Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
I need to do some normal Alex this week still I've just been too lazy to do it. I'll either get my tank chest this week and legs next or vice-versa.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I never want to step foot in normal alex ever again after 5 weeks of repeated runs to gear up for savage.

ilifinicus
Mar 7, 2004

after doing 17 runs of A3 normal without seeing springs...

man, normal was even worse than it is now before they fixed the loot

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Ibram Gaunt posted:

I never want to step foot in normal alex ever again after 5 weeks of repeated runs to gear up for savage.

But my story arc :cry:

Rei_
May 16, 2004

The difference between confinement and rest is a shift in perspective

idk at this point i'm having trouble even logging on and i've noticed a lot of progression groups are haemorraging players. EXDR is really loving uninteresting, Alex Normal is a loving miserable slog, Alex Savage is just sort...like... too easy compared to FCOB for 1-2 and too hard for 3-4

Rei_ fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Sep 11, 2015

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
I really don't think AS3 is that hard. v:shobon:v

There are a lot of mechanics, but tackled one at a time it's very easy to make solid progression in the fight. We haven't hit any brick walls and see real progress towards beating it every night we run.

EDIT: I think we benefit a great deal from gear, though. Because we're a casual raiding group (as casual as anyone with a dedicated static can be, I suppose) we're not worried at all about being first or even if we don't clear right away. I think AS3 was really set with i200 in mind. We're all just about at that point or a little over, so our progression feels pretty on par with AS1 and AS2 for me.

Mr. Nice! fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Sep 11, 2015

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

SirPhoebos posted:

Queue it in DF, you'll be ok.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Mr. Nice! posted:

I really don't think AS3 is that hard. v:shobon:v

There are a lot of mechanics, but tackled one at a time it's very easy to make solid progression in the fight. We haven't hit any brick walls and see real progress towards beating it every night we run.

What phase are you guys on?

Zinkraptor
Apr 24, 2012

I feel like FFXIV would benefit from having a difficulty for raids between normal and savage, to prevent things like the bizarre difficulty spike between AS2 and AS3. As it is, savage is trying to appeal to both "regular" raiding guilds and the much more intense "race to world first" guilds, which would be fine if the raid had more than four bosses to spread its difficulty curve.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Someone suggested a while ago that the raids have 6 bosses instead of 4 so the curve is much smoother and I think that'd go a long way to make progression raiding less demoralizing.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Ibram Gaunt posted:

What phase are you guys on?

We're solidly in the twister phase. So far things have been going well just adjusting to the mechanics. The hardest part for me is having to stun two pistons at the end. I know phase 4 adds in a lot of extra stuff on top of the existing mechanics and know it's going to take us probably as long as the other phases combined.

ilifinicus
Mar 7, 2004

Mr. Nice! posted:

We're solidly in the twister phase. So far things have been going well just adjusting to the mechanics. The hardest part for me is having to stun two pistons at the end. I know phase 4 adds in a lot of extra stuff on top of the existing mechanics and know it's going to take us probably as long as the other phases combined.
Ifrit-Egi? World's best AST using Celestial Opposition? :confused:

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Someone suggested a while ago that the raids have 6 bosses instead of 4 so the curve is much smoother and I think that'd go a long way to make progression raiding less demoralizing.

The difficulty of this tier is strange even for the number of bosses though. FCOB felt like a pretty normal ramp between Imdagud to Kaliya and Phoenix (then oh poo poo Bahamut wall). RIght now Oppressor is a huge barrier for a lot of people and it's followed by a A2 victory lap, before the difficulty flies back upward for the rest of it. Ideally, perhaps Oppressor was less tightly tuned (cut the enrage slightly?) and A2S was made harder from waves 1-4 in a meaningful way.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

ilifinicus posted:

We've talked about possibly using ifrit, but I can just save a spineshatter and get both. I don't know for sure what will work best for us because we're still learning. It's something we'll sort out on monday.

Unsmart
Oct 6, 2006

ilifinicus posted:

It's actually really easy to do this with Celestial. Well, a lot easier than it was for me to hit with Holy (which I did a couple times). Importantly, it can't miss.

I'm not sure what comp you have that you need to double stun though. Stun or silence both work on mucilage. 3 caster?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Megaflare posted:

It's actually really easy to do this with Celestial. Well, a lot easier than it was for me to hit with Holy (which I did a couple times). Importantly, it can't miss.

I'm not sure what comp you have that you need to double stun though. Stun or silence both work on mucilage.

I'm not sure if anyone knew if silence worked or not. We pondered about holmgang but never tried it that I know of. If silence works then that saves a bit of hassle on me.

