Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
legoman727
Mar 13, 2010

by exmarx
Fae, you may have worse pathfinding than the Pikmin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

So many things have gone wrong.

:stonk:

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Pikmin are so incredibly stupid.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.
It's been a while since I last used a Gamecube controller, is the 'throw' button located where you'd hit it with your thumb?

Panboy
May 20, 2010

Le'me tell ya'll about them Apples.

Samovar posted:

It's been a while since I last used a Gamecube controller, is the 'throw' button located where you'd hit it with your thumb?

Yes it's the big green A button, Nintendo made it the most easy button to push.

Faylone
Feb 18, 2012
I find that if it's worth battle-bomb-rocking at all it's worth a certain-kill assault where everything there eats enough bomb rocks to die right away. It's faster and seems to still result in a lower loss of yellow pikmin in the long run.

GeneralYeti
Jul 22, 2012

Look at this smug broken asshole.
What the heck was up with the bomb rocks? They weren't exploding, the ones that did didn't do damage... I do like that you managed to kill one of the Dwarf Bulbears when you were trying to blow up the big one.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

GeneralYeti posted:

What the heck was up with the bomb rocks? They weren't exploding, the ones that did didn't do damage... I do like that you managed to kill one of the Dwarf Bulbears when you were trying to blow up the big one.

Yeah I don't know what was going on there either, they were remarkably ineffective. They usually do so much more.

I think the bulbears' little feets might just have a weird hitbox and the bombs weren't exploding close enough to hit their body somehow. The blast radius really looks and feels like it should be bigger than it actually is.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

My trick for fast button-mashing is not to wiggle the thumb, but rather to vibrate the hand. I can get a lot more speed out of that.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING
Apparently a lot of the gameplay stuff I remember from Pikmin is actually from Pikmin 2. That game is so much better from a quality of life perspective, and I THINK the Pikmin AI is less horrible. At least, I don't remember my Pikmin getting stuck on walls quite so much. WE SHALL SEE.

BirchBeerFloat
Jul 26, 2013
It doesn't help that bomb rocks are extremely finicky, getting them to do what you actually want is one of the hardest mechanics to master in the first game, not in the least because the explosion hitbox is wonky and messing it up can easily kill dozens of Pikmin at once (which isn't something that is all that common in the first game). Mastering it is worth it though because it is THE time saving mechanic in the first game, proper bomb rock use can easily shave days off of your record.

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
I'm not Amish by choice. 8(
Nothing against Fae here (her experiences so far are pretty typical of the first-time playthrough), but these last few parts are going to be very, very interesting. They're endgame challenges that demand great precision and mastery of the controls. One is clearly surmountable in that it's a combat challenge, but one of the others is a frustrating test of mastery over the controls and might prove...difficult, though perhaps there's a trick for it I don't recall.

E: The bomb-rock thing is due to one of two quirks of the system, though at a glance and through fuzzy memory I can't recall which is the more likely culprit here. The first is that, as has been said, bomb-rock explosions are finicky and their AoE somehow manages to be at times too small and at other times too large; I haven't tested it, but I have sometimes wondered if the explosion is irregularly-shaped or works by firing semi-random rays instead of just being a sphere of death. The other issue is that Pikmin 1 has very weird issues with invincibility frames, damage resistance, and hit detection. Many enemies in Pikmin 1 have animations that cannot be interrupted, and a few have outright invulnerability during certain animations; it's possible that the Bulbear was briefly in such a position for just the right length of time to ignore the blast.

Shady Amish Terror fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Sep 12, 2015

Faerie Fortune
Nov 14, 2004

:siren:Bonus Time!:siren:

Bonus 3 - Please Stop Murdering Pikmin

I've been sick and gnome has been busy with his Kickstarter campaign so we haven't really been able to record recently. We're fixing that though and in the meantime have this bonus that is sure to make the thread super mad

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??
It's fine. What's challenge mode for if not for horrible pikmin experimentation time?

Faerie Fortune
Nov 14, 2004

:siren:Update Time!:siren:

Episode 22 - Pikmin Magic

I don't think the cannon beetle is okay, guys

EllipsisBreak
Mar 1, 2015
It's a good thing you stepped in the safety rainbow before you stepped in that non-safety firespout. That would have killed Olimar.

Aithon
Jan 3, 2014

Every puzzle has an answer.
It's not a new thought, but holy crap, when things go bad in Pikmin, it's swift and brutal. :stare: I guess it's understandable when your minions are literally as robust as flowers.

Is it at all possible to screw up by running out of Pikmin? Not that Fae herself is even remotely in that sort of danger, but theoretically someone could get stuck because you need Pikmin to carry resources to make more Pikmin. Do you just get some mercy Pikmin then or is it game over?

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

Aithon posted:

It's not a new thought, but holy crap, when things go bad in Pikmin, it's swift and brutal. :stare: I guess it's understandable when your minions are literally as robust as flowers.

Is it at all possible to screw up by running out of Pikmin? Not that Fae herself is even remotely in that sort of danger, but theoretically someone could get stuck because you need Pikmin to carry resources to make more Pikmin. Do you just get some mercy Pikmin then or is it game over?

Yes, IIRC one of the Game Over conditions is Pikmin Extinction.

You will then be prompted like any other Game Over to restart the day so you can not do the thing that you lost to this time.

GeneralYeti
Jul 22, 2012

Look at this smug broken asshole.
I thought that the Onion would just randomly spit out a single leaf Pikmin. Or was that only on the first time we meet the different colors?

