Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
man I still think html without any ids or classes would look pretty cool but ok yeah it's a terrible idea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

fuf posted:

man I still think html without any ids or classes would look pretty cool but ok yeah it's a terrible idea.

I think a house without any nails or screws would look pretty cool too.

denzelcurrypower
Jan 28, 2011
I have a quick question regarding setting the height for tables in HTML. I've been trying to make a class schedule. I have successfully set the width to fit the screen by using <table width="100%">. However, the schedule is vertically long and requires scrolling down. I would like to compress the table to fit the screen. I've tried table height="100%" which doesn't do anything. Reading online, people said to make sure that html and body are both set to 100%. I tried this as well with no luck. Here's the code, would greatly appreciate a quick reply!

code:
<!DOCTYPE html>
<html>
	<head>
    	<style>
			table, th, td {
   				border: 1px solid black;
    			border-collapse: collapse;
			}
		</style>
		<title>Name Name - Class Timetable</title>
	</head>
	<body>
    	<h1 align="center">Name Name - Class Timetable</h1>
        <h2 align="center">Semester 1 - Fall Term</h2>
        <table width="100%">
            <tr>
            	<td></td>
                <td><h3 align="center">Monday</h3></td>
                <td><h3 align="center">Tuesday</h3></td>
                <td><h3 align="center">Wednesday</h3></td>
                <td><h3 align="center">Thursday</h3></td>
                <td><h3 align="center">Friday</h3></td>
            </tr>
            <tr>
            	<td><h3 align="center">8:00am</h3></td>
                <td></td>
                <td></td>
                <td rowspan="5" bgcolor="#66FFFF"><h3 align="center">Java Programming I</h3><h4 align="center">
		8:00am-10:40am Room J132<br> ITS 5102 0NB</h4>
                <td></td>
                <td rowspan="20"><h3 align="center"><i>(No classes)</i></h3></td>
            </tr>
            <tr>
            	<td><h3 align="center">8:30am</h3></td>
                <td></td>
                <td></td>
                <td></td>
            </tr>
            <tr>
            	<td><h3 align="center">9:00am</h3></td>
                <td></td>
                <td></td>
                <td></td>
            </tr>
            <tr>
            	<td><h3 align="center">9:30am</h3></td>
                <td></td>
                <td></td>
                <td></td>
            </tr>
            <tr>
            	<td><h3 align="center">10:00am</h3></td>
                <td rowspan="3" bgcolor="#CCFF99"><h3 align="center">Introduction to Database and SQL</h3><h4 align="center">
		9:50am-11:35am Room J140<br> ITS 5104 0NB</h4></td>
                <td rowspan="3" bgcolor="#CCFF99"><h3 align="center">Introduction to Database and SQL</h3><h4 align="center">
		9:50am-11:35am Room E417<br> ITS 5104 0NB</h4></td>
                <td></td>
            </tr>
            <tr>
            	<td><h3 align="center">10:30am</h3></td>
                <td></td>
                <td></td>
            </tr>
