Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
(Society) had the view that this form of the technology was the inevitable form that it had to take and if that was the form it took then it must be the right form...The key decisions (in nuclear power) weren't made by the technologists - they were done in the business realm...It's not a scientific choice, it's not an engineering choice, it's a moral choice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Freakazoid_ posted:

The economic implications of certain advanced technologies, such as automated cars, are very drastic. There are some 3.6 million transportation jobs in the US that could be phased out by this technology with no obvious job creation aspect, especially for the low-income workers it will displace.

People in the tech industry tend to lean libertarian. For some of them, it has probably crossed their minds that some of the technologies they are creating will not really be job positive.

Being pessimistic about new technologies could be seen as a convenient excuse to delay the inevitable crisis of conscience between the ideal of the self made man and the machines they are replacing them with.

I work in an industry that is very technologically advanced, and safety conscious to a degree not found outside of medical device testing. Do you think what I said earlier is simply neo-luddism?

Solkanar512 posted:

I would certainly feel a great deal more confident about the " innovations" coming from our Silicon Valley overlords if the majority of the things being worked on were more than just me-too copy cat apps trying to get bought out before the VC money runs out.

The thing is, this sector doesn't give a poo poo about shipping products that work on a consistent enough basis to be safe for widespread use. I work in aerospace - when the products my company makes happen to crash, it's on the front page of every newspaper in the world. I still remember Amazon wanting the FAA to exclude their drones from the experimental rules process because "they would be changing and modifying parts too often for certification". Having new parts from a manufacturer that is untested is the sort of thing that drives FAA inspections. Oh, but they had a former astronaut on the team so that made it all better. For them, it's all Scott shoving the latest thing out into the public, and we'll fix the bugs later. Maybe.

Until these companies actually take safety seriously, they're in for a world of hurt and outside regulation. Oh, and no insurance company is going to come within miles of this poo poo for a very, very long time.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
Regulations are very Economy 1.0, IMO.

Ivan Prisypkin
Sep 11, 2011

How are u posted:

Regulations are very Economy 1.0, IMO.

also what enron said so they could have power plants shut down to drive the price of electricity up in the newly deregulated CA power industry back in the 90's....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nWCtKqYnLXA

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

for the thread's benefit, here is a video of a quality consumer product sold by goog:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BpsMkLaEiOY

more good google hardware:

http://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-wi-fi-router/#competition

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

uncurable mlady posted:

child runs into road, terrified father runs after waving at arms to stop traffic

edge case

If the car isn't stopping when someone runs in front of it then we have bigger problems. You wouldn't want automated cars to stop because someone waved their hands in a particular way for the same reason we don't currently want automated cars to smash the brakes because of plastic bags. The vehicle should be making the proper decisions about objects that cross its path without any form of signaling, sensor-based or otherwise. The issue that was being discussed was the ability for the vehicle to recognize a temporary traffic signaling situation like a cop directing traffic, which is an obvious case where some kind of signaling device makes sense.

Your scenario is just really weird because stopping when something gets in front of them is the kind of thing automated cars will absolutely, 100% be better at than humans. The bigger problem is getting them to recognize when they don't have to stop because the thing in front of them is a bag blowing across the road.

Paradoxish fucked around with this message at 09:14 on Sep 11, 2015

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Cicero posted:

This is pretty much always true though, isn't it? I mean, as farming employment numbers went from "almost everybody" to "almost nobody" due to technological progress, there wasn't a direct link from, say, improvements in mechanized tractors to new jobs. The answer to "where did those people go for jobs" was just "everywhere else", as more efficient farming meant lower prices meant more consumer spending for other parts of the economy.
If your income is zero, lower prices don't help you a lot. Consumer spending requires consumers to have money to spend. We generally distribute this by jobs.

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

Paradoxish posted:

If the car isn't stopping when someone runs in front of it then we have bigger problems. You wouldn't want automated cars to stop because someone waved their hands in a particular way for the same reason we don't currently want automated cars to smash the brakes because of plastic bags. The vehicle should be making the proper decisions about objects that cross its path without any form of signaling, sensor-based or otherwise. The issue that was being discussed was the ability for the vehicle to recognize a temporary traffic signaling situation like a cop directing traffic, which is an obvious case where some kind of signaling device makes sense.

