Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Commissar Canuck
Aug 5, 2008

They made fun of us! And it's Stanley Cup season!

Tamir Lenk posted:

I used snaps on the tunic, mating them to the medallions and cloak. The male potion of the snap screws into the back of the medallion through the cloak, so I can snap the cloak and medallions to the tunic.

Thanks! Another question for those of you with leg armour: how many straps do you use to connect the thigh armour to a garter belt? Is one enough?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tamir Lenk
Nov 25, 2009

Commissar Canuck posted:

Thanks! Another question for those of you with leg armour: how many straps do you use to connect the thigh armour to a garter belt? Is one enough?

I used one strap from the top to an H harness, as a belt was not enough.

What are you making the armor with?

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

More (dumb) fun with preparing for DragonCon.

Pajamas not intended to be con-wear. :P

Commissar Canuck
Aug 5, 2008

Tamir Lenk posted:

I used one strap from the top to an H harness, as a belt was not enough.

What are you making the armor with?

Armour is being made out of foam mats. I'm planning on wearing a velcro lift belt with suspenders underneath to help secure some of the stuff.

Tamir Lenk
Nov 25, 2009

Commissar Canuck posted:

Armour is being made out of foam mats. I'm planning on wearing a velcro lift belt with suspenders underneath to help secure some of the stuff.

That should be fine then. I made mine in aluminum, so the belt alone tended to sag under the weight-load

Commissar Canuck
Aug 5, 2008

Tamir Lenk posted:

That should be fine then. I made mine in aluminum, so the belt alone tended to sag under the weight-load

Where did you attach the strap? Front, back or side?

Tamir Lenk
Nov 25, 2009

Commissar Canuck posted:

Where did you attach the strap? Front, back or side?

The thigh armor only covered the front, so just the front.

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

Commissar Canuck posted:

It pays to have friends who are willing to help advance the agenda of DOOM. A friend has a 3D printer and was able to sketch up a nice pair of medallions (these are about 12cm in diameter)

Here's a test one with a bit of gold on it to bring out the details:

Next up with be sanding the raised bits and filling the print lines in the recesses. I'm leaning towards filler primer, but does anyone have any better experiences with other stuff? Another friend was able to put together the tunic and cloak with the fabric I provided. Here's a pic of me testing it out with my completed mask and makeshift belts :toot:

Now I just need to figure out how to attach the medallions and chain to the outfit without it weighing down the front. I found a replacement purse chain that's perfect and has clasps built into it already.

I remember in the 3d printing thread someone posted pictures of a 3d printed mini gun and the maker was able to get a smooth metal appearance using auto primer to fill the gaps and doing minimal sanding to the top layer to great effect. I found a thread on it but Im on a work computer so I don't know if the pictures are missing or its our filter. http://forum.typeamachines.com/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=195

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Pagan posted:

One costume I've always wanted to try : The Abhorsen.

The problem is the bells. They wear a bandolier with 7 different magical bells, and they are crucial to the character.

I cannot find any sort of matching set of 7 differently sized bells. Even looking at high end orchestral suppliers, the only luck is buying them individually at outrageous prices. No sets. I also can't figure out how to make them, since they're different sizes. For molds, I'd have to make 7 matching molds, but out of what? Slush casting with resin?

I do metalwork, so I'm even willing to try casting them, but I wouldn't know what technique to use. Lost wax, perhaps, but then I'm back to making 7 identical but differently scaled molds. It would be nice if they worked, or at least looked realistic, so I don't want to make a bandolier that has empty pouches holding handles. Any suggestions?

I should have thought about this before, but why not 3D printing? It'd be easy to scale the model into 7 different sizes. There are usually resources for 3D printing somewhere in your area, and plenty of people on Etsy will take 3D printing commissions.

Commissar Canuck
Aug 5, 2008

So sometimes being impatient with filler primer and metallic paints pays off in the form of cool texture effects :toot:

Deadite
Aug 30, 2003

A fat guy, a watermelon, and a stack of magazines?
Family.
My costume is almost finished. The last parts for the switches (which were surprisingly hard to find) arrive this week, so fingers crossed that this whole thing works as planned.