            	<td><h3 align="center">11:00am</h3></td>
                <td></td>
                <td></td>
            <tr>
            	<td><h3 align="center">11:30am</h3></td>
                <td rowspan="4" bgcolor="#FFFF99"><h3 align="center">Web Programming and Design</h3>
		<h4 align="center">11:40am-1:25pm Room J140<br> ITS 5103 0NB</h4>
                <td rowspan="2" bgcolor="#FFCCFF"><h3 align="center">Operating Systems</h3><h4 align="center">
		11:40am-12:30pm Room E422<br> ITS 5101 0NB</h4>
                <td rowspan="4" bgcolor="#FF9966"><h3 align="center">Requirement Analysis and Process Modelling</h3>
		<h4 align="center">11:40am-1:25pm Room J132<br> ITS 5510 0NB</h4>
                <td></td>
            </tr>
            <tr>
            	<td><h3 align="center">12:00pm</h3></td>
                <td></td>
            </tr>
            <tr>
            	<td><h3 align="center">12:30pm</h3></td>
                <td></td>
                <td></td>
            </tr>
            <tr>
            	<td><h3 align="center">1:00pm</h3></td>
                <td></td>
                <td></td>
            </tr>
            <tr>
            	<td><h3 align="center">1:30pm</h3></td>
                <td></td>
                <td></td>
                <td></td>
                <td></td>
            </tr>
            <tr>
            	<td><h3 align="center">2:00pm</h3></td>
                <td></td>
                <td></td>
                <td></td>
                <td></td>
            </tr>
            <tr>
            	<td><h3 align="center">2:30pm</h3></td>
                <td rowspan="4" bgcolor="#FF9966"><h3 align="center">Requirement Analysis and Process Modelling</h3>
		<h4 align="center">2:25pm-4:10pm Room E417<br> ITS 5510 0NB</h4>
                <td rowspan="2" bgcolor="#66FFFF"><h3 align="center">Java Programming I</h3><h4 align="center">
		2:25pm-3:15pm Room E422<br> ITS 5102 0NB</h4>
            	<td></td>
            	<td rowspan="3" bgcolor="#FFFF99"><h3 align="center">Web Programming and Design</h3><h4 align="center">
		2:25pm-4:10pm Room J140<br> ITS 5103 0NB</h4>
            </tr>
            <tr>
            	<td><h3 align="center">3:00pm</h3></td>
                <td></td>
            </tr>
            <tr>
            	<td><h3 align="center">3:30pm</h3></td>
                <td></td>
                <td></td>
            </tr>
            <tr>
            	<td><h3 align="center">4:00pm</h3></td>
                <td></td>
                <td></td>
                <td rowspan="4" bgcolor="#FFCCFF"><h3 align="center">Operating Systems</h3><h4 align="center">
		4:15pm-6:00pm Room J140<br> ITS 5101 0NB</h4>
            </tr>
            <tr>
            	<td><h3 align="center">4:30pm</h3></td>
                <td></td>
                <td></td>
                <td></td>
            </tr>
            <tr>
            	<td><h3 align="center">5:00pm</h3></td>
                <td></td>
                <td></td>
                <td></td>
            </tr>
            <tr>
            	<td><h3 align="center">5:30pm</h3></td>
                <td></td>
                <td></td>
                <td></td>
            </tr>
        </table>    
	</body>
</html>

