? Or both?

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

One of you let me know that my Frost Prime BP is rare because it was discontinued.
Should I market this as I can't make the whole thing or hold on to it?

wid
Sep 7, 2005
Living in paradise (only bombed once)

Captain Oblivious posted:

I haven't heard much in the way of reactions to Equinox yet. Has anyone here actually tried the thing? Is it actually any good or just fun and gimmicky? Or both?

It's useful at least. Seems like players use mostly the day form and couldn't figure out what to do with the night form, or use the switching bonus. It's an extra button and timer that doesn't help you much in shooting mans. It has quite a ludicrous area nuke if you built enough damage reserve.

Souplesse
May 31, 2011

Gentlemoas.

Find a Banshee and glue them to your hip. Turn on Maim. Nap in Limbo Zone.

Highwang
Nov 7, 2013

No Pineapple?
No Thank You!

Pretty much spot on. Equinox is a strange frame namely due to what it can offer. What you're supposed to do is swap inbetween modes on the fly and provide either defensive support of offensive buffing to keep your team going strong. However if you wanna be lazy you typically build for either Night mode's aoe damage down or Day mode's Maim to farm areas. Maim is a great gimmick to run because you can just hold W and clear missions if you build toward efficiency and strength. Its a very flexible frame, though due to that nature there are frames that does what it can do better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

I spent an entire T3S with Maim up and racked up well over 500,000 damage points before it was forcibly detonated by a Nullifier surprising me. :getin: Maim can get every bit as ludicrous as Nyx's Absorb, with the added bonus that you can move around during it.