Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!

Spooky Bear Ghost posted:

I kinda want some kind of mission thats a "hold up as long as possible" type thing, where you are guaranteed to die at the end. Like, holding off infested while colonists evacuate the planet/asteroid/colony ship. Hang out in a box shaped building with four ramparts aiming out, then just stay alive as long as possible until the enemies overwhelm you. Then ordis puts you in a stasis pod or something and sucks you back up, and you get loot based on how many colonists you save. Functionally it wouldnt be much different than survival, but also want to have a starship troopers holdout against tons of enemies type thing. :v:
Survival was introduced in an event. Instead of using the regular map generation, it used a defense tile and there was no physical extraction. Or proper extraction, for that matter. If you wanted to leave, you let the air run out and hope you didn't die before that time came because you stuck around for so long that railgun moas were one-shotting people through some walls and other squad members.

One big drat room. Endless dudes incoming. We must kill more and more and more.

Event Survival really needs to come back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cathair
Jan 7, 2008

Caffeine IV posted:

Hold on, hold on; I was joking about the funhating- I forgot that wasn't really totally ludicrous hyperbole for someone to say in this thread :(

I hadn't considered putting Speed Trigger on with Critical Delay because that's another mod for damage gone, and I have a mental hangup about 'wasting' slots like that. It's totally reasonable to ignore that for most situations, but I'm always modding to go as far into an endless mission as possible, which means damage. Now, I don't find going for hour-long Survivals or whatever fun, and I basically never do it, but I'm uncomfortable making a build that leaves potential damage on the table because the next Prime'll come out someday and I will get desperate enough to do it.

As for Heavy Caliber, I routinely make shots from across the Void Defense map or Draco, and I'm comfortable with how it feels. If it's farther than that, then it's not really an enemy that I'm going to care about; if it has to die, I'd rather move up and reduce the pressure to aim than take longer and still possibly miss. Headshots are a non-factor to me, too: when I loose an arrow, I want that to punch through as many bodies as possible, and lining up chests is much, much easier than lining up heads.

Basically, the issue is that even with 100% crit, you will eventually run into enemies that take a second arrow or grenade to kill. I'm in Male Man's camp; 97.3% chance to crit is reliable enough for me, and I'd rather push that kill threshold forward a few minutes, even if only theoretically. If you're uncomfortable without perfect accuracy and crit rate, by all means, mod towards that.

e;oh, and I love point-blank arrows because that's badass :c00lbert:

Fair enough! I was thinking as I typed that I was kinda leaving out the eventuality of ridiculously high-leveled enemies that can't be one-shotted even with guaranteed-double-crit headshots, in that situation higher average damage does come out on top. But despite the way I get annoyed when people overrate weapons or builds just because they perform well against level 20 enemies or whatever, I myself hardly ever end up dealing with enemies beyond level 40 or 45. I tend to build for what's good enough to get by against super high-level enemies, as an edge case use, not so much what's best against them. :shobon:

I find that bows suffer pretty badly from Hcal, but the ranges you're talking about are all you reasonably need to be able to hit with a bow, so if you can manage that with Hcal on there's no problem.

FunkyFlashman
May 10, 2013
I suggest two things. First implement tier5 its due. Make the keys rare and worth farming at start if u have to. Second stop being wasteful with resources while you do an event. An event could be used as a way to develop the game. For example. When they do event they have to check first if its balanced or something wonky happens and then the hotfix hits. Then they recheck and more hotfixes pop up as more exploits are used and discovered. So instead of doing an event and rebalancing it all the time and then putting it into the trash bin they should instead use this whole process to have a finished special mission at the end they can offer forever as a mission.

They could have a select few fun special missions plus the randomly generated mission nodes. How about putting them on a 1 week cooldown. As a reward a few written words and a nice screen similar to codex would be enough. For example why cant i do the draco event with the level 130 enemies once a week?

FunkyFlashman fucked around with this message at 12:32 on Sep 11, 2015

Denzine
Sep 2, 2011

One time, I did a thing.