denzelcurrypower fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Sep 11, 2015

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

If it's long enough to scroll, you should let it scroll. What happens if someone is on a phone in landscape mode and they look at your table and you've forced it to compress to window height?

Also that code is bad and you should feel bad. Inline styles, deprecated attributes... ugh. That'd better be an HTML email or something.

The March Hare
Oct 15, 2006

Je rêve d'un
Wayne's World 3
Buglord

Lumpy posted:

I think a house without any nails or screws would look pretty cool too.

They tend to, yeah.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

The March Hare posted:

They tend to, yeah.

a perfect visual representation of selector nesting gone mad

Which reminds me of something that does not sit quite right: I've seen people using SCSS nest a media query for every individual element inside of said element, which apparently is nicer than having a big block of media queries. But why on Earth would I want to declare to same media query over and over again, rather than the other way around?

my bony fealty fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Sep 12, 2015

McGlockenshire
Dec 16, 2005

GOLLOCKS!

my bony fealty posted:

Which reminds me of something that does not sit quite right: I've seen people using SCSS nest a media query for every individual element inside of said element, which apparently is nicer than having a big block of media queries. But why on Earth would I want to declare to same media query over and over again, rather than the other way around?

When editing the style for an element, you'll be more likely to notice that it's styled differently based on a media query when you're inside the element itself, instead of having to find the element in the context of every media query, and then finding all the media queries that mention the event. Doing this by nesting also helps retain the context of the page when you're thinking about the design. Sure, it's messier, but it can greatly ease later maintenance.

v1nce
Sep 19, 2004

Plant your brassicas in may and cover them in mulch.

my bony fealty posted:

using SCSS nest a media query for every individual element [...] why on Earth would I want to declare to same media query over and over again

You don't have to!

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

McGlockenshire posted:

When editing the style for an element, you'll be more likely to notice that it's styled differently based on a media query when you're inside the element itself, instead of having to find the element in the context of every media query, and then finding all the media queries that mention the event. Doing this by nesting also helps retain the context of the page when you're thinking about the design. Sure, it's messier, but it can greatly ease later maintenance.

Yeah, this makes sense. I'm still getting used to working with preprocessors and slowly seeing more and more how much easier it makes maintaining/modifying styles.

I figured there was an easy way to do it with mixins, thanks for the tip!

onionradish
Jul 6, 2006

That's spicy.
I'm looking for some paid, professional help with .htaccess. Alereon has given me an OK on this.

I'm dealing with a simple PHP-based CMS for some clients that "works for me" in local development, but when deployed to different hosts, subfolders, etc. far too frequently pukes up an unhelpful "500" error due to the .htaccess file. I'm sure the .htaccess file has basic mistakes in it. While trial and error sometimes resolves it, it takes way too much time and frustration to figure out the particular tweak that happens to work, and I'm out of patience.

I'd like someone to correct the current .htaccess file to work for the majority of hosting circumstances and give input on the corner cases (301 redirects, 410 gone, etc.). I've wasted too much time on trial and error and googling -- I'm looking for someone who can give specific feedback so it works when deployed, and when it doesn't I've got someone to ask for help.

If interested, shoot me a PM. I'll follow up with specifics on the CMS, redirects, current .htaccess file etc. so you can give an estimate and I can set up payment terms. I'm not looking for free work or some sort of "contest/spec work".

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun
So I'm trying to mess around with Node and Angular, and grabbed a Yeoman generator for Angular projects so I could dive in on Windows.

I then wanted to move it to a Dropbox directory so I could play with it on my laptop, but npm generates these insane deep directory structures that are completely impossible to deal with on Windows, because Windows has file path depth limits, and as far as I can tell the npm folks haven't fixed this in years. Is there some workaround or is this just an npm thing that nobody wants to fix? I'm not even sure I should throw it in Dropbox because it might just break that, too.

v1nce
Sep 19, 2004

I've raised issues like that before with various projects and got a very gently caress windows response.

I can't remember if this actually works or not, but you can afford yourself a bit more depth by assigning the location to a drive:
code:
subst W: C:\Users\Ghost of Reagan Past\Documents\Dropbox\Derp
The only other alternative is do the node stuff in a linux VM. If you install them as global moduless they shouldn't be in the shared path

onionradish posted:

If interested, shoot me a PM.

Let me know if nobody else bites.

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe

Ghost of Reagan Past posted:

So I'm trying to mess around with Node and Angular, and grabbed a Yeoman generator for Angular projects so I could dive in on Windows.

I then wanted to move it to a Dropbox directory so I could play with it on my laptop, but npm generates these insane deep directory structures that are completely impossible to deal with on Windows, because Windows has file path depth limits, and as far as I can tell the npm folks haven't fixed this in years. Is there some workaround or is this just an npm thing that nobody wants to fix? I'm not even sure I should throw it in Dropbox because it might just break that, too.
It's a known issue with NPM on Windows and unfortunately you're just going to have to deal with it. If you want to work on your code in multiple locations your best bet is to drop everything BUT your /node_modules/ folder (or wherever you have npm dump stuff) into Dropbox and then reinstall those dependencies on your other machines via your defined package.json. You'd have to figure out how to get your project to read your node_modules folder, wherever you might choose to put it.

