Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

So far we haven't seen Roy's sword effect or Durkon's soul managing to break out of his bonds. I'd count on either of these things happening before any of the others arrive.

Then again, it doesn't feel like the vampire has been with the party that long and it's too early for him to be defeated - then again he probably served his purpose.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Colonel Cool posted:

I dunno about this fight Roy... if you keep getting level drained then another domination is going to work at some point.

I think you get immunity to domination from a given creature for 24 hours after you pass a save? Maybe I'm misremembering though.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

fool_of_sound posted:

I think you get immunity to domination from a given creature for 24 hours after you pass a save? Maybe I'm misremembering though.
No, that actually sounds right.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
So Roy's 50/50 on supernaturally-aided jumping working in his favor.

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

The secret to good health is a balanced diet and unstable healing radiation
Lipstick Apathy

fool_of_sound posted:

In RAW, Dominate is reusable as many times as the vampire has standard actions and saving just wastes that one action. Belkar's also been Dominated more than once per 24 hours already, the first jump overboard command and the one after he stabs Durkula happen quite close together. I doubt that Rich will include it though, there's not really any reasonable thing Durkula can say to Roy at this point to stop him attacking and even when he had a semi-legitimate justification it failed. The only way I could see it working is if right before Roy strikes the final blow Durkula goes "Wait, don't you know that you can't raise a vampire" and uses that to dominate him into not attacking by making him think that it will kill real Durkon permanently.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!

Taciturn Tactician posted:

In RAW, Dominate is reusable as many times as the vampire has standard actions and saving just wastes that one action. Belkar's also been Dominated more than once per 24 hours already, the first jump overboard command and the one after he stabs Durkula happen quite close together.

Belkar didn't make his save either time, though.

Looking at the SRD though, I don't see any mention of the 24 hour thing on either the vampire page or the Dominate Person spell description. And just narratively speaking, if that was a rule that was in play, it probably would've been mentioned during their banter about the domination attempt.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

Malak specifically mentioned his dominate ability being unlimited during his battle with Durkon.

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr
What is this spider walking and is it some class feature for vamps?

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

The secret to good health is a balanced diet and unstable healing radiation
Lipstick Apathy

Rygar201 posted:

Malak specifically mentioned his dominate ability being unlimited during his battle with Durkon.

He does say "even if it only works on the weak willed", though. So it might be just that "you can use it as many times as you want on people who fail the save".

e:

Parts Kit posted:

For some reason vampires can walk on any surface as if they had cast Spider climb. Personally I don't remember that part of Dracula, but maybe it's supposed to be in theme with the "hanging upside down from the ceiling" thing.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011

Parts Kit posted:

Basic cleric spell.

Colander Crotch
Nov 24, 2005

I- I don't even know what you just called me!

For some reason vampires can walk on any surface as if they had cast Spider climb. Personally I don't remember that part of Dracula, but maybe it's supposed to be in theme with the "hanging upside down from the ceiling" thing.

Actually one of the first nights that Harker is in the castle he sees Dracula climb down the sheer wall like a spider.

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Rygar201 posted:

Basic cleric spell.

True, but vampires get it at all times. They can just walk up walls and ceilings, no problem.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Colander Crotch posted:

Actually one of the first nights that Harker is in the castle he sees Dracula climb down the sheer wall like a spider.

Yep. Dracula in the original does a lot of things we no longer necessarily associate with vampires today! Here's the passage:

quote:

As I leaned from the window my eye was caught by something moving a storey below me, and somewhat to my left, where I imagined, from the order of the rooms, that the windows of the Count’s own room would look out. The window at which I stood was tall and deep, stone-mullioned, and though weatherworn, was still complete; but it was evidently many a day since the case had been there. I drew back behind the stonework, and looked carefully out.

What I saw was the Count’s head coming out from the window. I did not see the face, but I knew the man by the neck and the movement of his back and arms. In any case I could not mistake the hands which I had had so many opportunities of studying. I was at first interested and somewhat amused, for it is wonderful how small a matter will interest and amuse a man when he is a prisoner. But my very feelings changed to repulsion and terror when I saw the whole man slowly emerge from the window and begin to crawl down the castle wall over that dreadful abyss, face down with his cloak spreading out around him like great wings. At first I could not believe my eyes. I thought it was some trick of the moonlight, some weird effect of shadow; but I kept looking, and it could be no delusion. I saw the fingers and toes grasp the corners of the stones, worn clear of the mortar by the stress of years, and by thus using every projection and inequality move downwards with considerable speed, just as a lizard moves along a wall.

I guess Lizard Climb (Su) didn't strike the 3.5 designers as so snappy.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

If you haven't read it, Dracula is actually a really good book that holds up well today. It's free on Project Gutenberg, and not hard to find in physical form.

