Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
it should be supremely obvious that stringing story content throughout a dungeon, no matter how easy, is going to provide a better experience than being forced to watch the cut scenes in an unbroken string outside of the game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scrublord Prime
Nov 27, 2007

gently caress healing glove drops. I did about fifty LotA runs in 2.5 trying to get the healer gloves and body and I only ever saw the chest drop once. I'd still be trying to farm them if the queue time for LotA wasn't 20+ minutes :smith: 24-man roulette in 3.1 yoshi.p plz

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

ilifinicus posted:

Dragon god summoned and sustained by imprisoned dragonkin in a giant moon prison, existing as a giant powercell for an entire civilization that was also its jailer, tied in with basically everything that happens in the game because it was the civilization that existed before the current one

vs

chuuni dream utopia robot fortress with steampunk things summoned by dumb goblins that want to monopolize cheese for themselves

not to white knight or nothing (I started playing in 2.5 so I dunno this rad coil experience) but I have to assume there will be More Stuff happening in the alexander plotline

I like to think that the "celestial noise detected" line in the A1-A3 song implies that alexander is going to fly to the loving moon or something

also if the lesser moon was named Dalamud what the hell is the greater/only remaining moon's name

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

ilifinicus posted:

chuuni dream utopia robot fortress with steampunk things summoned by dumb goblins that want to monopolize cheese for themselves

It's actually about weird racial supremacist goblins who picked up a magical artifact (the Enigma Codex) which is like the Tech Necronomicon. They used it to awaken an Sharlayan fortress as Alexander, but the Codex is missing an essential piece which teaches them how to control it properly - a piece which Redbrix's daughter, Roundrox, has in her junk pile for some reason. They also don't really understand (or particularly care) exactly how dangerous it is, because they're Goblins, and "goblins are reckless" is a massive understatement.

Alexander is a major aether drain, on par with Louisoix's fight with Bahamut & the 1.0 -> 2.0 transition. Alexander drains the aether of everywhere he went, making it inhospitable to life. If Quickthinks Allthoughts & the Illuminati are allowed to finish Alexander's restoration, it will be as big a threat to Eorzea as Bahamut's resurrection was.

Niton fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Sep 11, 2015

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

DolphinCop posted:

it should be supremely obvious that stringing story content throughout a dungeon, no matter how easy, is going to provide a better experience than being forced to watch the cut scenes in an unbroken string outside of the game

This is true. So if you don't want to youtube it, you have two options: wait until the content is trivial and see it later, or git gud and see it now. The problem is that you want the content to be trivial now.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Niton posted:

It's actually about weird racial supremacist goblins who picked up a magical artifact (the Enigma Codex) which is like the Tech Necronomicon. They used it to awaken an Sharlayan fortress as Alexander, but the Codex is missing an essential piece which teaches them how to control it properly - a piece which Redbrix's daughter, Roundrox, has in her junk pile for some reason. They also don't really understand (or particularly care) exactly how dangerous it is, because they're Goblins.

Alexander is a major aether drain, on par with Louisoix's fight with Bahamut & the 1.0 -> 2.0 transition. Alexander drains the aether of everywhere he went, making it inhospitable to life. If Quickthinks Allthoughts & the Illuminati are allowed to finish Alexander's restoration, it will be as big a threat to Eorzea as Bahamut's resurrection was.
(But also it's about cheese.)

...and Quickthinx's adorable kitty which I am hoping will have more meows during cutscenes :kimchi:

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

Friends 'ave fun together.

Suitaru posted:

also if the lesser moon was named Dalamud what the hell is the greater/only remaining moon's name

Menphina.

ilifinicus
Mar 7, 2004

Niton posted:

It's actually about weird racial supremacist goblins who picked up a magical artifact (the Enigma Codex) which is like the Tech Necronomicon. They used it to awaken an Sharlayan fortress as Alexander, but the Codex is missing an essential piece which teaches them how to control it properly - a piece which Redbrix's daughter, Roundrox, has in her junk pile for some reason. They also don't really understand (or particularly care) exactly how dangerous it is, because they're Goblins.

you see, it's about the presentation. my description is basically how it is presented unless you spend more time thinking about it with how boring it actually is.

bahamut was such a threat that it loving brought the game down for two years

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

you have no idea how important it is to me to know this

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

Fister Roboto posted:

This is true. So if you don't want to youtube it, you have two options: wait until the content is trivial and see it later, or git gud and see it now. The problem is that you want the content to be trivial now.

it's.... not trivial now, though. there's still less than ten raid groups that have cleared a4s. nothing material has been taken away from hardcore raiders, just the smug satisfaction of being the only people allowed to view the cut scenes in game.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I liked being part of some exclusive cutscene haver group as much as the next manchild back in coil but there's objectively no downside to alex normal existing, unless you raided exclusively for story which you're in the minority then.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

Fister Roboto posted:

Get this stupid elitist garbage out of here.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

I do appreciate having story locked behind some level of moderate challenge, don't get me wrong. Emphasis on moderate - you should need to have some basic competence, but you shouldn't need to be the top 0.1% or 1% or hell, even 10%. Okay, maybe 10%, I did just remember how far below "basic competence" a lot of people fall.

