Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003

Aesis posted:

Having turret traverse skill upgrade on Cleveland will reduce 180 degree rotation time to 22.63 seconds. Therefore upgrading gun on Cleveland is absolutely recommended.

How did you calculate that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G

PirateBob posted:

How did you calculate that?
180 / (180 / 33 + 2.5). Ingame shows 22.5 seconds for some weird reason though.

Junkozeyne
Feb 13, 2012
The latest patch inlcuded skill changes in the ingame ship statistics, e.g. it shows now the max AA range of my Aoba at 6km instead of the old 5km without skills.

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G
Yep. Latest patch updates ship's values according to modules and skills.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
That is nice QoL thing :D

jownzy
Apr 20, 2012

I love Rainbow Moon.

It is the deepest game ever. Nothing compares to its epic story.
Exp'd past the Furutaka without ever purchasing it, no regrets. Did the same in closed beta... I don't care if they buffed it.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

jownzy posted:

Exp'd past the Furutaka without ever purchasing it, no regrets. Did the same in closed beta... I don't care if they buffed it.

The Taco is an excellent ship now that is fun to play.

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

Stanley Pain posted:

That being said, did you really recommend angling on a PepsiCola? That's kinda funny because it really doesn't matter one bit. So far my experience has been that anything/everything pens you from every angle. Sort of like a reverse Cleveland, in such that the entire drat ship is made of Citadel. It's a decent ship capable of putting really nice, tight clusters down range. I've gotten some really sweet through the deck pens on BBs, including a very surprised Iowa.

Counterpoint, I once had a game in my Pepsicola where I soloed a Cleveland and Pensacola because I stayed angled and bounced around 90% of their AP shells, while I burned both of them down with HE. If you never bother to angle in the Pepsi because "welp no point in trying they'll pen anyway!" then you're going to die more often than you should.

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

Night10194 posted:

The Taco is an excellent ship now that is fun to play.

I went from "Drop in, get 11 hits and die while waiting for my guns to turn" to "get at least 2 kills a match and terrify DDs into not coming within range of my guns ever" after the patch.

I enjoy it, honestly.

jownzy
Apr 20, 2012

I love Rainbow Moon.

Devorum posted:

I went from "Drop in, get 11 hits and die while waiting for my guns to turn" to "get at least 2 kills a match and terrify DDs into not coming within range of my guns ever" after the patch.

I enjoy it, honestly.

I will live vicariously through your stories of great success. I treated myself.

These 5,000 damage salvos in the Aoba are fun.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
So, what are the ship classes with the highest win rates these days?

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD

Gort posted:

So, what are the ship classes with the highest win rates these days?

The highest tiers of CVs still have the highest winrates, though its not quite as dominant as they used to be. Cruisers have been creeping upwards, along with low tier DDs and some BBs.

DDs still trail pretty far behind on average damage in a game, though. Very far behind.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Michi88 posted:

I've been citadeling the t9 Japanese BB through the nose, the penetration on the guns is insane, they have a good trajectory and get there fast.
As far as the premium side goes, with exp flags I've been averaging 5k exp and around 500k credits, the cost of a full repair and the better consumable replacement comes out to about 90k.
I just wish they would let you switch the spotting plane for a fighter to combat the AA, but i have yet to be killed by planes, it can juke pretty hard to avoid torps, and my friend has been running their NC / Cruisers and doing aa / support. They love it, last game they got around 40 plane kills following me while i got 12.

I heard it's also a bitch to citadel with the armour scheme.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

El Disco posted:

Counterpoint, I once had a game in my Pepsicola where I soloed a Cleveland and Pensacola because I stayed angled and bounced around 90% of their AP shells, while I burned both of them down with HE. If you never bother to angle in the Pepsi because "welp no point in trying they'll pen anyway!" then you're going to die more often than you should.

I didn't say don't bother, I said it doesn't matter because the ship is made out of paper mache. You got lucky and quite possibly I've been very unlucky. I don't hate the ship by any stretch. Coming from the OP Cleveland makes it a tough ship to love though ;)

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Hazdoc posted:

The highest tiers of CVs still have the highest winrates, though its not quite as dominant as they used to be. Cruisers have been creeping upwards, along with low tier DDs and some BBs.

DDs still trail pretty far behind on average damage in a game, though. Very far behind.

Is it still the case that IJN CVs dominate the US ones? Is there much in the way of differences between the two countries in general?

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD

Gort posted:

Is it still the case that IJN CVs dominate the US ones? Is there much in the way of differences between the two countries in general?

