Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

absolutely anything posted:

i hate anime and will only engage with miku's american cousin, Hatsune Mike

i appreciated this post

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

hopeandjoy posted:

because vocaloid is loving weird and no matter how much i try and ignore the shittier parts of the fandom they keep slapping me in the face

Until you posted I had zero idea of the fandom or the shittier parts of and now that I do I can honestly say that I couldn't care less because I just like playing the j-pop rhythm game and caring about anything else is dumb.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Endorph posted:

i dont think were allowed to do that after aatrek

loving lol.

AfroGunsou
Dec 8, 2009

:yeah:
idk the new miku game looks okay

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0fWEk1OjbLA

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

LBX update: The Pro Ranking matches are incredibly difficult and entirely unfair. I've managed to beat one of the fights in Pro Rank B, but before I even consider tackling the rest of them I'm probably going to have to run Champion Class in the Artemis Legends tournament like 100 times to get my 4-5 main machines up to AC 200. I guess that isn't terrible because you get BP for doing it but it's pretty awful that there's no faster way to level AC past 150.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
If you have about $3 to spend on the eShop, AiRace Speed is a fun few hours of flying down tunnels trying not to smash into the walls.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Does it still cost $250 + require an old model to stream a 3DS or did someone actually make a cheaper alternative?

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Shadow Ninja 64 posted:

LBX update: The Pro Ranking matches are incredibly difficult and entirely unfair. I've managed to beat one of the fights in Pro Rank B, but before I even consider tackling the rest of them I'm probably going to have to run Champion Class in the Artemis Legends tournament like 100 times to get my 4-5 main machines up to AC 200. I guess that isn't terrible because you get BP for doing it but it's pretty awful that there's no faster way to level AC past 150.

Where the hell does ranking even come into it? I'm still sitting only about 20 hours in and I'm like rank G and I have to assume this rolls up later, but it seems like it's years away.

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution

Countblanc posted:

Does it still cost $250 + require an old model to stream a 3DS or did someone actually make a cheaper alternative?
As far as I'm aware, they're still pretty expensive, but there are XL capture cards in addition to regular 3DS capture cards.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

Fix posted:

Where the hell does ranking even come into it? I'm still sitting only about 20 hours in and I'm like rank G and I have to assume this rolls up later, but it seems like it's years away.

I think they're not available at all until the postgame. You access them from the save points in the Wireless Menu. It'll be the bottom option.

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠
After trying the Demo, Project Mirai came across as a Theaterythym clone, but with 1/4th the songs, no content other then dress up, only one song mode (vs 3 in FFTCC), and all of the songs sound the drat same, all for twice what I paid for FFTCC.

Are their any songs from PM that don't song like an already high pitched girl just got dangerously drunk off of helium and stumbled into the worst techno dance club of all time? Like can I expect Miku to drop a song like this: Which would be great

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

If you're asking if there's anything other j-pop not really, because that's what's popular.
Rhythm games didn't start with Theatrhythm you know, to me that looks like an Ouendan clone.
And it has less music because a) it's not pulling on thirty years worth of games for its soundtrack and b) Sega has to licence each song separately from its publisher, which costs money, whereas Square already owns the rights to every song in TR.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Why don't they do a Diva game that's all Sega tunes, minus the vocaloid tunes and the divas and everything else but We Are Burning Rangers?

Original_Z
Jun 14, 2005
Z so good
I don't know why but while playing the miku demo, I got a really bad headache, it's the only game that's had that affect on me. Maybe I should try again with no 3D, but no other game has ever gotten me sick like that before.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Sakurazuka posted:

Until you posted I had zero idea of the fandom or the shittier parts of and now that I do I can honestly say that I couldn't care less because I just like playing the j-pop rhythm game and caring about anything else is dumb.
also i don't really get how that dude's posts get across the 'lovely' part of the fandom, lol

the weird-rear end cannibalism song didn't really come across as like, sexual or anything. it was just a dude using miku to make a weird-rear end song. miku is a program, you can use her to make a weird-rear end song if you want.

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠
I cannot see that little blinky cursore thing that shows you where the letters are going, so this is going to rough to type...

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Why don't they do a Diva game that's all Sega tunes, minus the vocaloid tunes and the divas and everything else but We Are Burning Rangers?

All companies should do a Theaterythym type game. Nintendo and Capcom would be amazing.

Endorph posted:

the weird-rear end cannibalism song didn't really come across as like, sexual or anything. it was just a dude using miku to make a weird-rear end song. miku is a program, you can use her to make a weird-rear end song if you want.