But ultimately I think it's better to let casual story-focused people be able to see their story pretty easily, than it is to have story - any story, whether it's cool or not - be an exclusive reward for the top-poo poo hardcore folks.

The latter group are already getting exclusive rewards of bragging rights and better gear out of the deal. And playing an FF game (online or otherwise) for the story is far more on the casual side of the motivation scale. It makes sense then that the story aspect would be accessible to those same casual players.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Honestly the big elitist compromise could just be that they release savage 2 weeks before normal instead of the other way around or whatever. I don't think they should do that but that's what WoW ended up doing and I didn't see many complaints about the casuals being able to see content anymore.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

DolphinCop posted:

it's.... not trivial now, though. there's still less than ten raid groups that have cleared a4s. nothing material has been taken away from hardcore raiders, just the smug satisfaction of being the only people allowed to view the cut scenes in game.

I was referring to Coil, not Alex Savage.

Just so we're straight: I'm not suggesting that Alex Savage, in its current difficulty, should be the barrier in front of the story.

Fister Roboto fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Sep 11, 2015

KaneTW
Dec 2, 2011

ilifinicus posted:

Dragon god summoned and sustained by imprisoned dragonkin in a giant moon prison, existing as a giant powercell for an entire civilization that was also its jailer, tied in with basically everything that happens in the game because it was the civilization that existed before the current one

vs

Compare T1-5 to Alex, not T1-13.

allagan fake moon with self-defense mechanisms running around and a big bad dragon at the end AND SUDDENLY BAHAMUT

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Honestly the big elitist compromise could just be that they release savage 2 weeks before normal instead of the other way around or whatever. I don't think they should do that but that's what WoW ended up doing and I didn't see many complaints about the casuals being able to see content anymore.

There's no reason to compromise with elitists on this in the first place. Their ideas are stupid, they are a barely vocal minority, and not worth being considered.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Get this: It's actually not fun.

lol

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

armoredgorilla posted:

Their ideas are stupid, they are a barely vocal minority, and not worth being considered.

AKA the official forums.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

I'm working on Coil too, and it's weird seeing Alph go back to his old outfit (plus being pre-2.55 :smuggo: )

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

armoredgorilla posted:

There's no reason to compromise with elitists on this in the first place. Their ideas are stupid, they are a barely vocal minority, and not worth being considered.

Yeah, I don't think they should but if they did that would be the better way to do that than just locking away story like some people want (speaking generally since Fister Roboto clarified his stance)

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

I'm confused, are people implying that Savage has different cutscenes than normal at the end of a4s? None of this conversation makes sense otherwise since Alex normal is Alex story mode. For most purposes, Alex normal already is trivial. I haven't even seen a pug wipe on A4 in a month even with a new couple people, and A1's dps is so much higher now that Oppressor is often 40% at the split.

nuru fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Sep 11, 2015

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
There should be special story cutscenes at the end of savage alex, because only the true ff14 fans get to see the real story.

MohShuvuu
Aug 26, 2010

I eat ass.

nuru posted:

I'm confused, are people implying that Savage has different cutscenes than normal at the end of a4s? None of this conversation makes sense otherwise since Alex normal is Alex story mode.

They are in fact "different" cutscenes because they aren't automatically skipped when you view them the first time if you have the option that skips already viewed cutscenes enabled. Content-wise, they're the same.

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
fister roboto implied that having easy access to all of the alexander story from normal mode took away from the grandeur of the plot and then i laid the smack down with my sickly powerful wisdom and literary skill

but then he cleared up the misunderstanding and were straight now

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

MohShuvuu posted:

They are in fact "different" cutscenes because they aren't automatically skipped when you view them the first time if you have that option enabled. Content-wise, they're the same.

You know what I meant :getout:

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

MohShuvuu posted:

They are in fact "different" cutscenes because they aren't automatically skipped when you view them the first time if you have the option that skips already viewed cutscenes enabled. Content-wise, they're the same.

They should be different because the bard is exaggerating greatly.

yook
Mar 11, 2001

YES, CLIFFORD THE BIG RED DOG IS ABSOLUTELY A KAIJU

Eerkik posted:

I'm level 24 and still doing the story to unlock GCs. I made the mistake of doing side quests alongside the mainstory on a trial account so I hit 20 right when I unlocked satasha and then didn't get around to doing it for awhile. Can't wait til I'm caught up and have a chocobo along with my new skills in the dungeons I'm unlocking

The game is more fun in a fc for anyone not a part of one of the goon fcs reading this
The game feels weirdly discouraging on doing side quests since you end up way out leveling the main story quest very easily by doing them then it also means you don't have access to them for leveling new jobs later.

Then I found out yesterday that chocobobuddy was locked behind one of the sidequests I skipped through 10 levels ago and subsequently found out one of the random FedEx quests opens the challenge log. Are there any other do not miss sidequests?

