Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Handiklap
Aug 14, 2004

Mmmm no.

Finally, something of my own that deserves to be Mari'd. Thanks, forelle!

Handiklap fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Sep 8, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

the mirror would do well to reflect further

Another day. Another scan.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Looks better with more polys IMO

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

Doesn't it always?

:agesilaus:

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan
I know the OP is full of resources but it hasn't been updated in 7 years and I wanna make sure I'm on the right track.

Now that winter is coming I'm gonna be holed up a bit more and I'd like to get back into 3DCG poo poo. I've done a bunch in the past but I'm all self taught from tutorials and poo poo and I'd like to get into a more streamlined learning track. Is there somewhere where I can do more course-oriented poo poo to go from basics onwards? I don't mind paying a bit for the course or a real good book if that's how it is, I just want something I can do chapter by chapter with nice assignments so I don't fiddle around making nothing for hours. I got pretty alright at it a few years ago but it's been forever and now I've forgotten a bunch of poo poo. I'd like to focus on 3DS Max and Mental Ray if possible but I can do V-Ray if it's required. I'd like to do some ArchViz work cause I always found it fun.

Here's a thing I modeled and rendered like 4 years ago (lol)

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
Evermotions arch viz training dvd's are on point, you only need them. They're max and vray. They're really good and will teach you everything technical you need - whenever we get someone start who's weak in an area I nearly always point them to a chapter on those and they're immediately up to speed.

Outside of those, study architecture, study photographers.
Your old render is good - it won't take you long to get back in the swing. Keep us updated, post with questions :)

cubicle gangster fucked around with this message at 06:52 on Sep 10, 2015

Handiklap
Aug 14, 2004

Mmmm no.

sigma 6 posted:

Another day. Another scan.

Is there a lot of manual loop definition that's going on between capture and quads, or is that more-or-less fully auto? I'm having trouble deciding which would be more impressive. :D

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

It is just scan data directly to zremesher. I mainly do this so I can unwrap it easier using UVmaster. Now that I think of it, I can get the polycount even lower by decimating it down to the polycount I want, then unwrapping it, and then transferring the texture using projection. However, I prefer nice quads and I believe the texture projection will work better when the topology is nicer. Also UVmaster probably prefer quads to a decimated mesh as well. I typically only decimate if polycount is a huge issue. As it can be with 3d printing.

I could add zremesher guides, but if I know animatable topology isn't an issue, I don't bother.

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

cubicle gangster posted:

Evermotions arch viz training dvd's are on point, you only need them. They're max and vray. They're really good and will teach you everything technical you need - whenever we get someone start who's weak in an area I nearly always point them to a chapter on those and they're immediately up to speed.

Outside of those, study architecture, study photographers.
Your old render is good - it won't take you long to get back in the swing. Keep us updated, post with questions :)

Thanks! Next paycheque I'll grab those DVDs :)

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

Coffees for closers... er... those of you ready to render.

Handiklap
Aug 14, 2004

Mmmm no.
Coffee is for Catmulls only.

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan
:lol:

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

Heheh... I don't know. Ed's got some legal problems these days.

Handiklap posted:

Coffee is for Catmulls only.

"Get mad. You sons of bitches. Get mad. You know what it takes to make 3d? It takes brass balls to make 3d. Go and do likewise, gents. The money’s out there, you pick it up, it’s yours. You don’t, I have no sympathy for you. "

sigma 6 fucked around with this message at 08:50 on Sep 12, 2015

Handiklap
Aug 14, 2004

Mmmm no.

sigma 6 posted:

Heheh... I don't know. Ed's got some legal problems these days.

"Get mad. You sons of bitches. Get mad. You know what it takes to make 3d? It takes brass balls to make 3d. Go and do likewise, gents. The money’s out there, you pick it up, it’s yours. You don’t, I have no sympathy for you. "

Topical: "Because only one thing counts in this life: Get them to sign on the line which is dotted."

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things
Coffee is for wage fixers.

Handiklap
Aug 14, 2004

Mmmm no.
Well yeah otherwise those poors are going to get into the executive break room eventually and drink all the coffee and there will be none left for Catmulls DUH

<- STOP DISCOURAGING MY REPLIES DAN!

Handiklap fucked around with this message at 14:33 on Sep 13, 2015

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.
I don't get it.

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

Edumacate yourself.

Glengarry Glen Ross was one of the best things Mamet ever did.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q4PE2hSqVnk

Also... this...
https://variety.com/2015/biz/news/walt-disney-co-dreamworks-animation-wage-fixing-1201576005/

sigma 6 fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Sep 14, 2015

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Had to crash course myself in Fracture FX for a shot coming up (and they had a 50% off sale). I have to say it's pretty awesome. I mean it'll never match something close to Houdini for sure, but to get in and do some quick *controllable* demolition it's very easy. They use the term "art directable" and I'd have to say that's pretty accurate.