As an alternative I'd highly recommend using Bitbucket or GitHub to store your code. When you push code up to it, you can tell it to ignore specific folders (like node_modules). And when you're ready to work on the code on another machine, you can pull it all down and then install everything NPM-related locally with

pre:
npm install
It'll read your project's package.json and install everything inside it.

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun
I guess I'll just throw it on Github then...this is a really silly issue and all I find on Google is the npm devs blaming Microsoft, and Microsoft saying "tough poo poo, we aren't changing anything." I just don't know why it has to create such giant directory structures.

:laffo: I'm trying it some other way and the paths are too long for the Microsoft build tools to do their poo poo. Get your poo poo together npm. Or Yeoman. Or whoever thinks this is an okay state of affairs.

Ghost of Reagan Past fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Sep 15, 2015

DarkLotus
Sep 30, 2001

Lithium Hosting
Personal, Reseller & VPS Hosting
30-day no risk Free Trial &
90-days Money Back Guarantee!

You should really just use vagrant, it makes dev on Windows easy. You can edit files in Windows with your favorite editor or IDE but everything runs in a linux virtual server.
It also keeps your system free and clear of all the crap you have to install just to make things work half-assed in Windows.

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008
fucking stupid, dont listen to me

It won't 'break' Dropbox, but it might have trouble syncing, and can take a long rear end time indexing all the files. The folder trees are not impossible to deal with, but can be a hassle. Windows Explorer can MOVE such folders, but cannot delete them. NPM and Node have no problem creating and reading the files, since the issue is not with NTFS but with Windows Explorer.

Maybe try a sync batch file which zips & copies all files?

NPM 3.0 is supposed to fix the issue, but they seem to be dragging their feet with it.

I guess I'll just throw it on Github then...this is a really silly issue and all I find on Google is the npm devs blaming Microsoft, and Microsoft saying "tough poo poo, we aren't changing anything." I just don't know why it has to create such giant directory structures.

:laffo: I'm trying it some other way and the paths are too long for the Microsoft build tools to do their poo poo. Get your poo poo together npm.

It's a really stupid issue. The NPM guys don't want to change it because they made a decision a long time ago which works on linux, but doesn't so well on Windows. Instead of change their minds, they've blamed Windows for it, while snarkily maintaining that "Node fully supports Windows, however, some 3rd party tools (Windows File Explorer) do not support Node". There are other ways of perfectly representing a dependency graph, but they refuse to admit they might have chosen a poor method, and only very reluctantly started trying to fix it recently.

Skandranon fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Sep 15, 2015

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

NPM 3 beta is out with flat directories, just use that

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008

piratepilates posted:

Did not know that! Will try it out tomorrow, I've had my own share of NPM/Windows issues.

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

piratepilates posted:

I don't know if it works with Yeoman yet but I just set up the project on my (Ubuntu) laptop synced to Github, so I'll just use npm3 beta and install the dependencies that way on my desktop later.

This was entirely too complicated.

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008

I don't know if it works with Yeoman yet but I just set up the project on my (Ubuntu) laptop synced to Github, so I'll just use npm3 beta and install the dependencies that way on my desktop later.

This was entirely too complicated.

I totally agree with you, but npm3 looks to solve all(most) of the issues with Windows, and the benefits are significant. Gulp is a great build tool for Angular apps (Grunt is the devil!).

v1nce
Sep 19, 2004

Development wouldn't be development unless you spend two-thirds of your time learning what the gently caress is wrong with the tools rather than actually making the thing you want to make.

Wait, this isn't that thread.

neurotech
Apr 22, 2004

Deep in my dreams and I still hear her callin'
If you're alone, I'll come home.

v1nce posted:

Development wouldn't be development unless you spend two-thirds of your time learning what the gently caress is wrong with the tools rather than actually making the thing you want to make.

Wait, this isn't that thread.

Or any programming thread, really.

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

Quick question!