Fish Noise posted:

Survival was introduced in an event. Instead of using the regular map generation, it used a defense tile and there was no physical extraction. Or proper extraction, for that matter. If you wanted to leave, you let the air run out and hope you didn't die before that time came because you stuck around for so long that railgun moas were one-shotting people through some walls and other squad members.

One big drat room. Endless dudes incoming. We must kill more and more and more.

Event Survival really needs to come back.

:agreed:

current survival is poo poo comparatively

edit: Rakta Cernos is a good weapon but it's lovely because it takes the gimmick of a bow or other sniper and throws it the gently caress away.
edit2: Kinda like a lot of the guns they've made recently, actually.

Denzine fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Sep 11, 2015

Coldbird
Jul 17, 2001

be spiritless

FunkyFlashman posted:

I suggest two things. First implement tier5 its due.
Problem: This is not a good idea by itself. More level creep is not what this game needs, not unless you're also wanting to up the frame and gear level cap too. The level scaling issues discussed previously only become more obvious in T4. While I don't doubt T5 would be doable, the problem is that high end strategies against 60+ mobs inevitably become pretty ~degenerate gameplay~. Remember the Rift sigil alert? Imagine that, forever. Really they need to look at the scaling system before they add another tier.

That or make T5 a raid only tier, which might be an interesting idea.

quote:

Make the keys rare and worth farming at start if u have to.
Probably kind of irrelevant, the existing key and void access structure is going away with the new star chart. It's unclear what will happen to existing keys.

quote:

Second stop being wasteful with resources while you do an event. An event could be used as a way to develop the game. For example. When they do event they have to check first if its balanced or something wonky happens and then the hotfix hits. Then they recheck and more hotfixes pop up as more exploits are used and discovered. So instead of doing an event and rebalancing it all the time and then putting it into the trash bin they should instead use this whole process to have a finished special mission at the end they can offer forever as a mission.
There's been talk in several past streams that they want to overhaul the quest system to let players re-play previous events, but that may be a long time coming.

quote:

They could have a select few fun special missions plus the randomly generated mission nodes. How about putting them on a 1 week cooldown. As a reward a few written words and a nice screen similar to codex would be enough. For example why cant i do the draco event with the level 130 enemies once a week?
This is kind of similar to what they're already hinting the new star chart will be like. Instead of a zillion nodes, it will just be about 20, one for each current planet/moon on the circle now, but there will be rotating special rewards and events that keep you doing different mission types and tilesets.

And I guess you didn't do the Rift sigil event. It literally was Draco with level 130 enemies. It was poo poo and the only ways to beat it were degenerate as hell.

The sigil is cool though, looks great on my excal's back

FunkyFlashman
May 10, 2013
I have around 500 void keys(80% of that lower then tier3), did they drop any hints yet when we will loose them? Gotta run a few dozen t3surv/t3def before that happens, guess i can invite some goons as well(if someone needs).

Level 50-80 mobs should be np imho. I just did a t4 cap and it was level 30-39 mobs. And that is supposed to be the hardest missions. Thats just silly. Your arguments are all valid and true, but the problems you mention start later, may be at level 60. Thats plenty plenty space for another tier.

Also making mobs tough by giving them dmg reduction is problematic, a vay hek style weakspot to shoot at/banshee sonic radar mechanic would be nice imho for eximus level enemies and would help with the exponential enemy scaling. The levels of the enemies could rise slower or have a harder mix of mobs in the waves as well.

FunkyFlashman fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Sep 11, 2015

Denzine
Sep 2, 2011

One time, I did a thing.
I have over 1000.

Whatever they turn them into, I will have a loving ridiculous amount of it.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Coldbird posted:

Instead of a zillion nodes, it will just be about 20, one for each current planet/moon on the circle now, but there will be rotating special rewards and events that keep you doing different mission types and tilesets.

That sounds like poo poo.

