Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

drat, Mathematics, you pulled off the best "NO gently caress YOU DAD" ever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Mathematics posted:

Seems kids these days need some light verbal abuse to show them that their childish fantasies are not going to happen.

I’m sure the dad is in no way living vicariously through the attention his son his getting. Never would he push his son into this or try and convince him not to call it off in a moment of weakness.

Kakarot
Jul 20, 2013

by zen death robot
Buglord
That Everest movie is coming out in little over a week.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

A Saucy Bratwurst posted:

You cant even make all your decisions for yourself cause your government says you are still too much of a child to do it

Actually that'd make America's age of adulthood 25, because until then you can't rent a car or reserve rooms in some hotels.

Gripen5
Nov 3, 2003

'Startocaster' is more fun to say than I expected.

Terrible Opinions posted:

Actually that'd make America's age of adulthood 25, because until then you can't rent a car or reserve rooms in some hotels.

Can't run for Congress or the President either. Guess you aren't an adult until 35.

Or 67 if you include medicare and social security.

aardvaard
Mar 4, 2013

you belong in the bog of eternal stench

i am very sorry for starting this argument

can we stop now

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

i wouldn't suggest c limibing everest at any age

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

Came back from seeing Everest in IMAX. A good movie IMO.

Meatwave
Feb 21, 2014

Truest Detective - Work Crew Division.
:dong::yayclod:

Pierogi posted:

Is it one of those movies that's a lot better in the theater?

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

Meatwave posted:

Is it one of those movies that's a lot better in the theater?
Oh yes.

Venusian Weasel
Nov 18, 2011

Tired of normal cave diving and looking for a challenge? Boy, do I have just the place for you!

It's been sealed off from the surrounding world for nearly 5 million years. Oxygen only makes up 10% of the air, and it all comes from sulfate-oxidizing bacteria, which grow in a thick layer on the water. The air is thick with carbon dioxide and hydrogen sulfide, and visits are limited to under 6 hours to prevent kidney failure.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.
I'll kickstart the STOP! GO NO FURTHER! grim reaper sign to prevent people from suicidally diving it

The Zombie Guy
Oct 25, 2008

Minrad posted:

I'll kickstart the STOP! GO NO FURTHER! grim reaper sign to encourage rich idiots to suicidally dive it.

FTFY

The North Tower
Aug 20, 2007

You should throw it in the ocean.
Anyone know what the death total is? I need to figure out how many books I need to send out to the winners January 1st.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
Can't wait til they build a space elevator to the top and I can sit there eating a gotdamn sammich in my flip flops while staring at these hobos going "welp our 5 minutes is up gotta get back while we have enough oxygen to not die and be forever memorialized on this dumb gay mountain"

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

Alan Smithee posted:

Can't wait til they build a space elevator to the top and I can sit there eating a gotdamn sammich in my flip flops while staring at these hobos going "welp our 5 minutes is up gotta get back while we have enough oxygen to not die and be forever memorialized on this dumb gay mountain"

First Man To Climb Everest In A Wal-Mart Scooter

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

Pierogi posted:

That's good to hear. I saw a brief short on it on HBO and they actually shot it on location which is pretty cool. I mean, I don't think they climbed up very high, but even being at base camp (I assume that's where they filmed) is neat.

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

Seems like they did most of the climbing stuff in Italian Alps and did some shooting at the Everest base camp, probably took the heli for some vistas also.
The compositing is mostly flawless in the movie, the upper camps, summit and south col were really believable. One aerial shot of Everest right at the beginning of the movie looked artificial although it might have been the softening effect of wind blowing snow over the ridge, which made it look to me a bit like google earth.
I think the things they must've done at Pinewood studios like Hillary's step were a bit fakey but all in all a really nice movie and honest in it's portrayal to boot.

