Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Paz remaining an Idol in death is very funny to me, because it means that in the tape where Miller talks about how people have been spreading your legend around, they must having been doing the same for her simultaneously.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Let me tell you new boys a yarn... about the Legendary Soldier and the Angel Of Peace.

BurnBlackJay
May 31, 2011

by Lowtax
The way I see the whole paz thing is big boss daydreaming up a scenario where he got wrist deep in the anime girl he never got to show his solid snake to

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

BurnBlackJay posted:

The way I see the whole paz thing is big boss daydreaming up a scenario where he got wrist deep in the anime girl he never got to show his solid snake to

No its Venom having latent memories of his time in the MSF kicked up by reencountering old war buddies and their memento photos. His mind creates a complicated hallucination to deal with it because the memory and guilt of failing to save her and also being present at the same place as big boss conflict with what the 9 years of brainwashing coded into him. In the end the Paz memory reasserts the truth and makes one last appeal to live his life as Medic, freely, instead of Big Boss before fading for good.

It's one of the best things in the game and actual good writing.

BurnBlackJay
May 31, 2011

by Lowtax

Sharkopath posted:

No its Venom having latent memories of his time in the MSF kicked up by reencountering old war buddies and their memento photos. His mind creates a complicated hallucination to deal with it because the memory and guilt of failing to save her and also being present at the same place as big boss conflict with what the 9 years of brainwashing coded into him. In the end the Paz memory reasserts the truth and makes one last appeal to live his life as Medic, freely, instead of Big Boss before fading for good.

It's one of the best things in the game and actual good writing.

Why can't it be both sharkopath . ?

Good Lord Fisher!
Jul 14, 2006

Groovy!

Venom loves being Big Boss. He enjoys all the killing.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Good Lord Fisher! posted:

Venom loves being Big Boss. He enjoys all the killing.

Yah its dope. MGSV is a tragedy where a man has his whole life taken from him to serve a bad dude who abandons all his duties and compatriots to start over fresh somewhere else, because its the most convenient and safe option available. In the end when confronted with the reality that he isn't what he has thought to be all this time he rejects it and accepts his destiny to fight and die as somebody elses phantom.

It's sad and cool. A great game and a good ending.

ToxicAcne
May 25, 2014
Did anyone else feel sorry for Zero at the end? He seems like a sad old man rather than a dastardly schemer.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

The only two things I really wish they had included:

Operation Intrude. Either from Solid's POV or Venom's. It would have had been pretty brutal to watch the base you just spent like 50 hours building getting dismantled, and if it switched POVs and forced you to be the one to pull the trigger on Venom, they could have wrung out a lot of extra tension / drama. You get a hint of it in the final cutscene, but a deeper look at the motivations behind Intrude would have been really satisfying.

Except Mother Base isn't Outer Heaven. Venom Snake uses the funds gained from Diamond Dogs as seed money to build Outer Heaven. Outer Heaven is in South Africa, and Intrude N313 takes place in 1995.

quote:

Part of me wanted to see baby's first Foxhound getting formed and all, but I'm kind of glad they didn't do that in retrospect because I think Kojima's writing is a lot weaker when he feels like he has to force the fan-service into his plot.

I think it would have been useful and important to show why they're called the "Sons of Big Boss".

The opportunity was clearly there, too. It would have been cool to see Big Boss pass down his meme to his "sons" the way The Boss did to him.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

ToxicAcne posted:

Did anyone else feel sorry for Zero at the end? He seems like a sad old man rather than a dastardly schemer.

All the Zero tapes were really cool because you see a bunch of sides to him. He's a pretty faceted character and I wish there was more of him in it, as silly as that would be.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

BurnBlackJay posted:

I think its more about "doctor lamenting the patient who died on his table". Venom is the one who operated on her after all, and he didn't find the second bomb. Her death is directly on his hands. That was Venom's pain, not Big Boss.