Male Man
Aug 16, 2008

Im, too sexy for your teatime
Too sexy for your teatime
That tea that you're just driiinkiing
On the other hand, it's basically the only change they've talked about that would make the game actually more accessible to new players. Not having to slog through 200-some samey missions to unlock alerts and the 5 nodes that matter would be a huge boon.

And they've at least acknowledged that potentially killing the ability to collect certain resources with anything approaching efficiency is a problem.

Shadowed Bacon
Apr 28, 2009

Inzombiac posted:

One of you let me know that my Frost Prime BP is rare because it was discontinued.
Should I market this as I can't make the whole thing or hold on to it?

Never not Frost Prime.It's a really good frame (unless you already froma'd/potatoed a normal frost and don't what to deal with a lot of trading)

I've heard rumors of the vaulted stuff coming back after the star map overhaul, but who knows.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Male Man posted:

On the other hand, it's basically the only change they've talked about that would make the game actually more accessible to new players. Not having to slog through 200-some samey missions to unlock alerts and the 5 nodes that matter would be a huge boon.

And they've at least acknowledged that potentially killing the ability to collect certain resources with anything approaching efficiency is a problem.

Honestly, that's my main concern. I don't want to lose Triton / Draco / Akkad / whatever the ones for neurodes and sensors are. I don't want to have to try to farm cells in exterminations.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

22 Eargesplitten posted:

That sounds like poo poo.

Seriously? It's fantastic. There's no difference between two exterminate galleons in the same (or even roughly the same) level range. The only thing it achieved is ensuring that there's one guy looking for a squad on one node and someone else on another. Most tilesets could be boiled down to one node per mission type, at the very least.

Coldbird
Jul 17, 2001

be spiritless
It's unclear right now if it means the mission types themselves will cycle around (e.g "today Mars is MD and Neptune is exterm, oh and Alad V is up on Jupiter") or if it will be a dial-a-mission thing where the planet just determines tileset. Dial a mission sounds bad, inevitably a certain tileset would be the "best" and you would never see the others again... you know, much like now.

The Void will still be around, but not a key access thing; they sort of implied once that it would be a random popup event that appears sometimes, and that each one could give prime parts, but you might (?) know beforehand which one it is which would be huge. Unclear if the Void popup event would be on the starchart or an actual portal in a mission; hopefully on map, I really don't want to get stuck doing void poo poo with pubbies if I can avoid it.

I'm hoping they actually do something like Rifts and Greater Rifts in D3. You set an enemy level but that's it. You hit it and you don't know what tileset, enemy type, or mission type you're up against, so you just bring your favorite good stuff and don't fit for killing any one faction and see what happens. You could get prime bits for each objective, up to a cap per run. You could go into the rifts through random map spawns, but you can also use keys to force a spawn.

This would spell the death of a lot of gimmick builds and super pigeonhole frames, though, like Limbo or speed Nova. Frost might survive.

Given, this is mostly based on random comments from streams past, and if we applied the same idea to poo poo they said about movement 2.0 then we would see something pretty different than the end product.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

I'll be honest, now that I've unlocked Ceres I'm mostly fine with the current system - certainly I like choosing and knowing my mission type - and my two big complaints are that primes being vaulted is a thing (which sounds like it will be fixed) and that the only way to get the very necessary potatoes is random alerts, which it sounds like this system is going to make the case for loving everything. gently caress. That.

Lord Wexia
Sep 27, 2005

Boo zombie apocalypse.
Hooray beer!

DE_Adam posted:

Title: Vulklok Damage Adjustments

Our recent release of the Vulklok Sentinel weapon has shown the weapon to be a little too powerful compared to other Sentinel weapons -- largely because it's not a Sentinel weapon at all. After reviewing the overall damage of the Vulklok we realized too late that the weapon's damage was mirroring another sniper weapon in game: the Lanka.

