Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

In Training posted:

I believe it could have been anything, really. Like, if Kyon got up and yelled at her "Excuse me, I need to use the toilet, and its going to take all day", that would have worked too.

Really? You think it literally didn't matter what Kyon said, so long as he said something - even if that something was meaningless. Care to elaborate?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005
Okay, my final thought on this: it was a lot better the second time through, and I give the studio a TON of credit for the audacity of doing what they did here by risking the entire fanbase of a big moneymaker of a show, but I still think 4-5 episodes would've been better.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Spiritus Nox posted:

Really? You think it literally didn't matter what Kyon said, so long as he said something - even if that something was meaningless. Care to elaborate?

I think Haruhi wanted anything to fill the volume of that last day, thats it. The subject was "Kyon's homework", but all she did was play tetris with his sister, and she finished her homework months ago.

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

http://gfycat.com/WeeklyHonestDunnart

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Haruhi wanted to spend more time with her friends, without really coming out and saying it, because thats just how she is. She never expected them to actually finish her summer list, which is why she kept asking for more suggestions.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Heres my writing, btw. You anime freaks will like the latest entry, and this extremely good gif I made :D Enjoy

http://lastmovieisaw.tumblr.com/

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

I'm glad that it didn't end with a date or a kiss or confession. This ending is flexible enough to allow for all sorts of heartwarming interpretations.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

In Training posted:

Haruhi wanted to spend more time with her friends, without really coming out and saying it, because thats just how she is. She never expected them to actually finish her summer list, which is why she kept asking for more suggestions.

Okay, so basically like we thought. Makes sense, especially given the 'vague genie'-ness of her powers as they've been established. She thinks "man I'd like to keep hanging out with these guys instead of going back to school, and the universe gets kind of stupid about how it goes about making that happen.

VostokProgram posted:

I'm glad that it didn't end with a date or a kiss or confession. This ending is flexible enough to allow for all sorts of heartwarming interpretations.

Yeah. It was still heartwarming, but without being too cliche.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else

Oh my god yes. I have seen the light... erm... butt.

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

VostokProgram posted:

It ended with a royal flush :D

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Agronox posted:

Theory: It didn't have to be homework, Haruhi just wanted someone to be enthusiastic about what they were doing and willing to take on a little leadership (possible foreshadowing when she's willing to give up being chief for a day during the cicada grab).

Thoughts? I don't know, maybe it gets into it more in the LN but if it had to be homework, geez.

I want to say it was just because homework is a mundane activity that she had not even considered it as something that could be done with friends. Instead, she focused on trying to do all the well-known summer memories but was probably left feeling hollow and discontent as a result.

There's an interesting mirror between Haruhi and Kyon's character development that I've wanted to mention. With Haruhi, it's a movement towards accepting and embracing the mundane, for all its little joys and accomplishments, which ultimately caps off with Live Alive. Kyon heads in the complete opposite direction as fantastic events keep happening to him even though he supposedly wants a normal life.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Ok real talk, I need a break from posting. I need food and a piss break.

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

it's funny how my 3 favorite scenes in this series are all mostly kyon monologues

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

In Training posted:

Heres my writing, btw. You anime freaks will like the latest entry, and this extremely good gif I made :D Enjoy

if we ever get to chungking express in the asian film thread i will post my senior thesis and the storyboards i had to make

they are probably horrible

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
p78

ChubbyThePhat posted:

I feel so good after watching that again. I'm so pumped up for some reason.

In Training posted:

Its also worth reading that thread because in 2009 it was still an enormous pain in the rear end waiting for fansubs, or raws, and there was like a 3 day trickle on every release of people spreading disinformation when watching untranslated raws.

Unusual posted:

Well I really enjoyed that a lot more in one sitting and slightly drunk, It really makes me disappointed in all of the trash Kyo Ani has put out after Haruhi S1, They nail so many moments in either season of Haruhi and then put out so much bland generic schlock year after year.

VostokProgram posted:

In Training, thank you for setting this up, its been a blast. Looking forward to the rest of the show.

Dezinus posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D_8LIQwZKQQ
The only fan video I saved from the old days, enjoy.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

We all get to freak out all over again while watching Disappearance.

