Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
crazysim
May 23, 2004
I AM SOOOOO GAY

Subjunctive posted:

That makes more sense to me, but if that's the case, then why would they find only dummy data if they managed to decrypt it? How does the dummy data get into place?

What dummy data? When did they mention that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May
Just finished this last night and really liked it except for the Tyrell character. Him murdering the wife just didn't sit with me.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Binary Logic posted:

/\ I don't know if it's coincidence or a deliberate choice by the show but every time I see the tilted E Corp logo I "replace" it in my mind with this other evil one:

The inversion of the angsty hacker trope is Tyrell Wellick, senior VP Technology who started out exactly where Elliot is now.

Well, there's also this. Like on the backs of everyone's computer monitors and laptops.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

crazysim posted:

What dummy data? When did they mention that?

Someone up thread said that Elliot said that even if they decrypted it they'd find dummy data:

GutBomb posted:

I'm not sure it's random data, just not the data they are expecting to retrieve. I just remember Elliot saying something like "even if they do manage to decrypt it their data is gone anyway."

I took it at face value.

CrushedWill
Sep 27, 2012

Stand it like a man... and give some back

Steve Yun posted:

Well, there's also this. Like on the backs of everyone's computer monitors and laptops.

While I initially thought of both Enron and Dell,

http://www.beutlerink.com/blog/no-logo-the-fictional-brands-of-mr-robot/

speculates that BofA's logo might be close as well.

Having said that, I'm the idiot that can't properly view stereograms so I don't really get the BofA observation, but yeah,

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Basically, all corporations are Evil.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
There's a song playing when Elliott and Tyrell have lunch at Steel Mountain that sounds a lot like a modernized version of the opening to Clockwork Orange. Is there a title for it?

n3wt
Dec 22, 2005

chaosbreather posted:

and tor is a non-starter since basically every entry and exit node is run by the feds to catch nonces.

There is someone else who knows this!
I knew that interpol would jump on that after the embassy cables leak and the guy explained how he did it but the feds are probably less looking for nonces and more for political "dissent".
It's why Edward Snowden is constantly going on about encryption, encryption, encryption despite stuff like tor seeming safe.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
I'm new to this thread so I apologize if this has been posted before. It really struck me how awesome all the opening titles are for each episode, and I guess someone else out there felt the same and cut them together.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4jr5Z7yaapo

Brock Samson
May 13, 2003

I let you know me, see me. I gave you a rare gift, but you didn't want it.

Don't make me do a third rewatch. The Cure opening with Shayla just rips my heart in two every time :cry:

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

n3wt posted:

I knew that interpol would jump on that after the embassy cables leak and the guy explained how he did it but the feds are probably less looking for nonces and more for political "dissent".
It's why Edward Snowden is constantly going on about encryption, encryption, encryption despite stuff like tor seeming safe.

i mean i'm not in the US but it seems like if the feds busted tons of paedophiles that it would have also made the news here and basically the only news about tor is the silkroad guy's court case

Noctis Horrendae
Nov 1, 2013
So is this any good? I watched 15 minutes of the first episode and gave up after they started using ~cool hacker lingo~ in every other sentence.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
I think the first episode is the only one where they have to explain things like what a rootkit or TOR is for the general audience. After that I think they casually throw around tech words assuming everyone knows what they are.

Don't get hung up on stupid poo poo like that though

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Sep 11, 2015

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

victoria concordia crescit

Noctis Horrendae posted:

So is this any good? I watched 15 minutes of the first episode and gave up after they started using ~cool hacker lingo~ in every other sentence.

Yes, and the ~cool hacker lingo~ makes the show far more true to real life than anything else portraying hackers. For most of us (even those that don't fully understand how the hacking works), that makes the show much more enthralling. There's way more to the show than hacking; the camerawork is great, the acting is often outstanding, and the soundtrack is excellent. Check it out, even if ~hacking~ isn't exactly your thing.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

And the lingo is actually legit and not "Chloe open me a socket, fast!!!"

Gorrister
May 14, 2014
Had a day off so watched this all in one go today. Show is good.

Anyone else thinks that Tyrell has the encryption key and is going to use it to become powerful?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

Brock Samson posted:

Fembot creeps my poo poo out.

Scariest person on the show. She's like an android lie detector.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Noctis Horrendae posted:

The first conversation bugged me too, don't worry you'll get past it. It seemed a little bit 'hey check us out, we know real terminology and we're gonna use it'. But the show isn't really about hacking, it's just the way of telling the story.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

The first conversation between Elliot and Tyrell is also about Tyrell trying to impress with his tech knowledge, so it's played a little thick.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

Jose posted:

i mean i'm not in the US but it seems like if the feds busted tons of paedophiles that it would have also made the news here and basically the only news about tor is the silkroad guy's court case

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Onymous

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

http://www.tripwire.com/state-of-security/latest-security-news/fbi-used-metasploit-hacking-tool-in-operation-torpedo/

tor+pedo

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret

Brock Samson posted:

Don't make me do a third rewatch. The Cure opening with Shayla just rips my heart in two every time :cry:

Honestly, probably the top two of my favourite cinematic moments, just so perfect... damnit!

