Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

JFairfax posted:

How do you avoid playing football in primary school?

Very carefully.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

T Bowl
Feb 6, 2006

Shut up DUMMY

Shrapnig posted:

Very carefully.

In Chicago

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Chiunque può essere Luther Blissett, semplicemente adottando il nome Luther Blissett

stickyfngrdboy posted:

I'm not sure you understood my point, but United fans must stick together during these difficult times

Well, both of you are having a pedants argument about poo poo that doesn't matter.

Van Gaal is someone who's come in with a history of winning things, that's really not something that should be in question. And broadly speaking, I'm happy with the players that he's brought in. Blind has been great, Shaw is starting to come good now, and I'm really positive about Darmian, Schneiderlin and Schweinsteiger, particularly since they were players in positions we actually needed to strengthen. Obviously Falcao and Di Maria didn't work out, but it seems pretty asinine to suggest that either were particularly Van Gaal's fault.

I still think that Moyes is a good manager and that in some alternate universe he could have done well, ideally if Woodward had been able to give him proper support in strengthening the team last September, but ultimately he didn't seem ready to manage a top-level team and by the end he'd clearly lost the dressing room. It's all well and good to blame the old guard for that, and they certainly have some share of the blame, but I can't imagine a world in which Clough or Lippi or Ferguson would have been completely undone by an argument with Rio loving Ferdinand over whether or not he can have chips for lunch. At that point, unless you're going to get rid of literally the entire squad and start from scratch, it doesn't really work to say that you could give Moyes the same money to buy new people in.

Don't get me wrong, I'd have loved to have seen someone like Klopp or Simeone come in, but as managers go that's a much bigger gamble than Van Gaal.

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY
I enjoyed Taff's story about growing from a young gay boy into a United plastic.

Hoops
Aug 19, 2005

A Black Mark For Retarded Posting
There's pretty much no such thing as long term managers. Everyone is always on about "appointments for the long term" but English football fans who basically grew up with Ferguson and Wenger have the idea it's not a massive anomaly. Giggs might come in after Van Gaal but he'll be there for three years, not 20.

Once Wenger goes, are there any managers in Europe who've been there more than 5 years?

Edit: real leagues I mean, not some old fucker in Norway who's been there since the 70s

Hoops fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Sep 10, 2015

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

blue footed boobie posted:

I enjoyed Taff's story about growing from a young gay boy into a United plastic.

Same

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire
Reminder Taff has been to more United games in person that most of you turds have even seen on television.

T Bowl
Feb 6, 2006

Shut up DUMMY

Gigi Galli posted:

Reminder Taff has been to more United games in person that most of you turds have even seen on television.

Living in the same country helps.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

T Bowl posted:

Living in the same country helps.

He's Welsh.

T Bowl
Feb 6, 2006

Shut up DUMMY

Shrapnig posted:

He's Welsh.

State, whatever. It's all backwards over there.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

Shrapnig posted:

He's Welsh.

Now you're just taking this bullying too far.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

This thread is rapidly getting extremely terrible. This kind of poo poo:

Shrapnig posted:

Very carefully.

T Bowl posted:

In Chicago

Barvo posted:

Same, but Man City

is bad. Do not drown out the good posts with this kind of incredibly weak rear end burn poo poo. Don't take every opportunity to repeat a tired meme. Only warning.

T Bowl
Feb 6, 2006

Shut up DUMMY

Hoops posted:

Once Wenger goes, are there any managers in Europe who've been there more than 5 years?

It's going to be weird when he goes as an Arsenal fan, and although United were in the same feeling with Ferguson, that's all rapidly changed for them obviously. Wenger has been there so long i'd imagine no fans on this forum remember much time without him, not to mention how little he changes his squad year to year.

It will be exciting i'm sure when he is off and someone else comes in, but the squad possibly being half different every season or two and the uncertainties most other clubs are used to will be anxiety inducing and, dare I say, a tad emotional as well.

Barvo
Feb 19, 2008

by Ralp

Gigi Galli posted:

This thread is rapidly getting extremely terrible. This kind of poo poo:

is bad. Do not drown out the good posts with this kind of incredibly weak rear end burn poo poo. Don't take every opportunity to repeat a tired meme. Only warning.

Lmao taffs post was actually pretty dumb and no one cares. If it was some American Arsenal fan typing up 8 paragraphs of poo poo about how their gay uncle first dressed them in a Barcelona kit but then they fell in love with Arsenal he would have been flamed mercilessly and you probably would have jumped in. And rightfully so.

Also the first post following Taff's tragic story of Man U fandom was your boy grez dropping the worst of memes, good job not quoting that.

It's a 2 week international break and there's nothing going on, let the thread live and sort itself out IMHO

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

jyrka
Jan 21, 2005

Potato Count: 2 small potatoes

Hoops posted:

The longest tenured manager in the "big 5 leagues" after Wenger is Christophe Galtier at Saint-Étienne. He's been there since 2009. There are 2 more managers in the Ligue 1 since 2010 and 1 in Serie A. Most have been at the job less than 2 years.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

Barvo posted:

Lmao taffs post was actually pretty dumb and no one cares. If it was some American Arsenal fan typing up 8 paragraphs of poo poo about how their gay uncle first dressed them in a Barcelona kit but then they fell in love with Arsenal he would have been flamed mercilessly and you probably would have jumped in. And rightfully so.

Also the first post following Taff's tragic story of Man U fandom was your boy grez dropping the worst of memes, good job not quoting that.