Your scenario is just really weird because stopping when something gets in front of them is the kind of thing automated cars will absolutely, 100% be better at than humans. The bigger problem is getting them to recognize when they don't have to stop because the thing in front of them is a bag blowing across the road.

sensors are indeed good at telling when something is in front of them. so good that $60 of electronics can completely foil the LIDAR and create phantom peds or obstacles!

http://spectrum.ieee.org/cars-that-think/transportation/self-driving/researcher-hacks-selfdriving-car-sensors

quote:

Petit was able to create the illusion of a fake car, wall, or pedestrian anywhere from 20 to 350 meters from the lidar unit, and make multiple copies of the simulated obstacles, and even make them move. “I can spoof thousands of objects and basically carry out a denial of service attack on the tracking system so it’s not able to track real objects,” he says. Petit’s attack worked at distances up to 100 meters, in front, to the side or even behind the lidar being attacked and did not require him to target the lidar precisely with a narrow beam.

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

Main Paineframe posted:

B-b-but I might see a poor person on the bus! :qq: I can't sit next to those people!

I hate buses and love public transport. Buses are slow, because of traffic and having to stop every 50 feet to let on passengers. Letting on passengers takes longer than trains because they tend to get blocked in by traffic so it takes forever to pull off. They are also huge, so they can't zip in and out of traffic like private cars, so they get stuck in any congestion. Basically, they are the worst of all forms of transport combined. Nothing to do with "the poors".

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

BarbarianElephant posted:

I hate buses and love public transport. Buses are slow, because of traffic and having to stop every 50 feet to let on passengers. Letting on passengers takes longer than trains because they tend to get blocked in by traffic so it takes forever to pull off. They are also huge, so they can't zip in and out of traffic like private cars, so they get stuck in any congestion. Basically, they are the worst of all forms of transport combined. Nothing to do with "the poors".

Actually streetcars are worse but thankfully only idiots want to bring those back.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

buses are p nice in paris, not as nice as the metro obviously, but if you have to transfer twice on the metro the general wisdom is to just take a bus instead. they're pretty needs suiting IMO

maybe they only work in places that aren't actively sabotaging their public transport

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
Dedicated busways and buslanes help massively, as does plenty of large bus terminals (instead of a bunch of stops). A good train network kind of needs a good bus network anyway.

rudatron fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Sep 11, 2015

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

uncurable mlady posted:

sensors are indeed good at telling when something is in front of them. so good that $60 of electronics can completely foil the LIDAR and create phantom peds or obstacles!

http://spectrum.ieee.org/cars-that-think/transportation/self-driving/researcher-hacks-selfdriving-car-sensors

I seriously have no idea what you're arguing with or what you think I'm saying. It doesn't matter how well LIDAR works, you still wouldn't solve the problem of "how do I stop this car for a pedestrian running in front of it?" by detecting someone waving their arms around. The car should always be stopping for objects that cross its path and never (without user intervention) for some random guy waving his arms around on the side of the street.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Nessus posted:

This seems to be the "Might as well not make any laws at all, then" argument again. Like you seem to be saying "If the people being abused can't afford enforcement, why bother making it illegal?" Do you feel laws should only be structured to protect the wealthy, like, as a design feature?

Uh, no, you completely missed the point. There's a big difference between a cop exercising selective enforcement of a speeding law or something, and a law that literally requires you to be rich or have connections before you can attempt to have it enforced. I don't think it's a coincidence that laws that protect workers tend to work like the latter.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

Paradoxish posted:

I seriously have no idea what you're arguing with or what you think I'm saying. It doesn't matter how well LIDAR works, you still wouldn't solve the problem of "how do I stop this car for a pedestrian running in front of it?" by detecting someone waving their arms around. The car should always be stopping for objects that cross its path and never (without user intervention) for some random guy waving his arms around on the side of the street.

gonna have to disagree with you here. seeing as sensors, software, and hardware are not infallible, it would behoove us to have an automated car be able to take cues like certain hand/arm signals from nearby humans as a signal to make an emergency stop. it acts as a redundancy measure that can improve safety for pedestrians and safety in general. there is the capacity for abuse of course, but just like with fire alarms and other warning signals we should punish abusers rather than prevent the public from accessing such safety measures.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Condiv posted:

gonna have to disagree with you here. seeing as sensors, software, and hardware are not infallible, it would behoove us to have an automated car be able to take cues like certain hand/arm signals from nearby humans as a signal to make an emergency stop. it acts as a redundancy measure that can improve safety for pedestrians and safety in general.

