Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!

PirateBob posted:

Being able to div with buddies who dont have high tier ships?

That is a fairly good point. I guess I'm just looking for an excuse to keep it. I usually sell all of them and only keep the highest tier of a class.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

Dalael posted:

I just finished my last match with my Kongo and can finally get the Fuso. I'm somewhat torn tho. I kinda like the ship and am tempted to keep it. However, I don't tend to go back to play lower tier ships once I'm done with them. Considering its 300 gold doublons for a spare slot, I am not sure if it is worth it.

Other than "I like this ship and want to keep it", is there any reason at all to keep a lower tier ship?

Seal clubbing. Whenever I have a string of bad games at high tier (for me), I hop in my St. Louis and wreck newbies for fun and profit!

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes
Well ranked battles are only going to be T6-7 or something, so it would be worth keeping good ships in those theirs I suppose? Not that it helps for the Kongo.

Burt
Sep 23, 2007

Poke.

Finally got ,y 10 skill Japanese BB Captain. Mikasa goes from meh to PEW PEW PEW DEATH INCARNATE ARRGGHH!!!!!

Seriously, it's good.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Darkrenown posted:

Well ranked battles are only going to be T6-7 or something, so it would be worth keeping good ships in those theirs I suppose? Not that it helps for the Kongo.

So, what are the nastiest tier 6 and 7 ships? Cleveland's an absolute beast at 6.

TehKeen
May 24, 2006

Maybe she's born with it.
Maybe it's
cosmoline.

Fuso is good, Nagato is good, Aoba/Myoko are good, Cleveland/Atlanta (might be biased here), New Mex.

Plasmafountain
Jun 17, 2008

How is the Myoko? Saving up for it but the Aoba's hard to let go of.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!

Dalael posted:

I just finished my last match with my Kongo and can finally get the Fuso. I'm somewhat torn tho. I kinda like the ship and am tempted to keep it. However, I don't tend to go back to play lower tier ships once I'm done with them. Considering its 300 gold doublons for a spare slot, I am not sure if it is worth it.

Other than "I like this ship and want to keep it", is there any reason at all to keep a lower tier ship?

If you want a fast battleship below tier 8 (and why wouldn't you?) your options are pretty limited. So far, Kongo gameplay is pretty much unique.
There's no special incentive to keep it beyond contests, platoons and low tier games, but Kongo gameplay might be worth 300 gold or selling a less unique ship for the slot.

Magni
Apr 29, 2009

Zero Gravitas posted:

Myoko is a beast once you get used to her turret layout. Hit like a truck with those 10 8-in guns, the torps are useable and even the AA is kinda decent. She can't take a hti anymore than any other IJN CA except the Zao, but angling work decently well.

DurosKlav
Jun 13, 2003

Enter your name pilot!

Dalael posted:

Credit grinding unless you have multiple premiums. Tier 5 and 6 are great for credits. I found a good rotation for getting credits was leveling the Myoko(tier 7) normally, then running the murmansk and marblehead as soon as I die. Even just kind of driving straight at the enemy and dying in 5 minutes its pretty easy to clear 150k on each and usually by then the ship you're leveling should be out of its previous battle.

Gort posted:

So, what are the nastiest tier 6 and 7 ships? Cleveland's an absolute beast at 6.

New Mexico, and Aoba

Zero Gravitas posted:

Myoko is just as good as the Aoba. My stats on both are nearly identical, 65% win, 41/42% accuracy, about 40-46k average damage. Only issue with the Myoko is you occasionally get placed into t9 and even sometimes 10 battles where you dont really see that in the Aoba. Its like other Japanese cruisers where you gotta keep yourself angled or you will get mauled.

Burt
Sep 23, 2007

Poke.

Nebraska in dazzle camo. MY EYES!!!! :supaburn:

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

Burt posted:

Nebraska in dazzle camo. MY EYES!!!! :supaburn:

Now imagine trying to use a stereoscopic range finder on it.

What I'm saying is that "hurts your eyes to look at" is a design goal.

Artless Meat
Apr 7, 2008

dazzle camo best camo

Kinetica
Aug 16, 2011

wdarkk posted:

It would have to be one of the most satisfying feelings in the world to sink one

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats

Artless Meat posted:

dazzle camo best camo

I honestly would pay money to have dazzle camo on my premium ships permanently.

With the Marblehead and the Murmansk I should be pretty set for credit/exp grinding or should I keep some tier 5 ships?

Also do higher tiers pay out more exp and credits on average?

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth

wdarkk posted:

I used to do stereoscopic work, and I look at the turrets and see the stereoscopic lenses, but until you said that I never "got" dazzle camo.

Reztes
Jun 20, 2003

Raged posted:

I honestly would pay money to have dazzle camo on my premium ships permanently.

With the Marblehead and the Murmansk I should be pretty set for credit/exp grinding or should I keep some tier 5 ships?

Also do higher tiers pay out more exp and credits on average?

XP and credits are based on damage dealt, so indirectly yes, although repair costs are kind of designed to rise faster than damage output, so the top tiers are generally unprofitable unless you have crazy high average damage (or buy premium).