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

yook posted:

The game feels weirdly discouraging on doing side quests since you end up way out leveling the main story quest very easily by doing them then it also means you don't have access to them for leveling new jobs later.

Actually with the armory bonus it's most efficient to do the side quests with your first job.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Some things unlock dungeons, some things unlock mechanics, some things unlock hilarious cutscenes.

Original Game
Heavensward

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

nuru posted:

I blame Neverreap. I'd pay SE a dollar to put Gubal Library straight into expert as-is.

Yeah Gubal is like, the best dungeon in the entire game and they stuck it in the one place where you almost never get to run it :argh:

One thing they did do which is a step in the right direction is that it's quite a bit easier to cap Capped Tomestone this time around because there's more than one roulette to do. You only need to do expert 3 times a week if you also do Frontlines Roulette with it, and Trials Roulette can add up too. If they really want to do this two dungeon expert thing I really do hope they add a Raid Roulette in 3.1 for all the 24-persons that gives 100+ Capped Tomestone.

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

yook posted:

Then I found out yesterday that chocobobuddy was locked behind one of the sidequests I skipped through 10 levels ago and subsequently found out one of the random FedEx quests opens the challenge log. Are there any other do not miss sidequests?

In general this game uses quests a bit more like FFXI than WoW, with the Main Story Quest (and to some degree, class/job quests) being kind of its own invention. There ARE WoW-style sidequests, and a decent number of them, but they're not the best for xping really or renewable. You do, however, unlock systems and features within the game through quests and generally that is your motivation for doing them more than just to Go Leveling.

Vil posted:

Some things unlock dungeons, some things unlock mechanics, some things unlock hilarious cutscenes.

Original Game
Heavensward

This is really cool and I had no idea it existed :aaa:

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

Boten Anna posted:

Yeah Gubal is like, the best dungeon in the entire game and they stuck it in the one place where you almost never get to run it :argh:

One thing they did do which is a step in the right direction is that it's quite a bit easier to cap Capped Tomestone this time around because there's more than one roulette to do. You only need to do expert 3 times a week if you also do Frontlines Roulette with it, and Trials Roulette can add up too. If they really want to do this two dungeon expert thing I really do hope they add a Raid Roulette in 3.1 for all the 24-persons that gives 100+ Capped Tomestone.

75 + 75 + 75 + 40 + 40 + 40 = 345

:confused:

Vaguido
Feb 22, 2011

When the drug test comes back positive for performance enhancing drugs.

nuru posted:

That's also assuming Frontlines Roulette will always give you Seal Rock. I've definitely have had roulette toss me into Slaughter and Secure, which does not give Eso.

Edit: You still get roulette eso, but Secure and Slaughter themselves do not give eso.

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

nuru posted:

Minimum 4 runs of A1-A4 is another 40, and I mentioned trial roulette too, which is another 30. That brings you to 415, which means you can just do frontlines or more trial roulettes and still only really have to do EXDR 3x/week.

Vaguido posted:

That's also assuming Frontlines Roulette will always give you Seal Rock. I've definitely have had roulette toss me into Slaughter and Secure, which does not give Eso.

It's happened to me too, but it's pretty rare, and I think usually WHY roulette gets stuck sometimes is it's trying to fill people for non-Seal Rock.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

nuru posted:

Final fantasy community is the best at math!

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

Oh. I live in a world where not running Alex normal anymore is a bonus. A single 20 minute expert gives 75 which is a lot faster than 7 alex, or 7 trials, or whatever.

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

nuru posted:

Oh. I live in a world where not running Alex normal anymore is a bonus. A single 20 minute expert gives 75 which is a lot faster than 7 alex, or 7 trials, or whatever.

If you're just trying to turbo tomes as fast as possible yeah, running more exdr is certainly the best way to do it, but if you REALLY hate exdr, which a lot of people do, and that is what I was speaking to, you really only HAVE to do it about 3 times a week to not have to spam one particular kind of content over and over again.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Boten Anna posted:

If you're just trying to turbo tomes as fast as possible yeah, running more exdr is certainly the best way to do it, but if you REALLY hate exdr, which a lot of people do, and that is what I was speaking to, you really only HAVE to do it about 3 times a week to not have to spam one particular kind of content over and over again.

Yeah, I hate EXDR but it's by far the most efficient. The most efficient a week can be for me is 4 EX, 3 Frontlines, and 4 Alex. If Alex is not so kind and doesn't cough up drops on the first runs, then that can usually knock one of those EX roulettes down to a Frontlines. I have limited play time due to work + school, so that's generally all I do each week, lately.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Ibram Gaunt posted:

They'd have to completely redo how Savage stuff works (and most want it for the challenge, not to be some spergy story nerd to lord over the plebs) since running A1S with full Law gear would make DPS checks significantly harder to meet. You'd potentially have another 1-2% HP on the Oppressor when the split happens and an extra 1-2% hp means those groups who got clears with seconds to spare now wipe to the enrage.

• Locked thread