It's a 2 week international break and there's nothing going on, let the thread live and sort itself out IMHO

It's a pile of poo poo posts and there is plenty to talk about, there are matches in two days ffs. Also stop evading probation.

TelekineticBear!
Feb 19, 2009

Im glad there will be real games again, the international break directly after the end of the transfer window is probably the worst one in the entire season

Blue Star Error
Jun 11, 2001

For this recipie you will need:
Football match (Halftime of), Celebrity Owner (Motivational speaking of), Sherry (Bottle of)

Hoops posted:

Giggs might come in after Van Gaal but he'll be there for three years, not 20.

He'll be lucky to get 3 months

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003
Woodward's Win95 password protected PDF scheme is paying off. :D

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/football/34215312

The Big Taff Man
Nov 22, 2005

Official Manchester United Posting Partner 2015/16
Fan of Britches

JFairfax posted:

How do you avoid playing football in primary school?

I didnt avoid playing football in primary school, I just had no care for a team outside of playing the game at school.

PirateBob posted:

LVG is a genius

Elliptical Dick
Oct 11, 2008

I made the bald man cry
into the turtle stew

PirateBob posted:

loving lol if this pans out

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY
There are some tasty fwiggin fixtures tomorrow
E: gently caress tomorrow is friday

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
king kenny was the best manager of all time there i said it

Broletariat
Nov 14, 2014

Brendan Rodgers posted:

Hey back then a poster of Shearer was like gold and you bet you're putting it up on your wall even if you hated Newcastle. Kids these days with their internet.

its not having the poster, it's the idea of a non-United shame cupboard.

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

I'm not sure if this is bullshit but there's stuff going around on Twitter that Courtois is out for at least 10 weeks with a miniscus injury.

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006
More reputable places have picked it up too. Glad we have Begovic as backup.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
mendes is in manchester to sort out a new contract for de gea. i guess signing martial for all the money made mendes happy

Andre Le Fuckface
Oct 4, 2008

:pwm:

blue footed boobie posted:

There are some tasty fwiggin fixtures tomorrow
E: gently caress tomorrow is friday

Agreed, Reading v Ipswich is shaping up to be a monster

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Jose posted:

mendes is in manchester to sort out a new contract for de gea. i guess signing martial for all the money made mendes happy

Martial wasnt a mendes client though?

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
I am looking forward to seeing Kevin De Bruyne play tomorrow.

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006
I am not looking forward to Ivanovich playing this weekend.

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013

The Big Taff Man posted:

HERES MY BORING FOOTBALL FANDOM HISTORY

I dont think I'd support a Welsh team at all, Swansea is a over an hour away and Cardiff was about 40 minutes away. I only remember one guy in my school supporting one of them, and he wasnt in my year. Where I went to school it was all Arsenal, Liverpool and United. You rarely saw anyone in any other top.

I didnt get into football till I was 11 and was about to go to comprehensive school which was all boys. My dad was not into any sports and I'd not really been because of that. Cause I was going to an all boys school I thought it was a good idea to get into either rugby or football as they were the two things boys talked most about, and I chose football. I ended up supporting United because while my group of friends were mainly Liverpool or United fans, my best friend at school supported them and my Aunty and Uncle had season tickets so were mad fans for them. They took me to my first United game, and a bunch of others.

Theres actually pics of me when I was really young in a full Liverpool kit, I asked my mum about it and she said my dad bought it for me and I wore it like twice and never again.

My grandad was (and still is) on the Welsh FA so we used to get free tickets to every Wales home game spot on the halfway line just behind the directors box. Ive got a couple of autograph books full of signatures because my grandad used to get them for me, but then he'd give me the book back and wouldnt be able to remember who signed what page and I'd have to try and work out which was Robbie Savage and which was Neville Southall. Probably my favourite match ever for Wales was when they opened the Millenium stadium and played Brazil and there were loads of Brazilian fans near us going mental for Denilson all game (he didnt come on till like the 70th minute and then fell over with his first touch)

I always had a soft spot for the chels tho, my wall used to be covered in posters from shoot or match magazine for United but on the inside of my cupboard door I had pics of some of my fave players from other teams and it was mainly Zola, Gullit and Di Matteo. My other uncle supported them but he's always been more into rugby so didnt talk about it as much.

So to answer your question if I hadnt supported United I think I would have supported Liverpool or the Chels.

literally a closet Chelsea fan

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Ian Wright says English football needs Martial to be a success at United.

Meanwhile Andre Ayew has won player of the month for getting his noggin on the end of a few crosses. Gomis was robbed.

Ninpo
Aug 6, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
De Gea has signed a new four year deal with an option to extend another year.

Hardflip
Jul 21, 2007

Ninpo posted:

De Gea has signed a new four year deal with an option to extend another year.

lmao

i'm guessing he has a super high release clause too

Lot 49
Dec 7, 2007

I'll do anything
For my sweet sixteen
Absolutely fantastic news.

I expect he'll have a clause allowing him to leave if Madrid bid a certain amount but worst case now is United keep their best player for another year and then get a good payout. Kudos to Woodward.

Elliptical Dick
Oct 11, 2008

I made the bald man cry
into the turtle stew
lmao at the De Gea deal. Good work by United

Manc Hill
Jul 19, 2001

^^this is u ^^this is me
it's like a new signing

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
His wages must be insane. He had such a strong bargaining position after the Romero shitshow at Swansea.

He'll be laughing all the way to La Liga in January.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

T Bowl
Feb 6, 2006

Shut up DUMMY
I'd imagine he forced them to put in a clause for specifically Madrid to come buy him at a reasonable price. Great for United to lock him down either way.

• Locked thread