Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Seat Safety Switch posted:

I feel like the Mad Max game was originally designed as a survival game and gradually transitioned to a vehicular combat game over what must have been a brutal series of publisher interventions.

it feels like they had a generic uncharted knock-off xbox 360 game on the shelf and someone gave them 6 months to make a mad max game out of it.

i love the car combat bits and upgrading the car and all that, but holy gently caress the climbing doesn't loving work, quit making me do it. and stop making me slog all the way back through your poorly designed levels after making it in the first time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
Can't believe nobody on the team had the balls to say, "guys, let's make these animations for everything optional."

mafoose
Oct 30, 2006

volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and vulvas and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dongs and volvos and dons and volvos and dogs and volvos and cats and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs

IOwnCalculus posted:

Not all that big (~1400 sq ft), treatment is through a company our regular pest-control (which doesn't do termites, I guess?) recommended. I guess the $6xx one would cover two years, $8xx would cover five.

I'm thinking I might get a second opinion from Terminix or someone else just to have another reference point since I doubt your place is any smaller than mine.

We're right around 1350 but there was evidence of termites at one point when we were buying the house so the bank made us have it treated.

On mad max, I'm doing all the optional poo poo, and other than the animations, I don't really mind it. I use it to wind down after work and I'm not in any rush to beat it. Climbing works just fine here.

The only other minor annoyance is all the "hold to talk to" doesn't do poo poo until you release it. That and some of the camps with all the wire fence bog my old computer down. Everything else is silky smooth.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

some texas redneck posted:

Eh, I do as much as I can to get the orders to the customer hot, but I don't stress. There's nothing I can do about staffing issues, so I just take a deep breath and roll with it. I'm good at dealing with upset customers face to face, and I have no problem offering a credit or comping their meal if it makes them happy (though I have a lot of leniency compared to most other drivers).

I care to the extent that our lack of staff prevents me from doing my real job: washing all the dishes and mopping the floors. Delivering, answering phones, working cut table, all of it is just an obstacle to the two things I have to do before I can go home for the night.

Our staffing problem is so bad that I called out sick a few weeks ago and delivery had to be shut down at 8 on a Saturday because there was nobody else who was able to work due either to hours restrictions or simply not giving a poo poo. And for 4.90 an hour I can't really blame them.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

corn in the fridge posted:

oh sure i have especially when i was young and inexperienced and some things can't be helped but both scenarios 14inch described are examples of negligence. Now im not saying he's incompetent but the broken fuel rail resulted from a lack of care and attention to what he was doing and the second was due to not even bothering to look at the component he was condemning! Both scenarios could have been easily avoided but he either doesn't know any better (which I think he does) or doesn't care which in my book makes him a bad mechanic

I get what you're trying to do but for the record Id willingly bust your face in with a tire iron if you tried to say I wasn't good at my job to my face so congrats on being a piece of poo poo

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

14 INCH DICK posted:

I get what you're trying to do but for the record Id willingly bust your face in with a tire iron if you tried to say I wasn't good at my job to my face so congrats on being a piece of poo poo

This is the best post to wake up to.

Especially after I got a case for the Nexus 6 yesterday. And the device got an Android update yesterday. And I told it to install the update. And the loving case has no bumps or any tactile response for the buttons. And I was holding the power button and didn't know it as the OS updated.

Wouldn't clear, cache reset wouldn't fix it, factory reset wouldn't fix it, picked "power off" from the bootloader and figured I'd gently caress with it in the morning. Woke up this morning and it's flat dead (from a full charge last night).

gently caress that case.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

This dude I work with JUST bought a Windows phone and is going HAM with the stylus pen this morning.

literally a fish
Oct 2, 2014

German officer Johannes Bolter peeks out the hatch of his Tiger I heavy tank during a quiet moment before the Battle of Kursk - c:1943 (colorized)
Slippery Tilde

literally a fish posted:

twin turbo subaru chat

So I swapped out the battery on the B4 Legacy for a nice shiny new one and...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gnvnZuXKKsE

oh god
you poor thing
shhhh, it's ok, it's ok, you can go to the great scrapyard in the sky soon i promise
no more tears
only dreams now

(I'm surprised it hasn't opened a window in the block)

Should I make a thread once I have the new engine to chronicle the engine swap shenanigans? Do people care?

meatpimp posted:

And the loving case has no bumps or any tactile response for the buttons. And I was holding the power button and didn't know it as the OS updated.

i'm amazed that such a thing exists
does it even have indents for the button to sit in inside the case? How do they expect anyone to use it?

literally a fish fucked around with this message at 12:25 on Sep 11, 2015

piss boner
May 17, 2003

which in my book makes him a bad mechanic

And you have never had a bad day? Go gently caress yourself. I hope 14" finds you and fucks you with the business end of a leaf rake.