The Midway dominates the Hakuryu, from what I've seen. The Taiho also seems to be dominated by the Essex. But T4-8 belong to IJN CVs outside of that. The stats are still catching up to the new patch, though, so this may change in time. I know its definitely a lot more balanced than it was prepatch. People seem to be really downplaying the fighter damage normalization and the new fighter attack run.

Edit: Oh yeah, big difference between the countries of course. US CVs still have vastly superior damage on hit from their torps and dive bombers, but have less of them compared to the IJN. Their fighters are stronger as well. But the superior number of airgroups of the IJN ships makes them better at dealing damage to enemy ships, which is what wins games. When the US CVs get 2 TB squads (T9-10), their damage numbers shoot past their IJN counterparts.

Hazdoc fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Sep 11, 2015

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib
Never show your broadside in a Furutaka, or really bad things happen to you:

Dealt 26k damage in one salvo, my previous shots all went too much in front. Since he stepped on the brake.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy

jownzy posted:

I will live vicariously through your stories of great success. I treated myself.

These 5,000 damage salvos in the Aoba are fun.

Amen. Everyone said it was terrible, I played one match and was insta-killed in one barrage. Went to port and free xp'ed then sold it.

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib
The Furutaka has awesome guns, the Aoba adds better turrets. And the Myoko is love. I wonder if it gets even better down the line.

jownzy
Apr 20, 2012

I love Rainbow Moon.

Hazdoc posted:

The Midway dominates the Hakuryu, from what I've seen. The Taiho also seems to be dominated by the Essex. But T4-8 belong to IJN CVs outside of that. The stats are still catching up to the new patch, though, so this may change in time. I know its definitely a lot more balanced than it was prepatch. People seem to be really downplaying the fighter damage normalization and the new fighter attack run.

Edit: Oh yeah, big difference between the countries of course. US CVs still have vastly superior damage on hit from their torps and dive bombers, but have less of them compared to the IJN. Their fighters are stronger as well. But the superior number of airgroups of the IJN ships makes them better at dealing damage to enemy ships, which is what wins games. When the US CVs get 2 TB squads (T9-10), their damage numbers shoot past their IJN counterparts.

The patch really flipped the script at tier 7 too.

Now a Hiryu can easily fight a Ranger with it's fighters, while still having the 2 torp bombers and 2 dive bombers... which is great for getting people to repair their fire/flood and then hitting them again right after.

You get two groups of fighters, doing 61 dps... vs. 1 group doing 53. You win every time now that they force you to take fighters.

I think it's weird that they still let the Lexington go full strike, without fighters... is that an oversight? I imagine so.

I'm still trying to decide where I should focus, it seems to flip flop like every tier, and they can change it back and forth with every patch... that's the only frustrating part of the grind... how will the ship be later?

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!

Hazdoc posted:

Remember that win rates aren't a great reflection of how the ship classes are performing, unless you have an unusual definition of "how the ship classes are performing." Especially among average players, cruisers and destroyers have win rate bonuses that aren't related to how good they are at fighting.

Vorkosigan
Mar 28, 2012

I may have finally gotten a good game in this shitheap. Too bad I've got another 40k to go :smithicide:

Vorkosigan fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Sep 11, 2015

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Hazduck!

~SMcD

James Garfield posted:

Remember that win rates aren't a great reflection of how the ship classes are performing, unless you have an unusual definition of "how the ship classes are performing." Especially among average players, cruisers and destroyers have win rate bonuses that aren't related to how good they are at fighting.

Yeah, but their average damage is also very high.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!

Hazdoc posted:

Yeah, but their average damage is also very high.

I didn't mean carriers. They're winning in spite of the cruiser/destroyer win rate bonus because they're absurdly good at fighting.
Battleships have lower win rates than their fighting ability would suggest, and cruisers and destroyers have higher win rates, because of how pubbies use them. Carriers have more of a pubbie win rate bonus than battleships, but noticeably less than the other classes.

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.
I wish I knew where to shoot on a Furutaka to get citadels. I must have landed 10 shots from a Wyoming, most of them overpens. Should I be shooting low or high?

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

SquadronROE posted:

I wish I knew where to shoot on a Furutaka to get citadels. I must have landed 10 shots from a Wyoming, most of them overpens. Should I be shooting low or high?

Right at the waterline for Citadels in general.

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

I have every line at Tier 5 except for CVs, now.

I have the Hosho, but not the Langley. So far every match in my CV has been "Watch while the US CV on the other team shreds my planes to bits, then I guess try to ram an enemy BB before I die".

Is that normal for T4? Am I just even worse at CVs than I am at normal boats?