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.

sigma 6 posted:

Edumacate yourself.

Glengarry Glen Ross was one of the best things Mamet ever did.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q4PE2hSqVnk

Also... this...
https://variety.com/2015/biz/news/walt-disney-co-dreamworks-animation-wage-fixing-1201576005/

Yeah I could make the link with the two, I just don't understand the link between Ed Catmull and coffee.

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

Watch the scene. Or better yet. watch the movie.

keyframe posted:

Coffee is for wage fixers.

Handiklap posted:

"Because only one thing counts in this life: Get them to sign on the line which is dotted."

Basically the entertainment industry, like most industry, is ruthless.

Here is a less than successful scan, but possibly a good chance to practice anatomy on a classic. 52 pics at the Rodin museum. I didn't even attempt scanning a bronze cast. Too dark and shiny.

sigma 6 fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Sep 14, 2015

Canned Bovines
Jan 15, 2008

Does anyone know of a good way to transfer vertex colors from one mesh to another? The results from Maya's transfer attributes command tend to be splotchy and slightly off, which is causing problems.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Bake to texture then transfer back?

ceebee
Feb 12, 2004
xNormal and Substance Painter can bake vertex colors. I believe Knald can too now.

My go-to is xNormal.

Canned Bovines
Jan 15, 2008

I'll give those programs a shot, thanks.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

xNormal's like "gently caress you I do all baking tasks the best and I'm free look at my ugly turn of the century interface."

ceebee
Feb 12, 2004
Yeah xNormal is a loving bastard of lovely UI interaction.

But if you pair it up with a batch baker that some random guy made, it becomes really valuable. Suddenly you don't need to worry about exploding meshes.

Game art is really loving stupid with how many pieces of software you should learn to be efficient with. Most of your time should be spend modeling honestly.

concerned mom
Apr 22, 2003

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer

ceebee posted:

Yeah xNormal is a loving bastard of lovely UI interaction.

But if you pair it up with a batch baker that some random guy made, it becomes really valuable. Suddenly you don't need to worry about exploding meshes.

Game art is really loving stupid with how many pieces of software you should learn to be efficient with. Most of your time should be spend modeling honestly.

Do you have a link to batch baker? I hate exploding meshes. Google is giving me recipes for making bread rolls.

SebastianK
Dec 4, 2011

Congratulations
Yeah would love a link to that as well.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Of course most V-Ray material sites out there use .mat files and Maya's V-Ray doesn't accept those. Ugh.

You can convert with Max (export to .vrscene) but I don't have Max. Anybody out there wanna do me a solid and convert some VRay materials for me?

Handiklap
Aug 14, 2004

Mmmm no.

BonoMan posted:

Of course most V-Ray material sites out there use .mat files and Maya's V-Ray doesn't accept those. Ugh.

You can convert with Max (export to .vrscene) but I don't have Max. Anybody out there wanna do me a solid and convert some VRay materials for me?

sent you a pm

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Handiklap posted:

sent you a pm

Replied, thanks!

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only

What ever happened to that case? did it actually get thrown out?

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

At first it was thrown out because of statutes of limitation, but they they proved that this behavior had also happened recently so now it's in court again and the judge won't bow to the studios demands to dismiss it. So we'll see how it goes.

In other 3DCG news, Technicolor just bought The Mill, a big advertising VFX firm.
http://www.technicolor.com/en/who-we-are/press-news-center/press-releases/technicolor-acquires-visual-effects-leader-in-advertising-the-mill

I kinda wonder why companies like Prime Focus and Technicolor spend so much acquiring VFX studios when these studios don't even own their own content and workers are all contract instead of employees. Do they really want the computers or something? Or are they trying to collapse the industry into such a few studios that they can then negotiate fair contracts for shots done for Hollywood movies?

Cyne
May 30, 2007
Beauty is a rare thing.

mutata posted:

xNormal's like "gently caress you I do all baking tasks the best and I'm free look at my ugly turn of the century interface."

Quite a few pieces of high-end VFX software have shockingly nasty interfaces as well. Much of that owes to the legacy of that work traditionally being done on IRIX and other Unix workstations and once the industry moved to PCs they just got straight ports with no concessions for native UI conventions. Flame is a good example of this. 3DEqualizer is just... ugly. Houdini was pretty gross prior to version 9 as well.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Blender prior to a recent update was the butt-ugliest thing in the world

Now it's majestic

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

echinopsis posted:

Now it's majestic

What's changed?

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

echinopsis posted:

Now it's majestic

You mean the overhaul from... 6 years ago?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

SynthOrange posted:

What's changed?

Blender is no longer ugly. It is fast, and efficient

Taffer posted:

You mean the overhaul from... 6 years ago?

I don't know when it happened but I come across old tutorials all the time that have the layout, and it fuckin sucks

Now it's great