Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Germansimp posted:

So I need to ask, how much time of that podcast is spent on non-DDT talk?

99.999999% of it. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer
Did it ever come out which promotion offered to hire Alvarez as their booker? The way it came up on a WO show with Dave a few weeks ago, it came across like it was either WCW or TNA.

Dunbar
Feb 21, 2003

It was WWE. Dave mentioned it on their boards.

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer
Oh God, I can only imagine how much of a disaster that would have been. Vince would have fired Bryan within a week after too many threats of pissing straight into the air.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Rodney the Piper posted:

Oh God, I can only imagine how much of a disaster that would have been. Vince would have fired Bryan within a week after too many threats of pissing straight into the air.

GODDAMIT MAN PISS IN THE AIR OR GET THE gently caress OUT

Also, Colt's interview with Jarrett was fun.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Bryan is BAFFLED that there are people who would associate the name Royce with Rolls-Royce instead of Royce Gracie.

Jubs
Jul 11, 2006

Boy, I think it's about time I tell you the difference between a man and a woman. A woman isn't a woman unless she's pretty. And a man isn't a man unless he's ugly.
Has there been an MLW where Konnan has talked about BOLA yet?

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Not yet. Last week's was a special episode with JR and Kevin Sullivan.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

coconono posted:

GODDAMIT MAN PISS IN THE AIR OR GET THE gently caress OUT

Also, Colt's interview with Jarrett was fun.

I'm just imagining the Droz scene from Beyond the Mat

"He's gonna-- He's gonna piss! He's gonna piss! Heeeeee's gonna PISS!"

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Jake in Stone Cold is really drat good.

He was real good on Pipers podcast as well. A lot harder to listen to though. A lot of talk about his abuse and his childhood.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Sockser posted:

Jake in Stone Cold is really drat good.

He was real good on Pipers podcast as well. A lot harder to listen to though. A lot of talk about his abuse and his childhood.

Sober Jake's dry sense of humor is one of my favorite things in this world, and I wonder how modern audiences would take to a match using his ideas about heel and babyface psychology.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

CombineThresher posted:

Sober Jake's dry sense of humor is one of my favorite things in this world, and I wonder how modern audiences would take to a match using his ideas about heel and babyface psychology.

tbh, i think smart marks wouldn't like it because the work rate wouldn't be high enough

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

I think you couldn't do his type of match outside of a ppv. That slow calculated poo poo wouldn't fly on raw.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

It's weird to think about, but I think Jake Roberts wouldn't work at all on modern Raw because he's too menacing. Even the guys whose gimmicks are we're really scary (bray wyatt) aren't near as menacing as Jake was. Jake talking about how much he loved the fear in Elizabeth's eyes when she thought Randy Savage was going to die is way creepier than anything Bray's done

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

bray wyatt is "spooky", jake the snake is "this guy is going to cut out my tongue and shove it into one of my eyes"

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Smoking Crow posted:

tbh, i think smart marks wouldn't like it because the work rate wouldn't be high enough

You're probably right. Smart marks are idiots.

Alaois posted:

bray wyatt is "spooky", jake the snake is "this guy is going to cut out my tongue and shove it into one of my eyes"

Jake's character was a bad, scary man, and he generally always had clear direction. Bray could be a lot more than just weird if the WWE braintrust knew what to do with him.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

Smoking Crow posted:

good wrestling is good wrestling. The stuff that gets over the most in WWE is strong character work and good storytelling in and out of the ring

Smoking Crow posted:

It's weird to think about, but I think Jake Roberts wouldn't work at all on modern Raw because he's too menacing. Even the guys whose gimmicks are we're really scary (bray wyatt) aren't near as menacing as Jake was. Jake talking about how much he loved the fear in Elizabeth's eyes when she thought Randy Savage was going to die is way creepier than anything Bray's done
bray wyatt sucks because he is without menace or clear purpose so he could probably take some lessons

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
Speaking of Jake I'm watching the Raws after KoTR '96 where they were using his alcoholism as an angle and goddamn Lawler gets really nasty about it. It doesn't help that Jake sounds so sad and defeated every time he tries to respond.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:

Seams posted:

Speaking of Jake I'm watching the Raws after KoTR '96 where they were using his alcoholism as an angle and goddamn Lawler gets really nasty about it. It doesn't help that Jake sounds so sad and defeated every time he tries to respond.

jeez, really? I thought it was just WCW who did that kind of thing in the 90s with Scott Hall :smith:

MisterGBH
Dec 6, 2010

Eric Bischoff is full of shit

Seams posted:

Lawler is brutal with his jibes. I think I heard that Lawler used real liquor in a skit when he doused Jake once. They were awful to Jake.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

abraham linksys posted:

jeez, really? I thought it was just WCW who did that kind of thing in the 90s with Scott Hall :smith:

WWF also used Road Warrior Hawk's drug problems in an angle.