Keep whatever ships you have fun playing. Until clan wars are a thing, there's not really any direct incentive to play high tiers unless you want to play the ship you're grinding for.

Reztes fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Sep 12, 2015

MREBoy
Mar 14, 2005

MREs - They're whats for breakfast, lunch AND dinner !
The Marblehead may be some sort of mutant, but I'm starting to like it - this was the single biggest cash money payout I've ever gotten (next closest screenshot I had was 298k). 105,799 damage, 63k of which was AP damage from me blasting the gently caress out of 2 Kumas that didn't get the memo that their side armor is made of rotten cheese and wishful thinking. Each ship took exactly 17 AP shells to destroy. The only reason I died to the Langley was because I hadn't gotten used to the slightly worse rudder, and a head on torpedo that I thought would be a paint scraper scraped a bit more.

:homebrew: :sureboat: :

Reztes
Jun 20, 2003

That reminds me though. I've been wondering about this but maybe I haven't thought it through all the way.

If you play ships of a tier just above the average played tier for the server population as a whole, aren't you more likely to be top tier in your matches? For example, say the average tier played on the U.S. server at any particular time is tier 5, if I queue a tier 6 or 7, won't I more often be top tier than bottom tier since at any given time, the matchmaking queue will contain more tier 5 players than 6-9 players?

I might be overlooking the effect of the matchmaker and those higher tier players getting priority if their queue times are higher than the others, or any fuckery related to the new "you get to be top tier after x games as low tier" system.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Reztes posted:

That reminds me though. I've been wondering about this but maybe I haven't thought it through all the way.

If you play ships of a tier just above the average played tier for the server population as a whole, aren't you more likely to be top tier in your matches? For example, say the average tier played on the U.S. server at any particular time is tier 5, if I queue a tier 6 or 7, won't I more often be top tier than bottom tier since at any given time, the matchmaking queue will contain more tier 5 players than 6-9 players?

I might be overlooking the effect of the matchmaker and those higher tier players getting priority if their queue times are higher than the others, or any fuckery related to the new "you get to be top tier after x games as low tier" system.

It'll try to match you as bottom tier for upper-level matches before it will set you top-tier though, as long as it has 5 per side it will consider it a valid match.

DurosKlav
Jun 13, 2003

Enter your name pilot!

Zero Gravitas posted:

Also should say with how HE works right now be prepared to get set on fire and having your steering knocked out, then popping your damage control party only to have the absolute next salvo from that ship do the exact same thing. Japanese cruisers seem to suffer greatly from the rudder being knocked out every other loving shot by HE.

Pacra
Aug 5, 2004

whew glad my first name choice didn't get taken

Chucullinn
Dec 9, 2008
The warshipstats site really is a nice site for checking your stats and your performance in your ships.

http://warshipstats.com/

Even though official ranking isn't in the game yet, if you have enough battles you can check what position you are in the world in damage, win rate, average experience, KDR, and number of battles. Sitting very pretty at 6th in the world with my Atlanta in damage and 1st in the world with the Baltimore. :smug:

A nice thing to check if you care about things like that at all.

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G
Checking out Sims stat... :v: 0.32 KDR, 0.56 Kill per game

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

Chucullinn posted:

The warshipstats site really is a nice site for checking your stats and your performance in your ships.

http://warshipstats.com/

Even though official ranking isn't in the game yet, if you have enough battles you can check what position you are in the world in damage, win rate, average experience, KDR, and number of battles. Sitting very pretty at 6th in the world with my Atlanta in damage and 1st in the world with the Baltimore. :smug:

A nice thing to check if you care about things like that at all.

Cool, let's check the KDR for certain ships.

Bogue: -.02

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

I wonder if there's a reason why the Cleveland and Omaha have a lot more battles than any other ship

Burt
Sep 23, 2007

Poke.

NTRabbit posted:

I wonder if there's a reason why the Cleveland and Omaha have a lot more battles than any other ship

:getout: you enormous whinging oval office.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

I'm interested in seeing a breakdown of the stats by win rate of players, the same way that demonstrated to wargaming just how vastly more overpowered, overperforming and gamebreaking than anything else they'd ever created the Waffle E-100 was despite the ordinary "server average" stats WG had been using as their measuring stick.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy
But Cleveland?

jownzy
Apr 20, 2012

I love Rainbow Moon.

It is the deepest game ever. Nothing compares to its epic story.
Reverted the cheap rear end 2x to 1.5x already?

That ship site showed me and my 38% win rate in my Cleveland. No wonder I wasn't as enamored with it as everyone else.

Lowest win rate of any ship I played more than 15 battles in, though top 6 ships for average damage.

Evil_Greven
Feb 20, 2007

Whadda I got to,
whadda I got to do
to wake ya up?

To shake ya up,
to break the structure up!?

Devorum posted:

Cool, let's check the KDR for certain ships.

Bogue: -.02

Their KDR calculation is really strange.

code:
Bogue
Battles: 		59,858
Avg. player battles:	29
Victories:		46.5%
Avg. experience:	1,040
Avg. damage:		25,637
KDR:			-0.02
Ship kill rate:		0.51
Plane kill rate:	13.57
Capture rate: 		0.15
Defense reset rate: 	3.38
Survival rate: 		53.10%
Total players:		2063
Killed ~30528 ships, died ~28073 times, for a KDR of 1.09; somehow equates to -0.02?