Big Boss only seemed to tolerate Paz, he didn't really give a poo poo about her the way Kaz and a lot of the men did.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Vengarr posted:

I think its more about "doctor lamenting the patient who died on his table". Venom is the one who operated on her after all, and he didn't find the second bomb. Her death is directly on his hands. That was Venom's pain, not Big Boss.

Big Boss only seemed to tolerate Paz, he didn't really give a poo poo about her the way Kaz and a lot of the men did.

Paz is kind of a stand in for his own original identity as the tapes go on which is pretty interesting. She speaks directly about the "mind you lost" and even when directly addressing the listener says "I fought snake." Instead of "I fought you."

It's kinda like his psyche created a false scenario where he was the big hero and paz was alive because you're the big boss!!!!!!!!!!!! when confronted with conflicting memories that survived the brainwashing, and the memory itself rejects the rationalization and tries to reassert the truth but not to any real success.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Get this: MGSV might be a pretty good game, but keep it quiet.

Ekusukariba
Oct 11, 2012
I wish they had explored your personality as the medic more, like have some final missions where the brainwashing isn't being as effective and fragments of your past start to resurface, like say there's a cutscene where someone is badly injured and your medicial training instincts take over and you treat them with Kaz surprised you were able to, have it lead into the truth mission rather than just having it suddenly pop up and say yup you're a medic

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!

Funky Valentine posted:

I like how the credits timeline just ignores Solidus. Poor guy works his way to the presidency and no one gives him any respect, it's always "David this" and "David that".

The patriots pretty much koch brothered him though

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!

ToxicAcne posted:

4 and 5 end like that

Luceid
Jan 20, 2005

Buy some freaking medicine.
its 9/11 here and let me tell you how incredible all the plot they saved up for the last, hidden act of the game is. restart steam boys

Good Lord Fisher!
Jul 14, 2006

Groovy!

Luceid posted:

its 9/11 here and let me tell you how incredible all the plot they saved up for the last, hidden act of the game is. restart steam boys

Lol

Chippita
Jun 12, 2006

by Shine

Luceid posted:

at the very least, quiet probably gets to eat cake with this girl?

Chippita fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Sep 11, 2015

Modest Mao
Feb 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
fix yer tables

Modest Mao
Feb 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
I am excited for the dead cat bounce of human misery about to happen in 19 hours

klapman
Aug 27, 2012

this char is good

Modest Mao posted:

I am excited for the dead cat bounce of human misery about to happen in 19 hours

lol if you think I won't be waiting until the last time zone hits 9/12

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Modest Mao posted:

Anyone who believes that poo poo deserves it.

Chippita
Jun 12, 2006

by Shine

Modest Mao posted:

you win either way by believing it's fake. it's much more rewarding when you get to be like "hah you're all dumb" because it turned out to actually be something.

though to be honest if it gets updated with a rick roll I'll probably quit the internet as a whole.

klapman
Aug 27, 2012

this char is good
ground zeroes will actually be updated to be the rest of the game, and when everyone who only got TPP gets pissed about it kojima will be like "hey man theres a reason it says metal gear solid 5 on the fuckin cover"

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Vengarr posted:

He literally went on a date with her.

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

This hand of mine shines and roars! It's bright cry tells me to grasp victory!

Chippita posted:

you win either way by believing it's fake. it's much more rewarding when you get to be like "hah you're all dumb" because it turned out to actually be something.

though to be honest if it gets updated with a rick roll I'll probably quit the internet as a whole.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rrlQhklDjIs

I'm going to make them give back our pasts.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

Yah all of MSF fawned on her, including Boss.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

MSF was actually kinda like a weird idealized funtime sitcom version of the soldier heaven, it seems like every time somebody tried to start it up again it got worse and worse.