You're kind of missing the point, though, in that there's no redundancy in what you're talking about. The car would detect someone waving their arms around using the same data that allows it to detect the fact that there's an object there at all, but with the added complexity of having to make a determination beyond stopping for an obstruction. The simplest, safest solution is to have the car stop when an object is in its path. The problem, which has already been brought up in the thread, is actually the risk of the car being too sensitive and stopping suddenly for things like shopping bags.

Edit- It's worth pointing out that there are several already in production technologies intended to detect obstructions and warn drivers. I think you're going to see attitudes towards this stuff change rapidly as technology like that is integrated into new cars and drivers realize that their car is warning them about obstacles they were still completely unaware of.

Paradoxish fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Sep 11, 2015

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

First, we develop sensors that can tell the difference between someone about to run into traffic from the sidewalk from someone waving hello to a friend on the sidewalk. Then we simply develop the strong ai to distinguish between the implications of these different behaviors on potential roadway impacts.

I'd say this will all come within *spins wheel* 18 months. Those who disagree with this well established analysts hate technology and probably puppies.

Bob James
Nov 15, 2005

by Lowtax
Ultra Carp
Just train squirrels to drive cars.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
D&D'ers will be happy to see this:

quote:

Employees of staffing companies are starting to revolt, however, ushering in what may be a new era of higher labor standards in the famous tech hub. These workers are organizing, voting for union membership and the power of collective bargaining, and publicly exposing their working conditions—namechecking the companies that contract their services—in the hopes of stirring up popular support. “Adecco” may not mean anything to the average consumer, but “Google” certainly does—and many Google customers care about corporate accountability. If workers succeed, they could have a huge influence on newer tech hubs like New York and Chicago.

quote:

Asked for comment on workers’ claims of labor problems and union-busting, an Adecco spokesperson said, “There have been a number of false claims made throughout this election process; we're not able to comment on active legal matters but objections were filed with the NLRB around the election process. … We will fully cooperate with the NLRB’s investigation and the upcoming hearing.” She added that the company is “supportive of any direction freely chosen by our associates” but “believe[s] that our associates are better off directly dealing with us as their employer rather than involving a union.”

Apparently, workers didn’t share that belief. Adecco employees voted on August 21 to join the Teamsters, yet another milestone in what might be considered tech’s comeuppance—the moment when labor organizing spread like wildfire across Silicon Valley.

The first major stirrings began in May 2014, when venerable civil rights organizer Jesse Jackson launched a campaign focusing on racial and class disparities in the Valley with a bang, rallying for better working conditions for security guards at the offices of semiconductor manufacturer Broadcom. In September 2014, security guards mobbed an Apple store to chant, “Apple, Apple, you’re no good, treat your workers like you should.” Unite Here protesters gathered at Intel's Santa Clara offices in November 2014 to hold the firm accountable for unfair treatment of food service workers employed by a catering company. In a December 2014 protest, Jackson led a crowd of security guards and food service workers—the majority of whom, like other contract workers, were people of color—in a rally at Apple’s Bay Area campus in an “Apple dodges taxes, we pay the price” chant.

