Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Code Geass also has a kinda uncomfortable Japanese nationalist message, not sure if that's discussed in the podcast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Code Geass' noodle-people art style disturbs me.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

code geass is good only because of Jeremiah Gottwald

Baka-nin
Jan 25, 2015

Terrible Opinions posted:

Code Geass also has a kinda uncomfortable Japanese nationalist message, not sure if that's discussed in the podcast.

Did it? I thought the whole premise of the show was `Imperialism is bad, also the dark arts based quite loosely on Celt myths rock`but then I never saw the second series, did this nationalism come to the fore later on?

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Jsor posted:

Or you could just forget that dumb robot show and watch Eureka Seven.

Disclaimer: Eureka Seven frequently forgets it's a robot show (and is better for it). And has that dumb, unnecessary, shounen as hell "limit of questions" plot. Which I guess was technically the main plot.

The Limits of Question isn't Shonen, it's part of the whole "Space Buddhism by way of Surfer New Age stuff" the series' got going on.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Given how much of it was framed through the lens of Japanese pride it really hit a Save the Pearls spot for me.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Baka-nin posted:

Did it? I thought the whole premise of the show was `Imperialism is bad, also the dark arts based quite loosely on Celt myths rock`but then I never saw the second series, did this nationalism come to the fore later on?

An American based superpower subjugates Japan through force of arms and puts its population under military occupation? Yeah, I can definitely see resentful Japanese Nationalism in that.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

code geass is good only because of Jeremiah Gottwald

And Gottwald is only good because of Crispin Freeman.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Terrible Opinions posted:

According to the podcast it's basically just Japan being the good guys and the cartoon caricature British Empire being the bad guys, with about as much intellectual depth as anything else in the show? I mean, it's not as ideologically correct as like a Miyazaki movie or some of the Gundams, but it's not nearly worth getting mad about unless you're the sort of person who gets mad at Japan having a flag and a national anthem at all

And yeah, the CLAMP character designs look hilarious

icantfindaname fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Sep 11, 2015

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
I liked Kallen in season 1. It's a shame what happened to her in Season 2. Though, she did have an impressive showing in the finale.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

icantfindaname posted:

According to the podcast it's basically just Japan being the good guys and the cartoon caricature British Empire being the bad guys, with about as much intellectual depth as anything else in the show? I mean, it's not as Ideologically Correct as like a Miyazaki movie or some of the Gundams, but it's not nearly worth criticizing unless you get mad at Japan having a flag and a national anthem (there are people who do)

And yeah, the CLAMP character designs look hilarious

Also, Japan gets a white saviour and the Refrain episode directly mocks a whole string of Japanese nationalist talking points, further diluting that message if they'd wanted to push it.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Senerio posted:

I liked Kallen in season 1. It's a shame what happened to her in Season 2. Though, she did have an impressive showing in the finale.

It's okay, they made her a brokenly good character in Super Robot Wars to compensate/because the producer likes her.

Baka-nin
Jan 25, 2015

Arcsquad12 posted:

An American based superpower subjugates Japan through force of arms and puts its population under military occupation? Yeah, I can definitely see resentful Japanese Nationalism in that.

Err yeah, this has been literally years since I saw it but I do remember several episodes portraying Japanese Nationalists as bloodthirsty terrorist thugs, I remember this because it was around that point that I stopped watching. And the "hero" isn't Japanese and I'm pretty sure he didn't care about Japan's right to self determination. Wasn't he motivated purely by his desire for revenge in a weird family feud with his uncle/father/grandfather/secondcousin? the King fellow. Also I'm pretty sure the villains were depicted as massive racists, generally speaking the bad guys get to say and do things the audience isn't suppose to agree with. Although this wouldn't be the first time the audience got the wrong message.

Edit: I've just reread this and in case this comes across as a fan rant, I'd just like to emphasis this all based on years old memories of about a dozenish episodes, I stopped watching after that fellow with the Chainsaw and Geordi from Star Trek visor showed up (that was the same show right?). And I acknowledge that I could be completely wrong.

P.S. I just remembered that my vague recollections of the plot of Geis Geass are very similar to the history of Laos and the victory of the Pathet Laos. There was a struggle between Royals, in a Kingdom Colonised by the French and supported by the Americans, one of the Royals ran off and joined the Pathet Laos a rebel group whom rose to power with the help of mechas the North Vietnamese. So if it was based in Laos Code would actually work as a patriotic myth.

P.P.S. I'm normal, I swear.

