Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

Uncle Wemus posted:

Trumps going to win isn't he

He's going somewhere

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Stepan Andreyevich Bandera being the most prominent example of that

Sheng-ji Yang posted:

which has been done without a single debate, while there had been 10 democratic debates at this point in 2007

I get that mate but it's still weird to be that smooth. Do you have a source?

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

Pavlov posted:

from the dude who makes it:

quote:

Poll numbers are taken from the Huffington Post Pollster API, graph is done in R and the interactive (daily updated) version is hosted on https://www.intuitics.com/app/#app/1052/run/public[1]

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

A Shameful Path Led You Here

Pavlov posted:

How are they getting those popularity numbers? The '16 ones look way too regular.

I get the feeling that polling is all completely made up and runs off of how much a cow in Iowa farts when the name Hilary Clinton or Bernie Sanders is said to it.

Something Else
Dec 27, 2004

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Pavlov posted:

How are they getting those popularity numbers? The '16 ones look way too regular.

Relatively few polls prior to Spring 2016.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Sheng-ji Yang posted:

Bernie is polling better nationally than Obama was at this same period of the 2008 election.

Like i understand you like Sanders but comparing him to Obama is . . . optimistic.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

Pavlov posted:

very few data points until the run up, just drawing linear connections between the ones there.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

Pavlov posted:

They are too smooth, and the start points in June 2014 are too high for Hillary and too low for Bernie:

http://www.quinnipiac.edu/news-and-events/quinnipiac-university-poll/national/release-detail?ReleaseID=2058
http://polls.saintleo.edu/wp-content/uploads/2014/06/National-Survey-Toplines-Questions-1-24.pdf
http://www.washingtonpost.com/page/...EeOKiuF8CPgIcQ/

The endpoints are reasonable though.

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

euphronius posted:

Like i understand you like Sanders but comparing him to Obama is . . . optimistic.

thinking hillary clinton is gonna win a democratic primary when shes loving horrible at campaigning is p. optimistic as well

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Not this again.

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

euphronius posted:

lol

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

TEAYCHES posted:

thinking hillary clinton is gonna win a democratic primary when shes loving horrible at campaigning is p. optimistic as well

What. What?

What criteria of campaigning are you using.

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

When is there going to be a Democrat debate

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

hes doing better than obama was at this same point in the election against the same opponent, but hm, lets not be too hasty and compare them - The Very Serious People

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

euphronius posted:

What. What?

people dont like her, she comes across as tone deaf in both the macro campaign (she just now apologized for the email thing lmao) and micro (good example of where she gave a stump speech to a bunch of college kids and bombed) also shes a horrific fake and i cant wait to see her fail at securing the nomination a second time in a row

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Ok so the '16 data is being pulled from here:

Which seems to check out. I think it just looked weird because the '16 data is using a different kind of smoothing than the '08 data, which I can't find the source of.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

TEAYCHES posted:

people dont like her, she comes across as tone deaf in both the macro campaign (she just now apologized for the email thing lmao) and micro (good example of where she gave a stump speech to a bunch of college kids and bombed) also shes a horrific fake and i cant wait to see her fail at securing the nomination a second time in a row

With all due respect, I have no idea what you are talking about.

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

Sheng-ji Yang posted:

hes doing better than obama was at this same point in the election against the same opponent, but hm, lets not be too hasty - The Very Serious People

he's doing better in one specific metric, and much much worse in a number of others

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

euphronius posted:

With all due respect, I have no idea what you are talking about.

you mean the time she lost the primary in '08?? was a p. big deal but you are a d&d person so i can understand if this isnt pedantic enough of a point about how garbage clinton is as a candidate

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

TEAYCHES posted:

you mean the time she lost the primary in '08?? was a p. big deal but you are a d&d person so i can understand if this isnt a pedantic enough of a point about how garbage clinton is as a candidate

She lost to Obama who is a better politician. Sanders is no Obama.

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

euphronius posted:

so why exactly is she already losing to sanders in iowa and new hampshire at an even earlier stage

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

TEAYCHES posted:

so why exactly is she already losing to sanders in iowa and new hampshire at an even earlier stage

awesmoe posted:

he's doing better in one specific metric, and much much worse in a number of others

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

euphronius posted:

sanders has managed to build up more popular support than obama had at this point in the election, without the benefit of free publicity from the debates. But He's Not Obama

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

also we should take this to the hillary vs sanders quarantine thread

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Sheng-ji Yang posted:

sanders has managed to build up more popular support than obama had at this point in the election, without the benefit of free publicity from the debates. But He's Not Obama

Yes. Hes not Obama because he has no chance of ever winning the general election.

Compared to a black man named Barack Hussein Obama.

sexy fucking muskrat
Aug 22, 2010

by exmarx

TEAYCHES posted:

Sanders only leads her in Iowa in a single poll, and only by 1%, on average she's still up 11 points, try harder

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Mr Jaunts posted:

Sanders only leads her in Iowa in a single poll, and only by 1%, on average she's still up 11 points, try harder

A poll where Biden gets 12%

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

Mr Jaunts posted:

once the upwards trend stops call me back, so far the data showing clinton falling and sanders gaining momentum is national

NotJesus
Jan 17, 2007

Sheng-ji Yang posted:

hes doing better than obama was at this same point in the election against the same opponent, but hm, lets not be too hasty and compare them - The Very Serious People
It's funny that when people say that Trump might win the nomination, other people trot out these poll graphs from 2012 that show the Not-Romneys crashing one after another.
As if it was a proof that Trump was going to follow the exact same trend.

But when you show a poll graph from 2008 it does NOT mean Bernie Sanders is going to follow the same trend.
It's completely different.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Bernmentum.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I am sorry for asking a bernie vs hillary question thread I should have known better.

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

When a true genius appears in the world, you may know him by this sign, that the Very Serious are all in confederacy against him.

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

euphronius posted:

Bernmentum.

could you take this to the quarantine thread so i can ask you why you support an uncharismatic war criminal who helped gently caress up libya horribly as secretary of state

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

"suck on this" -thomas friedman

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Sheng-ji Yang posted:

When a true genius appears in the world, you may know him by this sign, that the Very Serious are all in confederacy against him.

hahahaha. Good point.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

TEAYCHES posted:

could you take this to the quarantine thread so i can ask you why you support an uncharismatic war criminal who helped gently caress up libya horribly as secretary of state

I dont even like HRC, freund.

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

euphronius posted:

I dont even like HRC, freund.

ok you are just very serious and realistic, pragmatic d&d goon. got it

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

Will the news ever cover bernie?

Bob Ojeda
Apr 15, 2008

I AM A WHINY LITTLE EMOTIONAL BITCH BABY WITH NO SENSE OF HUMOR

IF YOU SEE ME POSTING REMIND ME TO SHUT THE FUCK UP

Mr Jaunts posted:

But you see, Sanders is leading in New Hampshire, and therefore is also leading in Iowa

It's science fact

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Can we just have a rule that you can't talk about who's going to win the Democratic nom in this thread?

• Locked thread