Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!
Am I not so good at the shootmans anymore or can the flamethrower robots toast you really fast?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Dark Forces really needs mouselook. Turrets are incredibly hard to hit, and one location in particular is full of cliffs that are really easy to walk off of.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Parrotine posted:

You know what's an early FPS that I've been dying to play again?

Star Wars: Dark Forces

First FPS game I've ever played, poo poo was tight. Memory's a bit hazy on it, but I remember that level where you got kidnapped by Jabba the Hutt and had to fight his big-rear end lizard dogs with your loving fists, that one place where you got to fight Boba Fett, and that drat sewer level that scared me so bad as kid I had to use a cheat code to skip past it.

That's on steam ya? Might pick it up sometime

It's also on GOG, along with its dusty little brother.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Casimir Radon posted:

Dark Forces really needs mouselook. Turrets are incredibly hard to hit, and one location in particular is full of cliffs that are really easy to walk off of.

Turrets are almost never worth killing in Dark Forces. They hit gently caress hard, they tend to be in corridors so there's not much room to dodge, and the weird artillery-style vertical aim means they'll blow you away while you sit there trying gamely to adjust your angle. Just sprint past and take the hit. Luckily they only have a really strong presence in one or two levels. The artillery aim makes a couple secrets a bitch to get too.

e: if you're a real bad rear end mother you can try chucking a detonator at the ceiling as you run by

Parrotine posted:

I remember this mining level, the one that you got to fight the phase 1 shock (?) Storm Trooper near the end of it...

Dark Troopers still scare the poo poo out of me. The high level ones are pretty much the most health in the game flying around at the quickest speed in the game with the best weapon in the game, while the low level ones are merely ungodly tough robot death skeletons that charge you fearlessly and beat the poo poo out of you the instant they spot you. The maze of tunnels when you're trying to escape the ice level was absolutely petrifying to me as a child, in reality it's like three rooms and they're all pretty small, but when you don't know that and you are panicking scrambling through tight identical corridors in half light and you can just hear those sons of bitches clanking around beyond what door you know not...it might as well be an endless hell for a baby FPS player. Think I only got through that bit by spamming the mortar around every corner and listening for the mechanical screams of soulless fury.

skasion fucked around with this message at 13:42 on Sep 11, 2015

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Oh man, the new Reelism is sooo good :allears:

I think the only suggestion I would even think about making is that The Jerk should get a liiiiiittle bit faster every time you try and shoot him. :getin:

EDIT: No, nevermind. This is all perfect.

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 14:25 on Sep 11, 2015

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

The Kins posted:

Well, I guess I'm just not worth my salt.

:911: Never forget

Can't wait to dl this after work.

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

Oh my god, the new Reelism is outstanding. This is some of the most fun I've ever had with Doom.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Echoing that the new version of Reelism is a ton of fun. Played a couple dozen rounds already. I think about half of them it told me I had nice hair. Thank you, Reelism. Your hair is very pretty, too.

Beyond that, I've been playing around a bit lately with Project Brutality, one of the million Brutal Doom variants out there. This one adds everything and the kitchen sink too, but somehow, I think it pulls it off. Yes, there's 25 guns and they all have 2-4 firemodes, and there's a ton of enemy variants, but the way it rolls them out is rather clever. You start out with the basic Brutal Doom loadout, and it ups the tech level gradually over the course of a megawad, so you'll eventually start encountering higher level monsters, but you'll have new weapons on par with them. It falls into an interesting rhythm and even works pretty nicely with wads intended for pistol starts.

It's introduced surprisingly gradually, too. You probably won't be seeing any new enemies until 4-5 levels in.

It's fully integrated with the Doomvisor HUD. It also seems to also fix some basic BDv20 balance and tech issues. No longer is the Revenant launcher totally useless, and the game no longer slows to an unplayable crawl if multiple explosions happen in water. It's surprisingly polished and professional feeling, considering it's a mod of a mod.

There's new behaviour and movement for just about every enemy, but it's all modular and toggleable, so you don't have to have wall-crawling imps or jetpacking revenants if you don't want. A surprising amount of effort went into this one. Some of the dual-wielding sprites aren't the best, but all the basic guns stick to the same style, so it feels internally consistent.

Oh yeah, and it brings back automatic Comic Doomguy one-liners. Not often, but you hear maybe 3-4 per level. I'm really interested in seeing how well this meshes with that official Brutal Doom megaWAD that's due sometime in the next few weeks.

Dominic White fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Sep 11, 2015

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

I wanna play it, but I'm in the middle of building a new computer desk so I can't really set my desktop up to check everything out :<

Guess that's more time to devote to Super Mario Maker, at least.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
Which non-standard Doom controls are used in Reelism? I've enabled mouselook, and mapped the crouch and inventory buttons. Should I be mapping secondary fire, jump, or anything else?

Anyway, toyed around with the new release during lunch break and it was a great time. :)

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Minidust posted:

Which non-standard Doom controls are used in Reelism? I've enabled mouselook, and mapped the crouch and inventory buttons. Should I be mapping secondary fire, jump, or anything else?