Reztes
Jun 20, 2003

No that's just kinda the one thing US carriers get to do at the low tiers, wreck IJN torpedo planes.:shrug:

I guess take solace in the fact that all the fighter build US player then gets to do is drop some anemic bombs on a ship and hope it catches on fire. Man I actually got a Kongo kill in my Bogue with fighter build last night, managed to find him right after he fixed flooding from my team's other non-gimmick carrier.

The problem is at tier IV, your allies don't have enough effective AA that you can lure the fighters into attacking your bombers over your own fleet, but that does start working the next tier up, all it takes really is one blunder over some tier V-VI AA and the fighters are gone. Bogue and Langley don't have very many replacement planes either.

Melraidin
Oct 11, 2005
I can't find the posts talking about this anymore. Can anyone recommend upgrades for a Colorado and New Orleans? Not sure if I should try range for the Colorado with its current dispersion.

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

Melraidin posted:

I can't find the posts talking about this anymore. Can anyone recommend upgrades for a Colorado and New Orleans? Not sure if I should try range for the Colorado with its current dispersion.

I tried using using the secondary upgrade instead of the range upgrade on the Colorado. "Good" games where I got to use the secondaries a lot resulted in a few thousand damage done by them, so I'm not sure if it was worth it.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012

Melraidin posted:

There's no hidden dispersion penalty with the range upgrade. Your guns will still be just as accurate at the old maximum range. They're less accurate at the new maximum range (obviously) but it's not some surprise jump. Same as you get with the fire control upgrade.

Other than that, all you really have is the AA range upgrade. Main battery modification 1 is generally a trap and secondaries aren't worth it on a Colorado.

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G
New Orleans: Main gun survival, AA range/Gun accuracy, Damage control, Rudder speed, Concealment.

With skill and module you get max 7.2 km range AA which lets you shoot down planes inside 0-5 km range very fast, however AA is somewhat useless against higher tier planes as usual. You can take Gun accuracy instead if you feel that there's not much benefit to increased AA range.

Concealment lets you sneak inside to 10.8 km (Atago is 10.3 km), and rudder shift lets you be bit more agile at dodging.

I also recommend getting Fire Prevention skill so you can afford to take hits against HE while you aim at citadel inside 10 km.

e: While New Orleans doesn't offer much compared to Peniscola apart from better armour, it has way better concealment and range which lets you either spam HE at BB from far off or sneak towards other unsuspecting cruisers to aim at citadel. Having lower chance of fire helps a lot against other cruisers that will normally be spamming HE at you.

Aesis fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Sep 12, 2015

VietCampo
Aug 24, 2010
Holy poo poo, the New Mexico is just straight clicking with me right now, i'm never selling this.

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G

VietCampo posted:

Holy poo poo, the New Mexico is just straight clicking with me right now, i'm never selling this.
Only thing I hate about NM is slow rear end speed and kinda low accuracy. However it is a beast if played at close-med range (as long as there isn't a DD near you) to negate inaccuracy. Also good armor to bounce off shells if angled.

Reztes
Jun 20, 2003

Can I use a premium ship to help re-train a captain to a new ship, or do only games played in the ship you're retraining to count?

Moatman
Mar 21, 2014

Because the goof is all mine.

Reztes posted:

Can I use a premium ship to help re-train a captain to a new ship, or do only games played in the ship you're retraining to count?

You can. I'm pretty sure that unlike WoT they don't need to be of the same class, you can just retrain on anything of the same nationality.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

Moatman posted:

You can. I'm pretty sure that unlike WoT they don't need to be of the same class, you can just retrain on anything of the same nationality.

Yeah, I've done a few different ship types in my Atago.

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Hazduck!

~SMcD

Reztes posted:

Buy new ship, put old captain in new ship, begin retraining, send captain to premium ship of same nation, grind out the XP for the retraining on the premium while enjoying all of your skills at 100%, and put the credits you grinded up towards upgrades for your new ship, or save them for modules, if they are pricey ones.

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!
I just finished my last match with my Kongo and can finally get the Fuso. I'm somewhat torn tho. I kinda like the ship and am tempted to keep it. However, I don't tend to go back to play lower tier ships once I'm done with them. Considering its 300 gold doublons for a spare slot, I am not sure if it is worth it.

Other than "I like this ship and want to keep it", is there any reason at all to keep a lower tier ship?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003

Dalael posted:

I just finished my last match with my Kongo and can finally get the Fuso. I'm somewhat torn tho. I kinda like the ship and am tempted to keep it. However, I don't tend to go back to play lower tier ships once I'm done with them. Considering its 300 gold doublons for a spare slot, I am not sure if it is worth it.

Other than "I like this ship and want to keep it", is there any reason at all to keep a lower tier ship?

Being able to div with buddies who dont have high tier ships?