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010

meatpimp posted:

This is the best post to wake up to.

Especially after I got a case for the Nexus 6 yesterday. And the device got an Android update yesterday. And I told it to install the update. And the loving case has no bumps or any tactile response for the buttons. And I was holding the power button and didn't know it as the OS updated.

Wouldn't clear, cache reset wouldn't fix it, factory reset wouldn't fix it, picked "power off" from the bootloader and figured I'd gently caress with it in the morning. Woke up this morning and it's flat dead (from a full charge last night).

gently caress that case.

If you leave it plugged in for a while, then press all three buttons, it should (hopefully) boot back into the bootloader. If that's the case, you can manually flash the images from https://developers.google.com/android/nexus/images

I can't remember if you're one of the people who already knows a bunch about phones, so, uh, sorry if you already know this.

corn in the fridge
Jan 15, 2012

by Shine

14 INCH DICK posted:

idk you don't seem to be doing yourself any favours. Most ppl in this forum seem to be hobbyists and not professionals so I don't expect many to understand, but it's far too easy to write off being a mechanic as a poo poo and horrible job. It's just like any job where what you get out of it is what you put into it. There are some really rewarding opportunities out there in this field which is why I've spent the better part of a decade building a solid reputation so when that opportunity came about id be ready for it. Or at the very least I'd have a solid and loyal customer base should I decide to work for myself.

I'm not saying you can't have bad days or that every job has to be immaculate but the nature of those mistakes you've described show a severe lack of care and professionalism which is worrisome. If your manager has any care in his own job he will have disciplined you harshly cuz if you had pulled that sort of poo poo while working for me you'd have one foot out the door already

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

Dude, what the gently caress is your problem? I accidentally caused nearly $5K of damage to a piece of machinery due to innatention and being over worked and over tired.

Got a formal investigation regarding it, but it was identified as such and we modified the work practice. No wonder the US is so hosed up with attitudes like that.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?
corn nooooo this isn't TRP bro you missed the turn

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

literally a fish posted:

Should I make a thread once I have the new engine to chronicle the engine swap shenanigans? Do people care?

I care. Never not project thread.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

Go troll somewhere else. Although you're slipping up; I noticed a few capitalized letters in your post.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

if you had pulled that sort of poo poo while working for me you'd have one foot out the door already
You certainly sound like big-chain service shop management material, I'll give you that.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

literally a fish posted:

oh god
you poor thing
shhhh, it's ok, it's ok, you can go to the great scrapyard in the sky soon i promise
no more tears
only dreams now

Why did you start it? That's like keeping a terminal patient alive just to see them twitch :psyduck:

You monster!

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
I really want to see some one get hosed with the business end of a leaf rake.

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

14 INCH DICK posted:

You're a loser who smokes animal poo poo, lives in a hovel and threatens violence at low effort trolling. Maybe you should take an internet time out.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

How many types of rakes are there in the world? If someone says 'rake' to me I instantly assume a garden rake, which is used to rake leaves.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Ozmiander posted:

You're a loser who smokes animal poo poo, lives in a hovel and threatens violence at low effort trolling. Maybe you should take an internet time out.

Hey there buddy, everything okay? You can PM me if you'd rather not talk about it here :sun:

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~
Is this the AI singularity

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

PaintVagrant posted:

Is this the AI singularity

I think AI is on its period.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Ozmiander posted:

And what do you add, really? Every post you make is just bitching about other people's worthlessness. I didn't know you were elected arbitor of worth.

Alarbus posted:

If you leave it plugged in for a while, then press all three buttons, it should (hopefully) boot back into the bootloader. If that's the case, you can manually flash the images from https://developers.google.com/android/nexus/images

I can't remember if you're one of the people who already knows a bunch about phones, so, uh, sorry if you already know this.