The Teamsters have seen four union victories in 2015: the warehouse workers at Google Express, waste disposal workers at Genentech, and workers at two transportation companies that collectively serve Apple, Genentech, Yahoo, eBay, Zynga, Evernote and Amtrak. These are the drivers of the infamous symbols of Silicon Valley’s burgeoning class war: the elite private buses from San Francisco and environs to Silicon Valley. (In recent years, the buses, which are exclusive to tech employees, have attracted considerable contro- versy over their use of city bus stops.) According to Aloise, the new contracts cover more than 200 drivers and guarantee wages of roughly $60,000 and affordable health insurance.
http://inthesetimes.com/article/18367/silicon-valleys-labor-uprising

I have no idea what this actually means though:

quote:

Already, software engineers write the bulk of new code, while a large pool of programmers act more like assembly line workers, snapping together lines of pre-existing code.
What? I think the person who wrote this doesn't understand how programming works. Unless you're writing in assembly language (and arguably even then), you're always 'snapping together lines of pre-existing code'. That's what a compiler does, that's what a platform does, that's what a framework does, that's what a library does: let you re-use pre-existing code so that you can focus on higher-level concepts instead.

asdf32
May 15, 2010

I lust for childrens' deaths. Ask me about how I don't care if my kids die.

Bob James posted:

Just train squirrels to drive cars.

Heh that reminds me of pigeon powered homing missiles:

wikipedia posted:

During World War II, Project Pigeon (later Project Orcon, for "organic control") was American behaviorist B.F. Skinner's attempt to develop a pigeon-guided missile.[1]

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Project_Pigeon

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Cicero posted:

What? I think the person who wrote this doesn't understand how programming works. Unless you're writing in assembly language (and arguably even then), you're always 'snapping together lines of pre-existing code'. That's what a compiler does, that's what a platform does, that's what a framework does, that's what a library does: let you re-use pre-existing code so that you can focus on higher-level concepts instead.

no, it's pretty common. by pre-existing code they just mean like templates or chunks of code which lower-paid people then pull out of a box when needed. i'm not a programmer but i'm code literate and it's not uncommon for me to send sample or test code to customers that someone else has written, or ask one of our developers to write something which i then plug in somewhere to solve a problem and maybe tweak if necessary

i can write maybe a simple javascript thing. but i can see where in our software a customer is having a problem, solicit a fix from a dev, then implement that fix - the developer spends maybe a half hour on the task

boner confessor fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Sep 11, 2015

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Popular Thug Drink posted:

no, it's pretty common. by pre-existing code they just mean like templates or chunks of code which lower-paid people then pull out of a box when needed. i'm not a programmer but i'm code literate and it's not uncommon for me to send sample or test code to customers that someone else has written, or ask one of our developers to write something which i then plug in somewhere to solve a problem and maybe tweak if necessary
"templates or chunks of code which lower-paid people then pull out of a box when needed" just sounds like a library to me. And yeah lower-skill programmers who don't do much innovative stuff (I've heard Wordpress developers fall into this category) are a thing, but they've been a thing for some time now. I haven't seen any evidence that higher-skilled programming jobs are becoming more scarce.

quote:

i can write maybe a simple javascript thing. but i can see where in our software a customer is having a problem, solicit a fix from a dev, then implement that fix - the developer spends maybe a half hour on the task
Basic programming skills getting integrated into more jobs seems like a trend that will continue as technology becomes more and more widespread, but it didn't seem to me like that was what the article author was talking about.

edit: \/\/\/ yeah "you can totally mess with this car by shining a laser at it!!" doesn't seem like a real strike against self-driving cars.

Cicero fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Sep 11, 2015

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

uncurable mlady posted:

We are indeed fortunate that human drivers are immune to laser dazzling weapons. Perhaps, in the future, intentionally using laser weapons to blind a driver will be illegal.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

Paradoxish posted:

You're kind of missing the point, though, in that there's no redundancy in what you're talking about. The car would detect someone waving their arms around using the same data that allows it to detect the fact that there's an object there at all, but with the added complexity of having to make a determination beyond stopping for an obstruction. The simplest, safest solution is to have the car stop when an object is in its path. The problem, which has already been brought up in the thread, is actually the risk of the car being too sensitive and stopping suddenly for things like shopping bags.

no not necessarily. for example, take the current LIDAR sensor's inability to properly detect potholes. now imagine that a person has been hit by a car and is wounded. would the LIDAR, which already has trouble detecting low level obstacles like potholes be able to detect an injured person lying in the road? you're also taking detection and classification of obstacles by a neural network, a probability based system, as foolproof. remember that we are talking about a technology that even at its best can never detect 100% of obstacles correctly. even small changes that you would think wouldn't make a difference in detection, can very well cause a false negative. that's just one reason why adapting these cars to be able to take human communication into account is important. the detection of such things would of course not be 100% either, but if the sensors have a 5% chance of misclassifying a person injured in the road as not an obstacle it needs to stop for, and a 4% chance of not recognizing human communication such as hand signals to stop, you have a 99.8% chance of either of those inputs being recognized and stopping the vehicle as opposed to a 95% percent chance of stopping when needed. that is the definition of redundancy.