Okay, so what about something else:
code:
Iwaki Alpha
Battles: 		4,785
Avg. player battles:	27
Victories:		57.0%
Avg. experience:	1,375
Avg. damage:		33,896
KDR:			0.95
Ship kill rate:		1.25
Plane kill rate:	1.07
Capture rate: 		1.52
Defense reset rate: 	8.99
Survival rate: 		29.90%
Total players:		176
Killed ~5503 ships, died ~3354 times , for a KDR of 1.64; somehow equates to 0.95?

e: wait a second...
Bogue kill rate = 0.51, survival rate = 0.531... kill rate - survival rate = ~-0.02
Iwaki Alpha kill rate = 1.25, survival rate = .299... kill rate - survival rate = ~0.95
:ughh:

Evil_Greven fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Sep 13, 2015

Woodchip
Mar 28, 2010
Any ETA on when clan tags are visible? I'm losing precious seconds of trolling.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!

NTRabbit posted:

I'm interested in seeing a breakdown of the stats by win rate of players, the same way that demonstrated to wargaming just how vastly more overpowered, overperforming and gamebreaking than anything else they'd ever created the Waffle E-100 was despite the ordinary "server average" stats WG had been using as their measuring stick.

it won't demonstrate what you expect it to
NA server stats are morebalanced between classes than SEA

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

James Garfield posted:

it won't demonstrate what you expect it to

Well where are they then? You must have seen them to be that confident

James Garfield
May 5, 2012

NTRabbit posted:

Well where are they then? You must have seen them to be that confident

http://maplesyrup.sweet.coocan.jp/wows/ranking/index.html
There is enough information here.

Even in its absence, though, it's often enough (not guaranteed, but significantly better than random chance) to look at whatever NTRabbit is saying in the boats thread and assume the opposite is true.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

James Garfield posted:

http://maplesyrup.sweet.coocan.jp/wows/ranking/index.html
There is enough information here.

Even in its absence, though, it's often enough (not guaranteed, but significantly better than random chance) to look at whatever NTRabbit is saying in the boats thread and assume the opposite is true.

Oh so you have nothing remotely like what I described, ok.

I mean I could say the same thing about the people who bitched incessantly, and very wrongly, about artillery on a daily basis in the tanks thread because they lacked the skill and general intelligence to play against them, no matter how many over nerfs they received over the journey. Assume them to be wrong and you'll have the right of it more often than not.

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Sep 13, 2015

Pacra
Aug 5, 2004

quote:

Fais_1111 : hwo to shoot missile in water
Arekon1 : *
Fais_1111 : how*
SwiftBoatVetsfor9/11Truth : alt f4

It's just like Navyfield :allears:

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Pacra posted:

It's just like Navyfield :allears:

I saw this exact exchange a few weeks back with other people.

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD

NTRabbit posted:

Hi, allow me to clue you into something.

Cruisers are the most accessible class in the game, who would have thunk it? I mean, its not like you start playing WoWS with a T1 Cruiser, or that they're portrayed as "Jack of All Trades" type ships, or that Wargaming themselves have said that Cruisers are meant to be the most played class in the game, by a pretty significant amount too.

Gee, I wonder why the Omaha and Cleveland are so heavily played. And why all the rest of the drat cruisers are. As for why the US CAs are played the most, its likely due to them being easier than IJN CAs (torps are hard), plus the Furutaka putting people off for some time. Also, NA will be biased slightly towards US ships. Take a look at the SEA stats and you'll notice a lot more IJN ships in the most played category.

Nobody cares about your "CRUISERS ARE OP" crying, because its been proven pretty consistently that no, they are not. The T6 BBs and CVs have higher average damage in game, and the Ryujo and Fuso have higher winrates, than the Cleveland. Saying the Omaha is OP is basically admitting that you're really bad at this game, because the Omaha is full of squishy citadel goodness just waiting to be exploited.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
^^ Not just that, NTRabbit literally thinks carriers at game launch were balanced and artillery in tanks was fun to play against.

NTRabbit posted:

The Hosho and the Zuiho are worth exiting to Port if there's a Langley, Bogue or Independence on the other side. American fighters are unbeatable, almost undodgable, and can strip you of every torpedo bomber in your hangar without reloading.

Likewise the Langley and Bogue are utterly pointless unless there's a Japanese CV on the other side, because dive bombers are really only useful for hurting destroyers and resetting cap.

It is a myth that low tier CVs have been stupid good, because since they introduced underwhelming Japanese CVs with their lack of useful fighters, and simultaneously hammered American ones with a massive nerf to their anti-ship capability, it's not been remotely true.

Zuiho had average damage 53000 and 50% win rate (across all players) when NTRabbit made this post. Keep up the good work NTRabbit!
:downsbravo:

edit: also if NTRabbit can't figure out how to determine the ship performance/player performance relationship from the site I linked he is even dumber than I thought

James Garfield fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Sep 13, 2015