Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

i can't believe i'm asking this but what the gently caress

does ocelot know who his parents are?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe
so i just did the "kill the 6 PFC member" mission that turn into "rescue the child soldiers". had a nice no-kill run going but it turned into a clusterfuck at the halfway point. the kids kept getting spotted despite me telling them to wait, which brought the patrolling attack helicopter over to blow us all up. on the second second attempt i smoke naded 4 doods and chain CQC'd them, only to have the morons run into the smoke and sit there coughing for 30 secs while the other soldiers shot at us. third attempt had me loading them into the evac chopper, getting spotted, and having the enemy gunship blow us all up. finally said gently caress it and shot everyone in the face with a borrowed sniper rifle

still somehow got an S rank :psyduck:

Kuvo fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Sep 12, 2015

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
gently caress double post

Kuvo fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Sep 12, 2015

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

Kuvo posted:

so i just did the "kill the 6 PFC member" mission that turn into "rescue the child soldiers". had a nice no-kill run going but it turned into a clusterfuck at the halfway point. [spoiler]the kids[spoiler] kept getting spotted despite me telling them to wait, which brought the patrolling attack helicopter over to blow us all up. on the second second attempt i smoke naded 4 doods and chain CQC'd them, only to have the morons run into the smoke and sit there coughing for 30 secs while the other soldiers shot at us. third attempt had me loading them into the evac chopper, getting spotted, and having the enemy gunship blow us all up. finally said gently caress it and shot everyone in the face with a borrowed sniper rifle

still somehow got an S rank :psyduck:

Cnidaria
Apr 10, 2009

It's all politics, Mike.

you can s rank basically any mission lethally since headshots and time give you a lot of points

i did that mission almost non lethaly until the end when i missed a soldier and then shot my way out and got an s rank

Cnidaria
Apr 10, 2009

It's all politics, Mike.

also you need to be careful since the child soldiers are just as vulnerable to your attacks as adult pmc soldiers

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

Cnidaria posted:

also you need to be careful since the child soldiers are just as vulnerable to your attacks as adult pmc soldiers

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9vupRn3PJvg

angry_keebler
Jul 16, 2006

In His presence the mountains quake and the hills melt away; the earth trembles and its people are destroyed. Who can stand before His fierce anger?

duTrieux. posted:

i can't believe i'm asking this but what the gently caress

does ocelot know who his parents are?

it's never really spelled out clearly

the boss probably knew during operation snake eater, and snake found out from eva who was told by volgin(?) that ocelot's mom had a snake shaped scar, so if nobody else knew snake could have given his buddy the "i knew your mom" speech

evidently ocelot found out sometime in the 6 years between snake eater and the san hieronymo incident, since ocelot was the one that came up with the plan for fox to kill the boss but at the end of portable ops he kills the dci and steals the legacy for zero apparently as revenge for getting conned into setting up the plan to kill his mom

e: then again portable ops also makes it seem like it could have the dci that developed the plan to kill the boss, but by peace walker hot coldman takes credit for operation snake eater so who knows

angry_keebler fucked around with this message at 10:06 on Sep 12, 2015

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats

SynthOrange posted:

Whats the poo poo they pulled?

Bungie filed another motion. not to contest that the composer had won but to be vindictive.

quote:

“So, the only reason for them to file this is to make a public record for the PR. The prior 10 pages of garbage is an obvious and transparent attempt at damage control by recasting the ruling as a huge win by Bungie But, all they won was the ability to strip Marty of him to possessing or performing his Music of the Spheres, his opus as a composer. They were not awarded any damages. They just made him give back all of his copies of the CD to the music he composed and recorded with Sir Paul, along with some t-shirts and coffee mugs.”

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Siljmonster
Dec 16, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Raged posted:

Bungie filed another motion. not to contest that the composer had won but to be vindictive.

hahah why are they being such assholes

this is canning blizzard north kind of assholishness

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

OK so as i said my brother and I are marathoning all the MGS games so we can "get" MGS V

i played MGS 1 all night on PS3 and just woke up

i tried to load the game again and it says NO FILE on the memory card

i had explored the menus and there was no "save game" option that i remember so i assumed it was saving automatically when i quit

i wanna cry and kill myself at the same time!

