Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NyetscapeNavigator
Sep 22, 2003

Feenix posted:

iPhone/Apple store guys (or anyone who knows...) I have AppleCare+. Does my phone have to be appreciably damaged to get the 79 dollar swap? I want a mint one for a resale but it feels... wrong... to damage mine more than the one or two dings on the bezel.

The AppleCare can transfer to the new owner you know...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

japtor posted:

Content blocking might help a bit with the tab reloads.

Ooh I forgot about that. Time to turn it on if it's not by default! Thanks for the reminder.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Sure would be nice if Apple would put up the full terms of their upgrade scheme. They claim in nice big letters that the phone is not contract encumbered, but the fine print says using the program requires activation with a carrier.

:iiam:

It's technically cheaper than AT&T's next, but by such a small amount that it pretty much doesn't matter.

So really I'm just eager to read the details.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

milkaxor posted:

I don't think it is a ram issue. I have similar behavior on desktop safari. I think it is a design choice, not a ram constraint.

I've literally never seen this on full Safari across multiple Macs with various amounts of RAM.

milkaxor
Mar 5, 2003

I choose you!

EL BROMANCE posted:

Ooh I forgot about that. Time to turn it on if it's not by default! Thanks for the reminder.

You need to download a content blocker. A lot of them will be released. I'm going to use the purify blocker.

e: purify demo

milkaxor fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Sep 11, 2015

milkaxor
Mar 5, 2003

I choose you!

Endless Mike posted:

I've literally never seen this on full Safari across multiple Macs with various amounts of RAM.

Looks like I'm wrong and I just keep tabs open forever.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Variable_H posted:

iPhone thread, tell me how to basically commit a form of insurance fraud.

I don't need to be told how to do that, I'm a fairly industrious guy. I'm just asking if AppleCare+ allows for a swap out on cosmetic/minor natural damages. Nice try, though, Matlock. ;)

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Feenix posted:

I don't need to be told how to do that, I'm a fairly industrious guy. I'm just asking if AppleCare+ allows for a swap out on cosmetic/minor natural damages. Nice try, though, Matlock. ;)

Well, if your phone were to have an "accident" it would be covered. You know what I'm saying? :forkbomb:

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

tuyop posted:

Well, if your phone were to have an "accident" it would be covered. You know what I'm saying? :forkbomb:

I do. Obviously I know if it were badly damaged it gets replaced, that's the selling point. I just wanted to know if it was more discretionary to the owner... like, "oh hey... I have this cosmetic ding in my bezel... I'd like a new one."

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

Variable_H posted:

iPhone thread, tell me how to basically commit a form of insurance fraud.

This doesn't seem like insurance fraud at all. Real insurance fraud is buying a phone for super cheap, swapping the backing alone, and editing a few files to match the serial numbers via software, then claiming your phone was damaged to have 2 new phones for essentially an overall cost of $200

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

It's...beautiful. :allears:

spongeworthy
Jan 16, 2009
I am not a fan of iOS 9's new app switcher layout at all. I realize it's more Cover Flow like I guess, but it seems very crowded and much less helpful to browse and glance at information displayed on running apps.

Rocco
Mar 15, 2003

Hey man. You're number one. Put it. In. The Bucket.
Sorry if I missed discussion of this in the thread, but regarding this new Apple upgrade plan (the thing where you pay like $32 a month just to have the new phone every year)- I want to do that AND I want the iPhone 6S, so can I log on at midnight tomorrow and sign up for that? What do I need to do? Did they make that clear anywhere?

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

According to this website, the 6S and 6S+ will indeed have 2GB of RAM. This may alleviate those Safari reloading issues, unless that behavior is hardcoded into Safari for iOS.

decypher
Aug 23, 2003

Who else see da leprechaun say yaaaa!

spongeworthy posted:

I am not a fan of iOS 9's new app switcher layout at all. I realize it's more Cover Flow like I guess, but it seems very crowded and much less helpful to browse and glance at information displayed on running apps.

God it looks an awful lot like the old Windows task switcher and equally weird.

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love
did they do away with the 2 year contract discount option?

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

enojy posted:

According to this website, the 6S and 6S+ will indeed have 2GB of RAM. This may alleviate those Safari reloading issues, unless that behavior is hardcoded into Safari for iOS.

Despite literal hours of googling and reading a ton of words on the matter, I can't find any definitive answers about exactly how Apple uses RAM on iphones but would be interested if someone broke it down.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
Installed the 9.0 GM last night and woke up to a prompt asking me to install the 9.1 Public Beta. Kind of tempted to stay on the Beta train!

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
I like how the Apple Store app has a thing to remember your upgrade details so you can pre-order easier, but (and I'm guessing this is AT&T's fault) it won't actually let you complete the process because the phone isn't available yet.