Our makeup right now is war/drk/sch/ast/smn/brd/blm/drg.

ilifinicus
Mar 7, 2004

Mucilage can be silenced

Megaflare posted:

The amount of times I have freaked because our AST has hit the stun by accident before it's even visible as a cast on my screen... "where IS IT???"

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

ilifinicus posted:

Mucilage can be silenced

Fantastic news.

Rei_
May 16, 2004

The difference between confinement and rest is a shift in perspective

idk i also really think going from the Allagan Fantasy Tron aesthetic to Alexander is a really loving miserable transition because everything looks the loving same in there. Like I can only think of a few coil turns that weren't visually impressive and some were downright STUNNING to look at (T5/T6/T7/T9/T10 to name a few) whereas so far Alexander has offered up a LOT of brushed copper

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

Welcome to the part of the patch cycle where everyone is disillusioned and bored, everyone!

Rei_ posted:

idk i also really think going from the Allagan Fantasy Tron aesthetic to Alexander is a really loving miserable transition because everything looks the loving same in there. Like I can only think of a few coil turns that weren't visually impressive and some were downright STUNNING to look at (T5/T6/T7/T9/T10 to name a few) whereas so far Alexander has offered up a LOT of brushed copper

I'm sure they'll find excuses to make it look weirder as we get toward the CPU room or whatever, Final Fantasy IV managed it and it has like, a lot less graphics.

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
i liked the look of alexander a lot, from the cramped corridors to the random tubes and poo poo. dont forget that arm of the father takes place in some kind of dilapidated stone cathedral/power plant.

Boten Anna posted:

Welcome to the part of the patch cycle where everyone is disillusioned and bored, everyone!

yeah, its like three months of content just isnt enough for some people anymore

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

I blame Neverreap. I'd pay SE a dollar to put Gubal Library straight into expert as-is.

I know the Mac version is a train wreck of sorts, but where are people buying it? Mog Station seems to just ask for a key to be input, and the link to purchase goes to their store where Mac isn't even a version filter.

ed: Oh, Google says have outright stopped selling it. I guess I won't be using it for retainers / expert.

nuru fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Sep 11, 2015

Vaguido
Feb 22, 2011

When the drug test comes back positive for performance enhancing drugs.
AS3 killed one of my raid members and I'm posting to say I'm mad about it.

It's still better than T7 imo.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Rei_ posted:

I'm not really sure I agree with this, A3 is quite pretty and diverse, and I really like how the boss room for A2 has kind of an almost "abandoned storage area" vibe going for it, with dust visible in the air in front of the spotlight-like areas.

I mean it's going to be hard to top the original arena for Turn 5, ie fighting Twintania on Bahamut's claw, but of course people found ways to exploit it so we can't do that again.

ilifinicus
Mar 7, 2004

Rei_ posted:

totally agree, alexander being this cutscene machine in tight corridors in which nothing looks remotely interesting is very sad. I remember the first time I went into T11 and holy loving poo poo that place STILL looks insanely cool

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

nuru posted:

I blame Neverreap. I'd pay SE a dollar to put Gubal Library straight into expert as-is.

I know the Mac version is a train wreck of sorts, but where are people buying it? Mog Station seems to just ask for a key to be input, and the link to purchase goes to their store where Mac isn't even a version filter.

ed: Oh, Google says have outright stopped selling it. I guess I won't be using it for retainers / expert.

Yoshi P came straight out and addressed the major issues the mac version had, apologized sincerely, and offered full refunds to anyone that purchased it. By the time 4.0 comes around they'll probably have a proper native app that isn't just a bad wine wrapper.

ilifinicus posted:

totally agree, alexander being this cutscene machine in tight corridors in which nothing looks remotely interesting is very sad. I remember the first time I went into T11 and holy loving poo poo that place STILL looks insanely cool

T11 is incredible.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

SirPhoebos posted:

If you want a bit of company for reassurance or (in later weeks) to help stave off boredom/frustration as you try to farm specific drops, that's another matter. But if, as it seems, you're mostly just interested in getting the clear for right now, don't worry about that part.

Just watch a video, hop in DF, mention that you're new but watched a video, and get it done. Difficulty is on par with the CT raids, maybe a little harder for A4, but nothing exceptionally punishing. Since it seems from your other posts like you're a tank, maybe grab a tank buddy to run with you and give you tips (and coordinate who's grabbing what in A2).

Bismarck and Ravana extreme are better cases of "SOMEONE HELP ME I WANT A PREMADE GROUP TO CLEAR THIS". Or Alex savage of course, but there's deliberately no story locked behind that.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.
Is Alexander Normal less of a poo poo-show on Duty Finder than it was right when it first opened? A1 was a really intense, fun fight but actually clearing it was like pulling teeth since nobody understood it. Then I got, I don't know, distracted by a shiny object or something and never cleared the other floors. But I probably should, if only to see the story.