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

oh yeah forgot about that one, good names

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Just caught up to page 13 of this thread. Laughing at all the people who are making loud proclamations that they were only going to give this show five episodes before deciding whether the next five seasons were going to be good or not

n3wt
Dec 22, 2005

Steve Yun posted:

Just caught up to page 13 of this thread. Laughing at all the people who are making loud proclamations that they were only going to give this show five episodes before deciding whether the next five seasons were going to be good or not

Took me five minutes to decide to watch til the end of season 1 because WTF this is just so wierd and fresh and this Rami Malek guy is nailing creepy charismatic. It just didn't look or sound or start like most TV shows so why not go along for the ride?
Once they actually used proper computer teminology and showed "screen boring" code on a screen instead of flashy bleeping 4hands1keyboard nonsense, I was hooked. Attention to detail in one area usually means they're doing their homework in others.

A lot of us are still emotionally burned out from Lost, Battlestar Galactica, Game of Thrones and their stupid need for "surprise twists". Not to mention at least a dozen excellent shows that got cancelled without closure in the past few years.
It's hard to get invested in a new show when you've acquired a taste for good TV and had the rug pulled out from under you so often.
Seriously can't blame folks for being wary: for a few years, as stuff aired on tv, I waited for end of season reviews before watching via filez.*shrug*

re: Tor nodes being watched/owned by law enforcement.
In the case of pedophiles, it's like policing drug trafficking: they don't publicize the little fish they've tracked down (often putting off an arrest unless specific threats are made against real life kids) because they want the medium fish who distribute the materials for money and the big fish torturing kids for money and fame.
Every now and then, they arrest a bunch of little fish that don't have much use and claim to have caught them via some other method as good PR.

Taunting Tor users on twitter was a dumb move, you don't tell the world if you want to use the same trap again!

n3wt fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Sep 12, 2015

violetdragon
Jul 27, 2006

RAWR

Steve Yun posted:

Almost everyone after the first guy was making fun if the first guy.

Weaponized Autism
Mar 26, 2006

All aboard the Gravy train!
Hair Elf
Rewatched the first season. After knowing the twists, decided to go back and see it all over again from a different perspective. Definitely enjoyed it more the second time around, and the interactions with Elliot and Darlene/Tyrell/fsociety/Gideon/Angela make a lot more sense.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
The scene where Elliott meets White Rose in the faraday chamber was a brilliant piece of misdirection. By putting pressure on Elliot for time, by wearing an exotic getup, by acting like Elliot is a huge disappointment, White Rose has overwhelmed and distracted both Elliot and the audience. We are all so scared about not meeting White Rose's deadline and expectations that we never consider whether White Rose was trustworthy or not.

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 09:07 on Sep 13, 2015

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Also, it seems in hindsight but the question of whether Mr. robot was real or not was a honey pot to keep us distracted while a couple other twists snuck up on us

crowoutofcontext
Nov 12, 2006

Tailored Sauce posted:

Rewatched the first season. After knowing the twists, decided to go back and see it all over again from a different perspective. Definitely enjoyed it more the second time around, and the interactions with Elliot and Darlene/Tyrell/fsociety/Gideon/Angela make a lot more sense.

I did that too. Agreed, and it also opens up some strange possibilities.

The Coney island Arcade fsociety uses to do their hacking was once owned by a man who is reported to have been killed. The screen-cap of Elliot reading the news article about the unsolved crime says the man is shot three times in the back for no particular reason. I keep thinking that the murder isn't a red-herring, and that it somehow is connected to fsociety's founding. I can see the arcade as maybe having emotional significance for Elliot and his sister, and maybe being a place that their father would spend time with them.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Jose posted:

There's been a big commotion about tor being not quite as secure as it claims to be after a couple researches wrote a paper on it. And just yesterday I read some news about the people behind tor asking researchers and internet firms to provide ideas to help improve their security.

It's not getting much mainstream attention because the big news is the migrant crisis and ISIS among other things that have been coming and going.

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back

Steve Yun posted:

The scene where Elliott meets White Rose in the faraday chamber was a brilliant piece of misdirection. By putting pressure on Elliot for time, by wearing an exotic getup, by acting like Elliot is a huge disappointment, White Rose has overwhelmed and distracted both Elliot and the audience. We are all so scared about not meeting White Rose's deadline and expectations that we never consider whether White Rose was trustworthy or not.

