Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Autonomous Monster posted:

The Pdox devs have been bitching for ages about not having enough room on the UI for all the poo poo they want to cram into it. A UI mod that's "too empty" and finds room for pointless decoration? They need to be looking at that.

Oh, it's easy to overclutter it. The clutter is in the background texture! The first weird thing I noticed when trying it was the loading progress bar was filled with a busy texture. ????

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.
Every so often when I reinstall HIM for a new version of CK2 I forget to turn ARKO off.

It's... not very good.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Can't I have tradeposts in both the Indian ocean and the Mediterianian/Atlanic?

I have a few tradeposts in the Levant and Anatolia but I can't build one in Sinai or any of my Persian or Arabian holdings. It says "not accessible by sea" in the tooltip.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)
They have to be accessible by sea to your capital, assuming you're a merchant republic. So you're limited to your specified ocean: Atlantic/Med or Indian.

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

"When the eagles are silent, the parrots begin to jabber."

Grimey Drawer
Look, son.

If you don't want me murdering your wives before they give birth, you need to stop marrying such genetic/political losers :colbert:

I never should have given you your own land after you got married the first time.

Baller Time
Apr 22, 2014

by Azathoth
I started a Venetian Patrician and had like 30 people killed in 120 years. Then when my dynasty was set for greatness, Byzanthium came and ate me . Game over. My next game ended after one year because of Tubercolosis. All those murder victims must haunt my game now.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Man, I would like this game ten times as much if poo poo just loaded faster. It takes 5 minutes to get into things every time I start the game up, and it takes even longer if I'm not certain which save I want to play, it takes so long even to check a save.

Things I have questions on now:

-Somehow my son got disinherited when he married his betrothed, and I'm wondering how that happened? Nearest as I can work out, it was because his wife was the duchess of Sardinia, which is the vassal of the HRE, which is currently ruled by my wife. 'it seems to pretty cleanly bypass my big problem of not wanting to deal with my next heir becoming Holy Roman Emperor, but it is a shame seeing my best son lost from my realm. Will changing succession to primogeniture turn him back into my heir?

-The pope mildly dislikes me and keeps excommunicating me, despite all the christianity-spreading I'm doing and my 1400 piety. I slid him a clean 500 bucks for him to forget about the whole excommunication thing, but then the chickenfucker just excommunicated me the next day. How do I deal with that?

-Any suggestions on what characters to start a playthrough with next? I'm getting ready to wrap up my first real playthrough, leave a save, and try something else. I've had most of my fill of Spain and Italy at this point.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

SlothfulCobra posted:

-The pope mildly dislikes me and keeps excommunicating me, despite all the christianity-spreading I'm doing and my 1400 piety. I slid him a clean 500 bucks for him to forget about the whole excommunication thing, but then the chickenfucker just excommunicated me the next day. How do I deal with that?

Find out who is having him excommunicate you and :ese:

Also make sure you have the best Court Chaplain possible (bribe a high-Learning guy from some other realm to come to your court if necessary) and park him in Rome on Improve Religious Relations duty, if you haven't already.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice
Or, embrace the excommunication and convert to a heresy. That's what I did in one of my first games and by the end of it the entire British Isles were Irish Cathars.

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013

SlothfulCobra posted:

-Somehow my son got disinherited when he married his betrothed, and I'm wondering how that happened? Nearest as I can work out, it was because his wife was the duchess of Sardinia, which is the vassal of the HRE, which is currently ruled by my wife. 'it seems to pretty cleanly bypass my big problem of not wanting to deal with my next heir becoming Holy Roman Emperor, but it is a shame seeing my best son lost from my realm. Will changing succession to primogeniture turn him back into my heir?

Check that he isn't in line for a bishopric. His wife may have assigned him one.

Excommunication should have a cooldown, maybe report that as a bug. Speaking of excommunication, I haven't seen anyone get excommunicated in probably more than a year.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

lurksion posted:

Speaking of excommunication, I haven't seen anyone get excommunicated in probably more than a year.

I haven't either. It literally never ever happens. Makes me wonder if Slothful Cobra is running some kind of overhaul mod.

I haven't tried to excommunicate anyone myself, either, since usually if I would want a guy excommunicated and the pope doesn't like him, I'd rather get a claim on his land. Maybe the AI is now programmed to think the same way, I dunno.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Maybe the newer DLCs make it less common? All I'm running is the base game + Sword of Islam.

This isn't even the first time characters in this run have been excommunicated even. It's happened at least 5 times by now, most notably the day after I gave up catharism a century ago. Hell, my current ruler was excommunicated back during his regency when he was still a child.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Eric the Mauve posted:

I haven't either. It literally never ever happens. Makes me wonder if Slothful Cobra is running some kind of overhaul mod.