This is the same costume, it isn't a great photo because it's laid out on my bed and was hard to photograph at a decent angle.

Edit: Made a video of the mask in action https://youtu.be/ujhf-Seutfk

I had a lamp on, but it is still hard to see the switch. It's just a keychain switch like for unlocking car doors.

Deadite fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Sep 2, 2015

Boomerjinks
Jan 31, 2007

DINO DAMAGE
Finally digging into the guitar.

Astonishingly, the size I chose for the fan shroud pretty much exactly fits your average spring coil starter for a lawnmower. It's amazing.

The cringeworthy point of no return.

Hard to really see here, but we'll send the router through one more pass making the hole slightly deeper and wider and the spring coil and pulley should fit perfectly.

It isn't gonna go RRRRRRNNNNGGGGHHH when she pulls it, but it will spin up the fan blades and the pulley will return the cord automatically. Excitement!!!

ironveins
Nov 24, 2007
They like you better framed and dried.
I've decided just now (because I'm super smart) that I want to try to do a Delenn from B5 costume for this Halloween. While the robes aren't a problem (easy to alter already found robes and sewing is something I'm comfortable with) I'm kind of stumped when it comes to making the necessary headpiece.

I'm aiming for Season 2, so this headpiece

Does anyone have suggestions for materials or techniques for creating something like this? I was considering using a polystyrene base, then using air dry paper clay to create the necessary detail work. Or should I just give up and go as Thin White Duke era David Bowie?

ironveins fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Sep 3, 2015

McPantserton
Jan 19, 2005

IRONICALLY SWEALTERING

ironveins posted:

I've decided just now (because I'm super smart) that I want to try to do a Delenn from B5 costume for this Halloween. While the robes aren't a problem (easy to alter already found robes and sewing is something I'm comfortable with) I'm kind of stumped when it comes to making the necessary headpiece.

Does anyone have suggestions for materials or techniques for creating something like this? I was considering using a polystyrene base, then using air dry paper clay to create the necessary detail work. Or should I just give up and go as Thin White Duke era David Bowie?

If it were me and I wasn't super super worried about wearing it more than a few times I would probably make this out of craft foam for myself! With a bunch of overlapping ones for the venty things and a strip on top for trim I think you could get pretty close and have it be very cheap and very light.

ironveins
Nov 24, 2007
They like you better framed and dried.

McPantserton posted:

If it were me and I wasn't super super worried about wearing it more than a few times I would probably make this out of craft foam for myself! With a bunch of overlapping ones for the venty things and a strip on top for trim I think you could get pretty close and have it be very cheap and very light.

Awesome! Thanks. :)

Kitty Burger
May 23, 2005
Mmm, taste like kitty...

ironveins posted:

One of my instructors still has a piece like this. He took it with him when he left the show.

Deadite
Aug 30, 2003

Family.
My Halloween costume is finished. Now I just have to wait until October until I can wear this puppy on the streets of Salem to delight tourists.

Here is a video of me dancing around, since photos don't really capture the effect

https://youtu.be/EEi21XnzCBU

eonblue174
Sep 13, 2011

Still chipping away at the Anthem killer

Chop, chop, chop

Deadite posted:

My Halloween costume is finished. Now I just have to wait until October until I can wear this puppy on the streets of Salem to delight tourists.

Here is a video of me dancing around, since photos don't really capture the effect

Dude that looks sweet, I like the character change bit.

Transmogrifier
Dec 10, 2004

Systems at max!

Lipstick Apathy

Deadite posted:

Echoing the poster above. This is great.

Deadite
Aug 30, 2003

Family.
Thanks! Fingers crossed that nothing breaks in the next month

TwystNeko
Dec 25, 2004

*ya~~wn*
So I've finally gotten around to starting one of my prop projects - I'm currently making a Dubstep Gun, from Saints Row IV.