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr

Ah okay. Glad they left that out of Baldur's Gate 2, fuckers were annoying enough as is. :haw:

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
Dracula also walks around in the sun, if memory serves.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Pope Guilty posted:

He does! He also has the mentality of a child due to his eternal state of un-life. Lots of things that worked their way out of the vampire mythos over time, in Dracula.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

Pope Guilty posted:

Vampire lore is really just a combination of various pop culture fads either incorporating or exiling certain powers. IIRC, in the novel, the sun merely kept Dracula from using his black magic, like shape shifting, but the German 1922 movie Nosferatu included sunlight outright killing vampires, probably because it made for a really cool effect for the time. Or how the wooden stake went from merely incapacitating a vampire to basically becoming their Achilles heel. And I don't think native soil and running water ever coming up anymore. Thinking about it, a lot of the classical magical properties of Vampire powers have fallen to the wayside with time, as they became more and more a a viral infection that turns you into a superhuman instead of a magical curse.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

I kind of like how in The Dresden Files there are four different types of vampires, one type of which has the traditional weaknesses...who are now all but extinct because Stoker spilled the beans on 'em.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011

It's double plus funny because it's heavily implied that a rival flavor of vampires manipulated Stoker into writing Dracula anyway.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
My favorite vampire weakness is spilling a bag of rice to force them to lose time as they'll be compelled to count each grain. Who said Sesame Street didn't do serious research into the vampire mythos?

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
I wonder if OCD medication is effective on vampires.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Cat Mattress posted:

My favorite vampire weakness is spilling a bag of rice to force them to lose time as they'll be compelled to count each grain. Who said Sesame Street didn't do serious research into the vampire mythos?

I thought it was mustard seeds.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Cat Mattress posted:

My favorite vampire weakness is spilling a bag of rice to force them to lose time as they'll be compelled to count each grain.

I liked the episode of the X-Files where Mulder pulled that on a vampire he was trying to escape from and the kid was like, "God dammit! You are SO dead when I'm done with this!" :argh:

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Cat Mattress posted:

Dr McNinja does that, on phone so I can't link.

BTW for the person looking for a good ootsy strip, Dr McN is fantastically intricate, absurd and very funny.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
On fighting a battle of Attrition with Durkula. Dukula has regeneration. Every time Roy does not hit him he gets more and more hp back. Added on he can turn any spell he wants to into an inflict wounds to heal himself more if needed.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

sebmojo posted:

BTW for the person looking for a good ootsy strip, Dr McN is fantastically intricate, absurd and very funny.

dr mcninja is ending after the current comic finishes :smithcloud:

HisMajestyBOB
Oct 21, 2010

College Slice

ColdPie posted:

If you haven't read it, Dracula is actually a really good book that holds up well today. It's free on Project Gutenberg, and not hard to find in physical form.

It really is. I read both Dracula and Frankenstein a few years back and found the former to be a much more enjoyable and timeless read.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!

MonsterEnvy posted:

On fighting a battle of Attrition with Durkula. Dukula has regeneration. Every time Roy does not hit him he gets more and more hp back. Added on he can turn any spell he wants to into an inflict wounds to heal himself more if needed.

A long fight favors Durkula strategically too, since his objective isn't to kill Roy, but to survive until the demigods' votes are tallied.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

sebmojo posted:

I jumped off McNinja around the time he was playing Legends of the Hidden Temple

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

W.T. Fits posted:

I liked the episode of the X-Files where Mulder pulled that on a vampire he was trying to escape from and the kid was like, "God dammit! You are SO dead when I'm done with this!" :argh:

Also the best x files episode.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Proper vampire folklore is absurd because it was invented on the spur of the moment by panicking mobs or superstitious hedging your bets at random. Maybe Roy will have to defeat Nokrud by eating his heart.

Nokrud has also wasted a lot of power on taking out his fellow clerics, while Roy's still fresh.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

My favorite vampire weakness is garlic. It's been around all your life so it seems fine until you really think about it.

Back, foul fiend! The power of root vegetables compels you!

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Len posted:

I jumped off McNinja around the time he was playing Legends of the Hidden Temple

I tend to check it every couple months, since it updates often enough that I can do a satisfying splurge if I don't check regularly.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

fool_of_sound posted:

I tend to check it every couple months, since it updates often enough that I can do a satisfying splurge if I don't check regularly.

i just caught up now, thanks for the reminder. It's an amazing piece of work, not least for how all the deranged pieces fit together.

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe

sebmojo posted:

Dr McNinja got started here in the forums, in artist battles in GBS.

Ponsonby Britt
Mar 13, 2006
I think you mean, why is there silverware in the pancake drawer? Wassup?

Android Blues posted:

Yep. Dracula in the original does a lot of things we no longer necessarily associate with vampires today! Here's the passage:

Angel also spider climbed around buildings on the TV show of the same name, although I didn't realize it until it got brought up here.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

Pope Guilty posted:

Given that it can only be cast by the high priest of a god, I would figure on Summon Proxy being a granted ability rather than coming out of one's spell levels.

That's what I figured. Or, since in D&D rules the deity grants the spells to each cleric when they get their daily allotment, it might just be a level one or even level zero spell that is only granted when the deity in question knows there is a need for it or wants that cleric to summon a proxy.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
The biggest thing you need to now about D&D vampires is they are broken as gently caress oh my god.

They have a +8 level adjustment. You wanna be a vampire? In a campaign where everyone else starts at level ten you would be level two.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

The incredibly boring way for this to go would be for Durkula to divine power and then full attack Roy. A couple rounds and 5 hits later Roy is down 10 levels.