For those working at various companies, do you spend a lot of time working with UX designers? I know that frontend development duties have very little with UX design, but since the latter is controlling the entire user experience of the product you're working on, I feel it would make sense that front end developers would have to collaborate with UXers on a semi-regular basis.

Maybe someone could clue me in on a typical day on the job based on a project's lifecycle from start to finish? It would really help me out with a few personal financial decisions

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

I mean I can answer that from the end of the UX Designer. I'm talking to engineers, front end and back end basically everyday to make sure I'm rock solid on both the intent of features and what we're capable of. Just as they need to know what I'm planning to make any adjustments. I attend sprint planning, design is ideally done before any code is written, and that design is something that is signed off on by both stakeholders and engineering.

Sure you could have less communication but that's lovely stuff imo.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

The Dave posted:

Sure you could have less communication but that's lovely stuff imo.

Agreed. I've played both roles in the past in each situation (little contact between UX and devs vs. lots of contact between UX and devs). The latter is alway better and any company worth its salt will ensure there's plenty of opportunities for it to take place.

The reason is because this:

Parrotine posted:

I know that frontend development duties have very little with UX design

is entirely untrue. A front end developer's job is to actually produce all of the things things the UX designer dreamed up, so a dev's job has everything to do with UX design. It's important for both to be aware of what's going on in the other person's mind, lest the UX designer promise things the dev can't deliver due to project or browser constraints.

e: Also I'm confused about this:

Parrotine posted:

Maybe someone could clue me in on a typical day on the job based on a project's lifecycle from start to finish? It would really help me out with a few personal financial decisions

What exactly are you getting at here? Not sure how this situation plays into your personal financial decisions unless you're trying to pick a job...?

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

I'm deciding to sign up for an online course between Web Design and UX Design. Both are the same cost, but I feel that I should pursue the UX one because it would have a better chance of fleshing out my portfolio, as well as giving me a better advantage to getting my foot in the door.

I was asking because i've spent the entire year trying to learn the ins-and-outs of Front End Web Development, and i'm kind of burned out frankly. It's something that's taking its sweet time for me to understand, and I need to make a jump a career soon since my time window is almost up. I'm glad i'm wrong about my assumptions between collab between UX and Front End, because it helps me cement my decision to pursue the UX design course over the Web Design one. I feel like, based on my experiences throughout this year, that I can continue to teach myself more about Web Design on my own without the aid of a course, while UX is something that is a bit more of a mystery for me. I was worried that pursuing UX over the Web Design one would potentially be throwing money down a hole if they weren't closely related in some way.

For me to continue my studies in Front End Development I need to pull in more income, and probably work on it on the side while I do a 9-5 job working a field that keeps me close to the action, such as UX. I've done a few internships as a UI designer in the past, and i'm thinking that if I market myself out there as a UXer with a solid understanding of both Web Design and Development, it'll make a company want to take a chance on me so I can get my foot in the door somewhere.

But I have to step away from FE Web Development for a bit cause it's just murdering me on grasping these concepts. It'll probably take me another year of hard work before these ideas are as fluid in understanding as the bread-and-butter basic ones for Web Design. I'm gonna have to sign up for some hands-on workshops where I meet with someone in person to put together various projects step-by-step, cause reading a course explanation with a vague set of instructions on what they want me to put together is just not cutting it on my side of things.

White Light fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Sep 15, 2015

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008

Parrotine posted:

I'm deciding to sign up for an online course between Web Design and UX Design. Both are the same cost, but I feel that I should pursue the UX one because it would have a better chance of fleshing out my portfolio, as well as giving me a better advantage to getting my foot in the door.

I was asking because i've spent the entire year trying to learn the ins-and-outs of Front End Web Development, and i'm kind of burned out frankly. It's something that's taking its sweet time for me to understand, and I need to make a jump a career soon since my time window is almost up. I'm glad i'm wrong about my assumptions between collab between UX and Front End, because it helps me cement my decision to pursue the UX design course over the Web Design one. I feel like, based on my experiences throughout this year, that I can continue to teach myself more about Web Design on my own without the aid of a course, while UX is something that is a bit more of a mystery for me. I was worried that pursuing UX over the Web Design one would potentially be throwing money down a hole if they weren't closely related in some way.