Crouch, jump, inventory. I don't think it does altfires at all, but I may be wrong.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Dominic White posted:

I don't think it does altfires at all, but I may be wrong.
X2 did; the Duke weapons had a quick-kick alt-fire.

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!
You'll also want alt-fire for when your tank is fight

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Dominic White posted:

Crouch, jump, inventory. I don't think it does altfires at all, but I may be wrong.

Yeah, alt-fire is for the tank, I believe. Can't think of any other use for it. For me, I use Q for the 'item use' button, and 'Z' for item select (pressing it multiple times cycles through the items). That might sound janky, but it works. :black101:

Highblood
May 20, 2012

Let's talk about tactics.
Is there a way to make whatever you rolled re-appear on screen or do I just tough it out until I learn what every icon is? It's kind of crazy in the middle of the game to look at what's happening this round.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Personally I just toughed it out until I learned what effect each icon on the HUD corresponded to.

Of course, I also started with the first expansion of Reelism, and each set of reels has only gotten bigger and better since then, but I still think it's manageable enough. If it helps, maybe just focus on memorizing one category of reels (ie: gameplay modifiers, weapons or monsters, in that order from left-to-right) at a time? Or reference the included documentation a few times over.

Alternatively, become a dirty cheater and use "pukename rigslots x y z" in the console, where x, y and z are integers corresponding to desired gameplay reel, weapon reel and monster reel, respectively.

QwertySanchez
Jun 19, 2009

a wacky guy
It's been a while since I played Reelism, I should get the new update, but I'm pretty sure if you hit the console button. (the one left of 1) it will show you the text that came up on screen..

Edit: Since we're all playing Reelism again. Apparently you can do it in Zandronum, I'm not sure if that way's totally supported yet, but if not...

QwertySanchez posted:

:siren:How to Play REELISM in Multiplayer:siren:
I'm going to assume you know how to do things like port forward and get your ip, since there's plenty of places to get that info online.

the first thing you're going to want is Quickly Launchering zDoom. https://github.com/downloads/SavageMessiah/QLZ/Launcher.exe get it.

Load up QLZ, and set up the directories for your zDoom, and for your IWAD. The IWAD in this case is Doom2.wad, it'll look something like this.

Next, click the "Add File" button under that big white space. then make sure to pick "all files(*.*)" as the file type. like so.

select Reelism's pk7 file.

From here you could just hit launch and play single player. but if you wanna join a game, put the mode to "client" and get the IP of the server you want to join. and press launch.

If you're hosting. it's a little more complicated. Select "Server" from mode. and put the number of players into the players box. Don't forget to count yourself.

edit: you used to have to type in the level name, but now you can just type Lobby and that'll put you in a fancy room where you can access all the maps.

wait for the clients to join and voi la.

Make sure everyone has the same version of their doom2.wad, the same version of GLDoom or GZDoom or whatever you're using. If you're getting desynchs, this is probably why.

QwertySanchez fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Sep 11, 2015

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
Aight, thanks for the control tips, all!

Highblood posted:

Is there a way to make whatever you rolled re-appear on screen or do I just tough it out until I learn what every icon is? It's kind of crazy in the middle of the game to look at what's happening this round.
If you haven't already, I'd suggest turning off the Alternative HUD, and enabling "Stretch status bar." You'll still have to recognize the different Reel icons, but they'll be much easier to see at a glance.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.
I can't get reelism to work, is it just drag and drop over the GZdoom application? I get an error messages saying 'Script Error "reelism_x3.pk3:actors/pickups/throwables.dec" line 351: "NOTONAUTOMAP" is an unknown flag' and also 'Script Error "reelism_x3.pk3:actors/d-dog.dec"line 201:invalid state parameters a_setspeed'.

Any advice?

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Generally when you get messages from ZDoom that such or such flag/property/parameter/whatever is unknown or invalid, what it really means is that the mod was created for a newer version in which this flag/property/parameter/whatever is known and valid.

If your GZDoom comes from the osnanet coelckers site, then it's very outdated. The latest official versions are here and development builds are there.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

khwarezm posted:

I can't get reelism to work, is it just drag and drop over the GZdoom application? I get an error messages saying 'Script Error "reelism_x3.pk3:actors/pickups/throwables.dec" line 351: "NOTONAUTOMAP" is an unknown flag' and also 'Script Error "reelism_x3.pk3:actors/d-dog.dec"line 201:invalid state parameters a_setspeed'.

Any advice?
I got that. I tried it with the devbuild and it worked.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Cat Mattress posted:

Generally when you get messages from ZDoom that such or such flag/property/parameter/whatever is unknown or invalid, what it really means is that the mod was created for a newer version in which this flag/property/parameter/whatever is known and valid.

If your GZDoom comes from the osnanet coelckers site, then it's very outdated. The latest official versions are here and development builds are there.