I know this is possible, but I don't remember how: I'm going to use my wife's upgrade to get the 6s, and give her my 5s (she currently has the 5). When the phone gets here, I'm planning to:

- Backup the 5/5s locally
- Sign both out of iMessage
- Reset both phones
- Take the sim from the 6s and swap it with the one in the 5s? I think?
- Restore both phones

That sound right?

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

noirstronaut posted:

This doesn't seem like insurance fraud at all. Real insurance fraud is buying a phone for super cheap, swapping the backing alone, and editing a few files to match the serial numbers via software, then claiming your phone was damaged to have 2 new phones for essentially an overall cost of $200

You're right, I was thinking of some else and "insurance fraud" is what stuck in my mind. But even then, I misunderstood what he was asking about, so it's moot either way.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

Rocco posted:

Sorry if I missed discussion of this in the thread, but regarding this new Apple upgrade plan (the thing where you pay like $32 a month just to have the new phone every year)- I want to do that AND I want the iPhone 6S, so can I log on at midnight tomorrow and sign up for that? What do I need to do? Did they make that clear anywhere?

Wondering about this too

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

noirstronaut posted:

Wondering about this too

I was just doing some research for this. You can get online and do it at 12:01 PDT on Saturday, but what you're doing is reserving the phone and that's it. You have to go a nearby Apple store and have a credit check done to get approved.

I've been going back and forth on how I want to order my new phone. I think I've finally settled on going through Apple because

- A new phone every year sounds good
- I haven't seen a non-Apple phone I've liked in years
- I like the idea of not being locked into a contract with AT&T
- The additional cost seems like it would be offset by getting Apple Care.
- I rarely sell my old phones second hand (so my various sisters and cousins might get upset and not getting my old phones, but oh well)

This Ars article broke everything down pretty well.

EC fucked around with this message at 11:48 on Sep 11, 2015

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

spongeworthy posted:

I don't like it either. It looks like the ctrl-tab '3D' app switch on Windows that I don't like either. I thought the old version looked good and was more functional, even though I didn't use the stuff they put above/below the multitask bar.

I'll get used to it, and it's not too bad if you're just switching between current/last used app, but yeah. Didn't like it on WWDC demo, don't like it now.

Anya
Nov 3, 2004
"If you have information worth hearing, then I am grateful for it. If you're gonna crack jokes, then I'm gonna pull out your ribcage and wear it as a hat."

EC posted:

I was just doing some research for this. You can get online and do it at 12:01 PDT on Saturday, but what you're doing is reserving the phone and that's it. You have to go a nearby Apple store and have a credit check done to get approved.

I've been going back and forth on how I want to order my new phone. I think I've finally settled on going through Apple because

- I rarely sell my old phones second hand (so my various sisters and cousins might get upset and not getting my old phones, but oh well)

You have to go to an Apple Store for a credit check? Well, that defeats it for me, the nearest one is 2+ hrs away.

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003
Does my current status with AT&T (not eligible for upgrade until Mar 2016) have any effect on whether or not Apple will put me on their lease program? It's unclear*

*maybe it's because no one knows yet?

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
For those of us in the UK, Halifax cards are now supported by Apple Pay.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I don't ever think my (crappy, but good for foreign transactions) Aqua card is ever likely to see it. Annoying, as it's more convenient to use Apple Pay than it is to fish out my wallet and go through chip+pin for purchases.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Ireland banks STILL don't support Apple pay, even though we've had Contactless for years (McDonalds and a few other places here actually supports Apple Pay for foreign customers) and we're moving on to the 2nd phone that has Pay (we don't have Apple Watches either)

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
It was actually an Irish owned bank that I moved away from over to Halifax, partially for that very reason. Northern Ireland is a bit of a mess for banking, two of our most popular ones - First Trust Bank and Danske Bank (formally Northern Bank) - are Irish and Danish owned respectively and so aren't eligible for Apple Pay.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

Question Mark Mound posted:

For those of us in the UK, Halifax cards are now supported by Apple Pay.

More importantly, Lloyds (and Bank of Scotland; all three banks are part of Lloyds Group) are now supporting Apple Pay.

Barclays are still trying to flog bPay onto people.

Brain In A Jar
Apr 21, 2008

I had a quick look in the OP but couldn't seen an FAQ about this, or a link to anywhere else about it.

Recently, the rear camera on my iPhone 5 poo poo itself and no longer works / opens the shutter. Internet support has been... less than useful. Half of the internet suggests resetting your phone over and over until it works, like some sort of iOS8 update cargo cult worshiper. The other half recommends slamming my phone against a hard surface until the gods themselves deign that my camera has come back in contact with the pins it's loose from.