as i have mentioned before, neither formal verification or bughunting is particularly useful with neural network thanks to their nature. in the google car's case, it is most likely the equivalent of a million+ variable function with weights and biases applied to every variable and generated entirely by a computer. it is incredibly difficult for us to verify such systems. as such, the best method of verification of neural networks is the incorporation of as disparate a set of training data as possible, and trying to maximize the neural nets response to be correct for as high of a percentage of that data as possible. even with that, the accuracy rate you end up with is a lab accuracy rate only, on real world data accuracy tends to decline by a variable percentage based on the peculiarities of your neural network kernel.

in any case, it is difficult to the point of impossibility to have a neural network properly classify all inputs 100% of the time. that's why you should not presume that an automated car based on one would detect an obstacle that a person on the side of the road was trying to warn it about if it could detect that person's movements.

edit: part of the reason i keep harping on the lack of applicability of formal verification to neural networks is because it is one of the big software development techniques that need to be used in life-critical systems. formal verification is mathematically proving that for all acceptable inputs to a function, it will behave as expected. formal verification of software generally means the software will not fail as long as the hardware and operating system do not.

Condiv fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Sep 11, 2015

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Paradoxish posted:

What about bicyclists, who typically use hand signals to indicate what they're about to do? Should the car comletely ignore a bicyclist who's about to change lanes, until they enter the car's lane, at which point it will come to a sudden and complete stop in the middle of the road?

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
It's kinda weird how self-driving cars need to have a billion scenarios ready in case someone is "lying injured in the road" and yet if a human driver hit someone lying in the road, nothing would happen to them legally

Main Paineframe posted:

What about bicyclists, who typically use hand signals to indicate what they're about to do? Should the car ignore them completely unless they veer in front of it, at which point it will come to a sudden and complete stop in the middle of the road?

The car should ignore them unless the bicycle is predicted to intercept its path, kinda like how human drivers do. BTW I live in a very bicycle heavy area and I'd say less than 10% of bicyclists signal, ever.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

Radbot posted:

It's kinda weird how self-driving cars need to have a billion scenarios ready in case someone is "lying injured in the road" and yet if a human driver hit someone lying in the road, nothing would happen to them legally

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Therac-25

"doctors screw up and accidently kill people all the time, so it's totes ok that engineering incompetence caused this machine to irradiate a bunch of people to death"

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Radbot posted:

hm yes, we should determine if we can find machines criminally liable for an accident

-or-

there's a high chance the driver would face criminal charges

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

hm yes, we should determine if we can find machines criminally liable for an accident

-or-

there's a high chance the driver would face criminal charges

If you can find me a single case, anywhere in the US, where a driver has been successfully prosecuted for not seeing someone lying in the road and running them over, I will PayPal you $10 right now.

Condiv posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Therac-25

"doctors screw up and accidently kill people all the time, so it's totes ok that engineering incompetence caused this machine to irradiate a bunch of people to death"

I guess I don't see the big difference between human and engineering error, and why we accept human error like it's nothing. I agree though that our attitude towards human incompetence is pretty shameful.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Cicero posted:

What? I think the person who wrote this doesn't understand how programming works.

They don't know what engineering means, so that's kind of a given.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Main Paineframe posted:

What about bicyclists, who typically use hand signals to indicate what they're about to do? Should the car comletely ignore a bicyclist who's about to change lanes, until they enter the car's lane, at which point it will come to a sudden and complete stop in the middle of the road?
Google's car already detects cyclist hand signals (includes video):

quote:

As for cyclists, the car’s technology recognizes and differentiates them specifically, and is familiar with typical rider behavior. For example, its sensors pick up commonly used hand signals from riders, allowing it to react within ample time and distance to the anticipated movements made.
http://www.bicycling.com/culture/news/google-s-new-self-driving-car-could-mean-safer-roads-cyclists

That seems like a much more common and easy-to-understand case than "frantically wave arms because someone ran into the street" though.

