Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

Evil Fluffy posted:

They'd have to completely redo how Savage stuff works (and most want it for the challenge, not to be some spergy story nerd to lord over the plebs) since running A1S with full Law gear would make DPS checks significantly harder to meet. You'd potentially have another 1-2% HP on the Oppressor when the split happens and an extra 1-2% hp means those groups who got clears with seconds to spare now wipe to the enrage.

This wouldn't be particularly impossible to do in a new tier by making it so that the story mode gear isn't what the early floors are tuned for, but I'd rather seem them solve like, actual problems.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

KaneTW posted:

Compare T1-5 to Alex, not T1-13.

allagan fake moon with self-defense mechanisms running around and a big bad dragon at the end AND SUDDENLY BAHAMUT

This i'll give you. The drop at the post-t5 cutscene was way bigger than the "reveal" after A4. Alexander's first arc is fundamentally complete, but lacks the narrative push that Louisoix's reveal did.

even if I had no idea what the big deal was and had to go look it up

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I've pretty much shut down until the next patch. I'm capping gathering scrips because I gotta be ready for the next <Of Dragon's Deep> when it comes out in 3.2, but this patch cycle has dragged on for too long. I'd probably be a little less jaded if it weren't for the fact that Ultros has almost zero raiding talent, and I can't join you guys on Excalibur because my girlfriend is there.

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

Niton posted:

This i'll give you. The drop at the post-t5 cutscene was way bigger than the "reveal" after A4. Alexander's first arc is fundamentally complete, but lacks the narrative push that Louisoix's reveal did.

The problem with comparing T1-5 and A1-4 is that T1-5 was basically built up by the entire game getting cratered and remade and didn't have to set up any additional mythos to be intriguing. Alexander is a new threat that kind of came out of nowhere and the storyline is tasked with both making that actually seem threatening and compelling you to care about it. As such, I think the narrative arc they have planned is going to build up to the final floors with A1-4 kind of establishing everything and 5-12 continuing to escalate.

I don't know that they really could have done it any better as launching ARR is a pretty tough act to follow, and overall Heavensward really does deliver in the "moving the story past The Calamity" department. Also Alexander is based off of Brayflox's storyline basically which is really one of the best in the game.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

..got any kibble?

Boten Anna posted:

The problem with comparing T1-5 and A1-4 is that T1-5 was basically built up by the entire game getting cratered and remade and didn't have to set up any additional mythos to be intriguing. Alexander is a new threat that kind of came out of nowhere and the storyline is tasked with both making that actually seem threatening and compelling you to care about it. As such, I think the narrative arc they have planned is going to build up to the final floors with A1-4 kind of establishing everything and 5-12 continuing to escalate.

I don't know that they really could have done it any better as launching ARR is a pretty tough act to follow, and overall Heavensward really does deliver in the "moving the story past The Calamity" department. Also Alexander is based off of Brayflox's storyline basically which is really one of the best in the game.

I think they should have had more exposition on the Goblins in Idyllshire; since they're apparently very rare/special in doing what they do, and to introduce the Enigma Codex in some meaningful way. The lack of a pre-raid quest hook hurts its attempts to establish itself, especially since the goblins outside are a central part of the story.

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

I don't recall needing sidequests to understand Coil, but if you don't do Hinterlands quests you know basically nothing about the Illuminati.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

nuru posted:

I don't recall needing sidequests to understand Coil, but if you don't do Hinterlands quests you know basically nothing about the Illuminati.

Not so much, but some of the Nael/Dalamud stuff would be lost on the player if they didn't play 1.x or look up spoilers related to it. Those things are mentioned in the 2.0 storyline and some sidequests, but not in much detail.

Xenoveritas
May 9, 2010
Dinosaur Gum

Niton posted:

I think they should have had more exposition on the Goblins in Idyllshire; since they're apparently very rare/special in doing what they do, and to introduce the Enigma Codex in some meaningful way. The lack of a pre-raid quest hook hurts its attempts to establish itself, especially since the goblins outside are a central part of the story.

At the PAX panel, Koji Fox mentioned that when they realized the goblins were going to have a large role in the Alexander story, they needed to come up with a way to make them more understandable compared to their 1.0 versions. The explanation they came up with was that the goblins were in Sharlayan ruins and started reading proper Eorzean and learned to speak more clearly, allowing them to make the Sharlayan goblins easier to understand. (Personally I didn't really notice that much of a difference, but I guess they use less goblin compound words or something.)

Some day I still want to do Coil and see the cutscenes people are talking about, but since there's no reason to run it any more, I've basically given up on ever doing it. I've still never seen past the first phase of T5.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Niton posted:

Alexander is also outside the central story. People seem to be forgetting that. It's entirely optional and just like Coil (and CT) it likely won't get much, if any, mention in the MSQ.

I didn't play 1.x so stuff like Nael didn't have much meaning to me whereas it apparently meant a lot more to people who suffered through the original launch.

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

A notable difference is the Goblins in Dravanian Hinterlands are far less goddamn pathetic compared to the GoblinsKobolds in Outer La Noscea.

nuru fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Sep 11, 2015

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
T1 to T5 was also visually more interesting than A1 to A4. T1 is huge and looks really cool compares to any of the Alex floors. The end patch fatigue is really starting to set in though, I feel. Hopefully 3.1 brings in reasons to log into the game aside from Eso farming and raid night.