I think most people understand that not everything in Anime is awful, but it's just that the weirdness is way more accepted as a part of the mainstream of the culture of the product.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

I would buy the poo poo out of a Falcom ost rhythm game

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Anora posted:

is way more accepted as a part of the mainstream of the culture of the product.
it kind of isn't though

ovenboy
Nov 16, 2014

So, I've just ordered a New 3DSXL and Zelda: A Link Between Worlds, and it'll hopefully turn up in a couple of more days. I'm currently trying to figure out which other games I should get, and I'm a bit at a loss since the only hand-held games I've played are a couple of ones on the old DS and I haven't kept up with the market at all (I also don't know what game "media" I can trust to give me decent recommendations). So I figure I should try and get the goon opinion on what games are considered must haves for this system. I'm currently reading through skimming the first 30 and the last 30 pages of this thread to get a feel of things. So, what are the must haves of this, and the last, generation of DS?
I tend to like Zeldas, plattformers, wRPGs, puzzle games, and quirky Nintendo poo poo.

EDIT: I'm contemplating Majora's Mask, Luigi's Mansion, Donkey Kong Returns.

ovenboy fucked around with this message at 12:17 on Sep 11, 2015

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013

Anora posted:

After trying the Demo, Project Mirai came across as a Theaterythym clone, but with 1/4th the songs, no content other then dress up, only one song mode (vs 3 in FFTCC), and all of the songs sound the drat same, all for twice what I paid for FFTCC.

Are their any songs from PM that don't song like an already high pitched girl just got dangerously drunk off of helium and stumbled into the worst techno dance club of all time? Like can I expect Miku to drop a song like this: Which would be great

I posted a video link last page which has a brief clip from each of the 48 songs in the game. If you watch it (it's about 8 minutes long) and don't hear anything that you think you would like to hear again then Miku probably isn't for you.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
The only thing I care about with Project Diva is whether or not it has the dancing alpaca song.

glassyalabolas
Oct 21, 2006
I want to bowl with the gangsters...

ovenboy posted:

So, I've just ordered a New 3DSXL and Zelda: A Link Between Worlds, and it'll hopefully turn up in a couple of more days. I'm currently trying to figure out which other games I should get, and I'm a bit at a loss since the only hand-held games I've played are a couple of ones on the old DS and I haven't kept up with the market at all (I also don't know what game "media" I can trust to give me decent recommendations). So I figure I should try and get the goon opinion on what games are considered must haves for this system. I'm currently reading through skimming the first 30 and the last 30 pages of this thread to get a feel of things. So, what are the must haves of this, and the last, generation of DS?
I tend to like Zeldas, plattformers, wRPGs, puzzle games, and quirky Nintendo poo poo.

Ocarina of Time 3DS
Majora's Mask 3DS
Zelda Oracle series on the eShop
The World Ends with You (OG DS title)
Starfy was surprisingly good IMO
Bowser's Inside Story for (OG DS)
Animal Crossing: New Leaf
Xenoblade if you can get over the graphics (which I did)

My wife is having fun with Puzzle and Dragons Super Marion Edition, although she's gonna play the poo poo out of Happy Home Designer

I'm into LBX right now

I'll add more titles when I crack open my box of games tonight.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

ovenboy posted:

Well, first up there's Super Mario 3D Land, which is a Mario game and therefore excellent. Even among Mario games it stands out as one of the best, though. Definitely a must-buy.

If you don't have Shovel Knight on any of the other platforms it's available on, you can get it on your 3DS for some platforming goodness. For more platforming goodness, there's also Donkey Kong Returns 3D, unless you already played it on the Wii. (Or hey, even if you did and want to play it again?)

Dunno if there are any wRPGs on the thing... there are a wide variety of JRPGs on the thing, for sure. If you like those at all, there's a lot I could recommend!

I'm going to throw out a recommendation for the Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney Trilogy, which is on the eShop, because it is all kinds of fantastic and I'm pretty sure you missed out on them unless you played the lovely iOS ports. (Please don't play the lovely iOS ports.)

In the category of "quirky Nintendo poo poo," two games in particular come to mind: Animal Crossing New Leaf and Kid Icarus Uprising. Both completely different games, both as quirky Nintendo as it gets.

Oh, and keep in mind the 3DS can also play regular DS games, so you have that massive amazing library to draw on as well!