While true, to Elliot whether he could trust her was completely irrelevant. He was unable to accomplish his goal without her and so he had to do what she said and gamble that she'd follow through.

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

n3wt posted:

the great thing about trolling tor is it works for both taskforces

you can silence people who get morally outraged by the loss of privacy by saying, 'we're just hunting pedophiles, you aren't a pedophile are you'
and you can silence people who get politically outraged by the spending of money and resources on a service for pedophiles as 'we're just hunting traitors, you aren't a traitor are you'

its super nice

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

whowhatwhere posted:

While true, to Elliot whether he could trust her was completely irrelevant. He was unable to accomplish his goal without her and so he had to do what she said and gamble that she'd follow through.

:agreed:

Furthermore Elliott was interested in her motivations enough to ask what they were but not enough to follow through on finding them out. When she said she would help him and was out of time for further questions he accepted it and got to work holding up his end. He didn't really care about if she could be trusted in the big picture, just if she would hold up her end.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

chaosbreather posted:

the great thing about trolling tor is it works for both taskforces

you can silence people who get morally outraged by the loss of privacy by saying, 'we're just hunting pedophiles, you aren't a pedophile are you'
and you can silence people who get politically outraged by the spending of money and resources on a service for pedophiles as 'we're just hunting traitors, you aren't a traitor are you'

its super nice

"Privacy is for criminals," is depressingly effective on a lot of people, too. :smith:

n3wt
Dec 22, 2005

Accretionist posted:

"Privacy is for criminals," is depressingly effective on a lot of people, too. :smith:

I actually expected outrage after the Snowden revelations: strangers reading your emails, looking at your photos, logging your calls and your location? The public's reaction: *sad trombone* *shrug*

Maybe it's a generational thing but I know people who lived under the Soviets and the idea of Big Brother watching benevolently to catch "only the bad guys" makes them laugh so hard. There's a guy in Guanatamo who was put in there aged 14 (maybe they've released him now!), the patriot act has been so abused that it's a punchline and we get regular footage of cops misusing their power.
Oh well *shrug* "Privacy is only for people with something to hide!"

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

n3wt posted:

I actually expected outrage after the Snowden revelations: strangers reading your emails, looking at your photos, logging your calls and your location? The public's reaction: *sad trombone* *shrug*

Maybe it's a generational thing but I know people who lived under the Soviets and the idea of Big Brother watching benevolently to catch "only the bad guys" makes them laugh so hard. There's a guy in Guanatamo who was put in there aged 14 (maybe they've released him now!), the patriot act has been so abused that it's a punchline and we get regular footage of cops misusing their power.
Oh well *shrug* "Privacy is only for people with something to hide!"

Holy poo poo tell me about it. I'm reading the book Nowhere to Hide by the journalist Snowden contacted to do the publications and it makes me want to rage.

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

the thing that slays me is that losing privacy has a far greater impact on the the very legislators campaigning to lose it

if the public finds out Average Middle Manager Pete is cheating on his wife, she divorces him
if the public finds out Congressman Pete is cheating on his wife, he gets publically humilated for months and leaves public life behind forever, career destroyed

and to top that, every legislator has dirtier laundry than any private citizen, because they had to stain them to get to where they are. politics is about shaking hands with people you despise. there is no-one who has ever been elected who has been a 'good person'. good people stay away from the kinds of deals you have to make with the kinds of people who really have power, either they're too smart or too righteous. politics self-selects for secretive scumbags with closets full of skeletons - human ones if they're lucky

and still they go, 'nah the government should see everything'. the government, as in, the incompetent beaurocratic nightmare you personally struggle against every day, full of people who would almost kill to be famous? the government, as in, every single one of your enemies in a year or so? the government, as in, the vessel whose primary designed feature is no-one can control it?

its amazing, i love it

you have people down the hall resigning from wikileaks and every eigth byte online is just leaked movie stars' genitals and you say with a straight face 'people shouldn't have secrets'

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

Solkanar512 posted:

Just out of curiosity, did anyone catch the opera Wellick was listening to in his office while he was hacking?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Der_H%C3%B6lle_Rache_kocht_in_meinem_Herzen

People who watched Amadeus might remember the scene after Constanze leaves Mozart, her mother comes to lecture him and her harping on him turns into his next opera. The part you hear in Mr Robot on Tyrell's headphones is the part right before the part you hear in Amadeus (although you can also hear the part played in Amadeus when Tyrell takes off the earbuds)

In the scene from the opera, the Queen of the Night gives a knife to her daughter Pamina and tells her to kill the rival wizard Sarastro or else she'll curse her daughter.

I'm guessing that its thematic significance to the show is powerful people forcing others to do their bidding, and handing them the tools to do so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
Edit: replied to the wrong thread.

• Locked thread