For me to continue my studies in Front End Development I need to pull in more income, and probably work on it on the side while I do a 9-5 job working a field that keeps me close to the action, such as UX. I've done a few internships as a UI designer in the past, and i'm thinking that if I market myself out there as a UXer with a solid understanding of both Web Design and Development, it'll make a company want to take a chance on me so I can get my foot in the door somewhere.

But I have to step away from FE Web Development for a bit cause it's just murdering me on grasping these concepts. It'll probably take me another year of hard work before these ideas are as fluid in understanding as the bread-and-butter basic ones for Web Design. I'm gonna have to sign up for some hands-on workshops where I meet with someone in person to put together various projects step-by-step, cause reading a course explanation with a vague set of instructions on what they want me to put together is just not cutting it on my side of things.

UX has it's own strange things to learn, like how users get frustrated, how they pay attention to things, complimentary colours, etc. It's a lot more than just building wireframes and HTML.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Yeah, UX also isn't necessarily UI. I don't know what the courses are, but there is a possibility you take the classes but are still bad at 'web design', assuming it means more of a marketing design thing.

I'm hiring a UX designer right now and the things we look for are skills in user stories, flow, doing research, interviewing, rapid prototyping and testing, comfort working with a team of engineers, comfort defending designs to stakeholders.

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

Would you happen to have the curriculum of the UX design course available? How much of it is do to with talking to users, research methodologies, maybe applied psychology, etc., vs. UI design?

(I'm a part-time HCI grad student.)

v1nce
Sep 19, 2004

Parrotine posted:

I'm deciding to sign up for an online course between Web Design and UX Design.

Web is pretty broad. I've been doing it for 10 years and there's stuff you could be doing right now that I've never even glanced at. What sort of things have you learnt so far? What are you learning right now? Where do you want to go with it? What are you struggling with?

Between the two courses, I'd probably push you towards UX. I'm entirely self-taught and I'm strongly of the opinion that anything actually web development related you can learn through a combination of google and time. UX on the other hand is something you just have to get a feel for. Some of the best developers I've seen couldn't UX their way out of a paper bag, and when working in web - on any side of the fence - it's an important thing to have an understanding of.

Bonus points if it's not just a web UX course, because you can apply general UX lessons to code, documentation, basically anything.

Of course, this banks on the course actually being not-lovely.

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

Insanite posted:

Would you happen to have the curriculum of the UX design course available? How much of it is do to with talking to users, research methodologies, maybe applied psychology, etc., vs. UI design?

(I'm a part-time HCI grad student.)

Sure thing! Course curriculum is near the bottom of the page:

https://www.thinkful.com/courses/learn-ux-online/

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

piratepilates posted:

This seems to have worked perfectly. The node_modules folder is huge now. Thanks!

Safe and Secure!
Jun 14, 2008

OFFICIAL SA THREAD RUINER
SPRING 2013
I'm putting together a web app at work to make some things easier for some people and some things possible for other people. Thing is, I don't know anything about design. Specifically, I don't know what I need to be thinking about it to make sure it's 1. easy to use and 2. not ugly.

Any suggestions on reading material? The stuff in the OP seems to be about typography and how to use CSS, when I'm more interested in answering questions like "how do i make it obvious that the (sometimes non-technical) user needs to click this button to get their work done, without making everyone read a manual for what should be a really simple process of like 2-4 clicks?"

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

Safe and Secure! posted:

I'm putting together a web app at work to make some things easier for some people and some things possible for other people. Thing is, I don't know anything about design. Specifically, I don't know what I need to be thinking about it to make sure it's 1. easy to use and 2. not ugly.