As a result, using the Diriga became a pretty overpowering experience as the little Grineer Sentinel was packing heat it really shouldn't have gotten its electrified tentacles on. True to its Grineer heritage, the Diriga is certainly good at re-purposing other technology for its own use!

Because of this we are currently planning for the following changes to be made to the Vulklok Sentinel weapon:

The Vulklok will remain to be a high crit sniper weapon, but with reduced accuracy at a distance and while moving. Vulklok's current rate of fire will be reduced. Proc chance for electric procs will be increased. Vulklok's current weapon damage decreased.

We understand that these changes will be a little jarring for anyone that has gotten used to the Diriga's current weapon prowess and apologize for the inconvenience this may cause.

-DE_Adam

Comment: At least now it won't kill the synthesis target all the time...

Can't say I'm surprised. This makes it a little tougher to bring under-leveled guns into a mission and rely on the sentinel instead. Regardless I like the electric proc so I might keep it around.

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!

Coldbird posted:

Given, this is mostly based on random comments from streams past, and if we applied the same idea to poo poo they said about movement 2.0 then we would see something pretty different than the end product.
They somehow manage to make mission options even more cluttered, the key system more involved and essential to everything, and the overall NPE worse and even less intuitive.

Aside: I kinda want assassination alerts to come back and only use the old versions of bosses.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
"poo poo, people are using a sentinel weapon other than Sweeper Prime? Quick, nerf it and call it a bug!"
:sigh:
Also all these proposed map changes sound terrible. No, tier 5 isn't "due", and will only exacerbate current issues.

Malachite_Dragon fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Sep 11, 2015

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Just as I put my sixth Forma in too.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Strategic Tea posted:

Seriously? It's fantastic. There's no difference between two exterminate galleons in the same (or even roughly the same) level range. The only thing it achieved is ensuring that there's one guy looking for a squad on one node and someone else on another. Most tilesets could be boiled down to one node per mission type, at the very least.

Remove duplicates, fine. But I don't want to have to wait a week for Eris to switch around to Akkad if I'm short on credits, or Neptune to get to Triton when I'm out of cores.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

The damage down sucks, but I guess it was expected.

Souplesse
May 31, 2011

Gentlemoas.
I'm hoping for randbosses, personally. They've already demonstrated that the systems for doing variant AI and abilities are in place with Synthesis targets, so why not implement 'rare' enemies in addition to current Eximus 'magic' mooks? Having unique-ish enemy variants that behave differently and take some sustained fire to down would help break the monotony of chewing through hordes of Null bubbles and rando mooks. It'd also subtly incentivize single-target high-damage weapons, wink wink nudge nudge.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
Is Limbo at all viable outside of Defense? His abilities seem like a blast but I can see how plane shift fuckery might get tedious.

Denzine
Sep 2, 2011

One time, I did a thing.
Reports indicate the Vulklok can't hit a goddamn thing any more. Combined with the fire rate nerf it seems to be completely irrelevant now. Sweeper returns to the fore.

Eraflure
Oct 12, 2012

Captain Oblivious posted:

Is Limbo at all viable outside of Defense? His abilities seem like a blast but I can see how plane shift fuckery might get tedious.

He's pretty good when you forget about your magic ninja spells because you're drunk and do nothing but shoot guns.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Rhino's pretty much the best for that, though. Get knocked down, drunkenly realize you forgot to hit 2, hit 2 once you get up, go through the rest of the map pretty much impervious. Once you start to sober up, you hit 2 at the beginning, and 4 when surrounded by large groups.

djw175
Apr 23, 2012

by zen death robot

Corpus spies. While in the rift plane, Limbo does not set off lasers.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

djw175 posted:

Corpus spies. While in the rift plane, Limbo does not set off lasers.

I could swear they hotfixed this, but I may be misremembering it as them fixing being invisible not making you set off lasers. Which makes sense; you're invisible, not incorporeal.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Malachite_Dragon posted:

I could swear they hotfixed this, but I may be misremembering it as them fixing being invisible not making you set off lasers. Which makes sense; you're invisible, not incorporeal.