I'm making it out of that pink insulation foam, and 3d printing all the detail parts. It's looking good so far:

The matrix at the back is going to run little animations, and I just figured out how to get speakers working, and I'll run audio off an old phone that I'll be mounting as the viewfinder. Also planning to add some EL wire.

I figure I'll wear my DeadMau5 helmet and run around Edmonton Expo with it. :D

Tamir Lenk
Nov 25, 2009

TwystNeko posted:

So I've finally gotten around to starting one of my prop projects - I'm currently making a Dubstep Gun, from Saints Row IV.

I'm making it out of that pink insulation foam, and 3d printing all the detail parts. It's looking good so far:

The matrix at the back is going to run little animations, and I just figured out how to get speakers working, and I'll run audio off an old phone that I'll be mounting as the viewfinder. Also planning to add some EL wire.

I figure I'll wear my DeadMau5 helmet and run around Edmonton Expo with it. :D

Saints Row cosplay, you say?

TwystNeko
Dec 25, 2004

*ya~~wn*
Yea, I'd love to do a Professor Genki costume, I just don't have time this year.

Tamir Lenk
Nov 25, 2009

TwystNeko posted:

Yea, I'd love to do a Professor Genki costume, I just don't have time this year.

Heh, the Genki suit was a guy from Volition. My "cosplay" was doing a 3rd Street Saints bike.

Faltion
Jul 4, 2004

I am an anachronism

Commissar Canuck posted:

So sometimes being impatient with filler primer and metallic paints pays off in the form of cool texture effects :toot:

For future reference smooth-on makes some stuff called XTC-3D that is made for leveling out the striations in 3d prints. Worked alright for me on a ABS 3d printed prop I used it on (before moving to SLA printing), but takes some practice to get right.

Also that texture is pretty sweet.

Funhilde
Jun 1, 2011

Cats Love Me.
My little neighbor 8 wants a clone trooper costume made and it needs to be durable because she will wear it a bunch. I'm trying to figure out the cheapest but best option for this.

TwystNeko
Dec 25, 2004

*ya~~wn*
ARGH. Sometimes, I really really hate being limited by my budget and being unable to actually afford to do things the "best" way.

The dubstep gun, being made of pink foam, needs to be sealed. the "ideal" method is to coat it in epoxy resin, which will strengthen it and give it a nice hard smooth surface. The method I can afford is mod podge. It works, but can be finicky, and sometimes it doesn't coat well enough.

In this case, it didn't quite coat the area enough, and I've got this happening:
https://goo.gl/photos/oQWeqbK4WJ57ZnXE7

that's the worst of it - some desiccation at the tip, and a lot of pitting around that hole. I have a couple of possible ways to fix it, but they're not going to be good. :(

1) cut the affected areas out and rebuild them. Not really a viable choice, as things are painted and glued.
2) make a "sheath" of white craft foam. I can get a huge piece in white for $10 at michaels, big enough to just glue on, trace it, and trim down. Of course, this adds some width, and makes it a matte finish. Might be the best route though.

Other than that, it's coming along - got things wired internally for the LED matrix at the back, and the speaker up front. Had to put a chunk of steel in there to counterbalance the speaker end. Apart from the fixes, I still need to get some aluminum rod or something to make the stylus arm and the front speaker protector.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Is there a reason you can't get some artist's paste or even just spackle and use that to smooth the areas over?

McPantserton
Jan 19, 2005

IRONICALLY SWEALTERING
Elmers woodfiller is pretty cheap and sandable, maybe?

TwystNeko
Dec 25, 2004

*ya~~wn*
Thanks, never thought of that. I'd definitely prefer to do something like that.

Edit: The front end of the gun is looking good, though.

https://goo.gl/photos/EX1yRU1epXwbsgRD6

TwystNeko fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Sep 11, 2015

Reformed Tomboy
Feb 2, 2005

chu~~

TwystNeko posted:

The method I can afford is mod podge. It works, but can be finicky, and sometimes it doesn't coat well enough.