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro

ImpAtom posted:

he also went on a date with kaz

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

MGS6 is an alternate history where Skullface failed to take out Mother Base and you have to conquer the world as Benevolent Snake, using a marketing weaponized Paz as poster child for the Mother Base way of life, that is now mandatory.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Vengarr posted:

Except Mother Base isn't Outer Heaven. Venom Snake uses the funds gained from Diamond Dogs as seed money to build Outer Heaven. Outer Heaven is in South Africa, and Intrude N313 takes place in 1995.

I think it would have been useful and important to show why they're called the "Sons of Big Boss".

The opportunity was clearly there, too. It would have been cool to see Big Boss pass down his meme to his "sons" the way The Boss did to him.

Yeah, I wasn't really thinking that through. Would have still been a cool epilogue, though.

Also this rumor stuff is ridiculous and dumb. Sergio Canavero is a real surgeon who has hundreds of peer-reviewed articles published. You probably aren't going to find a ton of info on him on Google or something for the same reason that you aren't going to find a ton of information on the internet about any other random Italian surgeon. He's just a doctor that came to light when he starting talking about doing something crazy - it's not the first time it has happened (and in fact is not the first time a surgeon has claimed they could do a head transplant and gotten a bunch of attention that just eventually fizzled out). He even published a monograph with Cambridge in 2007, well before this game was a blip on anyone's radar, so saying he "didn't exist" before this game started development is patently false. iirc he's also currently enmeshed in a lawsuit over the use of his likeness after someone pointed it out to him, unless you think they set that up too.

Nothing is coming on 9/11. A publicly traded company with a board of executives that is actively trying to get out of the console games market did not get together to plot the fake firing of Hideo Kojima and purposefully rush out an unfinished game to create "phantom pain" so they could release DLC 11 days later. That is a loving insane thing to think. Konami execs care as much about Kojima's "artistic vision" as they care about what they are having for lunch tomorrow. Possibly less.The whole Kojima fiasco actually ended up hurting them financially, as the announcement of that and the cancellation of Silent Hills literally made their stock drop. Not by a huge amount, but not by nothing, either. If you think a multi-billion dollar entertainment company is going to risk that sort of financial damage over a piddling video game, you are delusional.

The website and the youtube account people are pointing to are so blatantly fake that it boggles the mind how anyone could buy into them. It is exactly the sort of thing some bored kid would make.

The game that we got is incredible and the story, while not perfect, is pretty loving good for a video game, and a lot deeper than people give it credit for. If crazed fans put even a fraction of the effort into actually engaging with what the game gave them that they put into coming up with ridiculous theories / fanfics, they would probably enjoy it a lot more.

Modest Mao
Feb 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
where's the japanese version of the countdown site lol

klapman
Aug 27, 2012

this char is good

The game that we got is incredible and the story, while not perfect, is pretty loving good for a video game, and a lot deeper than people give it credit for. If crazed fans put even a fraction of the effort into actually engaging with what the game gave them that they put into coming up with ridiculous theories / fanfics, they would probably enjoy it a lot more.

Ever since MGS2 that really has been half the drat game to me. Besides, engaging with the game is something I can do whenever I want now. Coming up with insane poo poo like this and being able to believe it can be true, if only for a moment, is something that can only be done right at this point in time. Yeah, no poo poo it's not likely, but since Kojima's at the helm he can sell us this delusion for a while, because there's reason to believe that the guy who made MGS2 could pull one last loving awesome rabbit out of his hat. Even if it all comes to nothing, isn't it fun to believe for a bit? It's not as if we're losing anything by doing so. Worst case scenario, we have a lot of fun speculating and going crazy with wild theories, and get disappointed by reality. Reality being disappointing isn't exactly news, but the chance of it actually being loving awesome instead certainly is.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

klapman posted:

Ever since MGS2 that really has been half the drat game to me. Besides, engaging with the game is something I can do whenever I want now. Coming up with insane poo poo like this and being able to believe it can be true, if only for a moment, is something that can only be done right at this point in time. Yeah, no poo poo it's not likely, but since Kojima's at the helm he can sell us this delusion for a while, because there's reason to believe that the guy who made MGS2 could pull one last loving awesome rabbit out of his hat. Even if it all comes to nothing, isn't it fun to believe for a bit? It's not as if we're losing anything by doing so. Worst case scenario, we have a lot of fun speculating and going crazy with wild theories, and get disappointed by reality. Reality being disappointing isn't exactly news, but the chance of it actually being loving awesome instead certainly is.