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

Alexander Normal has been fine since the first week. It took pugs a bit of time to get 3/4 down, but those are pug groups so you expect that.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
:siren: A whole load of wrong opinions in this thread :siren:

I ran alex normal a whole lot and it's still fun, I'm sorry you guys hate fun. The drops during the first weeks sucked, but that's why they fixed them. I'll still run alex normal with anyone that wants to run as long as I have the time.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Vil posted:

If you want a bit of company for reassurance or (in later weeks) to help stave off boredom/frustration as you try to farm specific drops, that's another matter. But if, as it seems, you're mostly just interested in getting the clear for right now, don't worry about that part.

Just watch a video, hop in DF, mention that you're new but watched a video, and get it done. Difficulty is on par with the CT raids, maybe a little harder for A4, but nothing exceptionally punishing. Since it seems from your other posts like you're a tank, maybe grab a tank buddy to run with you and give you tips (and coordinate who's grabbing what in A2).

Bismarck and Ravana extreme are better cases of "SOMEONE HELP ME I WANT A PREMADE GROUP TO CLEAR THIS". Or Alex savage of course, but there's deliberately no story locked behind that.

Okay thanks for the pep talk.

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015
A1 can still be a bit hit or miss depending on if the DPS actually bother with the Alarums. I typically run it as a SCH instead of my main WAR because then it's a lot easier for me to Bane one of the oppressors and do the Alarums/missiles myself.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Truga posted:

:siren: A whole load of wrong opinions in this thread :siren:

I ran alex normal a whole lot and it's still fun, I'm sorry you guys hate fun. The drops during the first weeks sucked, but that's why they fixed them. I'll still run alex normal with anyone that wants to run as long as I have the time.

Get this: It's actually not fun.

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

I can't decide if it's more or less fun to need to get a Shaft 4 weeks in a row for my dps job compared to running WoD 14 times for the Healing gloves.

I like the encounters at least, even if they feel silly after doing savage.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Rei_ posted:

I have to agree with this. Plus, I think the story in coil was a lot more compelling. Gobbies are cool, don't get me wrong, but so far the Alex story is about a dragon girl being sad and anime. Plus, you know, I already know the story thanks to story mode. In Coil, there was a lot of mystery that got revealed bit by bit, and the culmination was, for lack of a better word, loving epic.

nuru posted:

I can't decide if it's more or less fun to need to get a Shaft 4 weeks in a row for my dps job compared to running WoD 14 times for the Healing gloves.

I like the encounters at least, even if they feel silly after doing savage.

Definitely the former. Imagine if you had to roll for esoterics at the end of a dungeon, and only one person got them. That's what Alex Normal loot is like.

Fister Roboto fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Sep 11, 2015

ilifinicus
Mar 7, 2004

Dragonball Grandpa is not a separate video game

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

Rincewind posted:

Is Alexander Normal less of a poo poo-show on Duty Finder than it was right when it first opened? A1 was a really intense, fun fight but actually clearing it was like pulling teeth since nobody understood it. Then I got, I don't know, distracted by a shiny object or something and never cleared the other floors. But I probably should, if only to see the story.

i'd say alexander 1 actually has the hardest mechanics of the four, the others are mostly just dps checks that have been trivialized by all the gear flowing into people's armories. the only other mechanic that still routinely wipes people in my experience is jagd doll explosions in alex 4

Fister Roboto posted:

Plus, you know, I already know the story thanks to story mode.

your opinion on the quality of the alexander story is entirely subjective and i wont step to it, but letting people who aren't in the top half percent of players see raid story content is unequivocally a good thing. the people that care about ff14's story aren't the same people who care about ff14's raid content, so why gate the former behind the latter?

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

Friends 'ave fun together.

nuru posted:

To this day I'm still not certain that those gloves actually exist.

Also, I loved the aesthetic of T11, but it's still my least favourite Coil turn mechanically. Maybe I'm just bitter about bards using Repelling Shot during tethers.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

quote:

your opinion on the quality of the alexander story is entirely subjective and i wont step to it, but letting people who aren't in the top half percent of players see raid story content is unequivocally a good thing. the people that care about ff14's story aren't the same people who care about ff14's raid content, so why gate the former behind the latter?

If you wanted to see the story without putting in any effort, there was always youtube.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ilifinicus
Mar 7, 2004

Dragon god summoned and sustained by imprisoned dragonkin in a giant moon prison, existing as a giant powercell for an entire civilization that was also its jailer, tied in with basically everything that happens in the game because it was the civilization that existed before the current one

vs

chuuni dream utopia robot fortress with steampunk things summoned by dumb goblins that want to monopolize cheese for themselves

• Locked thread