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

I would cry but I don't think I can spare the moisture.
Pillbug

Eej posted:

T1 to T5 was also visually more interesting than A1 to A4. T1 is huge and looks really cool compares to any of the Alex floors. The end patch fatigue is really starting to set in though, I feel. Hopefully 3.1 brings in reasons to log into the game aside from Eso farming and raid night.

Won't 3.1 include minion battles? That alone seems like reason enough. Gotta catch 'em all.

Aqua_D
Feb 12, 2011

Sometimes, a man just needs to get his Rock off.

nuru posted:

A notable difference is the Goblins in Dravanian Hinterlands are far less so goddamn pathetic compared to the Goblins in Outer La Noscea.

Excuse me, sir. Those are moblins kobold.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Alexander's music makes up for the visuals :sax:

Rei_
May 16, 2004

The difference between confinement and rest is a shift in perspective

Metal is pretty loving rad but I will always really like Calamity Unbound and I listened to that thing nightly for hours at a time at one point

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005
Look up Coil of Bahamut lore on YouTube, there's a fantastic recap video.

I cleared turn 5 before Heavensward came out! :unsmith:

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
good news friends i bought a lot of whiskey now i can drink yay

i have a 52 warrior and a 24 ACN, my goal is both a 60 war and a 60 smn

make me a drinking game that will help me level but won't kill me

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

..got any kibble?

Rei_ posted:

Metal is pretty loving rad but I will always really like Calamity Unbound and I listened to that thing nightly for hours at a time at one point

The unfortunate reality of Calamity Unbound, good as it is, is that it replaces what might be 2.0's best track: Spiral

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Td8Xz9mnYyw

Fuckin' love me some Spiral.

Smart Car
Mar 31, 2011

Yeah since I like the music at least somewhat fitting the setting but Calamity Unbound was driving me insane I instead listened to Spiral and Primal Timbre since they're a bit easier listening.

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

Calamity Unbound just gives me T7 flashbacks. I can hear the shriek sound in my head.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time

Thumbtacks posted:

Drink every time you think "this would be so much better with the post-50 summoner abilities." Take a drink of water every time you miss carbuncle. :cry:

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Thumbtacks posted:

Pour a drink, run a dungeon.

They take 45-60 minutes, that gives your body time.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

..got any kibble?
Actually, while we're on music chat, large-group PvP has the epitome of every crazy guitar solo Soken wants to put in storyline music (and is fantastically atmospheric for what you're doing, to boot)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0sHf9qq82eU

Zaekkor
May 12, 2010

Oh, let's break it down!

bonds0097 posted:

Won't 3.1 include minion battles? That alone seems like reason enough. Gotta catch 'em all.

Oh god I hope they don't do what WoW did and make this Pay to Win. :(

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.

hobbesmaster posted:

They should be different because the bard is exaggerating greatly.

I'd be cool with Savage being like, a comedy reel where the story is blatantly ridiculous and goofy thanks to the bard exaggerating everything.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Obscurity posted:

The only ways I can see to avoid it would be to disqualify purchasable minions from fighting, put them in their own segregated bracket, or make them garbage tier. Or just set up the reward system in such a way that nobody cares outside a small core of enthusiasts, and then minion battles turn into a revisit of chocobo racing. Poor mini-Yda just wants to punch some fools.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Obscurity posted:

If fat cat isn't god tier I will quit the game.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

hobbesmaster posted:

God tier in the Street Fighter Dan way perhaps. I mean, it's a fat cat why in the world would it fight in the first place?

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

opo-opo haz gud fite.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

hobbesmaster posted:

You say that as though plush cushion isn't clearly going to be the king of fighters.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!

Thumbtacks posted:

Bad choice, you should have gone for Kraken and run Sash hard and Hullbreaker over and over again

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
i'm bored of combat classes

are there any crafting classes that are fun/will eventually turn a profit/won't completely bankrupt me instantly?

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Thumbtacks posted:

i'm bored of combat classes

are there any crafting classes that are fun
yes

quote:

will eventually turn a profit
define "eventually"

quote:

won't completely bankrupt me instantly?
no

sword_man.gif
Apr 12, 2007

Fun Shoe
every crafting class is in practice pretty much the same/i guess if you're dedicated enough to this eventually but as a hobby, no/how dedicated are you to gathering your own poo poo and placing a value on your own time (the answer is "no" crafting is a black hole of money)

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013

cheetah7071 posted:

yes

define "eventually"

no

i don't even know how crafting classes work, do they have like rotations or something

sword_man.gif
Apr 12, 2007

Fun Shoe
basically, and every crafting class winds up using the same abilities because you cross class the good poo poo

you'll use the same rotation to make an axe that you use to make pants that you use to make a salad

i guess this might change at the high end with specialization but oh crackers that is a game i'm not loving getting into so i don't know poo poo about it

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
can i make the axe out of salads

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Theres a little bit of money to be made in levels 20-40 gear. Raw mats will often be like 2k and hq will got for up to 25k.

sword_man.gif
Apr 12, 2007

Fun Shoe
yeah but at that point you might as well just level a gatherer and sell raw materials :shrug:

it's not like this is a game where you need mondo cash to handle day to day expenses anyways, the only reason to have a lot of money is if you really really want your own house with the stipulation of finding a plot, and for rare furniture for said building

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

Drink every time you think "this would be so much better with the post-50 summoner abilities." Take a drink of water every time you miss carbuncle. :cry:

Drinking that much water can and will kill a person, though.

• Locked thread