I mean I guess if you are deriving legitimate enjoyment out of it then absolutely, knock yourself out. Most of the people talking about just sound really bitter about the fact that the game didn't give them what they wanted and are now latching onto these theories out of pure desperation, which is both unhealthy and only going to lead to even more disappointment, followed by a bunch of people posting about how now the game is really poo poo after this obviously fake thing ended up being fake.

And *is* Kojima still at the helm? I've heard conflicting information on whether the plan was for him to leave almost immediately after release, or whether he was sticking around until December / when MGO comes out. At the very least I think Kojima Productions has already officially disbanded and the rest of the team has gone separate ways, so it's not like Kojima is about to go on some one-man crusade to deliver us his final masterpiece. It's not like Kojima is the one coding his own games.

Calipark
Feb 1, 2008

That's cool.

randombattle posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rrlQhklDjIs

I'm going to make them give back our pasts.

Such a lust for FLAVOR! WHOOOOOOOOOOO

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Guys what if Hideo Kojima joins Valve and makes Half-Life 3 on the FOX Engine that Valve bought?

klapman
Aug 27, 2012

this char is good

I mean I guess if you are deriving legitimate enjoyment out of it then absolutely, knock yourself out. Most of the people talking about just sound really bitter about the fact that the game didn't give them what they wanted and are now latching onto these theories out of pure desperation, which is both unhealthy and only going to lead to even more disappointment, followed by a bunch of people posting about how now the game is really poo poo after this obviously fake thing ended up being fake.

And *is* Kojima still at the helm? I've heard conflicting information on whether the plan was for him to leave almost immediately after release, or whether he was sticking around until December / when MGO comes out. At the very least I think Kojima Productions has already officially disbanded and the rest of the team has gone separate ways, so it's not like Kojima is about to go on some one-man crusade to deliver us his final masterpiece. It's not like Kojima is the one coding his own games.

Well as far as the bitterness goes, if this does end up being false then yeah it's stupid. On the other hand, if Kojima really is about to pull some poo poo, it's those people whose reactions he's really psyched to see. Personally i'm not a huge fan of how the story stands at this point, but I know drat well that MGS2 also pissed me off really bad, and now it's one of my favorite stories in games. I think that being angry at games has value, too - if you're angry enough at it, it makes you look really deeply into the game in order to explain just how mad you are, and that's another way of really experiencing it. If it were most any other game series I wouldn't even let myself get mad at it, because I wouldn't actually care. If nothing else, i'm glad that MGS 5 was able to make me feel invested enough to get real pissed off about it.

I'm not sure if Kojima's still there or not, i'm only going to be stubborn about this until it hits 9/12 so i'm keeping myself pretty light on actual pertinent information. Though honestly even if he is straight up gone, it's going to be so loving cool to see him make a completely new game.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

To be honest, even though I know the Ingsoc Black Hound stuff is bullshit there is some part of me that hopes we are all being played like a fiddle and an extra mission, even if it's just the return to Camp Omega gets patched in. But that's about as likely as Yakuza 0 getting localized so pretty much never.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

I will be the first person to fall to my knees and repent my evil ways if some DLC drops. I just see a lot of people who are already upset with the game finding a way to become even angrier, which is both dumb and unfair to the game that we actually got. Crazy ARGs can be fun if you are approaching it as entertainment and not counting on it to "save" the game, for sure.

• Locked thread