Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

Ratzap posted:

On a different note, has anyone tried setting up a cannibal colony?

If this has only just occurred to you then you have been playing the game all wrong my friend

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

Flesh Forge posted:

If this has only just occurred to you then you have been playing the game all wrong my friend

Cut me some slack, I only picked it up a few days ago. I just rolled up a new world and 3 cannibals to go live on it. The storyteller comes up with some pretty funny crap though. A wanderer joined my merry band just as they were running out of rations. The hunter shot at a tortoise but only clipped it, the tortoise got mad and attacked the newcomer killing her. The cannibals finish off the tortoise (shooting the dog in the process) and then cart all the corpses off to chop up. You can almost hear the game going 'welp, Feeb will taste better than tortoise right?'

TheOmegaWalrus
Feb 3, 2007

by Hand Knit
Has anyone successfully treated an instance of the flu?

I'll usually amputate a limb before it sucks up 8x medipacks through infections, but the flu just seems like a protracted unwinnable battle.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

TheOmegaWalrus posted:

Has anyone successfully treated an instance of the flu?

I'll usually amputate a limb before it sucks up 8x medipacks through infections, but the flu just seems like a protracted unwinnable battle.

It's quite easy. The key thing for infections (which you can treat with herbal medicine) is to make sure the person is in bed.

Being in bed increases your immunity gain rate, the best bed is a hospital bed with a vitals monitor next to it, but you can see the immunity gain speed boost when you view the bed's info panel.

Older colonists gain immunity slower (age weakening immune system) and essentially you're in a bit of a race between the disease and the immunity, so keep them in a hospital bed and make sure to treat the disease regularly, even no medicine will be better than leaving it untreated (presumably cupping and leeches are helpful, somehow) I don't know how treatment exactly interacts but I guess it slows down the disease progression? But generally if you have a doctor on call (you always should) and they're in bed, they'll get regular treatment even without medicine, and that should, hopefully, prevent death. Herbal medicine and normal bedrest works on most any uninjured, non-aged colonist. Older colonists will need a medical bed and possibly better medicine/doctor skills to survive, as you'd expect.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Sep 8, 2015

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Yeah as soon as a person contracts the flu you should be sending them for treatment when the "soand so is sick :ohdear:" message pops up. I've lost a colonist to the flu once but never when I go to the trouble of micromanaging them a little bit.

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

Ratzap posted:

Cut me some slack, I only picked it up a few days ago. I just rolled up a new world and 3 cannibals to go live on it. The storyteller comes up with some pretty funny crap though. A wanderer joined my merry band just as they were running out of rations. The hunter shot at a tortoise but only clipped it, the tortoise got mad and attacked the newcomer killing her. The cannibals finish off the tortoise (shooting the dog in the process) and then cart all the corpses off to chop up. You can almost hear the game going 'welp, Feeb will taste better than tortoise right?'

Don't forget to make their skin into fetching clothing!

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

"yes James. Remove that from my presence. It... Offends me" *sips overpriced wine*

Sub Rosa posted:

I think it is significant that I can't play Dwarf Fortress without intentionally making several sacrifices in order to not have a lovely FPS almost immediately, and yet still my forts become unplayable due to FPS often before I even get around to building a military. Not that that matters considering how broken seiges are at actually bothering to show up.

1) Don't play on a shoebox.
2) Rimworld will be there in a couple updates.

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Wine can of their wits the wise beguile,
Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile.
I play Rimworld on a Chromebook that has Ubuntu installed on top of the ChromeOS kernal and it runs very well even into the lategame.

Also, fluchat, it is imperative that you change the medication specifications for the patient to herbal or worse. There's no benefit to using regular medicine in that case.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Gibbo posted:

1) Don't play on a shoebox.
2) Rimworld will be there in a couple updates.

No, there are people with brand new PCs who have real problems with DF's current version especially when the trees are blooming and fruit is dropping from trees and whatnot. It looks great and it has some really wonderful and awesome features but Toady really needs to work on performance for a while.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Ratzap posted:

Events seem to happen rather often. As in things falling out of the sky once a week, that's more like Piccadilly circus than a lonely rimworld. I built a first radio last night and looked at the trade list, noticing dogs were worth about a thousand bucks I thought I'd sell my mutt. They'd give me 60 for him - bloody thing is almost blind and has dementia, it's not even worth a single chicken.

Less Incident Trolling is what you're looking for.

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

"yes James. Remove that from my presence. It... Offends me" *sips overpriced wine*

Flesh Forge posted:

No, there are people with brand new PCs who have real problems with DF's current version especially when the trees are blooming and fruit is dropping from trees and whatnot. It looks great and it has some really wonderful and awesome features but Toady really needs to work on performance for a while.

You can have a brand new shoebox. (He really does though)

Drunk in Space
Dec 1, 2009
I don't think I've ever lost someone to flu and I don't even bother micromanaging the problem. The main issue with flu is how long it takes to work through even a relatively young person's system, especially now that colonists tend to stay bedridden while ill, unlike previous versions where they would happily toil away even with pustules all over their body so long as the disease hadn't reached its 'extreme' state.

