Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

YES I DO TALK TO PLANTS ACTUALLY
does your new company use stack ranking valeyard

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer

coffeetable posted:

does your new company use stack ranking valeyard

Not quite, but there is a strange rating system and I get the feeling that just doing your job will net you in the negative end. From what I understand the highest rating is practically unattainable mainly because anyone that is that good would be working elsewhere

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
Well my new job is great. Not even as many obnoxious people as I was fearing given that Fintech combines the two most insufferable demographics in industry

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

gonadic io posted:

Well my new job is great. Not even as many obnoxious people as I was fearing given that Fintech combines the two most insufferable demographics in industry

trolls and who else?

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer

gonadic io posted:

Well, I'm genuinely glad to hear that. Do you work near the center?

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

Valeyard posted:

Well, I'm genuinely glad to hear that. Do you work near the center?

V close to London Street station

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
i'd totally be up for getting lunch with any yosposter if they're under 20 mins from there.

DaTroof
Nov 16, 2000

CC LIMERICK CONTEST GRAND CHAMPION
There once was a poster named Troof
Who was getting quite long in the toof

tef posted:

best story i've heard is about an sql expert who had a series of sudden onset issues preventing him writing a line of code

our last 3 candidates for a junior dev position left the 4-question code test incomplete. None of them got through question #3, which asks them to implement a singleton in the language of their choice

e: they're allowed to use the internet during the test

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

DaTroof posted:

our last 3 candidates for a junior dev position left the 4-question code test incomplete. None of them got through question #3, which asks them to implement a singleton in the language of their choice

let me do this one for you

code:
while True:
    print('gently caress singletons')

DaTroof
Nov 16, 2000

Symbolic Butt posted:

code:
while True:

if grading was up to me i would accept this answer

DaTroof
Nov 16, 2000

then again, if the test itself was up to me, it probably wouldn't exist

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

DaTroof posted:

then again, if the test itself was up to me, it probably wouldn't exist

DaTroof posted:

I dunno it seems to be the test is proving highly valuable

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

when I start doing interviews my first question will be some extremely obscure trivia with a highly-ranked stack overflow answer. reject all candidates who can't Google it in under three minutes

DaTroof
Nov 16, 2000

NihilCredo posted:

I dunno it seems to be the test is proving highly valuable

maybe, but it also seems to tell us the same thing we'd learn in three minutes of an interview

nb: the candidate pool is so dire that some of these guys might get interviews anyway

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Symbolic Butt posted:

code:
while True:

theres nothing wrong with singletons

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

singletons are in fact good if u user them in the right place

Dessert Rose
May 17, 2004

awoken in control of a lucid deep dream...
some things really are singletons, but most things would be better if they weren't implemented that way

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

like what

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Bloody posted:

like what

your posts

more like dICK
Feb 15, 2010

This is inevitable.
Code your class normally and have Spring instantiate it once.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
would my live be better if i was a coder y/n

oh no blimp issue
Feb 23, 2011

outlook not so good

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
mmmm

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

NihilCredo posted:

when I start doing interviews my first question will be some extremely obscure trivia with a highly-ranked stack overflow answer. reject all candidates who can't Google it in under three minutes

There's a question on stack overflow about "pure" functions where the topnratwd and acceptef answer is wrong (the second, correct, answer is by Eric lippert) and I'd just print it out and ask people what they thought was correct.

wouldn't matter what they answered just so long as they had good reasons

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Valeyard posted:

I've had a 2 hour session on "personal branding", another 2 hours on " strategic networking" and now 2 hours on "professional relationships"

this is for a large consultancy, isn't it?

when recruiting, Accidenture used to claim they could turn anyone a highly skilled developer in 8 weeks of their boot camp

then they would bill out those developers at $350/hr

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Valeyard posted:

It's trying to show people that teams don't work when you are back stabbing arseholes, in progress atm

lol, as if a large consultancy isn't set up to explicitly advance the most backstabbing assholes possible

though they probably do need a meek, compliant underclass to do the real work while the "partners" do more "networking"

how's your golf game?

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

DaTroof posted:

maybe, but it also seems to tell us the same thing we'd learn in three minutes of an interview

nb: the candidate pool is so dire that some of these guys might get interviews anyway

the candidate pool is never that dire

a bad hire can be a net negative for a team

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
hey you

yes you

come here, you'll love this....

code:
#!/bin/sh
// 2> /dev/null; exec node "$0" "$@"
console.log("fart")
it's a node.js pattern for pros!

as you can see the complexity of our applications is not enough for a mere shebang

qntm
Jun 17, 2009

St Evan Echoes posted:

singletons are in fact good if u user them in the right place

this is kind of a tautology though :-/

DaTroof
Nov 16, 2000

eschaton posted:

the candidate pool is never that dire

a bad hire can be a net negative for a team

i agree, but it's an act of sheer desperation and it's completely out of my hands

the end result of our process is that bad candidates don't get weeded out until the second interview (the technical one, which is the first time other developers get involved) despite the fact they tanked what should have been a smoke test two appointments ago

i guess i'm not so much criticizing the test as the fact that it's not serving its intended purpose

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

YES I DO TALK TO PLANTS ACTUALLY

echinopsis posted:

would my live be better if i was a coder y/n
it's well-paid, you can always find a job, and the barriers to entry are lower than for p much any other comparable profession

anyone who thinks software dev is a bad deal has forgotten how loving awful most ppl's jobs are

oh no blimp issue
Feb 23, 2011

shhhh, don't tell anyone about our cushy lives

Jerry Bindle
May 16, 2003

Awia posted:

shhhh, don't tell anyone about our cushy lives

i had to come in before 10:30am for a meeting today :'(

qntm
Jun 17, 2009
also generally relatively flexible hours, you can work from home, stress level is relatively low

Dessert Rose
May 17, 2004

qntm posted:

stress level is relatively low

lol

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

they're not wrong, though.

qntm
Jun 17, 2009
be honest, how much do you care about the code you write

what's the worst thing that could happen if it didn't work

oh no blimp issue
Feb 23, 2011

people could die

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

coffeetable posted:

it's well-paid, you can always find a job, and the barriers to entry are lower than for p much any other comparable profession

anyone who thinks software dev is a bad deal has forgotten how loving awful most ppl's jobs are

i suspect the coding market in christchurch new zealand isnt that ghreat. all my comp sci mates had to move to auckland at minimum and mostly sydney or further :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dessert Rose
May 17, 2004

qntm posted:

be honest, how much do you care about the code you write

what's the worst thing that could happen if it didn't work

someone's 911 call wouldnt go through and people could actually die

• Locked thread