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

i hope zas and the other person get power soon lol

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Also "food" turned into bringing back a tub of ice cream. So that's a thing.

Radio Spiricom
Aug 17, 2009

Zas posted:

no problem but I am curious what 'implicates the viewer' means in a film studies context. I mean I should know, my favorite director is hitchcock....

ok i've had like 8 vodka sodas and i'm basically a layman when it comes to this sort of thing but it implicates the viewer twice over.

in the same way that vertigo and rear window both attempt to make the observer into a director and a voyeur respectively endless eight essentially renders the viewer into to the role of the most passive observer possible in the show which is yuki. the viewer who commits to watching endless eight in its entirety is stripped of all their agency and short of not watching there is nothing they can do to free themselves from it. the viewer has to endure the same thing over and over in different iterations just like the characters and essentially become complicit in perpetuating the cycle of time repeating itself by continuing to watch episode after episode. most of these points are made explicity in koizumi's monologue in each episode but another interesting aspect to me about it is that the only people that are privy to the fact that time is repeating itself are the sos brigade members because they are the people who know haruhi the best, sort of acting as a cipher for the viewers again.

further, as both me and in training addressed earlier, the show is essentially about using the most stereotypical and empty anime tropes in an effort to lay bare just how empty and pointless anime as a whole is. endless eight does this by giving the viewer eight episodes of the same thing. in a way its similar to the way that evangelion self destructs the longer that the show continues--its constantly pulling the rug out from under the viewers feet and playing on the viewers expectations of how anime is supposed to function. these shows both take fanservice-y elements and turn them to the breaking point essentially saying to the viewer "this is what you want, but what you want is garbage." the reason that most people come to watch anime is for relaxation or escape from reality. for comfort. but something like endless eight provides the viewer with this initially and then destabilizes it by providing it over and over. its sort of beckettian in a way. when things get too real or realistic they become absurd. and further, the escape from reality that endless eight provides is nothing more but the ultimate reality (a cliche checklist of summer fun, what could be more boring?) lots of "boring" shows do this of course but none to the extent that haruhi does with endless eight.

earlier in the thread i tried to connect the first season to the films of tsai ming-liang with this quote

quote:

I want to express the failure of erotic desire to be realized in contemporary urban space. I would like to make my films about disappearing, like The Skywalk is Gone [2002] and Goodbye Dragon Inn. The whole theatre is disappearing in that film! This subject is important to me because society changes so fast and everything disappears so fast - historical sites, culture. One day I walked to the area where Lee Kang-Sheng was selling watches [in What Time is it There?], and I realized that ‘the skywalk is gone.’ It happens in Asia like that, things just disappear. People in their forties have no way of finding traces of their childhood. Modern people are afraid of disappearance. Living in Taipei, for example, we constantly have to deal with compelling visual change. We ask the question: what do you love the most? Who do you love the most? You will lose them - it will happen in modern society. My films ask the question: how we can face the disappearance? The loss?

which i think rings true about haruhi in the gestalt (both seasons of the show + disappearance) but here is another quote that i think rings particularly true about endless eight

quote:

We often conceive of cinema as a comfortable shelter protecting us from reality. However, the cinema that moves me is the one which aims at revealing the truth of the real…I want my cinema to be cruel, even though no matter how cruel my cinema is, it will never be crueler than reality

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

ChubbyThePhat posted:

We all get to freak out all over again while watching Disappearance.

Life is best when you freak out with Internet friends

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

Allarion posted:

There's an interesting mirror between Haruhi and Kyon's character development that I've wanted to mention. With Haruhi, it's a movement towards accepting and embracing the mundane, for all its little joys and accomplishments, which ultimately caps off with Live Alive. Kyon heads in the complete opposite direction as fantastic events keep happening to him even though he supposedly wants a normal life.

That's a really good point.

