Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

Yes_Cantaloupe posted:

No, they can definitely roam about. How else would Rui have eight of them?

One for each of his outfits!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Rui has way more outfits than that.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

Sakurazuka posted:

Rui has way more outfits than that.

Well, yeah, but there are probably also way more Kuus than that.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
Since Gel generated word bubbles off people all the time seems like one person could create multiple Kuus if their bubbles got spewed out more than once.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

4 hours and 38 minutes...

I'm bluetsutsu...

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

My kuuki: :unsmith:

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

However if OD doesn't get to transform then I will gently caress someone up

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

“Every loving day. Every single loving day when i come home this little idiot just sits there and gives me this stupid look on her face. What should i do about her? Ideas?”

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
That was a neat episode and I was glad for the return of In the Name of Love heralding a neat action scene.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Important concepts for this episode - gekokujo and government by assassination. Starting to wonder if VAPE is a stand-in for the Toseiha, a conservative organisation created to defend against political radicals that shared many of their core assumptions and led Japan further into chaos, with Rizumu as Hideki Tojo.

This is really irritating, because I've been looking for a good history of life and politics in Meiji/early Showa Japan for ages without success, and I can see how that would be very useful to understanding the political context of the show and how clued-up the creators are. The chief thing here seems to be about the perils of mob rule as traditional power structures break down, and they've directly stated that's how everything went to poo poo in Imperial Japan. I'm not sure how much that's true, and how much was a top-down imposition by the government, and where Gelsadra symbolically fits into all this. Maybe he's a stand-in for a particular Showa phenomenon, maybe he's just modern technology making politics faster, shallower, and more vicious while not being to blame in his own right (can you blame smartphone proliferation for a rise in suicides from cyberbullying? Technically and indirectly, yes, but there's also a human bully involved, and 'my iPhone made me do it' isn't a great defence), and maybe he's a bit of both.

I just don't feel I have the requisite equipment to seriously dig into this, and I wish I did.

Darth Walrus fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Sep 13, 2015

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

so wait are the people who were eaten dead now? the kuus were getting cut up all over the place in this ep, and no peeps were poppin out so...

seriously wtf have the gatchamen been doing since they learned the kuus might be dangerous? poo poo tons of people have possibly died while they were twiddling their thumbs

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Yuru-jii getting real about Japan and WWII was both cool and surprising. Usually they just kinda sweep that under the rug in my experience, so for him to just straight up say "we just went along with it and did some regrettable poo poo" was pretty impressive.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

Yuru-jii getting real about Japan and WWII was both cool and surprising. Usually they just kinda sweep that under the rug in my experience, so for him to just straight up say "we just went along with it and did some regrettable poo poo" was pretty impressive.

Yeah, I generally just watch this show with a surface level appreciation because I don't feel like I have the cultural & historic knowledge to really get most of what it's doing but this seemed pretty awesome even to me.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

Darth Walrus posted:

Important concepts for this episode - gekokujo and government by assassination. Starting to wonder if VAPE is a stand-in for the Toseiha, a conservative organisation created to defend against political radicals that shared many of their core assumptions and led Japan further into chaos, with Rizumu as Hideki Tojo.

I just don't feel I have the requisite equipment to seriously dig into this, and I wish I did.

This is still great and thanks for posting it. I think you're right on and I did not know this part of Japan's history.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Actually, come to think of it... is Gelsadra maybe Hirohito? Because that would have implications with a capital I for the show's political perspective.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Gelsadra is an alien :)

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Cake Attack posted:

Gelsadra is an alien :)

One could maybe call him... celestial?

Valhawk
Dec 15, 2007

EXCEED CHARGE
Did this show seriously just straight up call out the Japanese populace for their complicity in WWII? I mean, I'm so used to too much anime just being conservative apologia, that it was shockingly refreshing to see a relatively main-stream show rip back the veil of historical revisionism that happens all too often on that subject. Not to mention having to deal with the fallout from Japan's extremest right with their history of harassment campaigns and political assassinations.

Edit: On an unrelated note, them bringing back "In the Name of Love" for the last bit was amazing. I'd forgotten how totally amazing that track is.

Valhawk fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Sep 13, 2015

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

Darth Walrus posted:

Actually, come to think of it... is Gelsadra maybe Hirohito? Because that would have implications with a capital I for the show's political perspective.

I don't know. You can only take it so far. I mean, does Rui represent the intelligentsia, cowed into blissful submission by a wave of nationalism? Maybe, but I don't think they were necessarily going for direct analogues.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

Shouldn't be that surprising, they've been setting up for a scene/speech like that from the beginning, what with the memorial shrine in his room.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Darth Walrus posted:

One could maybe call him... celestial?
Another Tenryuubito to mach punch in the face?

kater
Nov 16, 2010

Senerio posted:

That was a neat episode and I was glad for the return of In the Name of Love heralding a neat action scene.

Yes the part where the heroes powered up their murder suits to attack the cotton candy stuffed pinatas presenting no resistance was dope.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Bad Seafood posted:

Shouldn't be that surprising, they've been setting up for a scene/speech like that from the beginning, what with the memorial shrine in his room.

Oh no doubt, I didn't miss that little bit of foreshadowing, but I never expected them to deal with as directly as they did. I thought that hint would be all there was. So, pleasant surprise. :)

Also thank you music-likers for telling me the name of the best track in the show, now I can easily look it up. That track has the best "poo poo is about to get awesome" feel.

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

Not a cute boy, just a boring girl.
Yeah! Stuff is happening! And more Rui!

Arianya
Nov 3, 2009

What Rui doesn't know is that he only just averted X from becoming Skynet and forcibly updating the world.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
I was starting to wonder if we weren't seeing the groundwork for season 3 right there.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!

Everything Burrito posted:

I was starting to wonder if we weren't seeing the groundwork for season 3 right there.

Yeah, I got a bit of that vibe there, which I'd be okay with.

I definitely did not see Tsubasa transforming into a rad hoverbike coming. It's weird because the shape definitely suggests someone should be riding the bike, but... that seems like it would be awkward as hell.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Hajime is going to ride her

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
Hajime will take X inside of her boobs, as she will all nefarious forces

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!

Sakurazuka posted:

I don't think I'm prepared for the level of innuendo that Hajime scissoring her enemies while riding Tsubasa would entail.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Sakurazuka posted:

The adolescence of Tsubasa.

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.
I was hoping for Millione to become a bad guy so he could get his dumb face punched in but this is also a good outcome.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

millione is a bad guy. he's a huge part of the problem as a guy who helps create the atmosphere

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

He is literally Hitler

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Terper posted:

He is literally Hitler

Whoever dresses him is

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Sakurazuka posted:

Whoever dresses him is

He dresses himself, so

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
Crimes against fashion and humanity.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

I'm done with mpreg Gel, please return the cute one by the end of the season.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

lol, Rizumu's "disguise"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Are you an episode behind or something?

E: so it would seem

• Locked thread