I haven't tried to excommunicate anyone myself, either, since usually if I would want a guy excommunicated and the pope doesn't like him, I'd rather get a claim on his land. Maybe the AI is now programmed to think the same way, I dunno.

Me neither.

And speaking of things that never happen anymore, in my current game its already 950, starting from CM date, and Ive never been targeted by adventurers. Perhaps nomads are immune to it.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

SlothfulCobra posted:

Maybe the newer DLCs make it less common? All I'm running is the base game + Sword of Islam.

This isn't even the first time characters in this run have been excommunicated even. It's happened at least 5 times by now, most notably the day after I gave up catharism a century ago. Hell, my current ruler was excommunicated back during his regency when he was still a child.

Yeah, my guess is it's Sons of Abraham that does it.

I know before a certain point excommunication was very common and it instantly went to completely nonexistent. So it was either in a patch, or in a DLC I installed.

The no adventurers is definitely a nomad thing. In my current HRE game I get an adventurer coming for my poo poo about once every 20 years.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
Started a new game as a Mongol Zunist in Zunbil and ohmygod the expansion potential is bonkers.
At this rate, I may conquer the entirety of the Indian subcontinent within two rulers.
I may need to, too. The Abbasids are solid as they usually are and expanding into the steppes.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Eric the Mauve posted:

Yeah, my guess is it's Sons of Abraham that does it.

I know before a certain point excommunication was very common and it instantly went to completely nonexistent. So it was either in a patch, or in a DLC I installed.

The no adventurers is definitely a nomad thing. In my current HRE game I get an adventurer coming for my poo poo about once every 20 years.

It's probably Sons of Abraham. They changed how a lot of the papal mechanics worked with that DLC so I wouldn't be surprised if excommunication ended up becoming something that's still technically possible but requires circumstances that almost never come up (the Pope has to really like the person making the request, and really hate the person being excommunicated. I wouldn't be surprised if free investiture was enough to totally nullify the former on its own, either).

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Isn't it SoA that adds pope money? If so, that's it right there--any AI ruler that the pope likes is asking for money 100% of the time, not excommunications.

Snatch Duster
Feb 20, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Aschlafly posted:

No, the only correct way to play the game is Ironman++, where you commit suicide when your ruler dies and hand the keyboard to your offspring (or younger brother or uncle).

Cleaning up my uncle's reign, he hosed up and thought a crusde was smart lol. Now i am stuck with a gay queen evryone hates, i am gay but drat is this an uphill battle.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Did they change how disease, bandits, et. al. affect you when sieging? I haven't noticed any negative events like that since horse lords. Either that or I disabled all the notifications.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Ughhh I really wish that you could declare war on people who are fighting wars for the same territory you are, or at least that fighting for the same territory would make you hostile. It's the most galling loving thing to start a war, wipe out the enemy army, and in the time it takes you to do that have all the guy's chucklefuck neighbors roll in and start sieging down stuff.

Neorxenawang
Jun 9, 2003
So, I haven't played in a while, and I have no idea how this whole "designating commanders" thing works...I have ruler, a marshal, and three or four commanders designated under the "minor titles" window...why can I only assign two commanders in my armies?

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Because you only have troops on two flanks? Or because you have multiple armies and are out of commanders?

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I'm not sure how building up your court is supposed to work. I've been using the find characters option to try to invite skillful people to my court, but it is such a hassle to check each individual character to see if they're willing to accept my invitation. I also use the "invite noble/debutante/commander/holy man" options in the intrigue menu, but that's not very reliable, and I feel like there's much better uses for all that money.

And then as I expand, I need to parcel out more titles for which I need more courtiers to become vassals, and sometimes I accidentally lose the skilled people from my court, so I need to go looking again, it's a never ending cycle.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
I wish you could invite people with promises of jobs. There are plenty of times I'll be in that situation and someone will want to be a chancellor. I want them to be my chancellor, but I can only break even on the +/- list to invite.

Neorxenawang
Jun 9, 2003

Eric the Mauve posted:

Because you only have troops on two flanks? Or because you have multiple armies and are out of commanders?

I have three counties and seven barony level vassals. I raise them all, and it only lets me put two commanders in charge of any of them (including my ruler).

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

SlothfulCobra posted:

I'm not sure how building up your court is supposed to work. I've been using the find characters option to try to invite skillful people to my court, but it is such a hassle to check each individual character to see if they're willing to accept my invitation. I also use the "invite noble/debutante/commander/holy man" options in the intrigue menu, but that's not very reliable, and I feel like there's much better uses for all that money.