Anyway, this was an interesting way to spend a Friday evening. Unusual but fun.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

Radio Spiricom posted:

ok i've had like 8 vodka sodas and i'm basically a layman when it comes to this sort of thing but it implicates the viewer twice over.

in the same way that vertigo and rear window both attempt to make the observer into a director and a voyeur respectively endless eight essentially renders the viewer into to the role of the most passive observer possible in the show which is yuki. the viewer who commits to watching endless eight in its entirety is stripped of all their agency and short of not watching there is nothing they can do to free themselves from it. the viewer has to endure the same thing over and over in different iterations just like the characters and essentially become complicit in perpetuating the cycle of time repeating itself by continuing to watch episode after episode. most of these points are made explicity in koizumi's monologue in each episode but another interesting aspect to me about it is that the only people that are privy to the fact that time is repeating itself are the sos brigade members because they are the people who know haruhi the best, sort of acting as a cipher for the viewers again.

further, as both me and in training addressed earlier, the show is essentially about using the most stereotypical and empty anime tropes in an effort to lay bare just how empty and pointless anime as a whole is. endless eight does this by giving the viewer eight episodes of the same thing. in a way its similar to the way that evangelion self destructs the longer that the show continues--its constantly pulling the rug out from under the viewers feet and playing on the viewers expectations of how anime is supposed to function. these shows both take fanservice-y elements and turn them to the breaking point essentially saying to the viewer "this is what you want, but what you want is garbage." the reason that most people come to watch anime is for relaxation or escape from reality. for comfort. but something like endless eight provides the viewer with this initially and then destabilizes it by providing it over and over. its sort of beckettian in a way. when things get too real or realistic they become absurd. and further, the escape from reality that endless eight provides is nothing more but the ultimate reality (a cliche checklist of summer fun, what could be more boring?) lots of "boring" shows do this of course but none to the extent that haruhi does with endless eight.

earlier in the thread i tried to connect the first season to the films of tsai ming-liang with this quote

which i think rings true about haruhi in the gestalt (both seasons of the show + disappearance) but here is another quote that i think rings particularly true about endless eight

Thank you. If you had to suggest one film that I watch - while sober (which I am not right now) - what would it be?

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Agronox posted:

That's a really good point.

Anyway, this was an interesting way to spend a Friday evening. Unusual but fun.

Been fun. Godspeed to you, you wonderful person.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
This really was an amazing way to spend an evening. In some ways, e8 was best (and uniquely) experienced one week at a time, as it aired, but in others, I appreciated much more this time 'round, not entirely sober. If memory allows, I may have more to say in re: E8, when I have opportunity.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
Also I will make a good sig badge gif if no-one else has by the time I have opportunity.

Radio Spiricom
Aug 17, 2009

Yes_Cantaloupe posted:

Thank you. If you had to suggest one film that I watch - while sober (which I am not right now) - what would it be?

the mirror, directed by andrei tarkovsky

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

Yes_Cantaloupe posted:

Also I will make a good sig badge gif if no-one else has by the time I have opportunity.

please

Radio Spiricom
Aug 17, 2009

unless you meant a tsai ming-liang movie in which case you should watch what time is it there

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Linnaeus posted:

i hope zas and the other person get power soon lol

Other person is me, unless there was a third

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Yeah, this whole simulwatch has been a lot of fun, and tonight in particular. You're ok, goons.

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

VostokProgram posted:

Other person is me, unless there was a third

sorry, it's hard to remember people without an avatar

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

Radio Spiricom posted:

the mirror, directed by andrei tarkovsky

Thank you. I have made its title/author an extensionless file on my desktop, with other things I should watch.

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

do you have an entire screen of those now?

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

It'll be a good 24 hours, as I'm driving out of town to see Love Live! The School Idol Movie tomorrow, but I will do my best if the need has not been addressed.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Putting files on your desktop is gross

Radio Spiricom
Aug 17, 2009

Parallax posted:

if we ever get to chungking express in the asian film thread i will post my senior thesis and the storyboards i had to make

they are probably horrible

i want to read this

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

Linnaeus posted:

It's getting a bit ridicultous.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

Linnaeus posted:

VostokProgram posted:

Putting files on your desktop is gross

They judge me.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

Agronox posted:

Okay, my final thought on this: it was a lot better the second time through, and I give the studio a TON of credit for the audacity of doing what they did here by risking the entire fanbase of a big moneymaker of a show, but I still think 4-5 episodes would've been better.

In Training posted:

In Training posted:

Gotta rewatch this soon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

Radio Spiricom posted:

unless you meant a tsai ming-liang movie in which case you should watch what time is it there

i need to watch more of his stuff, all i've seen is the hole, dragon inn, and those monk movies

• Locked thread