Any suggestions on reading material? The stuff in the OP seems to be about typography and how to use CSS, when I'm more interested in answering questions like "how do i make it obvious that the (sometimes non-technical) user needs to click this button to get their work done, without making everyone read a manual for what should be a really simple process of like 2-4 clicks?"

Read "Don't Make Me Think" and "The Design of Everyday Things"

Make a dirt simple UI prototype that lets you test your design. If the user needs to click a certain button sometimes, mock that up on screen (it can literally be anything... html, a giant image, whatever.) Get some people in your target audience, sit them down in front of it and say "this is a new program to help you at work. You need to do _____. Show me how you would try and do that with this program." Then shut up and watch them. When they fail, ask why they did what they did. When they succeed, ask them why they did what they did. Learn from that, and improve. Make sure you tell them the "generalized" task, not the "action in my program" version: "You need to add somebody to the company softball team" vs. "You need to click the 'company sports' button then the 'add staff' button".

As for not ugly: Good typography, minimal use of color, plenty of whitespace.

Lumpy fucked around with this message at 12:26 on Sep 16, 2015

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Solid.

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

Parrotine posted:

Sure thing! Course curriculum is near the bottom of the page:

https://www.thinkful.com/courses/learn-ux-online/

Doesn't look entirely bad! It's good that there's at least a little user interaction there (though it might just be surveys).

Lumpy's advice to Safe and Secure holds true for you, too: Read "Don't Make Me Think" and "The Design of Everyday Things."

an skeleton
Apr 23, 2012

scowls @ u
I'm tasked with the job of evaluating if it is feasible to transition our web app from using MySQL to using MongoDB (as well as some other technologies).

Has anyone done this, and if so, how was the transition? Any advice? Should I write a script mapping the old data to the new document-based system or start more from "scratch"?

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008

an skeleton posted:

I'm tasked with the job of evaluating if it is feasible to transition our web app from using MySQL to using MongoDB (as well as some other technologies).

Has anyone done this, and if so, how was the transition? Any advice? Should I write a script mapping the old data to the new document-based system or start more from "scratch"?

Do you have a specific reason to do this, or does someone think MongoDB is magically faster?

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

I have been playing around with Meteor, which uses Mongo for its database layer. I'm not sure how to structure my data as I'm not sure where to denormalize, where to embed, etc.

I'm making a deck builder for a TCG with player card lists and a general library. Right now the main collection is 'Cards', with each document being a single and unique card. Then I have the Users collection which has the standard User documents. My problem is with the decks and the userCards collections.

Originally my Deck collection was like this:
JavaScript code:
[
  {
    // 'card-slug': amount of cards
    'card-slug': 1
    'card-slug-1': 3
    'card-slug-2': 1
  },
  {
    'card-slug': 4
    'card-slug-1': 2
    'card-slug-2': 1
  }
]
and then I joined with the card collection in the client layer. However, I have been reading that I should have been embedding the cards in the Decks, ending up like this:

JavaScript code:
[
  {
    'name': 'Name of the Card',
    'type': 'Type'
    'slug:':'card-slug',
    'deck-slug': 'test-deck-2',
    'deck-name': 'Test Name 2',
    'owner': 3
  },
  {
    'slug': 'card-slug',
    'deck-slug': 'test-deck',
    'deck-name': 'Test Name',
    'owner': 1
  },
  {
    'name': 'Name of the Card 2',
    'slug': 'card-slug-2',
  },
  {
    'slug': 'card-slug',
  }
]
The userCards collection is simillar, a list of cards and an amount, without the deck property.

What would be the best way to structure something like this? (besides "Don't use mongo")

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.

an skeleton posted:

Yeah, I would evaluate why when it comes to changing from SQL to NoSQL. The moment you change you lose the relational guarantees SQL can offer, and then your schema (there is always a schema, it's just either implicit in the code or explicit in the DB) is extremely dependant on the code maintaining those guarantees, so you'll be writing more than just transition code potentially.