Unfortunately, on the Nexus 6, you cannot flash an image without unlocking the bootloader. And there's the problem. Seems like the "Allow OEM Unlock" must be checked in Developer Options before you can unlock it. If you can't get to Developer Options because the phone is hosed? Bricked.

>fastboot oem unlock
(bootloader) Check 'Allow OEM Unlock' in Developer Options.
FAILED (remote failure)
finished. total time: 0.005s

:thumbsup:

meatpimp fucked around with this message at 14:41 on Sep 11, 2015

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

88h88 posted:

I think AI is on its period.

Our combined coolant/oil leaks have synced up? HOORAY!

literally a fish
Oct 2, 2014

German officer Johannes Bolter peeks out the hatch of his Tiger I heavy tank during a quiet moment before the Battle of Kursk - c:1943 (colorized)
Slippery Tilde

CommieGIR posted:

Why did you start it? That's like keeping a terminal patient alive just to see them twitch :psyduck:

You monster!

When I picked it up the battery terminals were completely gone, and I was told it would "crank but not run" - I wanted to see how bad it was, and, well, very.

What would make me a real monster would be if I try to get it to move up the hill (to the concrete carport where we can work on it) under its own power... I'm not quite that mean, though. We have winches. She will be winch'd up the hill.

Ozmiander posted:

It wouldn't be a 14" post if it didn't escalate faster than a McLaren P1

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

CommieGIR posted:

Seems so.

I'm chill, I've been watching Goodwood Revival live on youtube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t4sGzQKKzVc

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

CommieGIR posted:

My coolant and oil leaks take place in the combustion chamber. :smug:

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER

88h88 posted:

How many types of rakes are there in the world? If someone says 'rake' to me I instantly assume a garden rake, which is used to rake leaves.

I imagined , but there's the type of rakes used to rake garden/dirt (bow rake), with stiff metal tines like so: . There's also a hay rake, which is a farming implement, rake as it refers to a group of train cars, and the the literary archetype of the rake - usually a male character of charm but dubious morals.

EDIT: Oh, yeah, also a bird.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Seat Safety Switch posted:

My coolant and oil leaks take place in the combustion chamber. :smug:

Its where the best leaks happen.

Which I'm pretty sure I have a couple.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Sigma X posted:

I imagined , but there's the type of rakes used to rake garden/dirt (bow rake), with stiff metal tines like so: . There's also a hay rake, which is a farming implement, rake as it refers to a group of train cars, and the the literary archetype of the rake - usually a male character of charm but dubious morals.

Rakechat.

I've actually learned something today so thank you.

corn in the fridge
Jan 15, 2012

by Shine
Lol does it have to be a leaf rake or can I have my choice of rakes

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

Did all of AI's periods sync up or something? Stop being a bunch of pussies. At least NEAIers aren't giant chodes. :jerkbag:

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER

88h88 posted:

Rakechat.

I've actually learned something today so thank you.

No problem, dude. I read the dictionary too much as a kid.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Sigma X posted:

You forgot rake as an indicator of angle that a mast is stepped - i.e. the rake of the masts on a sail boat.

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER

The Locator posted:

You forgot rake as an indicator of angle that a mast is stepped - i.e. the rake of the masts on a sail boat.

TBH I left it out on purpose as it's not something you could get raped with. It refers to any number of things with an angle off that of vertical or horizontal, like the rake of a motorcycle's front fork, or the difference in height-from-pavement of a hotrodder's chassis. You could definitely get raped using a bird.

The Prong Song fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Sep 11, 2015

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Sigma X posted:

You could definitely get raped using a bird.

New thread title.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Super Aggro Crag posted:

Did all of AI's periods sync up or something? Stop being a bunch of pussies. At least NEAIers aren't giant chodes. :jerkbag:

:colbert: Hey now.

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Official Something Awful Account
Lifelong Tory Voter

Super Aggro Crag posted:

You're the only giant chode here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER

MustardFacial posted:

You're the only giant chode here.

Ya know, when I was in high school "chode" referred to a dick that was at least as wide as it was long. Now it's AKA the taint? What has the world come to?

• Locked thread