Anne Frank Funk fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Sep 14, 2015

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

The North Tower posted:

Anyone know what the death total is? I need to figure out how many books I need to send out to the winners January 1st.

actually a good question. most of the reports I can find on the matter only list early counts, but most of the death totals coming several days after the quake seem to count anywhere from 18 to 22 deaths at a minimum. the best tally I can find of confirmed fatalities is

16, died on Everest
Renu Fotedar
Ge Zhenfang
Lhakpa Chhiring Sherpa
Shiva Kumar Shrestha
Pema Hissi Sherpa
Dawa Chhiri Sherpa
Chhimi Dawa Sherpa
Pemba Sherpa
Milan Rai
Pasang Temba Sherpa
Tengien Bhote
Khrishna Kumar Rai
Dan Fredinburg
Marisa Eve Girawong
Vinh Truong
Tom Taplin

2, died in Kathmandu from injuries sustained from the avalanche on Everest.
Yomogato Horoshi
Jangbu Sherpa

???
1 or 2 unidentified bodies at last count

sources:
http://www.explorersweb.com/everest_k2/news.php?url=everest-names-of-avalanche-victims_1430306452
http://www.alanarnette.com/blog/2015/04/27/everest-2015-ebc-death-update/
http://www.nepalmountaineering.org/...20Mt.%20Everest

However if the contest is still running until January 2016, there's still possibilities for deaths in the upcoming Fall Everest Climbing season.

e: There may also be a large number of people still missing?

http://www.nepalmountaineering.org/...%20April%202015

Minera fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Sep 14, 2015

The North Tower
Aug 20, 2007

Minrad posted:

actually a good question. most of the reports I can find on the matter only list early counts, but most of the death totals coming several days after the quake seem to count anywhere from 18 to 22 deaths at a minimum. the best tally I can find of confirmed fatalities is

16, died on Everest
Renu Fotedar
Ge Zhenfang
Lhakpa Chhiring Sherpa
Shiva Kumar Shrestha
Pema Hissi Sherpa
Dawa Chhiri Sherpa
Chhimi Dawa Sherpa
Pemba Sherpa
Milan Rai
Pasang Temba Sherpa
Tengien Bhote
Khrishna Kumar Rai
Dan Fredinburg
Marisa Eve Girawong
Vinh Truong
Tom Taplin

Yomogato Horoshi
Jangbu Sherpa

???

sources:
http://www.explorersweb.com/everest_k2/news.php?url=everest-names-of-avalanche-victims_1430306452

However if the contest is still running until January 2016, there's still possibilities for deaths in the upcoming Fall Everest Climbing season.

This is what I feared. Not that a bunch of rich people died, but that this is going to be a bunch of work for me at the end of the year.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Went to a climate controlled theater playing IMAX. Saw a dead body in a North Face jacket and turned the gently caress back

Al Borland
Oct 29, 2006

by XyloJW

rotinaj posted:

You could cover that mountain with like TRIPLE the amount of corpses! It'd be just like in a death metal video. It's good to have goals.

if you think about it the mountain could get bigger if we coat it with more corpses.

Al Borland
Oct 29, 2006

by XyloJW

The North Tower posted:

This is what I feared. Not that a bunch of rich people died, but that this is going to be a bunch of work for me at the end of the year.

sherpas shouldn't count those people risk their lives to help rich spoiled idiots die. They should be honored.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Alan Smithee posted:

Went to a climate controlled theater playing IMAX. Saw a dead body in a North Face jacket and turned the gently caress back

Canada Goose or :fuckoff:

The Light Eternal
Jun 12, 2006

A man who dares to waste one hour of time has not discovered the value of life.
I saw Everest also. I definitely recommend it. I saw it in 3d/Imax and it was pretty cool. I think it faithfully portrays the events/people as written in Into Thin Air.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

But what about as portrayed by Stallone in Cliffhanger

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe
I want to be the first one to get the base camp and be like, "Nah, this probably isn't worth risking my life over"

The Light Eternal
Jun 12, 2006

Alan Smithee posted:

But what about as portrayed by Stallone in Cliffhanger

I said it that way because a lot of people disagree with how they were portrayed in Into Thin Air... Anatoli Boukreev and Sandy Pittman being two of the more vocal.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Venusian Weasel posted:

Tired of normal cave diving and looking for a challenge? Boy, do I have just the place for you!