And then as I expand, I need to parcel out more titles for which I need more courtiers to become vassals, and sometimes I accidentally lose the skilled people from my court, so I need to go looking again, it's a never ending cycle.

Most of the time the character's opinion of you has to be 88 or more points higher than their opinion of their current liege, for them to move to your court. That means if their opinion of you is 100 (or can be raised to 100 with a bribe) then they'll accept. Sometimes they'll accept with a lower gap if they have claims (they get a "Liege X is unable to press my claims" bonus to their willingness to move). So you don't have to actually click "Invite to Court" on each one. You still have to click down the list of portraits in the character finder to see if they dislike their current liege or not though, which is loving annoying and "opinion of liege" should have been added to the character finder window ages ago.

Never use the invite courtier decisions, the people you get are usually mediocre and the money's better spent on bribing someone better to move to your court.

If you need to parcel out titles and don't have any spare dynasty members to give them to, use the character finder and filter for:

Men (unless you're Cathar)
Ruler=no
Married=no (much better if you can pick their spouse before you hand them a title)
My religion group (if they're not your religion but are in your religion group they'll still accept an invite to your court and you can force them to convert immediately after)
My culture (you *can* search outside your culture but a vassal not of your culture gets a significant opinion malus of you, so best to avoid that)
Child=no
and search for Content.
(Bonus: IMO you REALLY want to pick someone not Lustful and preferably Chaste because vassals love to pick Seduction focus and it's loving ANNOYING when they do.)

Pick the best person you find (make sure they're not set to inherit outside your realm though) who is either already in your realm or will accept an invite. When he arrives, force him to convert if necessary, arrange a wife for him, and give him the title(s).

The absolute most important thing when you're handing out titles is make 100% sure you give it to someone who is Content and doesn't already have an Ambitious oldest son, unless you have an extremely good reason to do otherwise.

(Personally when I start a new game, I like to start small, as a ruler-designed count or duke, and do very little expanding the first two or three generations; I just pump out kids and seed them around the world. Then when I'm ready to start expanding I'll have plenty of dynasty members to choose from for my vassals. You get a small opinion bonus with dynasty members and it makes Family focus pretty powerful. Only downside to having all your vassals be dynasty members is you can't have anyone whacked or executed, lest Kinslayer completely wreck your poo poo.)

Eric the Mauve fucked around with this message at 06:51 on Sep 13, 2015

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Until the genius king of Lietuva dies, I have no hope of conquering the part of Scandinavia he holds. Good thing he is old and will die soo--

I hope he gets leprosy or something.

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
yo did i screw up somewhere while modding, or do muslim merchant republics not use the decadence mechanic anymore? did they ever?

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.
I say 'they used to' from brief personal experience. But then, I'm also wondering where the siege events went.

Frogfingers
Oct 10, 2012

Bloodly posted:

I say 'they used to' from brief personal experience. But then, I'm also wondering where the siege events went.

Check your low priority messages and right click.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Could some kind king convey a crash course on Crisis of the Confederation? I have the general idea (CKII in space, travel between "counties" needs "straits" or "galleys", holdings are planets with their own mostly-unimprovable resource "buildings"), but it seems like everything is roughly twice as expensive as I think it should be and I likewise have roughly half the resources I think I should.

Like, I started as Principito, the Space Pirate folks in the lower right, and I could barely do any raiding. The only planet I could siege was literally a vanilla church (Which only got me 4 and a half gold :argh:), and nearly everything else had fort level right up to the end of the gold bar. I was also on my way to a game over because she was in her fifties with no heir and decidedly not enough money and/or tech level to clone herself.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Dareon posted:

Could some kind king convey a crash course on Crisis of the Confederation? I have the general idea (CKII in space, travel between "counties" needs "straits" or "galleys", holdings are planets with their own mostly-unimprovable resource "buildings"), but it seems like everything is roughly twice as expensive as I think it should be and I likewise have roughly half the resources I think I should.

Like, I started as Principito, the Space Pirate folks in the lower right, and I could barely do any raiding. The only planet I could siege was literally a vanilla church (Which only got me 4 and a half gold :argh:), and nearly everything else had fort level right up to the end of the gold bar. I was also on my way to a game over because she was in her fifties with no heir and decidedly not enough money and/or tech level to clone herself.

