Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

Animal posted:

They are out of touch with reality. Tell them to go gently caress themselves like, all the other regional pilot groups with a spine have been voting. We have the leverage now.

That's exactly what it sounds like the pilots are planning to do.

It sounds like the biggest thing management wants us to give up is our really nice scheduling system, since it allows us to select a pre-built set of trips for a given bid, then engage in a period of horse-trading with other pilots to add and drop trips to customize the schedules as long as we comply with Part 117 and don't drop under the min guarantee.

Management wants us to go to a PBS setup like every other airline (presumably because they think we need more four day trips with six legs per day and 10hr overnights), and they seem to be willing to let the unions decide on exactly which system is selected, which is a slightly promising sign.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

helno
Jun 19, 2003

hmm now were did I leave that plane

MrYenko posted:

IIRC, you're Canadian, meaning this is C$3200, correct?

Correct so 30% less in USD.

We are working on a loss of value claim for the hail damage so I'm keeping my receipts in case they decide they want to pay for individual repairs.

There were a few bigger ticket things that we were already aware of from the pre-purchase inspection (Oil cooler hose AD, Battery box corrosion) but things like a full set of spark plugs and a new battery drove things up quite a bit. Should be considerably cheaper next year now that all the replace after so many years AD's are covered for a while.

Me helping knocked quite a few hours of labour off the bill.

In more positive news the Stratux ADS-B receiver has gotten some press. And they used my 3d printed case in the article.

http://www.eaa.org/en/eaa/aviation-...-less-than-$120

Rickety Cricket
Jan 6, 2011

I must be at the nexus of the universe!

helno posted:

In more positive news the Stratux ADS-B receiver has gotten some press. And they used my 3d printed case in the article.

Great to see the project getting attention. Really no reason something like this needs to cost $900. Your 3d case designs are looking phenomenal. I'd love to get my hands on one once the GPS unit gets worked out

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

helno posted:

that case looks fantastic

helno
Jun 19, 2003

The single SDR case is a derivative of an existing minimalist raspberry pi case. I just removed a few bits and added the housing to support the SDR.

Unfortunately the dual SDR case with the GPS/AHRS is going to be about twice as thick but ends up being shorter.

http://imgur.com/a/VZJAV

I started from scratch on the dual case it was fun designing a case to fit the parts pretty tight. The middle layer took several revisions to properly fit and support the SDR's.

Should have the GPS in the next couple of days and I can finish the top part of the case.

Rickety Cricket
Jan 6, 2011

I must be at the nexus of the universe!
I see you left the plastic bit on your NooElec. Some casemakers have taken the plastic off as it gets really hot (apparently much hotter than the Pi), and just thrown it inside the case. Thoughts? Any chance of hot exposed parts coming in contact with a wire and catching fire?

helno
Jun 19, 2003

Rickety Cricket posted:

I see you left the plastic bit on your NooElec. Some casemakers have taken the plastic off as it gets really hot (apparently much hotter than the Pi), and just thrown it inside the case. Thoughts? Any chance of hot exposed parts coming in contact with a wire and catching fire?

It doesn't get that hot. Main concern about heat is frequency drift.

The dual case I designed removes the cases to cut down the total size.

xaarman
Mar 12, 2003

IRONKNUCKLE PERMABANNED! READ HERE
Ceasing my ATP training here, extremely unsatisfied with the school - enough for me to walk away in the middle of it. I'll resume when I get back to Oklahoma >8|

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI

xaarman posted:

Ceasing my ATP training here, extremely unsatisfied with the school - enough for me to walk away in the middle of it. I'll resume when I get back to Oklahoma >8|

I am so sorry to hear that. Can't even think of a place to recommend for ATP. Although, give GATTS a call in Manhattan Kansas.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

xaarman posted:

Are you talking about the ATP flight school or the ATP rating?

xaarman
Mar 12, 2003

The type rating, and I know where I'll be doing it when I get back. It would have just been so convenient to knock it out while I was here on this "deployment" to Tampa.

xaarman fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Sep 8, 2015

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

xaarman posted:

I know how that feels. Did that with Instrument when the pilot mill I was with rapidly went to hell in a handbasket. It'll work out.

xaarman
Mar 12, 2003

I could get into specifics, but I'm just going to "lol" at the final bill they sent demanding payment doesn't even add up correctly.

I felt like they were schemers when I met them, but an acquaintance from work recommended them so I pressed anyways. Should have went with my gut.

In case anyone is wondering, it's T. Black Aviation in Tampa, FL.

Hauldren Collider
Dec 31, 2012
British Airways 777 had an engine fire on takeoff roll and had to abort. Yikes.

http://www.wsj.com/articles/british-airways-777-catches-fire-in-las-vegas-after-engine-failure-1441762369

What would have happened if the fire had started just after liftoff?

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy

Hauldren Collider posted:

British Airways 777 had an engine fire on takeoff roll and had to abort. Yikes.

http://www.wsj.com/articles/british-airways-777-catches-fire-in-las-vegas-after-engine-failure-1441762369

What would have happened if the fire had started just after liftoff?

If you're past V1/max abort you keep going, bring it back around to land somewhere as soon as you can, and hope it doesn't explode before then.