It's been sealed off from the surrounding world for nearly 5 million years. Oxygen only makes up 10% of the air, and it all comes from sulfate-oxidizing bacteria, which grow in a thick layer on the water. The air is thick with carbon dioxide and hydrogen sulfide, and visits are limited to under 6 hours to prevent kidney failure.

That was actually insanely cool to read. That's pretty loving amazing something like that exists.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

The Light Eternal posted:

I said it that way because a lot of people disagree with how they were portrayed in Into Thin Air... Anatoli Boukreev and Sandy Pittman being two of the more vocal.
Anatoli's book, The Climb, was a good read to hear his side of the story. It was definitely not written as well as Into Thin Air, but if you want to get a better picture of the events then I recommend it.

The Light Eternal
Jun 12, 2006

Nocheez posted:

Anatoli's book, The Climb, was a good read to hear his side of the story. It was definitely not written as well as Into Thin Air, but if you want to get a better picture of the events then I recommend it.

I agree, it's a great book. I was glad to get some perspective from a member of Scott's team although I agree with Krakauer that he should have used supplemental Os.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost
I think it's a hindsight sort of thing. If they had been disciplined and not rushed a summit bid, then he would have been fine. But hypoxia is a terrible thing that affects everyone at least a bit, and having that oxygen *may* have saved some lives. We will never truly know, but I think he was pretty heroic that day.

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.

Nocheez posted:

The Climb was not really written by Boukreev, it was written by Gary Weston DeWalt based on secondhand info from Boukreev, and some people feel it was more antagonistic towards Krakauer and Into Thin Air than Boukreev would have wanted it to be. Boukreev's memoirs, Above The Clouds, were translated from Russian by his girlfriend after his death on Annapurna in 1997 and present a more nuanced and thoughtful view on Everest 1996 and climbing in general.

A Spider Covets
May 4, 2009

Venusian Weasel posted:

this is extremely cool, thank you

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010

Venusian Weasel posted:

Stay safe cave ghost.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

Minrad posted:

16, died on Everest
Renu Fotedar
Ge Zhenfang
Lhakpa Chhiring Sherpa
Shiva Kumar Shrestha
Pema Hissi Sherpa
Dawa Chhiri Sherpa
Chhimi Dawa Sherpa
Pemba Sherpa
Milan Rai
Pasang Temba Sherpa
Tengien Bhote
Khrishna Kumar Rai
Dan Fredinburg
Marisa Eve Girawong
Vinh Truong
Tom Taplin

Yomogato Horoshi
Jangbu Sherpa

???

sources:

Only a couple of those people are listed as "missing near Everest." I don't think just being somewhere in Nepal (or on another mountain) qualifies someone as a potential member of this years Everest death cohort.

Edit

Hmmm... there are two unidentified bodies and two foreigners listed as missing near Everest since the earthquake.

This is probably a coincidence since obviously Nepalese officials have compared the unidentified bodies with the listed missing persons. Right?

ZombieLenin fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Sep 18, 2015

The North Tower
Aug 20, 2007

ZombieLenin posted:

Only a couple of those people are listed as "missing near Everest." I don't think just being somewhere in Nepal (or on another mountain) qualifies someone as a potential member of this years Everest death cohort.

Edit

Hmmm... there are two unidentified bodies and two foreigners listed as missing near Everest since the earthquake.

This is probably a coincidence since obviously Nepalese officials have compared the unidentified bodies with the listed missing persons. Right?

IIRC, they had to be at base camp or higher at some point. If they got HAPE or something like that at base camp and then died at a lower elevation, it would still count.

Fluo
May 25, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T68GHxzSn9c

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

I saw some article on Facebook from the Daily Mail about 10 people recently dying in the Italian Alps trying to rescue a dog. Anyone able to find a real source or is it all lies?

• Locked thread