It's another plane of existence, you'd think that counts as incorporeal :shrug:

djw175
Apr 23, 2012

by zen death robot

Malachite_Dragon posted:

If they hotfixed it, they did it today because I just did it yesterday.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?

It's another plane of existence, you'd think that counts as incorporeal :shrug:

But the Tenno are already incorporeal. They are ghosts, after all.

Lord Wexia
Sep 27, 2005

Boo zombie apocalypse.
Hooray beer!
So I am thinking about dropping Steel Meridian and switching to the right-hand side syndicates. When I started playing I didn't realize I could be in 3 so I just did Red Veil and Steel.

Before I drop steel (I have the weapons, weapon mods, and syndana) what warframe mods should I pick up?

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Azran posted:

But the Tenno are already incorporeal. They are ghosts, after all.

No they aren't shut up :argh:

Lord Wexia posted:

So I am thinking about dropping Steel Meridian and switching to the right-hand side syndicates. When I started playing I didn't realize I could be in 3 so I just did Red Veil and Steel.

Before I drop steel (I have the weapons, weapon mods, and syndana) what warframe mods should I pick up?

I would get Fireball Frenzy (Ember), Chilling Globe (Frost), Ice Wave Impedance (Frost), Neutron Star (Nyx), Smite Infusion (Oberon), Iron Shrapnel (Rhino), Regenerative Molt (Saryn), and Venom Dose (Saryn).

Malachite_Dragon fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Sep 11, 2015

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Lord Wexia posted:

You can keep Steel friendly-ish while getting Loka and Perrin as long as you keep running the Red Veil missions. It will be faster if you let Steel drop by powering Perrin and Loka, but over time you can get all four to love you.

aegof
Mar 2, 2011

Survival, if you can deal with not picking up life support drops. He can use the pods in the rift, so he even crowded ones are easy to get to. He's great for picking up allies and hunting down important targets like bombards--so long as you have guns with enough punch to deal with the target fairly quickly. (I like S.Tigris.)

And if you build for it, Cataclysm can be a nice nuke for non-endless missions.

Lord Wexia
Sep 27, 2005

Boo zombie apocalypse.
Hooray beer!

22 Eargesplitten posted:

You can keep Steel friendly-ish while getting Loka and Perrin as long as you keep running the Red Veil missions. It will be faster if you let Steel drop by powering Perrin and Loka, but over time you can get all four to love you.

Can you elaborate? So only run red veil missions and use red veil sigil? See this is why I did veil and steel initially, haha.

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G
Get right 2 (Loka/Perrin) to max standings first, then use Red Veil sigil + missions to get Steel Meridian up. You can get left 3 + Red Veil up like this as well.

Aesis fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Sep 12, 2015

aegof
Mar 2, 2011

You have to build Steel rep (by directly gaining Veil rep) faster than you lose it by gaining rep with the other two. So probably by running Loka (-50% Steel) and Veil (+50% Steel) sigils the majority of the time, with the occasional Veil mission.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Since the market isn't regulated, what's the best course of action to get the other Frost Prime BPs that I need?

Also, some of my old BPs say that they are an Arcane variant. I assume this is just an E-peen thing since I've had them so long?

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Trade with goons. It might take a while, but you should be able to get most of them that way, at least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Inzombiac posted:

Since the market isn't regulated, what's the best course of action to get the other Frost Prime BPs that I need?

Also, some of my old BPs say that they are an Arcane variant. I assume this is just an E-peen thing since I've had them so long?

No; if you're talking about helmets, those are from when Helmets used to have innate stat boosters attached to them. When that was removed, helmets that had already been built/bought were split off into 'Arcane' hats, which still have those boosters. Normal ones you build or buy nowadays don't have any such boosters.

Speed booster hats like Arcane Rhino Vanguard hat or the one for Saryn whose name escapes me should both sell for a pretty penny.

Malachite_Dragon fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Sep 12, 2015