The mod isn't perfectly balanced so yeah, there are some starts that are just losing propositions. And some planets and stuff are just loving dirt poor and always will be, which makes getting the ball rolling really hard. Raiding should be quite a bit more profitable than that though, I was playing a pirate (up in the far northeast nebula, don't remember the name) and was able to raid nearby sectors with near-impunity. I can't remember for sure whether pirates rely on retinues, but take a look at those, they'll make a big difference.

There's also a pirate lady in the northwest, I think she's called Kaoru the Black Tiger, who has a pretty solid start for pirate dickery. Maybe give her a try?

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

Bloodly posted:

They seem to be pretty phenomenally improbable now. On_siege_pulse has a basic weighting of 895 for every listed event, compared to 200,000 for nothing; it won't work out exactly this way in practice because of specific event weighting, but this implies about a half a percent chance of any event firing per pulse. I'm reasonably sure this is a change from how it used to be.

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

I wish you could invite people with promises of jobs. There are plenty of times I'll be in that situation and someone will want to be a chancellor. I want them to be my chancellor, but I can only break even on the +/- list to invite.
For fucks sake, this. This. I've been trying to replace my 13 diplomacy chancellor for a generation now but I break even every time.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Tendai posted:

For fucks sake, this. This. I've been trying to replace my 13 diplomacy chancellor for a generation now but I break even every time.

The big thing that has been missing throughout the game's life has been making promises. You should be able to say "Hey come to my court and I'll make you Steward" or "Support my claim on the throne and I'll grant you another duchy and make you a Grand Duke" or "Hey guys, make me Emperor and I'll reduce Crown Authority!" or whatever.

And then you can have all kinds of clusterfucks result when you make promises you can't keep, or offer contradictory promises, or find that your chancellor/regent/heir has made some bullshit promise you never agreed to and now you've got to figure out a way out of it.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Mister Adequate posted:

The big thing that has been missing throughout the game's life has been making promises. You should be able to say "Hey come to my court and I'll make you Steward" or "Support my claim on the throne and I'll grant you another duchy and make you a Grand Duke" or "Hey guys, make me Emperor and I'll reduce Crown Authority!" or whatever.

And then you can have all kinds of clusterfucks result when you make promises you can't keep, or offer contradictory promises, or find that your chancellor/regent/heir has made some bullshit promise you never agreed to and now you've got to figure out a way out of it.

Yeah, its the biggest omission in this game, some kind of promise or deal system. Sometimes you have available jobs, dozens of titles and riches to give, and then there this jobless fucker with awesome stats in a shithole court whose ambition is to become chancellor and you cant say "hey come work for me, I will make you chancellor and give you a county too".

The way it works its backwards: instead of "do what I ask and Ill give you this and that" what we have is "I gave you this and that so now you like me and hopefully will do what I ask". Which kinda works almost the same when the target is in your realm, but not when he is outside, since there is so few choices of what you can give to foreigners.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Dareon posted:

So according to the tooltips Principito is a Pirate Republic and as such for them raiding is more of an occasional thing rather than an actual source of income, and they're supposed to mostly do smuggling rather than just stealing poo poo. Apparently Pirate Kingdoms are the guys who go do actual raiding so maybe try them.

I don't know because I'm just getting into COTC myself and have mostly been fiddling around with Military governments. It's a fantastic mod and the scale of it is so big that I'm willing to forgive some of the janky or unfinished bits I'm seeing, like the broken tooltips. Only thing that's really annoying me is the fact that every mercenary company comes with a fleet of Tunnelers(the galley equivalent) which makes their monthly cost absolutely insane. Like a company of ~250 men costs 10 gold every month because of it.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

What determines if people are taken prisoner upon a successful siege? Because raiding as Silesia, I found that one lucky siege that got me a grand chief's entire family as hostages earned me more money than raiding ever could. But then, for the rest of the night, sieges never once gave me prisoners.

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Mister Adequate posted:

I feel like this too because I'm a big history nerd and feudalism (or any inheritance-based system, really) could get so hosed up with alliances and promises and all that. But on the other hand, putting ALL of that into a game would probably be either/both incredibly hard to do or incredibly irritating to play.

Tendai fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Sep 13, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghetto Prince
Sep 11, 2010

got to be mellow, y'all
Man this game turns up some weird stories. My last heirs were twins, one an imbecile and the other a cruel , slothful gay dude who was hated by literally everyone in the kingdom; I just kept throwing the cruel gay dude into battles to try and get him killed and let his son inherit, but instead he went from tough solider to brilliant strategist , and conquered most of Greece in the process , although I had to give the kingdom to his brother because I was over vassal limit.

Weirdly, His brother turned into Zap Brannigan , a brave, proud charismatic negotiator imbecile who was loved by all his vassals.

• Locked thread