Mob
May 7, 2002

Me reading your posts

MisterGBH posted:

Lawler is brutal with his jibes. I think I heard that Lawler used real liquor in a skit when he doused Jake once. They were awful to Jake.

Well to be fair Jake was full of poo poo the whole time anyway

Marquis de Pyro
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Prevails
I'm pretty sure 'smart fans' only poo poo on 'slow methodical matches' when that's just an alternate term for 'boring'. For example, Jake Roberts actually had good matches, Randy 'The Viper' Orton has "methodical" matches because he's slow and boring. There's a pretty big difference there.

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

the first world was a mistake

Yeah, Jake or someone like Destroyer working methodically, and someone like HHH working "methodically", is night and day

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Fauxhawk Express posted:

Yeah, Jake or someone like Destroyer working methodically, and someone like HHH working "methodically", is night and day

At least when HHH is working methodically, it makes sense. He will target a body part and just go to town. Randy literally just does random moves at a very slow pace.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Look at these Smart Marks what can't appreciate a well-applied chinlock.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Mob posted:

Well to be fair Jake was full of poo poo the whole time anyway

Doesn't make the whole thing any less mean-spirited or unfair to Jake.

The D in Detroit
Oct 13, 2012

Marquis de Pyro posted:

I'm pretty sure 'smart fans' only poo poo on 'slow methodical matches' when that's just an alternate term for 'boring'. For example, Jake Roberts actually had good matches, Randy 'The Viper' Orton has "methodical" matches because he's slow and boring. There's a pretty big difference there.

actually you're getting worked bro 'cause Orton is one of the best guys in WWE

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

Orton is actually very very good and fun

Revenant Threshold
Jan 1, 2008

NienNunb posted:

Orton is actually very very good and fun
Orton is actually very very good and fun, except for the times he's performing moves.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Revenant Threshold posted:

Orton is actually very very good and fun, except for the times he's performing moves.

Or talking, because he sounds like a dork.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Marquis de Pyro posted:

Jake had lots of lovely lovely matches for years and years and years while Randy Orton has pretty much always been one of the best guys in WWE.

Fsmhunk
Jul 19, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Orton is really good most of the time, but sometimes he just doesn't click with a dude and the match drags on and on.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

He's good with a good opponent and usually it's someone expirenced.

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

Randy is great with everyone except for Sheamus and Cena.. The only problem is he generally only really wrestles Sheamus or Cena. Otherwise he's like a top 5 talent on the roster, possibly top 3.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

NienNunb posted:

Randy is great with everyone except for Sheamus and Cena.. The only problem is he generally only really wrestles Sheamus or Cena. Otherwise he's like a top 5 talent on the roster, possibly top 3.

I think the problem with his matches with Sheamus (and almost everyone) is that they usually seem very low-stakes. A lot of the time they seem to be in the perpetual feud over nothing at all.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!
Orton is good when he's motivated but he's been there for so long, and he's never getting on top again, so he's basically going through the numbers which is fine. When Orton was at the top of his game, he was really good. He gave Mark Henry the best match of his career when he dropped the title to him, and the LMS with Triple H from No Mercy 2007 is probably one of the best matches of both men's careers.

CVagts
Oct 19, 2009
I like a lot of his Cena matches but the problem is that there's way too goddamn many of them, especially as a main event.

Marquis de Pyro
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Prevails

MassRafTer posted:

Jake had lots of lovely lovely matches for years and years and years while Randy Orton has pretty much always been one of the best guys in WWE.

Jake sure did, but I didn't have to watch those every week on Monday nights, so I've only had to watch his good matches. I'm sure if I only watched 5% of Randy Orton's matches I'd think he was good as well. Alas, that lucky fate has eluded me.

So instead I've watched him have the same exact boring match with every other boring wrestler in the WWE 10+ times. Admittedly, this is a problem with EVERYONE in WWE regardless of their talent, but Orton just seems monumentally boring in every way to me. Matches are boring, character is boring, promos are boring. He's the American El Generico, except you know, actually Generic and bad instead of good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Von Linus
Apr 6, 2006
I complete me.
I watched Jake back in the 80s into the very early 90s, and I never rated him at all. I loved the DDT, but everything else he did in ring left me cold.

I thought it was all real at the time, but when I remember him, I remember his face run, with the jabs, a knee lift, shortarm clothesline, and DDT. I loved the character, but couldn't remember a single match he had. The podcast is amazing though, and it makes me want to see if he is better than I remember at the actual match stuff.

• Locked thread