Oh ok, it more up to date and works good now.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

I can second (or third?) pulling up the console to see the announcement text for your current reels.

Really, though, the more you play, the easier it becomes to quickly glance up and get the jist of what's going on when the text shows up. I haven't even memorized the icons (as great as they are), I really just read the text quickly.

Eventually, you'll see stuff like NRG, Gunfinity, Reelism64, This is my Boomstick, etc and know right off the bat.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

IIRC, the names of each reel are dumped to the console as stated, but the flavor text beneath it is not. I suppose that's just as well, since it's the reel names you'd want to reference anyway, but still...

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

So does anyone else have the problem in JRPGville in which the running water sound is extremely loud and heard all over the map?

the cool posts kid
Jul 24, 2007

I think it's a gzdoom issue, the ambient sounds in a map I'm working on started doing the same recently

Captain_Red
Mar 2, 2007
I'm a Captain
I want to like Reelism, but for some reason it just loves throwing the terrible heretic weapons at me every second round or so and I get stuck trying to ethereal crossbow, or worse, fire mace my way out of the last few rounds.

Are heretic weapons supposed to be really common?

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

Captain_Red posted:

I want to like Reelism, but for some reason it just loves throwing the terrible heretic weapons at me every second round or so and I get stuck trying to ethereal crossbow, or worse, fire mace my way out of the last few rounds.

its just random. i had 4 rounds in a row of just dog mode/tank mode.

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.
gzdoom is terrible... it seems to crash if you alt-tab out, even if it's in windowed mode?

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Keiya posted:

gzdoom is terrible... it seems to crash if you alt-tab out, even if it's in windowed mode?
Can't say as I've ever had that problem.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Keiya posted:

I've never had that issue.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Mak0rz posted:

So does anyone else have the problem in JRPGville in which the running water sound is extremely loud and heard all over the map?

jimmy boag posted:

I think it's a gzdoom issue, the ambient sounds in a map I'm working on started doing the same recently

I'm pretty sure it's just this issue. Check that you're using FMOD Ex instead of OpenAL. At some point the devbuilds changed the FMOD version they were compiled with, so if you had kept the old fmodex.dll around and only extracted the newer gzdoom.exe/pk3, then fmod stopped working and gzdoom defaulted to using OpenAL.

the cool posts kid
Jul 24, 2007

I probably shouldn't keep zdoom and gzdoom in the same folder

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Captain_Red posted:

Play Shuffle mode; the point of it is that it only gives you each reel once. After you've experienced them all, the boss comes.

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

better waste some time with you
Kind of spoilery bug report for Kins:

Is reel 4-4-4 meant to crash the game?

Rocket Pan
Nov 3, 2011

Anything can be sent, as long as it's less than 1200 bytes

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Play Shuffle mode; the point of it is that it only gives you each reel once. After you've experienced them all, the boss comes.

I never got the chance to fine tune shuffle mode for this release. Has anybody had any issues with it, or is it running smoothly?

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

Shuffle mode seems to be running fine for me but gently caress if I'll ever survive it all the way to the boss.

On a completely unrelated note, the Dog mode bark attack seems less reliable than I remember it. Are certain enemies supposed to be immune?

On a third unrelated note, Gutrot Island used to be my go-to map, but I'm really digging the updated JRPGville and I'm warming up to the Contra one that I'm currently forgetting the name of.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Scyther posted:

On a completely unrelated note, the Dog mode bark attack seems less reliable than I remember it. Are certain enemies supposed to be immune?
BarkBlast was recoded because the original code from ROTT TC was... weird in a way that caused it to not work if the Caffeine reel was active unless you were in mid-air. I guess one of the side effects is it's slightly less awesome now. I'll see if I can twiddle with it, because odds are I'm gonna have to do a bug fix update at some point soon.

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

better waste some time with you

Scyther posted:

Shuffle mode seems to be running fine for me but gently caress if I'll ever survive it all the way to the boss.

On a third unrelated note, Gutrot Island used to be my go-to map, but I'm really digging the updated JRPGville and I'm warming up to the Contra one that I'm currently forgetting the name of.

Fort FireStorm. It's amazing and expansive and I wish I could fiddle with the monster density because that map is screaming to be filled with 40x more baddies per reel. Some observations with it though:

- The barbed wire around the starting area can't be flown over.
- I might just be getting old, but getting to the top of the waterfall is a real pain in the rear end. There's an angled floor at the far top right which I always miss, and a lot of the islands are really easy for me to miss.
- In the waterfall area, on the ramp at the opposite side, projectiles and enemies seem to randomly teleport out of existence (complete with green flash). I assume they're being teleported to somewhere else on the map?

EDIT: Oh my god the redesigned JRPGville is great too. Did any other maps get significant overhauls?

Catalyst-proof fucked around with this message at 13:52 on Sep 12, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

There's a grocery store with smashed in windows on Gutrot Island that I don't remember seeing before but there's a chance that was there all along and I just never went to that side of the map by insane coincidence.