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013

ovenboy posted:

If you like old dungeon crawler wRPGs you might try the Etrian Odyssey series. Yeah the art is all anime but they're very much like the old PC RPGs like Bard's Tale and Might and Magic.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

ovenboy posted:

I really don't know if it will fit into your wheelhouse but I strongly recommend Virtue's Last Reward, it's a top three 3DS game for me. The downside is that its a sequel so if you haven't played the first game (999) there's that but god drat was it worth it.

If you have any passing interest in JRPGs there is also Shin Megami Tensei IV and Bravely Default.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

ovenboy posted:

I'd say Majora's Mask if you've never played it before. It is not a traditional zelda, and a lot of people are really bothered by its 3-day time loop (3 days is plenty of time to do a dungeon once you have access to it).

There's not much for you as far as wRPGs go. I'll second Etrian Odyssey 4. If you don't mind the anime art style of the characters, it is a very challenging party-based dungeon crawler. I still think it's more like a JRPG in its execution, but you can tell where its roots are. The various character classes interact with each other in a way that creates interesting synergies, and that along with the difficulty of the encounters makes most fights surprisingly tense and strategic.

3DS has been getting a lot of indie games lately. If you don't have a PC or you really want to play them on a portable system, I'd look into some of those. Definitely play Shovel Knight- it's like Mega Man and Duck Tales fell into a suit of armor.

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠

Endorph posted:

it kind of isn't though

I was in for Cowboy Bebop and the Gundams, I got right the gently caress out when I saw poo poo like Sister Princess started showing up en-masse on ADVs VoD service (link :nms: for those that can read the title and figure out what's going on). You are deluding yourself to think that some hyper weird poo poo like that isn't more mainstream in anime as a whole then it is in video games.

Also, apparently that thing has a GBA game, so it's sort of relevant to the thread.

ovenboy posted:

N3DS stuff

Xenoblade Chronicles and Monster Hunter 4 might be up your alley. You also might want to look into the PicrossE series.

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

Oh, the harem animes that were brand spanking new in the 2000's.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
There's a western-made RPG on the eShop called The Keep that's pretty decent, it's very similar to Legend of Grimrock and other real-time dungeon crawlers of that ilk.

The Pushmo series (Pushmo/Crashmo/Stretchmo, or Pullblox/Fallblox/Fullblox in Europe) are fun block-pushing games by Nintendo/Intelligent Systems; they ech have their own gimmicks and rules so they're not direct sequels as such, but they're all worth playing.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Anora posted:

I was in for Cowboy Bebop and the Gundams, I got right the gently caress out when I saw poo poo like Sister Princess started showing up en-masse on ADVs VoD service (link :nms: for those that can read the title and figure out what's going on). You are deluding yourself to think that some hyper weird poo poo like that isn't more mainstream in anime as a whole then it is in video games
no, I mean that the average Japanese person thinks that poo poo is very very weird too.

also how does the weird stuff existing somehow taint the non-weird stuff. cowboy bebop isn't suddenly weird just because sister princess exists.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

There are gross and depraved comics made in America but if you said that the people who like Marvel movies like to jack it to those then you would be rightfully called crazy

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

A lot of that stuff is really niche, basically

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Srice posted:

There are gross and depraved comics made in America but if you said that the people who like Marvel movies like to jack it to those then you would be rightfully called crazy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mDBM8lwVmQo

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

Srice posted:

The weird (or just plain bad) stuff in Anime makes up the vast majority of it though. I watch anime, I enjoy it, but man do I have to swim through so much poo poo to find anything good.

Dr. Chainsaws PhD
May 21, 2011

Mega Comrade posted:

The weird (or just plain bad) stuff in Anime makes up the vast majority of it though. I watch anime, I enjoy it, but man do I have to swim through so much poo poo to find anything good.

That's true for anything, though. Just look at the eShop.

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

Mega Comrade posted:

The weird (or just plain bad) stuff in books makes up the vast majority of them though. I read books, I enjoy them, but man do I have to swim through so much poo poo to find anything good.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!
If you mean books for young adults sure. That works. Because that's the ultimate flaw with most anime, its aimed at children or teenagers and with most things aimed at those age groups, they're mostly poo poo.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

honestly stuff aimed at adults doesn't have that much better of a batting ratio.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

the majority of your posts are poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

Mega Comrade posted:

If you mean books for young adults sure. That works. Because that's the ultimate flaw with most anime, its aimed at children or teenagers and with most things aimed at those age groups, they're mostly poo poo.

You're deluded if you think anime's problem is that it's aimed at a young demographic. Network television is just as bad. Like, most shows get one season before getting canceled because not enough people liked them