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
I'm not Amish by choice. 8(
I believe Extinction will end your day, but if you really want to, I believe it's still possible to continue to the next day if you REALLY want to; if memory serves, running out of a given color of Pikmin entirely will actually cause that color onion to expel a single seed the next new day. However, since the game does give you the option of returning to the last save, that's generally the preferable option, although if you really need to it's trivial to build 100 of any given color of Pikmin in a single day at the Crash Site.

chocolatekake
Jul 31, 2013

Cake? Chocolate.
Wow you really have been working on your button mashing technique! That fight went much better than previous bulbears. Congrats! :f5h::toot:

Materant
Jul 22, 2010

see, what you don't understand is he now has

THE MANLIEST MUSTACHE

it defies physics

Cernunnos posted:

Yes, IIRC one of the Game Over conditions is Pikmin Extinction.

You will then be prompted like any other Game Over to restart the day so you can not do the thing that you lost to this time.

Fortunately (or unfortunately, depending on interpretation), Fae is actually incapable of getting a game over in the Distant Spring from Pikmin extinction, regardless of how bad things get, because there's a blue Pikmin she can't pluck because Olimar locks up on attempt.

Faerie Fortune
Nov 14, 2004

:siren:Update Time:siren:

Episode 23 - Puzzle Time With Joey

Taking bets on what goes wrong next!

Materant
Jul 22, 2010

see, what you don't understand is he now has

THE MANLIEST MUSTACHE

it defies physics

I had completely forgotten that Olimar doesn't breathe oxygen. A deadly, poisonous gas, indeed. :allears:

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

Materant posted:

I had completely forgotten that Olimar doesn't breathe oxygen. A deadly, poisonous gas, indeed. :allears:
Well, if our biochemistry hadn't evolved to take advantage of it, we'd probably call it that too - it's one of the most reactive nonmetals after all.

Paul.Power fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Sep 22, 2015

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Paul.Power posted:

Well, if our biochemistry wasn't set up to take advantage of it, we'd probably call it that too - it's one of the most reactive nonmetals after all.

Indeed. There's a reason that one of the first thing Chemistry students are taught is oxidation, poo poo's everywhere and wants to bond with everything to steal some electrons.

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

It's nice to see things go your way for a change, Fae! Looking forward to seeing you tackle the last puzzle part.

World
Jan 30, 2012

Everyone you will ever meet knows something you don't.
I don't think anything will go wrong. I think you'll reach both parts the next day. I have faith!

..Well, I think you'll be able to get both parts some of the way, anyway. After that, the run just might become "Crew Expendable - Let's Play Every Pikmin Game Blind!"

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.
So, I don't know if anyone pointed this out, but you don't actually need red pikmin to bring back the part. You need them to get through the initial firespouts, but once your reds have killed the beetle, and opened up the bridge and the wall, you can walk yellows or reds up there no problem. Fae could have probably gotten that part a day early. :eng101:

Edit: Yellows or Blues :eng99:

Captain Bravo fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Sep 23, 2015

Faerie Fortune
Nov 14, 2004

:siren:Update Time!:siren:

Episode 24 - Blues Have Got Your Back

I don't know how I was expecting this to go but it certainly wasn't like this holy poo poo what happens in this video is the :kimchi:-est thing

evilspacehopper
Oct 10, 2012

Hinawa remembered in death as she was in life: endlessly eating birds.
Seeing the blue Pikmin save those yellows like that was the most satisfying thing, in fact this whole episode felt good.

I sure you'll get 100% at this rate though this last part is gonna be rough.

Thesaya
May 17, 2011

I am a Plant.
You lost no Pikmin. Has that even happened before? Maybe in one of the first days, I can't remember, but it must be quite an impressive feat for a first timer from what I've gathered from this LP and thread. Well done Fae!

Thesaya fucked around with this message at 14:59 on Sep 25, 2015

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises
Congratulations on losing no Pikmin.

I foresee this will not be happening a second time for the rest of Pikmin 1, which is why I made a special counter for those lost in the FINAL TRIAL.

Check it out on The Wall of Fallen Pikmin.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
You go Fae! You save Olimar!

Although it does beg the question. This last part is optional, right? And the Dolphin seems to be completely capable of doing what it needs to so what is the last part?

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

Although it does beg the question. This last part is optional, right? And the Dolphin seems to be completely capable of doing what it needs to so what is the last part?

Yup 100% optional(otherwise no parts would be optional). At this point Fae has beaten pikmin and is just shooting for all the parts. The only game over she can get is if she kills olimar in the field.

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

The last part is something not required

Obviously it's a portable garden that will let Olimar bring his new buddies with him

Panboy
May 20, 2010

Le'me tell ya'll about them Apples.
I had no idea blues would rescue other pikim at all. Learn something new every day I guess!

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!

Pyroi posted:

The last part is something not required

Obviously it's a portable garden that will let Olimar bring his new buddies with him

I know it's probably not but I really kinda hope that it is. But given how lightly this game takes itself I'm putting my money on it being the back-up generator for the massager.

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

Since we've seen optional parts that were gifts from Olimar's son and daughter, I'm wondering if the final part might be a gift from his wife.

A portable garden would definitely be the coolest idea, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

Paul.Power posted:

Since we've seen optional parts that were gifts from Olimar's son and daughter, I'm wondering if the final part might be a gift from his wife.

A portable garden would definitely be the coolest idea, though.

The Libra and Sagittarius are very much not optional parts! They are windows on the ship and it needs them to be space-proof. The optional parts are the flotation ring, the nova blaster, the massage chair, the UV lamp, and the one from the Final Trial that we haven't gotten yet.

• Locked thread