The bedridden thing is something Tynan needs to work on when he gets back. I'm having so many colonists break and go apeshit in the medical bay because of the sickness/pain mood penalty and their inability to fulfill joy needs while stuck in bed. He should probably either drastically reduce their joy requirements or eliminate it entirely like he did with prisoners in the end.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
What I've found helps with the whole "bedridden people go insane" thing is to draft them occasionally and drag them outside briefly. Ends the cabin fever issues, and they generally go and talk to someone before going back to bed which ends the totally joy deprived. Not too bad a hit for sickness and keeps them sane.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak

Azhais posted:

What I've found helps with the whole "bedridden people go insane" thing is to draft them occasionally and drag them outside briefly. Ends the cabin fever issues, and they generally go and talk to someone before going back to bed which ends the totally joy deprived. Not too bad a hit for sickness and keeps them sane.

yeah, but this is too micro-managery. Patients should be compelled to get up and go for a wander before going completely crazy, or have their joy need fulfilled by colonists visiting them or something.

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Dear Tynan, please continue making your game. There are still complete sperglords that think DF is playable by people that have touched boobs. I hope you become rich by demonstrating how ridiculously out of touch (ha!) they are.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Hey man just because I haven't touched a boob in a couple of decades doesn't mean I never have ever ok

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Your mum doesnt count

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

Inacio posted:

Less Incident Trolling is what you're looking for.

I had installed your mod pack so that should have been in. Then I found that, like Factorio, mods much be enabled after dropping into the folder. So the next time I play should be a surprise ;)

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

Ratzap posted:

I built a first radio last night and looked at the trade list, noticing dogs were worth about a thousand bucks I thought I'd sell my mutt. They'd give me 60 for him - bloody thing is almost blind and has dementia, it's not even worth a single chicken

I haven't played much with the new animals system. Do you mean an actual mutt? Can the different breeds of dogs interbreed and produce mutts?

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

Sub Rosa posted:

I haven't played much with the new animals system. Do you mean an actual mutt? Can the different breeds of dogs interbreed and produce mutts?

I think it's labelled as a labrador, I was using 'mutt' as a pejorative expression in order to convey my disgust at having been given a 12 year old, blind and demented dog by the game ;)

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Wine can of their wits the wise beguile,
Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile.
TVs seem sort of useless. I can't recall if I've ever seen a colonist use one. However, if they had a sort of joy area effect for the room they're in, that would be something that could at least partially meet the joy needs of patients in the infirmary.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Overwined posted:

TVs seem sort of useless. I can't recall if I've ever seen a colonist use one. However, if they had a sort of joy area effect for the room they're in, that would be something that could at least partially meet the joy needs of patients in the infirmary.

They seem pretty low on the list, but I've had various colonists watch movies. Slap a TV down with a comfy chair in front of it and someone will eventually sit.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

Ratzap posted:

I think it's labelled as a labrador, I was using 'mutt' as a pejorative expression in order to convey my disgust at having been given a 12 year old, blind and demented dog by the game ;)

To be fair that's the dog equivalent of a typical colonist when you're starting a colony.

Drunk in Space
Dec 1, 2009

Azhais posted:

They seem pretty low on the list, but I've had various colonists watch movies. Slap a TV down with a comfy chair in front of it and someone will eventually sit.

I think there's a bit of an issue with how close the chair is to the TV and the orientation of both. Too close or too far and I've noticed colonists will often sit down and then stand up immediately and go and do something else. Two tiles from the TV usually works ok, but it's definitely not something they use as much as you might expect. At the very least you'd think all the medieval serfs you always seem to end up with would be dazzled and entranced by it constantly.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Drunk in Space posted:

I think there's a bit of an issue with how close the chair is to the TV and the orientation of both. Too close or too far and I've noticed colonists will often sit down and then stand up immediately and go and do something else. Two tiles from the TV usually works ok, but it's definitely not something they use as much as you might expect. At the very least you'd think all the medieval serfs you always seem to end up with would be dazzled and entranced by it constantly.

I spend a fortune on video game machines and all sorts of fancy joy items and they spend 99% of their time at the sandstone horseshoe pit. See if I give you guys a nice home next time :argh:

Huszsersvn
Nov 11, 2009

Nice world you've got here. Shame if anything were to happen to it.

To be fair, there probably isn't a single quarter for hundreds of miles - how are you going to start it up?

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

Goons not understanding some people would rather play an active game with friends instead of playing video games, what a surprise...

Joking, of course, but it does lead me to wonder why there's no mod allowing you to craft a soccer ball yet.

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

Azhais posted:

I spend a fortune on video game machines and all sorts of fancy joy items and they spend 99% of their time at the sandstone horseshoe pit. See if I give you guys a nice home next time :argh:

Hey, at least the horseshoe trains ranged skill (very slowly).

Putin It In Mah ASS
Nov 12, 2003

Omni-gel superlube is great stuff!
When am I going to learn that however much food unthinking should be growing, it's not enough?

Slime
Jan 3, 2007
I discovered why I was having all those food problems. Despite having free roaming over the entire map, my animals never left the home area and they were eating all my crops the fat bastards.