Baka-nin fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Sep 11, 2015

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Wheat Loaf posted:

Code Geass wasn't bad or anything, but would it have gotten as much attention as it did without all the CLAMP designs?

I did as much as Clamp did. The character designer is the same as the crew that did Gun X Sword, the previous series done by the same team. Clamp was a marketing gimmick, they barely did anything.

Takahiro Kimura also did the designs for Gaigaogar and Godanner as well. He does the super-lanky skinny thing as his style.

Code Geass was cool because it had a protagonist that, even rare today, just murdered and manipulated everyone with such charisma and theatrics.

Eureka Seven is worse by virtue of its sequel existing and making GBS threads on it. I can't watch that show without knowing the whole premise is sabotaged and racial difference wins the day.

Tae fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Sep 11, 2015

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
People consider it okay to like 24, and that lead to people being literally tortured.

Cyron
Mar 10, 2014

by zen death robot
24 was also a bad show after season 1. it just got more silly.

Junior Jr.
Oct 4, 2014

by sebmojo
Buglord
Some weirdos like Kill La Kill for some reason, but all I see are scantily clad girls in skimpy mecha suits.

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
That might be the reason

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Hard to tell though. . .

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Eureka seven's limit of questions pissed me off exactly when his sister decided that being part of the alien collective that took over Earth was worth more than helping her own brother out. I did not feel bad when she and her alien hive mind was blown to cinders.

Hell I liked the villain more simply cause his idea did sort of work and he wasn't a hypocrite on his actions, unlike the main team who were organ smuggling terrorists. Yes you could say that they were former officers who saw the systemic discrimination of races, but the point stands that they didn't accomplish anything noteworthy other than being a mild nuisance.

Anton in his short stint with them was one of the best aspects cause he made the team actually make progress to their goals. And he had probably one of the better relationships in anime by sheer virtue of being himself.

24 is hilarious because everyone is doing terrible things to each other. And then causes this feedback loop where it seems like everyone becomes the bad guy in Jack Bower's eyes. Then says that Jack is right all along.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Dewey was a massive hypocrite because he did everything because he wanted to be King.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
I don't think you were actually supposed to root for the Gekkostate until the very end when Holland and Talho finally grew the gently caress up and pulled their heads out of their asses. Up til that point, E7 was practically laying across the "THESE ARE A BUNCH OF TERRIBLE PEOPLE WHO ARE NOMINAL HEROES AT BEST" button.

It kind of culminates early on when Charles and Ray try to relentlessly murder the Gekkostate and you actually kind of wind up rooting for them because they are objectively better people, all things considered, than Holland and co.

As for 24, I was actually surprised last year when Jack just up and threw Michelle Fairley's character out a window for no reason other than spite. I wasn't surprised that it happened, or that it happened so abruptly, I was surprised that I actually burst out laughing when it did. Because after all that had led up to that moment, that right there felt like the moment the show finally lifted the mask and winked at the audience to let them know without actually saying it, "yeah, we're a self-parody now". Jack just threw a handcuffed and neutralized woman out a 7th story window because she sassed him. Holy gently caress.

Junior Jr.
Oct 4, 2014

by sebmojo
Buglord

nine-gear crow posted:

As for 24, I was actually surprised last year when Jack just up and threw Michelle Fairley's character out a window for no reason other than spite. I wasn't surprised that it happened, or that it happened so abruptly, I was surprised that I actually burst out laughing when it did. Because after all that had led up to that moment, that right there felt like the moment the show finally lifted the mask and winked at the audience to let them know without actually saying it, "yeah, we're a self-parody now". Jack just threw a handcuffed and neutralized woman out a 7th story window because she sassed him. Holy gently caress.

Jesus...now I wish he did something similar in MGSV.

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.
DSteck's Sonichu finale live stream is live now!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OumZ8HH83t8

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007
Denial isn't just a river in Egypt, huh? Nah, get fucked mate.
Movie Nights - Showgirls

I'd somehow forgotten this movie is over two hours long, and its kind of mind-boggling that it came out 20 years ago. Also it had an amazingly cheesy teaser trailer that sadly isn't on the DVD.

Infamous Sphere
Nov 8, 2010
Blargh oh my god yes, I have read fanfiction, in a way it's a guilty pleasure/so bad it's good thing. I can't read trashy romance though. Fanfiction..oh god..some of the anatomical limitations are..well..let's just say these women don't very much und
It's such a bizarre movie. I watched it with a couple of friends, and when it got to that volcano themed vegas show I laughed so hard that I burst into tears. Everyone acting like an alien is definitely what makes it such a great bad movie - and when you think about it, the best good bad movies always have people acting like weird aliens and doing/behaving in a way that no human ever would.