Cicero fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Sep 11, 2015

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

Radbot posted:

I guess I don't see the big difference between human and engineering error, and why we accept human error like it's nothing. I agree though that our attitude towards human incompetence is pretty shameful.

we can minimize machine error through best practices and good engineering. human error is a constant. failing to do your best to minimize machine error in life or death situations is negligence

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Radbot posted:

If you can find me a single case, anywhere in the US, where a driver has been successfully prosecuted for not seeing someone lying in the road and running them over, I will PayPal you $10 right now.

do they have to be already lying in the road motionless and without injury from some other pedestrian-vehicle collision and the driver also perfectly sober and alert because i want to make sure i pass all of your hopeless pedant filters before i just google "driver convicted for killing pedestrian" which anyone is capable of doing

ironically a pedestrian was struck and injured outside of my apartment yesterday but they were standing up so i guess it's all ok!

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Condiv posted:

we can minimize machine error through best practices and good engineering. human error is a constant. failing to do your best to minimize machine error in life or death situations is negligence
We can minimize human error through good (traffic) engineering too. We just usually choose to give more priority to speed/traffic flow. There's been some headway on this with the recent hype around Vision Zero.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

do they have to be already lying in the road motionless and without injury from some other pedestrian-vehicle collision and the driver also perfectly sober and alert because i want to make sure i pass all of your hopeless pedant filters before i just google "driver convicted for killing pedestrian" which anyone is capable of doing

ironically a pedestrian was struck and injured outside of my apartment yesterday but they were standing up so i guess it's all ok!

I'm not sure what a pedant filter is, but again, you'll find yourself $10 richer if you can find a case that is even similar to the one condiv talked about.

Condiv posted:

human error is a constant.

Citation loving needed on this one.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

Cicero posted:

We can minimize human error through good (traffic) engineering too. We just usually choose to give more priority to speed/traffic flow. There's been some headway on this with the recent hype around Vision Zero.

i meant it more in the sense that humans will always make mistakes, but yeah, with good engineering you can reduce the harm said mistakes cause and reduce the chances of a mistake resulting in death or injury

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
Humans will always be more lenient with other humans compared with machines. It's why people say that AI has to understand your commands 100% of the time to be effective even though people need stuff clarified all the time.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Humans will always make the same mistakes at the same rate, regardless of anything done to change their behavior. Makes sense.

asdf32
May 15, 2010

I lust for childrens' deaths. Ask me about how I don't care if my kids die.

computer parts posted:

Humans will always be more lenient with other humans compared with machines. It's why people say that AI has to understand your commands 100% of the time to be effective even though people need stuff clarified all the time.

Actually this is true and a point I made earlier and it's going to push back automated cars by an extra decade at least.

People won't tolerate machines (programmed by corporations) running over their children. The standard for automated cars is going to be higher than for human drivers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Condiv posted:

in any case, it is difficult to the point of impossibility to have a neural network properly classify all inputs 100% of the time. that's why you should not presume that an automated car based on one would detect an obstacle that a person on the side of the road was trying to warn it about if it could detect that person's movements.

The reason I keep jumping on this is because "frantically waving at a car from the side of the road" is actually a really stupid thing to do with human drivers, and trying to get an automated car to interpret that kind of signal just seems foolish and backwards. If someone is gesturing wildly at me while I'm driving down the street, all they're really doing is taking my attention away from what's in front of me and whatever it is they're trying to warn me about. It's already a thing that humans have a desperately hard time dealing with (watch how often people gently caress up when a cop is directing traffic), and it's an attempt to solve a problem (the limited ability of a person to focus on all thing at once) that autonomous vehicles wouldn't even have.

The same goes for a person lying down in the road or whatever other scenario you want to imagine. No matter how hard it might be to get the car to detect a person lying there, it's still an easier problem to solve than trying to interpret a hand signal pointing at something the car can't even see in the first place.

Paradoxish fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Sep 11, 2015

• Locked thread