(edit: any actual 777 guys feel free to post what you ACTUALLY do, I fly little tiny jets, not big ones)

xaarman
Mar 12, 2003

Boeing 7x7 aircraft are designed so the nacelle will burn itself off the pylon and still be controllable.

Whether it actually does that I have no idea.

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

:stonk:
I think the whole "burn itself off the pylon" thing is a requirement for all part 25 certified aircraft but I'm not 100% sure.

Hopefully this applies to airline CEOs as well.

hjp766
Sep 6, 2013
Dinosaur Gum

xaarman posted:

Boeing 7x7 aircraft are designed so the nacelle will burn itself off the pylon and still be controllable.

Whether it actually does that I have no idea.

It is (according to the sim anyway) more controllable as less drag.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Jeff "I like our (lazy as gently caress) livery because I designed it" Smisek was forced to resign over the PANYNJ scandal and allegedly starting EWR-CAE for the PA director in exchange for a favor.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Not just any favor, but a cheaper lease and remodeled terminals.

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!
At least he gets to keep his flight and parking privs, and his company car. :fuckoff:

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

SeaborneClink posted:

At least he gets to keep his flight and parking privs, and his company car. :fuckoff:

If he's not convicted or doesn't fail to comply with the company in the investigation, apparently.

I hope both happen.

Butt Reactor
Oct 6, 2005

Even in zero gravity, you're an asshole.
Not to mention $4.9 million, but at least both sides of the company are glad he's out!

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!

CBJSprague24 posted:

If he's not convicted or doesn't fail to comply with the company in the investigation, apparently.

I hope both happen.

Was this updated? The synopsis I saw said he gets like 4.7m in severance, also a prorated bonus for the year, company provided healthcare until he qualifies for Medicare, flight and parking privs and gets to keep his company car.

Whatever he gets it wasn't enough to get him the hell out. Smisek ruined United and I'm not bitter at all, nope.

I hope this CSX guy serves the company better but he's been been on the board throughout the entire time UA was being CFIT

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
As a long time United flyer that just went all in on Delta I can't say I see a difference. In fact so far I prefer United, but that might just be my lack of familiarity with Deltas quirks.

Smisek is a piece of poo poo, but did he make the customer experience any worse than other legacies?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Delta still gives you cookies, pretzels or peanuts unlike United.

Hauldren Collider
Dec 31, 2012
Delta also doesn't overbook the poo poo out of its flights like United.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
What's really scary, after hearing all these horror stories about United, is that I still preferred my experience on United (three flights total) over anything I've experienced on Air Canada. Granted, I was lucky enough to fly business class on United, but it was much better than AC business class, and they count Canada->US itineraries as international for the purposes of lounge access, unlike American.

How is it, mind you, that European airlines are better in every way compared to all North American airlines? Occasionally, they're also cheaper on directly competing routes!

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
I guess it's just one single anecdotal experience, but the ONLY itinerary I've ever booked with United had to be cancelled because of over booking.

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004

As a frequent Delta passenger I can tell you that Delta certainly does overbook the poo poo out of their flights.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I'm mostly insulated from that stuff by status.

I like how United would handle delays, missed connections, etc. lounge agents would confirm me on multiple flights and let me take whichever one was most convenient, stuff like that. Delta seems far less flexible.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
So guys is the best way to study my memory items for emergency check list to hand my checklist to a coworker and have them randomly call out emergencies at me during the work day so I can rattle them off?

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

bunnyofdoom posted:

So guys is the best way to study my memory items for emergency check list to hand my checklist to a coworker and have them randomly call out emergencies at me during the work day so I can rattle them off?

Flashcards.

I made flashcards for so much stuff it's not even funny. Basically kept them with me at all times and any spare moment, i would pull them out and study.

The Slaughter
Jan 28, 2002

cat scratch fever
Agree with flash cards. Often you learn them while making the flash cards.
Can confirm Delta over books plenty. It's amazing how many people miss flights, though.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Once you have them memorized, rattle them off while bouncing and catchup a tennis ball. Helps you recite it while actually doing something with your hands when it comes time to practice.

Worked for me.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
That's...a really good idea.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

Rolo posted:

Once you have them memorized, rattle them off while bouncing and catchup a tennis ball. Helps you recite it while actually doing something with your hands when it comes time to practice.

Worked for me.

Tide posted:

That's...a really good idea.

This.

(Gonna probably do it while petting my bunny, or playing videogameS)

AWSEFT
Apr 28, 2006

Jealous Cow posted:

As a long time United flyer that just went all in on Delta I can't say I see a difference. In fact so far I prefer United, but that might just be my lack of familiarity with Deltas quirks.

Smisek is a piece of poo poo, but did he make the customer experience any worse than other legacies?

You should try JetBlue. I can't tell you how happy I am when I'm booked a ticket on JetBlue vs anyone else

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

I flew out of Boston on US on a Saturday about three weeks ago and walked the terminal to kill time. Almost every flight they had (DEN, LAX, ORD) was overbooked by at least 4+ according to their gate info screens. I couldn't believe what I was seeing.

The only overbooking I've seen on one of my Delta flights in the last couple years was ATL-DAB this May around the time of ERAU graduation. We cashed in $600 a pop to get off an MD-90. I almost got off an ATL-CMH 757 to the tune of $800 on the way back, but it didn't work out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
I think every airline overbooks seats all the time. That's not really something that you can criticize one airline for above another.

• Locked thread