That's a great fishnet top Alison, where on earth did you find something like that? A costume shop? I used to work in one of those and we definitely sold a few bizarro neon fishnet things.

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

"You had best not do that, Avatar!"

Tae posted:

I did as much as Clamp did. The character designer is the same as the crew that did Gun X Sword, the previous series done by the same team. Clamp was a marketing gimmick, they barely did anything.

Takahiro Kimura also did the designs for Gaigaogar and Godanner as well. He does the super-lanky skinny thing as his style.

CLAMP still did the original designs for the main characters and so on. Kimura just made them easier to animate and created some more for the rest of the cast. I think they're both fitting for the material's over-the-top content. As for the actual Code Geass talk...I liked the show more than the podcast hosts did, but I wouldn't get angry. They just presented arguments that I'd both agree and disagree with. Why can't people be more chill about that? It's completely okay for Internet critics to hold opinions that don't match yours, folks.

Speaking of Gun X Sword, that did share a bunch of staff yet had a different writer (same dude who created Samurai Flamenco and Read or Die, among others). GXS is still "style over substance" but pretty entertaining and less prone to causing headaches (one ANN reviewer did unnecessarily freak out over its early resemblace to Trigun, as if that's a negative, though the whole thing quickly diverges because it's a story about vengeance instead of pacifism).

wielder fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Sep 12, 2015

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

code geass is loving shameful and if you ever even considered liking it at some point, you're probably shameful too

e: this post sponsored by Domino's

Alaois fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Sep 12, 2015

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

Alaois posted:

code geass is loving shameful and if you ever even considered liking it at some point, you're probably shameful too

You are now on my hit list. Beware as I prepare a salvo of silly hate mail!

Edit: Domino's sucks! And your momma is ugly!

wielder fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Sep 12, 2015

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

but non-jokingly, the product placement in that show is really funny, and probably not in an intentional way.

dramatic scene, dramatic scene, CUT IN OF GIRL ORDERING PIZZA HUT, dramatic scene

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

Alaois posted:

but non-jokingly, the product placement in that show is really funny, and probably not in an intentional way.

dramatic scene, dramatic scene, CUT IN OF GIRL ORDERING PIZZA HUT, dramatic scene

Nah, they were all in on the joke. Here's what Uncle Google has to say:

quote:

Originally Pizza Hut was supposed to make only about 3 ~ 4 appearances in the show, but either Taniguchi or the producers must have been really amused by the idea and added all sorts of scenes- The marketing manager was really shocked when the delivery motorcycle actually made an appearance in the show. Neither did he expect to see the Pizza Hut logo all over the place.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

wielder posted:

Nah, they were all in on the joke. Here's what Uncle Google has to say:

gross

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

i like anime because the people who make it are fully aware of how bad it is

the people who watch it though, more ambiguous

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Alaois posted:

e: this post sponsored by Domino's

Speaking of Domino's and animes, is Domino's still trying to make Hatsune Miku a thing in America? Along with that one car company?

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

icantfindaname posted:

i like anime because the people who make it are fully aware of how bad it is

Anime is often very, very silly. But that's not necessarily bad when both creators and fans agree about this.

It can be a huge boon. See also: Jojo's Bizarre Adventure.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Leal posted:

Speaking of Domino's and animes, is Domino's still trying to make Hatsune Miku a thing in America? Along with that one car company?

i want to say they stopped, but you can probably still download the domino's Hatsune Miku app!

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

MonsieurChoc posted:

The Limits of Question isn't Shonen, it's part of the whole "Space Buddhism by way of Surfer New Age stuff" the series' got going on.

Maybe I should've said "JRPG". I won't deny that the series would be different without it, and it has a good degree of symbolic significance, but the whole thing heavily reminded me of every lame excuse to kill god in every JRPG ever. They didn't actually kill god, of course, but it had the exact same general feeling as a JRPG plot. You're right that it's not really a generic shounen trope, though I think a decent subset of shounen anime use that same brand of weird pseudo-spiritualist reason the world is going to end.

Linear Zoetrope fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Sep 12, 2015

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
Holy poo poo Dstecks, way to drop the goddamn mic.

PassTheRemote
Mar 15, 2007

Number 6 holds The Village record in Duck Hunt.

The first one to kill :laugh: wins.

DoctorWhat posted:

Holy poo poo Dstecks, way to drop the goddamn mic.

Cannot say I expected that. Kudos Dstecks, that is one hell of a way to end the review.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Goodbye, farewell, and amen.

• Locked thread