Right now I don't see a lot of reasons to keep animals that can't fight or provide wool or eggs or milk or something. They breed too slowly to be worth keeping for meat, which you can get far easier by just hunting. And my plan of a legion of meat shield attack bunnies won't work because of how long and food intensive it is to train an individual bunny.

BrianRx
Jul 21, 2007

Slime posted:

I discovered why I was having all those food problems. Despite having free roaming over the entire map, my animals never left the home area and they were eating all my crops the fat bastards.

Right now I don't see a lot of reasons to keep animals that can't fight or provide wool or eggs or milk or something. They breed too slowly to be worth keeping for meat, which you can get far easier by just hunting. And my plan of a legion of meat shield attack bunnies won't work because of how long and food intensive it is to train an individual bunny.

Yeah, this has been my experience as well. It's fun to set up a nice ranch, but it seems much more efficient to just grow potatoes or something and eat those and I would rather risk fodder colonists in combat than a warg I spent months training. I do like to keep huskies around for hauling, but I almost lost a colony to starvation because a few litters were born during the winter and I underestimated how many new mouths there would be to feed.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Drunk in Space posted:

I don't think I've ever lost someone to flu and I don't even bother micromanaging the problem. The main issue with flu is how long it takes to work through even a relatively young person's system, especially now that colonists tend to stay bedridden while ill, unlike previous versions where they would happily toil away even with pustules all over their body so long as the disease hadn't reached its 'extreme' state.

The bedridden thing is something Tynan needs to work on when he gets back. I'm having so many colonists break and go apeshit in the medical bay because of the sickness/pain mood penalty and their inability to fulfill joy needs while stuck in bed. He should probably either drastically reduce their joy requirements or eliminate it entirely like he did with prisoners in the end.

Put some pretty poo poo in the hospital, and make sure the bed is good quality (or, for flu, assign them to their quarters, in a nice royal bed.)

If the medical room (including their own room if you turn their bed medical) is beautiful, they get a "nice hosptial" mood buff, and being in a comfortable bed will give them the "luxuriantly comfortable" buff which should offset the sickness and joy deprivation.

Azhais posted:

This also, give them outpatient days every now and then, it helps, and unless they're super old they probably won't die from it.

Slime posted:

Animals are very useful for hauling, and they outmatch most colonists blow for blow in melee combat, unless the colonist is quite skilled and geared up. Also it doesn't matter much if they die. Also be aware that some (dromedaries) are super fatass and will eat constantly, while huskies will eat far less, you can see how good they are at that by their food bar, a dromedary will eat when it's a third empty, whereas a husky will eat when it's about 70% empty.

Treat them like you would some kind of militarized roomba. Buy one, make it do chores, train it to kill, sick it on a raid, cut it up for dinner and sofas.

Speaking of, I really want a kind of little mechanoid pet roomba that cleans things 24/7, that would be the most useful thing.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Sep 10, 2015

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

I quite like the Medieval mods (well armour, weapons and factions) https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=14006.0

Just like that occasionally some throwback feudal town will attack the colony tickles me.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!
A feudal colony attacking you makes sense in RimWorld because your people CAN come from a feudal planet.

Drunk in Space
Dec 1, 2009

OwlFancier posted:

Animals are very useful for hauling, and they outmatch most colonists blow for blow in melee combat, unless the colonist is quite skilled and geared up. Also it doesn't matter much if they die. Also be aware that some (dromedaries) are super fatass and will eat constantly, while huskies will eat far less, you can see how good they are at that by their food bar, a dromedary will eat when it's a third empty, whereas a husky will eat when it's about 70% empty.

I've not had much fortune with animals yet, and the ones I do train up to hauling seem to spend most of the day just wandering about and only randomly hauling things here and there. Is there a good way to make them work more consistently?

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

Drunk in Space posted:

I've not had much fortune with animals yet, and the ones I do train up to hauling seem to spend most of the day just wandering about and only randomly hauling things here and there. Is there a good way to make them work more consistently?

Nah they used to haul way more but Tynan lowered it as it became slightly unbalanced to have them just do all of your hauling for you. Now they are an aid but you can't just replace your colonists hauling duties with them.

Also godamn a headshot on one of my most skilled colonists leading to an old gunshot in the brain :( Friendly fire during an iguana attack too.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

Did this game get harder? I swear to christ I'm running out of food and medical supplies way faster since .11 (last time I played). I came close to failcascading three times in the space of an hour and a half last night.

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

ChickenWing posted:

Did this game get harder? I swear to christ I'm running out of food and medical supplies way faster since .11 (last time I played). I came close to failcascading three times in the space of an hour and a half last night.

Have you noticed that low skill growers fail harvesting now? So a large portion of your crop may be lost due to that.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Geokinesis posted:

Have you noticed that low skill growers fail harvesting now? So a large portion of your crop may be lost due to that.

Welp,

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Putin It In Mah ASS
Nov 12, 2003

Omni-gel superlube is great stuff!
Randy Random will also loving ruin your day with blight > cold snap > toxic fallout. Holy poo poo that actually all happened to me in year 1.