I've tried both of these methods and managed to get nowhere. Does anyone here have some more insight into whether it's a hardware or software problem? I'd rather not throw away $100+ on replacing my camera if I don't need to, but on the other hand, it would be nice to actually use this overpriced piece of poo poo for the thing it was advertised as being good at.

uninterrupted
Jun 20, 2011

spongeworthy posted:

I actually really miss the old app switcher where you'd just get the last four app icons pop up at the bottom of the screen, and you could just swipe left for more.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

uninterrupted posted:

I actually really miss the old app switcher where you'd just get the last four app icons pop up at the bottom of the screen, and you could just swipe left for more.

Oh yeah, that one was quite neat too. I don't think the current one will stick around, maybe it works better on iPads or something though?

A little touch I like, though - double click home button on the lock screen takes you into Wallet straight away. Nice and fast. Doesn't replace any existing function from what I can tell either, and it's pretty natural.

e: also the 'you'll get better battery life' thing seems to be legit from my own anecdotal experiences. I haven't even touched low power mode yet, but I'm going to bed with a lot more juice than I was before. As someone who suffered one of the iPhone 5S bad battery batches for 8 months, it's a relief to not be plugging my phone in permanently.

EL BROMANCE fucked around with this message at 14:47 on Sep 11, 2015

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Brain In A Jar posted:

I had a quick look in the OP but couldn't seen an FAQ about this, or a link to anywhere else about it.

Recently, the rear camera on my iPhone 5 poo poo itself and no longer works / opens the shutter. Internet support has been... less than useful. Half of the internet suggests resetting your phone over and over until it works, like some sort of iOS8 update cargo cult worshiper. The other half recommends slamming my phone against a hard surface until the gods themselves deign that my camera has come back in contact with the pins it's loose from.

I've tried both of these methods and managed to get nowhere. Does anyone here have some more insight into whether it's a hardware or software problem? I'd rather not throw away $100+ on replacing my camera if I don't need to, but on the other hand, it would be nice to actually use this overpriced piece of poo poo for the thing it was advertised as being good at.

There's now a large number of people throwing up hardware issues with the iPhone 5, largely because it's 3 years old and that's the break-point of a lot of electronic devices. 2 people in my circle of friends have replaced theirs very recently as they failed; mine broke earlier in the year (wifi issues).
If you want a cheap replacement an unlocked 5 is $120-150 on eBay, or a bit less if you match your carrier to a carrier locked device.

The issue you describe seems to pop up a lot; there's no magic fix and if whacking it gets it working again, it likely won't be for long.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
Are there any cases for iPhone 6 out there that are similar to the official Apple leather case, but with just a bit more room between the case and the back of the phone to be able to store a card or two in there? I've seen plenty of cases with a slot on the back of the case to store cards, but those are ugly and I hate them, plus I don't really need easy access to the card(s) I'm storing.

My reason for needing this is that i would like to be able to store my access card for work on my phone. Assuming I find a case that I like, would keeping my (presumably RFID) access card in there screw up my ability to use ApplePay?

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

OldSenileGuy posted:

Are there any cases for iPhone 6 out there that are similar to the official Apple leather case, but with just a bit more room between the case and the back of the phone to be able to store a card or two in there? I've seen plenty of cases with a slot on the back of the case to store cards, but those are ugly and I hate them, plus I don't really need easy access to the card(s) I'm storing.

My reason for needing this is that i would like to be able to store my access card for work on my phone. Assuming I find a case that I like, would keeping my (presumably RFID) access card in there screw up my ability to use ApplePay?

My dad would tell you to just buy some low profile Velcro and put the fuzzy strip on the phone and spiky strip on the card.

Everything he owns is covered in fuzzy or spiky Velcro based on some arcane convenience logic.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

OldSenileGuy posted:

How thicken is the access card? I have a cheap silicone case on my phone that I will occasionally keep a thin card or cloak room ticket inside. There's no pocket, but anything super thin will fit in behind the phone.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

EC posted:

I like how the Apple Store app has a thing to remember your upgrade details so you can pre-order easier, but (and I'm guessing this is AT&T's fault) it won't actually let you complete the process because the phone isn't available yet.

Yeah, seriously.

"Get all your info pre-saved for faster processing come midnight!"

* saves nothing*

:|

flipoff
Nov 25, 2003

Really, bitch?

EC posted:

Another point that remains to be seen is what you can do with it after activation. All the fine print says is it requires activation on a big 4 carrier. If your phone is decoupled from your carrier, theoretically at that point you could give the carrier the finger and hop on a prepaid plan for much less. My opinion is this is just a precursor to apple launching their own MVNO plans in a year or 2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Question Mark Mound posted:

How thicken is the access card? I have a cheap silicone case on my phone that I will occasionally keep a thin card or cloak room ticket inside. There's no pocket, but anything super thin will fit in behind the phone.

I was thinking you could also just cut a slit or small square out of the back of the phone with a craft knife.