In this case, it didn't quite coat the area enough, and I've got this happening:
https://goo.gl/photos/oQWeqbK4WJ57ZnXE7

How many coats did you use? I've never heard of using mod podge on pink foam, but I use it on EVA foam all the time. I do no less than 3 coats, so I'd image it takes a few more to do pink foam which is more porous than EVA. In your image it looks like those areas didn't get enough mod podge to become fully sealed, and so the paint soaked into the gaps and left that texture.

TwystNeko
Dec 25, 2004

*ya~~wn*
I did a couple, but clearly I didn't do enough. At least it's at the hand finishing stage now, and just about anything like spackle will work, as this is a rigid prop rather than flexible.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

I have some gloves I'm building that I want to have that sort of "lava-flowing-through-cracks" kinda look. Sort of a red pulse that you can see move from the elbows toward the finger tips. Does anyone have any recommendations for a setup that would be relatively cheap and low-profile?

TwystNeko
Dec 25, 2004

*ya~~wn*
They do make EL wire that has a flowing effect. Like so: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n3moYbyQs-g

Alternately, strips of RGB leds run by an arduino controller - I've seen some really nice fire effects.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

TwystNeko posted:

They do make EL wire that has a flowing effect. Like so: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n3moYbyQs-g

Alternately, strips of RGB leds run by an arduino controller - I've seen some really nice fire effects.

Ooh, I'm actually using a couple of Ardunos in this particular project. Do you happen to have any specific examples you could link?

TwystNeko
Dec 25, 2004

*ya~~wn*
http://blog.kriegsman.org/2014/04/04/fire2012-an-open-source-fire-simulation-for-arduino-and-leds/ is probably the best one.

for LEDs, look on Aliexpress. WS2812 strips are cheapish, and you can get them in a variety of LEDS/strip , from 30/m to 144/m.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Newbie question, and a fairly terrible reference pic.

I'm looking to make this outfit, and I was wondering what fabric would be best for it.

It has to be pretty vivid red, and fairly light so I don't end up heatstroking out under it, especially if I'm going to be wearing a mask. Cheap is obviously a bonus too.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

You can probably just get away with a linen-look fabric (those tend to be pretty light) with a lining of broadcloth (also fairly light and breathable). No matter what you make the costume from, though, remember to wear wicking garments underneath to help keep yourself dry and cool!

The mask is also going to be a bitch in terms of heat, but it looks like you'll be using enough black mesh/screening that you'll have some airflow.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Tshirt material might work for the tunic and pants. Dunno about the sleeves though.

Mask is gonna be a bitch but you can put in some cpu fans to help cool you down a bit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Patattack
Nov 23, 2008

The English Language!
So I've switched gears for my Halloween costume this year, and I've decided to try cobbling together an Immortan Joe. I've got a lot of good resources on the RPF to help with the actual costume, but I wanted to see if anyone had any ideas about doing his artificially-deepened voice. I've seen dedicated Darth Vader voice-changer circuit boards, but they're over $400, so that's not happening. On the other end of the spectrum, I could get a kids' voice changer toy for like $15, but that's gonna have awful sound quality.

As a possible alternative, I've found an Android app called RoboVox, which allows for real-time pitch shifting (with a tiny delay) if you use headphones/microphone. I'm wondering if it would be feasible to project that output over a cheap Bluetooth speaker that I could hide somewhere on my person. Question is, how can I keep the phone and speaker batteries from dying quickly? And where do I hide the speaker such that it's easily audible, but not visible (and not so close to the microphone that it causes feedback)?

Costume shot for reference:

I was thinking that the bellows behind the neck would be the most reasonable place to hide a speaker, but I worry that it'll sound weird coming from behind my head. I think my ideal would be hiding a tiny speaker in each of the little black air filters that come out around the neck (next to the hoses), but that's probably too cramped.