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

PleasureKevin posted:

OK so as i said my brother and I are marathoning all the MGS games so we can "get" MGS V

i had explored the menus and there was no "save game" option that i remember so i assumed it was saving automatically when i quit

You gotta call the save line on the codec

Colonel tells you and also it's in the manual iirc

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

corn in the bible posted:

oh yeah the manual i read with every game i download... :suicide:

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

i had enough trouble with the "call meryl, her number is on the back of the CD case"

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

maybe this is why they didn't put the game in the HD collection

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

PleasureKevin posted:

hahahahahhahahahahahhahahhhhahahahah

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

PleasureKevin posted:

maybe this is why they didn't put the game in the HD collection

I don't think 2 or 3 auto save either. I don't even remember if 4 does tbqh

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

we bought a PS3 just for this

games are loving stupid

i'm gonna try get to where i was in the game before my bro wakes up though

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

yeah, snake hits on her, and then she goes 'REMEMBER TO CALL ME TO SAVE YOUR GAME'

pleasure kevin you're a legit retard

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

hubris.height posted:

yeah, snake hits on her, and then she goes 'REMEMBER TO CALL ME TO SAVE YOUR GAME'

pleasure kevin you're a legit retard

no she says call me if you need anything iirc

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
did you seriously think a console game from 1998 had auto saving

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

no but maybe they added it?

Gus Hobbleton
Dec 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
this is what lets plays are for

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

I have never played this game btw

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

it took me like an hour to figure out you had to equip cards to use them

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I forgot to press R1 to look at Eva's tits I should probably restart huh?

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
if ur skipping cut scenes and know what you're doing you can get through the game skipping cutscenes in prob like 2-3 hours

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

bump_fn posted:

if ur skipping cut scenes and know what you're doing you can get through the game skipping cutscenes in prob like 2-3 hours

good

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

i just ran through the base in virtuous mission and the return to the base that was in virtuous mission in MGS3 shooting people left and right because i'm bored of sneaking and it didn't penalize me in any way. i'm hoping to employ the same tactic throughout the game, also stabbing gavials.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Jerry Cotton posted:

i just ran through the base in virtuous mission and the return to the base that was in virtuous mission in MGS3 shooting people left and right because i'm bored of sneaking and it didn't penalize me in any way. i'm hoping to employ the same tactic throughout the game, also stabbing gavials.

You get new camos that have special effects for doing the bosses non-lethally, but even then you can do it by running around and tranq shooting them if you want to. The only penalty for getting seen is you don't unlock... infinite ammo, I think?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

You get new camos that have special effects for doing the bosses non-lethally, but even then you can do it by running around and tranq shooting them if you want to. The only penalty for getting seen is you don't unlock... infinite ammo, I think?

I tranqed or beat up every boss in MGS2 I think so vOv And infinite ammo only comes into play once you beat the game and start again, right? So that won't benefit me in any way for a long long while.

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

well I got back to where I was last night and beat ninja

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

PleasureKevin posted:

oh yeah the manual i read with every game i download... :suicide:

i looked up the manual (via the whatever the xbox button is called on the ps3... the ps button?) exactly because i was told to and played the game without a hitch just wanted to let you know :smugmrgw:

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

PleasureKevin posted:

no but maybe they added it?

yes, they added an autosave feature to an unmodified disc image from 1998

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Playing through MGS while skipping chatter and cut-scenes is a terrible idea because the gameplay is bad.

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

PleasureKevin posted:

i thought "call mei ling on the codec to save" was one of those a priori things that all gamers knew

Gus Hobbleton posted:

this is what lets plays are for

if you really want to catch up with the metal gear story in any reasonable amount of time this is probably the fastest solution (skipping all the gameplay sections)

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Kuvo posted:

if you really want to catch up with the metal gear story in any reasonable amount of time

it's taken me less than a week i believe to go from never-having-played to MGS3 (so four games beaten). doing them all from the beginning is certainly viable unless you're useless like PleasureKevin :smuggo:

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

mgs v is so good

not reading any posts don't wanna be spoiled see ya when i beat it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

angry_keebler posted:

it's never really spelled out clearly

the boss probably knew during operation snake eater, and snake found out from eva who was told by volgin(?) that ocelot's mom had a snake shaped scar, so if nobody else knew snake could have given his buddy the "i knew your mom" speech

evidently ocelot found out sometime in the 6 years between snake eater and the san hieronymo incident, since ocelot was the one that came up with the plan for fox to kill the boss but at the end of portable ops he kills the dci and steals the legacy for zero apparently as revenge for getting conned into setting up the plan to kill his mom

e: then again portable ops also makes it seem like it could have the dci that developed the plan to kill the boss, but by peace walker hot coldman takes credit for operation snake eater so who knows

so basiclaly nobody knows because kojima cna't keep a story straight if his life depneding on it

• Locked thread